Offended by Christmas?

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
I just received this and I wanted to post it. I realize it may cause some discord but I am very interested in hearing all sides on this. BTW, I am not for the part about getting a marker and using it on anyone else's property nor do I think it is very polite to roll down your car windows and blast the music.

Offended By Christmas?
By Debbie Daniel

I'm on a "Merry Christmas" mission and I'm in full throttle. My little yellow VW Beetle has turned into a Christmas billboard with Merry Christmas written across the back window. Yes, I've decided to trek off to work everyday on the public highways with a message that seems to offend people.

At stop lights, I even turn my music up a little louder, and to top it off, I sing along with it. Don't I know that stopping at a red light to roll my windows down only to share the joy of Christmas carols on public streets is a No-No? Don't I fear the Christmas Gestapo and those who would have me remove the written message from my car?

I'm sorry folks, but the only person I'm concerned about "offending" during this Christmas season is the Lord himself. LEAVE THAT MANGER ALONE! We've allowed the Baby Jesus to be kicked out of His lowly manger, and those offended by Christmas are still not happy.

I refuse to let this happen. I'm going to do my part to make sure "Merry Christmas" doesn't become extinct. Because like it or not, if the believers in Christmas don't take a stand now, it's gone forever.

Listen folks, the Christian community has been underestimated before; we will have to show ourselves again.

I walked into a Wendy's Restaurant the other day and was rather exuberant with my "Merry Christmas" greeting to the manager. He didn't have much of a response and I said, "Where's your Christmas
spirit?" He said, "We're not allowed to use the words "Merry Christmas" when greeting customers. We can only say "Happy Holiday."

This morning I grabbed a quick breakfast at a Whataburger Restaurant. I noticed there wasn't a single decoration in the store. I asked the manager why they weren't decorated for Christmas. He told me the corporate headquarters decided not to send any decorations to any of their stores, and he didn't know why.

After I heard about all the Macy's and Federated Stores taking down their Merry Christmas signs, the Target stores not allowing the Salvation Army to "Ring the Christmas bells," and the many incidents of children, choirs, and bands not allowed to play or sing Christmas carols, I realized it was happening right here in my own little Texas town.

How can this be? Not Texas!

We do, however, have a store, Hobby Lobby, that plays nothing but Christmas carols during the season. On Christmas Day they run a full page ad in our local newspaper. That ad is not to promote the store, but uses the entire page to tell the story of Jesus' birth. Now that's taking a stand. We need to thank them.

When I saw a news report the other evening of children being taught new words to a song we've sung for years - "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" - I was saddened to hear "We Wish You a Splendid Holiday."

I know now that it's just a matter of time that the "Merry Christmas" greetings will be gone.. Look around your town. Notice the "Holiday" greetings and not "Christmas." It's happening right before our very eyes.

Start singing the songs; go down the streets of America singing to your heart's content. Get some of those wash-off markers that these kids use to write on their car windows when they're rooting for their hometown football team. It's easy to do, and if a torrential rain washes it off, write it on there again.

We've got to get this message out. "Go Tell It On the Mountain . . . that Jesus Christ is Born." Sing it, speak it, be a billboard for our Lord.

The story of this "Baby Jesus" alone has brought about more goodwill at this time of year than any other day we celebrate. How can we sit back and allow Him to be snuffed out of our lives?

Is it Jesus, or is it His followers that the "offended" don't like? What kind of revulsion galvanizes one to campaign so vehemently against the mere mention of His name, the mere singing of a carol, or the mere visual of a sign that says "Merry Christmas?"

I can listen to my own boss at work use some of the vilest words and follow up with, "Excuse my French." I may cringe inside at his damning of God's name, but I tolerate it. So if you don't like me wishing you a "Merry Christmas," I'll say, "Excuse my joy." You may cringe that I celebrate the birth of Jesus, but just tolerate it.

I cannot be concerned that "Merry Christmas" offends you. If I'm not careful, the day will come when saying I'm a Christian will offend you.

I'm offended that you're offended. How about that?

When we get to a point that we can no longer take part in a tradition we hold dear, we have no choice; we either defend that tradition or we give it up to those who say NO. That's it . . . period. So, which will it be?

I'm not giving up my "Merry Christmas" joy to anyone. If I know of someone that celebrates another holiday during this time of year, I will be glad to wish them whatever holiday they want. Just tell me what it is and I'll shout it to the world and wish you a grand celebration.

Just give me Christmas. To you merchants: Stop being so hypocritical and "filling your tills" on the back of Jesus! Who do you think is the symbol of giving at this time of year? It was the wise men bringing gifts to the newborn Christ-child.

You want your coffers full, but have ordered your employees to take down all the Merry Christmas signs. If that's the case, I'll buy gifts at a place that understands my joy.

If you're worried about offending someone, you just did. The most recent Newsweek survey shows that 82% of Americans believe that Jesus is the Son of God. So, in trying not to offend a few, you've offended many.

It's okay to jump into the "Merry Christmas" spirit when it fills your cash register, but let's call it something else . .. . and don't stop giving . . . and don't stop buying. . . we'll just change the name and you'll never know the difference.

I know the difference and I'm feeling it greatly. It's hard not to be aware that townships across our country have actually banned the singing of Christmas carols because it might offend someone. And it's not just the religious songs; it's the secular ones too. No more "Jingle Bells" or "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" because they're associated with Christmas. Boy, aren't we getting sensitive?

If we're not celebrating Christmas for the hope it gives with the birth of our Savior . . . there is no hope! I noticed a few years ago that we changed the name of Abraham Lincoln's and George Washington's birthday so as to be all inclusive regarding the Presidents. Hark, if we should recognize anyone as exceptional.. Now it's called Presidents' Day.

Well, if we're going to be so all inclusive, next month I'll have to refer to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as Civil Rights Leaders' Day. We don't want to exclude great Americans like Rosa Parks or Cesar Chavez, do we? And to think that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton might be left out.

We might need to change Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Grandparents' Day to All Parents' Day. Just lump them all together.

It sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? So what's the difference?

My freedom to celebrate Christmas in the tradition of the Christian religion is as much my right as it is your right to be offended by it. So what are we going to do? Did anyone hear me . . . what are we going to do?

Do we defend a person's right to go forward with a time tested tradition (how about 2000 years?), or do we defend a person's right to end it all because they're offended? As long as we live in this great land and have the freedom to express ourselves and what we believe in, we will always offend someone.

If we try to make everything right for everyone, we won't have anything for anyone.

May you always have Christmas in your heart!

And by the Way.... Merry Christmas!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,879 • Replies: 192
No top replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:07 pm
You know, I've always been afraid to offend someone, so whenever I use the phrase, "Happy Christmas" I always tag on "Happy New Year" whenever I can.

Frankly, why should we shout out, Happy Christmas?

Is that not assuming that other people are Christians? They might not be. I tend to avoid using that phrase because I don't want to sound too presumptious, although why I should do that in a country like the United Kingdom where three-quarters of those surveyed claim to be Christian, I have no idea.

Surely, however, there must be a halfway point that we can find?

Stores are right to say, Happy Holidays, instead. It is a certainly good halfway point. Holidays refers to any Holiday, including Christmas. But I'm not sure about getting rid of mangers. They're holiday decorations too, aren't they?

(Still, we don't have that problem over here. Stores and restaurants tend not to have mangers coz they take up space and space is very precious here in the UK, especially in places like London).

Why don't the store clerks only respond "Happy Christmas" to customers who give them that greeting in the first place? Hm, but that would make greeting customers awkward.

Dang it! Why do you Americans have to make religion such a thorny problem? We've never had a problem like this over here in the UK and frankly, I hope the trend of the UK copying the US doesn't extend to religion because I certainly don't like this headache.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:30 pm
Wolf,

Thank you so much. Yes, why can't we find a halfway point? Compromise. It can be such an effective tool but it seems too many want it their way or no way.

Thank you again.
0 Replies

DavidH

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:32 pm
Welcome to the new politically correct America, where each word is an old stick of dynamite you're juggling. Fun, isn't it?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:35 pm
I can't think of a more truer statement than that DavidH. It's becoming pretty bad when almost anything you say anymore can be considered offensive to someone. I guess it has probably always been that way but I think society is just becoming less tolerant of differences than it used to be.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Momma Angel wrote:
Wolf,

Thank you so much. Yes, why can't we find a halfway point? Compromise. It can be such an effective tool but it seems too many want it their way or no way.

Thank you again.

What would the compromise be?
0 Replies

neologist

I don't celebrate Christmas. I consider it a pagan insult to God. Nevertheless, when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I understand it to mean that he or she is offering a heartfelt and kind wish. No need to rain on someone's parade; I say thank you and move on.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:37 pm
Not to mention, it isn't about offending anyone. It's about including everyone, even the evil Non-Christians, in this pagen holiday we call Christmas.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:40 pm
Do you want to know of someone who was really offended by Christmass. Look at the English Puritans (evangelical Protestants) of the 16th and 17th century. It was illegal to celebrate Christmass in Massachusetts before 1690
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:48 pm
that's right. I'm a heathen from cradle to grave, yet we celebrate christmas. the winter solistice festivities which were taken by the church to stop pagans from celebrating their unchristian holidays was merged with christmas. but it's full of old pagan rites - the tree, the chain, lots of other little things in eastern europe (carp, walnuts thrown into four corners, cutting apple, putting chain around table, carp scale into wallet.......)

it was merged with the birth of jesus. never offended me, i never even thought about it twice until this craziness started, as usual, in america. ridiculous.

although if i met that woman on the street, she wouldn't really strike me as someone to feel sympathy towards. she's not spreading love for jesus, she's not reaching out to people. her mission is to piss people off, she sounds like one mean bitter b*tch, excuse my language. I would honestly think she's a little deranged and just moved the hell away from her STAT.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:54 pm
I am so grateful I live in a place that celebrates Christmas as it always has been......I have never heard such trivial nonsense as people being offended with and taking down signs of the words "Merry Christmas"
to replace with "Happy Holidays"..it even sounds odd saying it.

Not only 2 minutes ago a sales Rep walked into my office and said "You have a Merry Christmas" and I said "you too"...if she had said you have a Happy Holiday...I would think am I going somewhere???

So Merry Christmas everyone!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:58 pm
If you were Jewish and your boss would do the same, would you feel the same way?

I don't care either way. If it's Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, what counts is the wish itself.
0 Replies

DavidH

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:58 pm
Happy Holidays sound so generic to me. The holiday is called Christmas. Always was, deal with it. I'm an atheist and even I'll call it by it's proper name. There are other holidays during the year; why are none offended by those? Are we going to lose Easter next, and begin to say Happy Other Holiday? Or why not just change Thanksgiving to Turkey Day so people don't mistake that for a religious holiday? Ridiculous.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:59 pm
The holiday is not called Christmas for everyone. For some it's Hannukah. For some there's Kwanzaa. Other chose to just stay home and relax without celebrating much of anything. It's called Christmas for you, me, and many others, but certainly not for everyone.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:00 pm
DavidH wrote:
Happy Holidays sound so generic to me. The holiday is called Christmas. Always was, deal with it. I'm an atheist and even I'll call it by it's proper name. There are other holidays during the year; why are none offended by those? Are we going to lose Easter next, and begin to say Happy Other Holiday? Or why not just change Thanksgiving to Turkey Day so people don't mistake that for a religious holiday? Ridiculous.

Yes, but the only difference is that only Christmas coincides with a holiday of a different religion where you are justified to say, Happy. I don't think Easter coincides with any other holiday, not even Passover.
0 Replies

DavidH

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:02 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
The holiday is not called Christmas for everyone. For some it's Hannukah. For some there's Kwanzaa. Other chose to just stay home and relax without celebrating much of anything. It's called Christmas for you, me, and many others, but certainly not for everyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are all those not celebrated on different days? I'd wish a happy all of them to all if I could, but regrettably I am not educated on when all these are celebrated. Only Christmas, which is how it appears on every calander I've ever seen. It just seems silly to call it by something so generic as "Holiday".
And, please do correct me if I'm wrong about when Hannukah and Kwanzaa are celebrated. I'm curious to know.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:03 pm
DavidH wrote:
Happy Holidays sound so generic to me. The holiday is called Christmas. Always was, deal with it. .

And what about Kwanza which is celebrated December 26th to January 1st and Hanukkah which is celebrated December 25th to January 1st?

They don't count, right?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:04 pm
DavidH wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are all those not celebrated on different days?

So what? Then say Merry Christmas only on December 25th.
0 Replies

DavidH

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:04 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
DavidH wrote:
Happy Holidays sound so generic to me. The holiday is called Christmas. Always was, deal with it. .

And what about Kwanza which is celebrated December 26th to January 1st and Hanukkah which is celebrated December 25th to January 1st?

They don't count, right?

I'm not saying they don't count. Look at my other post, where I ask for an explaination of when they are. But the fact is, Christmas is (or was) the accepted term for the holiday, so why can we not use that?
0 Replies

Agent of Change

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:05 pm
I've known Hindus and Sikhs who have "celebrated" Christmas in a non-Christian way by putting up decorations, a tree and having a big roast dinner. They say "Everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't we?" And fair play to them. They must be able to reconcile roast turkey and tinsel with their own religions so why not?

My Christmas will have no Christian aspects to it all, saving for a star on top of the tree (which has been there since before I was born).
0 Replies