Working Stiff - Countdown to Retirement

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 02:38 pm
I am reminded of a story by H D Thoreau. An uneducated native American (an Indian), watched how people in town garnered money. They performed a service, or perhaps sold things they made. After a bit of pondering, he wove some crude baskets. They were so wretched, nobody could have found a possible use for them. When he set out to peddle a few, and was rebuffed, he complained, "Are you trying to starve me?"

Perhaps you might make something to sell, such as wood craft, or is there a way to get firewood to sell? Got to be something there.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 03:02 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Perhaps you might make something to sell, such as wood craft, or is there a way to get firewood to sell? Got to be something there.

Laughing I am reminded of the days that I used to be a seller of various things at our local flea market. It bombed. I think I at least broke even. The end.

I am terrible at crafts. I have no talents.

And even if I were able to make something, folks expect to buy it at giveaway prices.

My wife used to sell crafty stuff at a craft fair just before Christmas time. People are so cheeky, it's unbelieveable.

Also in the past, I've tried various home businesses which went nowheres. Again, I was very lucky just to break even, by being able to write stuff off on my taxes.

I'm at a time now in my life that I don't ask for or look for much anymore. Keep it simple.

This is why I may go around to my local restaurants and see if I can round up a dishwashing job. At least it's honest and will pay as good as anything else I'll be able to find and that could be hired for. I'm only looking to clear about $300 per month, so I don't need that many hours.

We'll see. I might hold off to Jan or feb, but I got to get my butt in gear.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 03:06 pm
Well, working in a restaurant, in whatever capacity, is honest work. I have done it. It's not so bad.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 03:25 pm
I worked for McDonald's for 2 years before my meter reading days. that was back in the 1970s.

Some guys, like yourself, are handy with their hands. I'm not one of those. So, all I can really offer is labour.

The thing is, I want an indoors job and would prefer to work only part time. Ironically, there have been some full time jobs I could have gotten, but I really don't want to do that. Doesn't seem like much of a retirement otherwise.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 04:01 pm
I wonder if I, as the owner of four retail stores with some 32 employees, can make some comments, Reyn. You may, if you are thin-skinned, might prefer not to hear them.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 09:49 pm
You're going to tell me I'm too old and washed up?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 09:58 pm
reyn :
even in our small town of kingston/ontario there seem to be plenty of jobs that go begging .
just today noticed that loblaw's supermarket had erected a huge sign in their parking lot advertising for staff : part-time , full-time , day-time , evening shift ...
also home-depot , rona , canadian tire and sears are looking for part-time staff almost all the time - some are now even offering benefits !
hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 09:05 am
H,

Here, HD and Rona prefer folks with hardware experience, CT I know about. My daughter works part time in the one here. Best to stay away. Safeway did have a sign out a while back. Perhaps I should have applied there.

So, the choices are somewhat limited, especially this time of year. I may have to do some more waiting.

Have no idea why Wal-Mart didn't take me on. I was available all store hours.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:56 pm
Well, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I just found a Job Bank site run by our federal gov't. It's quite good. Many jobs that never make the local papers.

I applied for a job as an egg inspector. Don't laugh.....it pays $15 per hour, surprisingly! I guess it's to inspect eggs for grade and cracks, etc.

The hours suit me, too. Two full shifts a week (15 hours). One day and one night.

The qualifications I can handle. The job closes Jan 6th, so a while to wait to see if I even get an interview.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 04:16 pm
I'm not sure I eggree, Reyn. I don't think that job's all it's cracked up to be.

Too much, eggcitement. And the hours are probably eggscruciating.

(Sorry ... poor yolk on my part.)

But don't be shellfish ... let us know how it turns out for you.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 04:20 pm
Reyn wrote:
You're going to tell me I'm too old and washed up?

No, not at all, Reyn. I was going to suggest that I hope your sense of defeatism is something you do here, but not something you carry with you when you interview for a job.
I was going to suggest that your maturity is actually a bit of an asset. If you are scheduled to work, say noon to six, you will likely be here a bit before noon and won't find it necessary to waste the first 15 minutes talking about some movie you had seen last night.
I was going to suggest that 15 hours a week can be tough on an employer like me unless you have very specific job tasks assigned. If you don't have something specific assigned (typical in a small business such as mine) I have to think about, hmmn, Reyn will be in at noon. What do I need him to do today.

Each of my stores works with Social Service agencies to employ folks with various disabilities. The agencies are eager to place these folks and the cost to me is minimal, a few hundred bucks a week. But every week it is a bitch to think of things that will, in the spirit of the programs, keep the people occupied. That is not the case here, of course. But I hope you catch my take.

Egg inspector, huh?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 05:32 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I'm not sure I eggree, Reyn. I don't think that job's all it's cracked up to be.

Too much, eggcitement. And the hours are probably eggscruciating.

(Sorry ... poor yolk on my part.)

But don't be shellfish ... let us know how it turns out for you.

Laughing Laughing Joker...... :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 05:38 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
I was going to suggest that 15 hours a week can be tough on an employer like me unless you have very specific job tasks assigned.

The job is advertised that way. So, obviously the employer has very specific needs.....that just happens to suit me just fine.

Yes, I just grouse here (I give 110% on a job), as I'm surprised that it's taken this long to come up with a half-way decent part time job.

If I get this job (and I'm realistic not to hold my breath), I'll clear a lot more money than I had (or was) been looking for.

I drove by the work location today, just to get a rough idea of what the plant looks like. Nicely only about a 12 minute drive from home.

Fingers crossed....
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 06:16 pm
a/c to google , this is the job of an egg inspector !
and reyn will be paid $15 an hour for that !
WOW !

(anyway , good luck , reyn ! i'm glad you found something you might enjoy - even though i'm afraid google is a tad too generous - so don't be disappointed if you have to inspect ordinary eggs :wink: )
hbg

http://www.borstelman.com/digitalgallery3/images/The-Egg-Inspector.jpg

i'm sorry to tell you , but it's going to be more like this :
http://ucoop-tr.comway.co.jp/egg/ml/binagreen/image/inspector.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:27 pm
Laughing Yeah, I'm doubting the naked attire as well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:40 pm
I have always liked chickens- -eating them, eating their eggs, also as pets. Good move, reyn.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:51 pm
Hi edgar, Are you gonna be able to attend some of our a2k gatherings after your retirement?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:56 pm
You don't know how impoverished I am, CI. I may not be able to go, unless they are relatively close to home. In the past, I did not truly want to make any meetings, but, now I do.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:47 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
... Good move, reyn.

hehe, Only one hurdle left. I actually have to get the job. I know it's a minor thing, but it's in the cards, right? :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:02 pm
It would be foolish to appear for work prior to the act of being hired, agreed.
0 Replies