Offended by Christmas?

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:05 pm
Hey Kiwichic! How are you girl?

I am glad to see that most are more concerned about the spirit of the holiday than they are by being offended by the name of the holiday.
0 Replies

DavidH

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:05 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
DavidH wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are all those not celebrated on different days?

So what? Then say Merry Christmas only on December 25th.

That sounds like an excellent idea. But then, what does one say to someone who wishes you a Merry Christmas on any other day?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:07 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
If you were Jewish and your boss would do the same, would you feel the same way?

Well Im not Jewish...so how would I know Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:09 pm
DavidH wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
DavidH wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are all those not celebrated on different days?

So what? Then say Merry Christmas only on December 25th.

That sounds like an excellent idea. But then, what does one say to someone who wishes you a Merry Christmas on any other day?

They can't. Because they might offend someone listeneing. :wink:
0 Replies

DavidH

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:11 pm
I guess we just need to smile and nod at eachother over the whole of the year and hope our point is taken. Everyone's happy, no one is offended. Sheesh.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:11 pm
Agent of Change wrote:
I've known Hindus and Sikhs who have "celebrated" Christmas in a non-Christian way by putting up decorations, a tree and having a big roast dinner. They say "Everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't we?" And fair play to them. They must be able to reconcile roast turkey and tinsel with their own religions so why not?

My Christmas will have no Christian aspects to it all, saving for a star on top of the tree (which has been there since before I was born).

In that case, I think you should get rid of the tree, because its very purpose was to remind Christians of Heaven because of the way it pointed Heaven-wards.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:13 pm
DavidH wrote:
I guess we just need to smile and nod at eachother over the whole of the year and hope our point is taken. Everyone's happy, no one is offended. Sheesh.

Maybe we should stop smiling too, in case someone thinks we are homosexual and coming on to them. That might offend them too.

And waving might be construed as a quick motion to take us down, so we'd better not do that either because we might get decked.

I think we should just wear bags over our heads and mutter only what we must to each other.

Laughing
0 Replies

DavidH

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:15 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
DavidH wrote:

Maybe we should stop smiling too, in case someone thinks we are homosexual and coming on to them. That might offend them too.

And waving might be construed as a quick motion to take us down, so we'd better not do that either because we might get decked.

I think we should just wear bags over our heads and mutter only what we must to each other.

Laughing

I don't know. That may offend the bagger at your grocery store. And those that are terminal mutterers.
We should probably just climb into bed, pull the sheets over our heads, and wait for someone to accidentally lean on the button.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:15 pm
during this season I carry a baseball bat, anyone says "happy whatever or merry xmas" I use the bat on their head and face. We atheists are like that. I read about in the papers all the time.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:16 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
DavidH wrote:
Happy Holidays sound so generic to me. The holiday is called Christmas. Always was, deal with it. .

And what about Kwanza which is celebrated December 26th to January 1st and Hanukkah which is celebrated December 25th to January 1st?

They don't count, right?

If someone made that wish to me I would return it, in kind, with a smile. If I knew that the person celebrated Kwanza or Hanukkah, I would wish them Happy Kwanza or Hanukkah. Even though I am Christian and celebrate Christmas as a Christian celebration, I am not blind to others who do not or celebrate something else.

P.S.
Even a Christian can wear a Santa hat :-)
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:18 pm
DavidH wrote:

.... or we could all just pass each other by without looking or acknowledging and then maybe that shall do the trick :wink:

Hey MA Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:19 pm
Intrepid wrote:

If someone made that wish to me I would return it, in kind, with a smile. If I knew that the person celebrated Kwanza or Hanukkah, I would wish them Happy Kwanza or Hanukkah. Even though I am Christian and celebrate Christmas as a Christian celebration, I am not blind to others who do not or celebrate something else.

The point I was trying to make is that this season is not just the Christmas season. It's the Hanukka and Kwanza season too, which is my reasoning for Happy Holiday's in public places, like Target and the grocery store.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:19 pm
KiwiChic wrote:

Well Im not Jewish...so how would I know Rolling Eyes

oh i see. so since you're not jewish, who cares about them, right?

i have no problem with merry christmas plastered everywhere. i'm from europe, where it isn't an issue. but the logic behind 'merry christmas' defenders astounds me. in fact, it's not the logic that astounds me. It's its' complete absence.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:20 pm
I'll adopt any holiday as my own and celebrate them just like the people around me do.

I took on Thanksgiving as a celebration I now participate in, even though I have no particular views on the history that started it.

I wish Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friend and will celebrate with her, eating food and visiting other Jewish friends.

In return, I'd prefer that other people not stomp all over my fond memories of Christmastime.

All this politically correct crap is just making me want to vomit. If this was another religion and it was messed around with like this, you can bet those churches/religious leaders would yell and scream. Apparently it is okay to dilute the message of Christmas because it is assumed that we are wishy-washy and the real celebration has been lost among all the greed and excess.

I grew up a Catholic and although I am not a religious fanatic (I'm not a practising Catholic any longer) this doesn't mean that I don't want to have some friggin joy once a year and get excited about something! Jeez, must we all turn into blank slates of no opinion or cultural preferences so we don't happen to offend anyone else?

I don't **** all over other peoples holidays so I'd like the favor returned.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:21 pm
...someone enlighten me please, what's Kwanza????
0 Replies

DavidH

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:23 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

The point I was trying to make is that this season is not just the Christmas season. It's the Hanukka and Kwanza season too, which is my reasoning for Happy Holiday's in public places, like Target and the grocery store.

And I agree, but for me, the holiday has always been called Christmas, not just the day. I'll wish anyone a happy whatever they want to observe or celebrate. I just wish everyone could agree on something other than Happy Holidays. Or maybe I'm just biased having been brought up in a Christian household.
I guess there's no way around it. America's just too large of a melting pot. There are too many holidays this time of the year. Happy Holidays it is.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:25 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
...someone enlighten me please, what's Kwanza????

Kwanza is a non-religious African American holiday which celebrates family, community, and culture. It is celebrated for seven days: December 26 - January 1.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:26 pm
The Values of Kwanzaa

HERE IS NO WAY TO UNDERSTAND and appreciate the meaning and message of Kwanzaa without understanding and appreciating its profound and pervasive concern with values. In fact. Kwanzaa's reason for existence, its length of seven days, its core focus and its foundation are all rooted in its concern with values. Kwanzaa inherits this value concern and focus from Kawaida, the African philosophical framework in which it was created. Kawaida philosophy is a communitarian African philosophy which is an ongoing synthesis of the best of African thought and practice in constant exchange with the world.

The Nguzo Saba
(The Seven Principles)
Dr. Maulana Karenga

Kwanzaa was created to introduce and reinforce seven basic values of African culture which contribute to building and reinforcing family, community and culture among African American people as well as Africans throughout the world African community. These values are called the Nguzo Saba which in Swahili means the Seven Principles. Developed by Dr. Karenga, the Nguzo Saba stand at the heart of the origin and meaning of Kwanzaa, for it is these values which are not only the building blocks for community but also serve to reinforce and enhance them.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:31 pm
No wonder Ive never heard of Kwanza...thank you for the info!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:32 pm
it's becoming more and more popular especially in the states.
0 Replies