Working Stiff - Countdown to Retirement

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:04 pm
Hey Rain, consider this, before I retired I planned to sleep late. Like sleep until I wanted to arise. I still arise between 4:30 and 5 a.m. I hate it. One day last summer I stayed in bed til 7 just to prove to meself that I could.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:07 pm
I don't ever want to sleep late. It just ain't in me. On weekends I get up at the same time as workdays. When I retire I want to get up each morning and run with my dog. That should keep the old ticker buzzing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:23 pm
my dog won't getout of bed til the lady diane does, around 7.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:45 pm
My dog so loves to play, at the slightest movement she is up and running, as rowdy as they come. She really needs a younger, more energetic pal than me.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:26 am
Well, during the week, Vivienne and I are up at 6am. To us, a "lie-in" means 7am, or <gasp> maybe 7:30am.

We've got cats, and anybody else who has 'em, knows what I mean.

Probably during the week we may sleep in until 6:30am or so, but I doubt it. Our considerate neighbor next door frequently puts the dog out before 6am and it sometimes barks. Mad We don't live in a house though, but in a strata townhouse.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:57 am
Back on the job after a week off. Oh, it's lovely.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:06 pm
So, you've been slacking off for a week, eh? :wink:

What kind of work would you be looking for if you were a retired maintenance man?

Me, I haven't formulated anything yet, except I have some things that I want in a future job. Like:

-- must be an indoor job (no more working in all weather and stepping in dog poop for me)
-- no shift work; prefer daytime hours
-- prefer no customer service type job
-- no more than 3 days per week; several 4 hour shifts would be good

I've got a tentative resume together that should do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:25 pm
Might get on at Lowe's. They hire retired geezers sometimes. It has to be something that keeps me moving. I don't want a night watch or something equally boring.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:45 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Might get on at Lowe's. They hire retired geezers sometimes.

Hey that sounds good! With your maintenance job experience, you should be shoo-in for a position like that. so long there's no heavy lifting involved.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:01 am
Edgar and Reyn
Edgar and Reyn, have either of you considered making retirement money by being sperm donors?

BBB Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm
ahem.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:17 pm
Quite a day. I did door to door trash pick up (the stairs are a killer), spread 450 lbs. of rye grass seed with one of those little two wheel spreaders, did odd repairs to an apartment, then shampooed it. All in 8 hours and ten minutes, with breaks to keep my helpers lined up. I need an after hours job to keep me busy.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:28 pm
Re: Edgar and Reyn
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Edgar and Reyn, have either of you considered making retirement money by being sperm donors?

Actually, that thought had never crossed my mind, but quite impossible for me, as I had The Procedure done about 20 odd years ago.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:29 pm
so Rain, how many days left, oh and remind me to tell the story of my best friend the meter reader.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:29 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Quite a day. I did door to door trash pick up (the stairs are a killer), spread 450 lbs. of rye grass seed with one of those little two wheel spreaders, did odd repairs to an apartment, then shampooed it. All in 8 hours and ten minutes, with breaks to keep my helpers lined up. I need an after hours job to keep me busy.

You know, I just can't see why you'd want to retire from a dream job like that. :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:31 pm
dyslexia wrote:
so Rain, how many days left, oh and remind me to tell the story of my best friend the meter reader.

As of today, Dys, there's 8 working days left.

Gee, am I your best friend? Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:33 pm
No rain, my best friend was a meter reader in Pueblo colorado, eventually he became the credit manager for the power and gas co and one day he went to a customer to demand payment and the customer beat him to death with a wrench. he never made it to retirement.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:46 pm
That's a terrible story. I'm very sorry for your friend. Hopefully, that person is rotting in jail now.

This job has a lot of potential dangers in it. That's one of the reasons that I'm retiring from it. I don't collect money, but there's a lot of nutballs around with rottweilers and pitbulls. Mad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:53 pm
yeah I hear you rain, my friend was mostly a meter reder but late is his career got promoted, he really prefered to stay a meter reader because he had all the routes down pat so he could be done by noon and do his real life thing which was art. He was 51 when he was beaten to death. The man was adjudged insane.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:01 pm
That must have been a long time ago.

Nowadays, in this job there's no such thing anymore (here anyways) of being done "by noon". It might have been in the old days of paper ledger books and pencil, but these days, it's all electronic handheld processors. Everything is timed, checked, and statistics trotted out.

All time has to be accounted for. This used to be a not too bad of a job before that.
0 Replies