Working Stiff - Countdown to Retirement

Reyn

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:25 pm
Yeah, I've got neighbors like that... Laughing

I try to put the anti-social cloak on though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 06:00 pm
Got a resident that's taken fussiness beyond ridiculous. Through her stay, nothing has been exactly right with her. The biggest point of contention has been the electric range. During her first week of residence, she said the stove did not cook well. I put new elements on it and replaced the oven switch and thermostat. To no avail. After a few weeks of her complaining, I took a reange out of an empty apartment and gave that one to her. After a few days, the complaints began again. Because the ranges are old, I tend to listen when they complain. I did the element and thermostat thing on that one. Still with the complaints. Finally, I bought her a new one from Sears. After a week of use, she told me it was wonderful. After the second or third week, she began telling my helper the stove is just not right. She suggested maybe the plug or the breaker was malfunctioning. This did not make real sense, because, she told him that it cooked well at times, but not always. I figure if it works well every other day, it has to be the user's fault, But, the apartment is 23 years old. We checked the electric for faulty parts. Everything checked out. I tried to tell her that the recipes on packages were made up in far off cities, and that their instructions probably have to be adjusted to allow for different conditions, such as elevation, climate, etc. She cut me off in mid thought and said the stove undercooks and she has to leave the food in too long. I'm not sure; I think she said it can also overcook in the allotted time. I give up. Any further action will have to be conducted between her and management. Incidentally, the first two ranges are in use, and the users have not uttered one complaint.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:41 pm
Edgar, isn't it obvious what's going on here? She's sweet on you and is looking for reasons for you to attend to her. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 10:16 pm
Actually, she looks down when I pass her on the sidewalk and rarely answers my greeting. She comes up to my helper when she thinks I don't see, figuring he is the key to getting stuff out of me. He tells the residents the sky's the limit, practically, because he wants to be noticed and to feel important. Well, I fell for it twice with her. That's the limit.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:47 am
Well, if not that, then it's got to be a compulsion of some kind.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:02 am
When we replaced her air conditioning, she went around for over a week, claiming to smell leaking gas.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:25 am
Something must be leaking in the brain then. Probably should be on meds.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:27 am
We have four residents much like her.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:27 am
Perhaps she'd be happier at another facility....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:53 am
... doesn't sound like it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:37 am
I have long ago discovered, that when a resident you don't want moves away, another of equal objectionable qualities takes their place. The trade off is negligible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:28 pm
Well, I finished my course in sexual harrassment with a score of 93, this evening. I am once again in good with the establishment.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 09:55 pm
Hey, Edgar, I applied for a job at my local Wal-Mart this morning. I've got an interview next Tuesday at 9am. I'm actually looking forward to it.

I hope they offer employees discounts for merchandise. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 09:58 pm
Yeah, a man's got to keep busy. I plan to seek another job after I retire from this one. One reason, I will need the money, but, also, I have a tendency when off work to sit too much. Not good.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:20 pm
Laughing Hey......echo......echo.....echo..... Laughing ah, you had time to edit them....hehe!

Yup, I'm just looking for 15 hours, or so, per week. So, I think all will be well.

Probably, they're hiring for the christmas season at this point, but it may be a good way to get my foot in the door. I really want to do it all year round.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:21 pm
There's usually room for a good man. I would be optimistic if I were in your shoes.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:23 pm
I like the casual dress. Here, they only wear a blue vest (over their own clothing, of course! Laughing ). Or, some stocking folks only have to wear an ID card around their neck.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:52 pm
Cossack is the standard dress in American Walmarts. I don't know why. They look elegant standing there.

Well, yesterday, I got a page because a lady's oven quit working (bad element). While not technically an emergency, she would not have been able to make Thanksgiving dinner. I slipped over there and fixed it. About an hour ago, another page brought me to an apartment with a noisy refrigerator. I removed a glass dish with some loose metal items in it from the top of it. The refrigerator became very quiet. But, because of the vibrations and a few other factors, I put a note on the manager's desk, asking her to order the resident a fridge. After all, it will soon be 24 years old.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 06:12 am
My only regular helper these days is a man on disability, who can only work three days per week, four hours at a time. He has it pretty easy. Some days he works good and accomplishes a lot. Others, he wastes his and my time all morning long. I rarely get onto him over anything. Lately, his attitude about the job has soured. He thinks that because of his disability and short working hours, the company ought to give him a tax free bonus of about $1,500 this year. Well, they are giving us a probable $100, taxed. He says he will talk to either the owners or the management company himself, if the manager doesn't get some action. 'Nother dead man walking. I'm beginning to wish for his resignation.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 11:07 am
Well, Edgar, it'll be a year soon that I will have left work.

Nothing on the part time job front has come up yet. I was quite disappointed that the Wal-Mart thing didn't pan out. I was kind of hoping I would have been able to slide in there.

Not much in the Want Ads this time of year. I'm seriously thinking of taking a dishwasher job. No one else has got much use for a broken down old ex-meter reader.
0 Replies