May the calendar keep bringing
Happy Holidays to you
To you
Happy Holiday
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:15 pm
Husker,

I have heard that We Wish You a Merry Christmas has now become We Wish You a Happy Holiday.

Yeah, I'll be home for Christmas is one of my favorites. I hate to think of it being gone.

So, it seems, there are already songs that should cover the problem others have about Christmas?

hmmmmmm.........................
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:18 pm
Rocking Around the Christmas Tree

Rocking around the Christmas tree
At the Christmas party hop
Mistletoe hung where you can see
Every couple tries to stop.

Rocking around the Christmas tree,
Let the Christmas spirit ring
Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
And we'll do some caroling.

you will get a sentimental
Feeling when you hear
Voices singing let's be jolly,
Deck the halls with boughs of holly.

Rocking around the Christmas tree,
Have a happy holiday
Everyone dancing merrily
In the new old-fashioned way.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:18 pm
The songs aren't going anywhere. Sing them all you want.

Just don'tblast them through speakers on publicly owned property, or insist they be played at department stores or you won't shop there.

THAT's the issue. Not whether or not you can still buy the cd's or sing them yourself.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:19 pm
toss this baby out

Let There Be Peace On Earth

Let There Be Peace on Earth and let it begin with me.
Let There Be Peace on Earth, the peace that was meant to be!
With God as our Father, brothers all are we.
Let me walk with my brother in perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me. Let this be the moment now.
With ev'ry breath I take, let this be my solemn vow;
To take each moment and live each moment in peace eternally!
Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:23 pm
squinney,

I'd like to ask you a question if I may. Do you believe that there are those that just want to eradicate God from the public eye?

If you do, I am sure you also believe that not all that want God taken out of the public eye are doing it for the same reason? Some may be doing it for separation of church and state only? Some may be doing it because they do hate God? Like I said, I think this is all more in the intent than it is in the speaking of the words.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:33 pm
You sure are obsessed with that "hate god" crapola. It really suits your agenda to suggest that those who do not agree with you are hateful, doesn't it? That way, you can continue to tout your lies about your reasonable point of view, and the irrational point of view of your opponents. You really need to lose that "hate god" crap--because that's all it is . . . crap.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Come on Christmas is the best on , next on, passed on idea from the think tank that we all like.
0 Replies

roverroad

It has nothing to do with God in public, The problem is God in public supported by my tax dollars. The constitution says that's not allowed and the constitution overrides the bible!

I'm not offended by Christmas. You can buy me all of the presents that you want! That's what it's about after all. The practice of buying gifts for your loved ones and celebrating Santa Claus. I love Christmas. I just hate when there's nothing to watch on TV but boring bible shows on Christmas morning. It's not enough that they want my tax dollars, they have to be asking for my donations on Christmas morning, the greatest day of getting! It's like, where are Santa cartoons?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 02:55 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
squinney,

I'd like to ask you a question if I may. Do you believe that there are those that just want to eradicate God from the public eye?

Frankly, I've never yet met a Christian who feels that there are such people. But then again, Christianity is taught in state schools and there has to be at least one school Church service a week dedicated to Christian prayer and singing hymns. In other words, Christians have it good here. Genesis and therefore Creationism is taught to children, as are the Ten Commandments I assume and also Christ's teachings.

Yup. Only this year did I hear one oddball standing in the cold street shouting at people and proselytising. Heck, before I started debating with Americans I didn't even know the word proselytising existed or even what it meant.

Quote:
If you do, I am sure you also believe that not all that want God taken out of the public eye are doing it for the same reason? Some may be doing it for separation of church and state only? Some may be doing it because they do hate God? Like I said, I think this is all more in the intent than it is in the speaking of the words.

Nobody is doing it because they hate God. Nobody hates God, except for maybe punk kids that try to be Satanists but not proper LeVay Satanists. And they don't have any power and grow out of that, anyway.

There is no hatred of God. There never has been. Atheists don't hate God. What is the point of hating something that in their mind, does not exist? Agnostics can't hate God. How can you hate something you're not sure about?

If you see anyone hates Christianity, it isn't really hatred of the Christian God. It is hatred of the nutballs that call themselves His followers (and when I say nutballs, I mean the type of people that you too, MA, would consider calling nutballs). It's just those people, see the nutballs as representative of the whole religion and in essence, they're kinda nutty too.

Never has there been a hatred of God.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:02 pm
According to this morning's NYT's a number of the Mega-Churches will not be having Christmas on Christmas Day this year.

The Christian pastors feel that Christmas is a family holiday and more meaningfully celebrated at home.

As I understand it, this decision was made by Christian leaders--not by wicked, secular sabotagers.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:08 pm
Noddy,

I AM NOT SAYING THAT ANYONE THAT WANTS TO TAKE GOD OUT OF THINGS IS LIKE THAT AT ALL. (Caps for emphasis only.) I just asked a question. I personally know people that say they hate God. It was just a question. Part of the discussion. No intent behind it. I was stating there are all different types of reasons for people wanting God taken out of the public view.

Setanta,

Do you just pick out particular words I type and attack them? I know people that say, yes, they hate God. So what? I just asked Wolf a question and Wolf was kind enough to answer it honestly.

I was not accusing anyone of anything. Look, just back off ok? I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I am discussing something with others. You are the one that is putting motives to my posts, not me.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:11 pm
MA -

No, I do not believe there are any significant numbers of people or groups trying to eradicate God from the public eye. A few nutballs perhaps, but what can they accomplish? I mean, seriously, how long has God been around? Do you think He's in danger of being eradicated?

On the other hand, there are large groups of people backed by vocal leaders with plenty of money that are insisting that Christmas is in danger and that God is being eradicated from the public eye.

Let me ask you... How did you find out there was an attempt to eradicate God from the public eye or that Christ was being taken out of Christmas? Where did you learn about this? How did you get that message?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:38 pm
squinney,

First of all, no one can eradicate God. Even if His name were to disappear from the earth's view, He will always remain in the hearts of those that believe.

I asked about the ones that might be doing it to eradicate God because it seems it kind of equates (to me) to the feeling that so many have about the nutballs of Christianity. Perhaps it is the views that are focused on are the ones people think are the most prominent?

The Christians in the public eye like Pat Robertson, etc., make it look bad for Christians, and it seems this train of thought is being applied to the majority of Christians?

And, it seems that at least to some, what Christians believe is that removing God is trying to eradicate Him and we are applying this to the majority?

Perhaps both sides are taking more of the extreme into account than we should be?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:45 pm
http://snipurl.com/knel

Quote:
When Christmas Falls on Sunday, Megachurches Take the Day Off
By LAURIE GOODSTEIN
Some of the nation's most prominent megachurches have decided not to hold worship services on the Sunday that coincides with Christmas Day, a move that is generating controversy among evangelical Christians at a time when many conservative groups are battling to "put the Christ back in Christmas."

Megachurch leaders say that the decision is in keeping with their innovative and "family friendly" approach and that they are compensating in other ways. Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill., always a pacesetter among megachurches, is handing out a DVD it produced for the occasion that features a heartwarming contemporary Christmas tale.

"What we're encouraging people to do is take that DVD and in the comfort of their living room, with friends and family, pop it into the player and hopefully hear a different and more personal and maybe more intimate Christmas message, that God is with us wherever we are," said Cally Parkinson, communications director at Willow Creek, which draws 20,000 people on a typical Sunday.
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:54 pm
Offended By Christmas?
I finally found the time to read your post Momma Angel. Wow that was long!
And i liked it.. whoever wrote it must have really experienced such tretmeant from people!
And i see, she didnt like it at all!
Nowadays, here in California.. Christmas music is still played (even though I find it very sad that most places don't play Christian Christmas songs... they say that unChristians find it offensive!! )and some places are still decorated..
but i dont know..
the world changes fast
and who knows if tomorrow I will get the same treatment as the woman did if i tell someone "merry Christmas!"
It's sad.. but the world is getting worse every day
and you never know what to expect..
Maybe soon.. people wont celebrate Easter at all too! (Even though these days, instead of celebrating that Jesus rose on this day, all people do is hunt for easter eggs!)
I liked it though, momma angel, and i especially liked that you wrote your comments on it first (the marker thing, and the blaring music from open car windows- i agree!)
thanks for sharing this!
Happy early Christmas everyone! (i worte happy, because "merry early Christmas" sounded weird lol)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
squinney wrote:
...I'd love to see a giant Menorah (sp?) on the lawn of every courthouse. How many would be okay with just a giant lighted Menorah and no other decorations?

Anyone besides Jespah?...

Actually, I'm not okay with that, either. Courthouses (despite oaths on Bibles, that is meant to assure the court that people are not committing perjury. Atheists and persons without religious books affirm their oaths to provide truthful testimony) are not the land of religion, any more than any other governmental buildings should be. You know, church, state, not the same, that sort of thing.

There are several sects of Judaism. Which one would you dubiously honor by planting a menorah on the courthouse lawn? How 'bout Lubavitcher Orthodox? And if that, then why not some other of our holidays that are actually more important than Chanukah? How 'bout a Sukkot? Or a costume party on Purim? Or maybe everyone can fast and pray all day on Yom Kippur (and also not wear leather, BTW)? To dubiously (and I mean dubiously -- I do not consider this an honor to my faith) honor Judaism, you'd have to have, let's see, six Menorahs - for

Orthodox
Conservative
Reform
Reconstructionist
Lubavitcher
Satmar

I bet I'm missing one or two.

See where this gets nutty?

But it's not just about a crowded lawn (we haven't yet mentioned, hmm, Jainism, Native American spiritualism, Wicca, etc. etc. etc.). It's also about the fact that the First Amendment says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

If you put only some symbols out there and not all, are you establishing religion? Or perhaps curtailing its free exercise? It's better that the government gets out of the business of religion entirely. Private individuals and places of business can, as always, do what they please.

I mean, c'mon folks, it's the government. You really want the folks who are responsible for beautiful things like the Department of Motor Vehicles getting their hands on religion? Smile
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:19 am
hear, hear. government should have no business in peddling, favoring, or even just publically displaying symbols of one or another religion.
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:55 pm
actually.. i said that its not as bad here in california..
but if you look closely..
people ARE trying to get rid of the word christmas here too..
and almost all those people are democrats
they want christ out of christmas.. and even little things like santa claus and rudolph the red nosed reindeer.. they want them out just because they stand for christmas
i mean.. what has the world come to that we cant even celebrate christmas normally now??
and nowadays when i watch tv.. most of the songs there are "we wish you a happy holiday" instead of "we wish you a merry christmas" really...
and its sad seeing this..
because i know that starting from little thigns like this.. they will go further and further and theyll do anything to get it their way
0 Replies