Not a smoker anymore!!!!!

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:49 pm
Rae. I am someone who went to italy on a long vacation at middle age, first long vacation in a longggggg time, and went bananas. That was a while ago now.

When I have to pick names for passwords, etc., I choose italian words..as I spent a bunch of time trying to knock italian into my skull. Ossobuco, or Osso Buco is a dish cooked in the Emilia-Romagna region that involves veal shanks. I ate it once in a small restaurant at lunch in Modena, the town Pavarotti is from. I am not a vegetarian, but am not much into killing calves. The name is more to call up italian sounds, I love the language even though I speak it quite horribly. In my mind it is music, and thus the name.

I am known by the masculine sounding name and keep it with a kind of beefy pride even though I am a woman with a lot of issues, as they say, about the beef industry and hunting. Not to mention that my name plus the avatar make me seem not very feminine. But I am, so I don't worry about it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 09:53 pm
lol.....thank you for the explanation, ma'am! Italian is a lovely language ~ I agree.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 01:21 pm
Rae! I haven't been around for a while and just read the whole thread. In a way, I am sad that you didn't make it - this time! Since I never smoked it is kind of hard for me to understand. But then again - don't take that chocolate away from me!!! And I have some experience with Stefan and quitting. Don't feel bad.

And of course he will be happy to sit outside with you and smoke when we visit the next time :-)
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:19 pm
yeahyeah, outside is gooood.!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 11:25 pm
That's where I had to go previously as well.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 11:42 pm
Thank you so much, Urs! Don't know quite how to express the feeling of carrying everyone's thoughts around with me during my quest ~ you'll just have to trust me. (I'm not psychotic, but I did hear a lot of supportive voices in my five weeks of not smoking.)

I miss you and hubby like crazy ~ you two are never far from my thoughts. Hard to believe (but happy enough to believe) that you'll be back in six months! And I can't wait! Our original meeting still seems like a dream to me ~ and I'm constantly in awe of the people (besides me and Mom) who's lives you affected.....Cindy and Daniel still ask for you ~ as well as all the clerks from the front desk.

Smoking or not, I will look forward to shooting the breeze with the two of you on our porch.....with the sea breeze blowing and the kitties to keep us entertained.

Love you to bits!

You, too, Walter! Can't thank you enough for your support. Stay on target, sir.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:02 am
Please don't beat yourself up about not being able to quit this time, Rae. You will, when the time is right, you will .... Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:40 am
Rae, maybe you just need something better to suck on.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:26 pm
Ahem.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:57 pm
Ahem, indeed. But seriously, I have gone down this road befoire, and will again, and again, and again, until I get it right. Join us, Rae?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:03 pm
Yes ma'am ~ soon as I'm ready to try again, I'll join the ranks. And I will try again.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:10 pm
OK
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:14 pm
Try your thumb. Wink
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 03:17 pm
Ahem. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:20 pm
Toothpicks....
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 07:38 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. Toothpicks, thumbs, suckers, lollipops ~ can't do any of them ~ way too much dental work at risk.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 08:26 pm
Ok, ok, those baby thingies, but they are harder to use at work....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:07 pm
Rae
I used to try very hard to quit smoking. Nothing worked. I would sometimes make it two or three weeks and not really miss tobacco. Then a puff of smoke would get blown in my face. I would go get a fresh pack and be right back where I started. Frustrated, finally, I quit trying. Then one day I noticed that I had not had a smoke in three weeks. "I guess I quit," I said. That was about ten years ago. I don't even like tobacco now.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:09 pm
That's awesome, sir! Wow!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 09:18 pm
EB: Wow is right! Great way to quit, no pressure!
0 Replies