Working Stiff - Countdown to Retirement

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:13 pm
Say, perty neat. Thank you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:56 am
I get hailed as the "greatest" on my job, daily. Why? I'm no smarter than the next Joe. When asked technical questions, or little factoids, such as, "How much are you paying for the refrigeraters you're buying?" I stammer and often give out the wrong info. My help constantly praises me for being so good, but tries to find a different way to do things after I give out detailed instructions. The only thing I can see is, I have the energy to produce, year in and year out, as the others fall to the wayside. While they complain of the heat and other conditions, I focus on getting a competent job done. When I came to work here, 14 years ago, I was in a subordinate position. Little projects I thought would be useful were brushed aside. Well, those who brushed have been swept away. And some of those little projects have been accomplished all these years later.

An instance:
14 years ago, the sidewalk behind building five constituted a trap for water mud and other debris, because it had been poured lower than the landscaping. Somebody had tried to correct the mistake by topping it with about two inches of concrete, but it didn't help. The sprinklers kept it wet and muddy. A rain made it almost impassable. Early on, I asked the supervisor, "Why don't you let me dig the dirt away from the sidewalk and create a channel for it to drain?" He treated me as if I were stupid for suggesting it.

For another couple of years, we spent all kinds of time hosing away the mud. Then the supervisor had the bright idea to put metal edging around the landscaping, to keep the mud in the beds. I warned him that it constituted a tripping hazard, and that a person hitting the metal could be maimed or killed. To no avail, and, of course, it didn't change a thing, mud and water wise.

The property owners finally had an idea, which was quickly tried. A contractor covered the whole strip of it with indoor/outdoor carpet.

For several months, it worked pretty well. They high fived one another, thinking the problem had ended. But, the edging made sure the carpet trapped both mud and water, and it rotted. Soon we had a mess ten times worse than ever.

They fired my supervisor for unrelated reasons and gave me his position. One of my first actions was taking up the edging (at least three persons got hurt on it, but failed to take action) and carpet.

Back to square one.

I told the manager my idea to make a trench along the sidewalk. She told me it was bad enough without digging and adding to the problem. "No, I want you to build a bridge over it, a thing of beauty for the residents to enjoy."

Crap. A hundred foot bridge that had to allow for converging traffic at both ends.

I spent weeks, making plans, rejecting plans, walking from end to end, measuring, considering- -in the end, I quit consulting with the manager. I bought the longest, straightest board I could find. I laid it on the ground next to the sidewalk, in various locatons, until convinced it was all perfectly level. Then, despite the fact the trench would have to go the length and width of the building before emptying onto the driveway, I started digging.

The initial result was far from esthetic, but a rain came and proved its effectiveness right away. Now, six years later, the walk looks natural, with the grass up against it and no mud washing over it. I rarely have to clean that area.

So, having long range plans, being stubborn about getting things done- -This is why I am a success. The smart guys come and go, but I am here until I make the choice to leave.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 10:05 am
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ogXj13TcfeVL6M:http://www.arabia-felix.com/uploads/horses_arabian.jpg
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 10:07 am
So sorry! I posted the above while trying out various images. It wasn't meant to be here. Sorry for the intrusion. I obviously need more practice.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 10:11 am
Edgar, is it possible to give yourself a High 5?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 10:21 am
Hi Diane and Reyn
It's a beautiful day here. Hope all is well at your end.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 10:35 am
Edgar, thanks for asking. Yes, we are having a lovely day. My son and his girlfriend are arriving this evening from Connecticut and will stay for the following week. All of us are looking forward to the visit.

I know you already got a birthday cake from me on Letty's thread--hope you didn't notice the groove along one side where I "tested" the frosting...

Your description of the way you work is also descriptive of what makes a good friend. Focus and the ability to ignore when necessary. That's pretty much what friendships and marriages need in order for both parties to maintain their independence along with the unending love.

Happy birthday again to a fine man and one of the all time greatest a2kers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 12:07 pm
Pshaw, Diane. Embarrassed
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:44 am
Edgar
Edgar, is Diane sucking up to you again?

(I agree with her, though.)

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:13 am
It's a beautiful Autumn beginning here in southeast Texas. A good September and no threat from a single storm, thus far. Life is good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 08:11 pm
Well, a while back, the apartment business wasn't so good. For whatever reasons, people just weren't renting. It was a dip that covered a number of states. Our occupancy dropped from about 98% to in the 70s.

Concurrently, my make ready guy, the assistant manager and the manager decided work should be a friendly gab fest every day. As the vacancies mounted, the number of dirty, unready to rent ones slowly became thirty, because it was more fun to bullshit and flirt. The manager wanted the make ready guy badly, even though she had a husband at home. Other complexes began to fill up somewhat. Not here. Potential renters had stopped coming through the door altogether.

Finally, the owners saw the light and fired the manager. They violated their own better judgement and allowed her to live on in her apartment for several months. Fired personell are generally given a three day move out notice. She took a virulent dislike to her replacement and worked on the assistant mgr and the make ready guy in efforts to undermine her and perhaps get her run off. None of it worked. She kept seeing a manager friend (?) who worked our other property. That person reported the scheming and got management to evict the ex manager at last.

The make ready guy, to his credit, clung to his job a while longer, despite the fact he resented the new manager for making him get off his lazy ass and paint the empty apartments. He eventually quit.

The assistant was so unreliable that she had to be fired.

Our ex manager continued to seek ways to undermine our office, even at a distance.

I cut all ties with her, reasoning that these insane attacks were aimed indirectly at me, since I work here too. She tried for several months to contact me and re-establish our former relationship. She sent me all kinds of emails on my birthday over a year ago. I deleted them, unviewed. Then, a mutual friend died.

I spoke with her at the funeral, and grudgingly restored contact with her. We exchanged occasional brief emails for a year.

The make ready guy rented a place in the same complex she moved to. He and I kept up a friendly relationship.

On June 19th, I sent her birthday greetings. She emailed back, "Thanks. It was important to me that you remembered my birthday this year." Last month, on my birthday, I went through the entire day without noticing that this woman who never overlooks a holiday or birthday did not send me a greeting. I knew right away that she had planned this for an entire year. I felt relieved and smiled, broadly. At last, I'm free from the burden of this relationship.

I noticed that the make ready guy stopped sending his daily friendly bantering mails that same week end. No biggie. I put a block sender on both of their emails.

Sometimes, one is better off with fewer than more friends in this life.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:42 pm
Well, "friends" like that......YES!

They were dead weight, edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:44 pm
You are right, Eva. I even left out many of the worst things that happened.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:07 pm
Thank you for that!

(I believe you. I've had so-called "friends" like that myself. Potholes on the road of life, I call 'em.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:58 am
For such friends I dedicate this Bob Dylan tune:

You got a lotta nerve
To say you are my friend
When I was down
You just stood there grinning

You got a lotta nerve
To say you got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on
The side that's winning

You say I let you down
You know it's not like that
If you're so hurt
Why then don't you show it

You say you lost your faith
But that's not where it's at
You had no faith to lose
And you know it

I know the reason
That you talk behind my back
I used to be among the crowd
You're in with

Do you take me for such a fool
To think I'd make contact
With the one who tries to hide
What he don't know to begin with

You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, "How are you?" "Good luck"
But you don't mean it

When you know as well as me
You'd rather see me paralyzed
Why don't you just come out once
And scream it

No, I do not feel that good
When I see the heartbreaks you embrace
If I was a master thief
Perhaps I'd rob them

And now I know you're dissatisfied
With your position and your place
Don't you understand
It's not my problem

I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is
To see you
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:23 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Well, a while back, the apartment business wasn't so good. ........

Edgar, you're too nice of a guy. You should have booted those so-called friends eons back. You don't need crap like that in your life.

There's a saying in there somewhere, but it escapes me for the moment.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:26 pm
Well, reyn, I just want to go to work and come home, controversy free. Seems folks won't let me. Too many agendas, not enough understanding.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:45 pm
this one's for you , edgar :wink:

You've Gotta Have Friends Lyrics

All:
You know you've gotta have friends
The feeling's oh so strong
You've gotta have friends
To make that day last long

I had some friends but they're gone
Something cam and took them away
And from the dusk til the dawn,
Here is where I'll saty

Taylor:
Standing at the end of the road boy,
Wait'n for my new friends to come

Chauncey:
I don't care if I'm hungry or cold

Lucy:
I better get me some of them

All:
Cause you've got to have friends,
La la la la la la la la la
Friends (just like you)
Oh yes, Yeah Yeah I say

Lucy:
You've got to have friends (I'm talkin about)

All:
friends (that's right)
friends
friendsa friendsa friendsa
I have some friends but they're gone, something cam and took them away,
and form the dusk til the dawn,
here is where I'll stay

You know you'vegot to have friends (Taylor:Oh, Oh, Oh yeah)
Friends (Tori:I've got good friends)
Friends(Chauncey:You've gotta have them)
I'm glad I have friends
I'VE GOT FRIENDS!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:20 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Well, reyn, I just want to go to work and come home, controversy free. Seems folks won't let me. Too many agendas, not enough understanding.

Well, I can understand the controversy free bit, but when these duds weren't at work anymore, I would have ended it right there.

Hindsight is always wonderful though, hey?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:42 pm
Funny thing, I really didn't want such friends, but hadn't the gumption to sever the ties.
0 Replies