Working Stiff - Countdown to Retirement

Reyn

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 01:00 pm
Your post, 2 up, sounds like a fun day.

We'll be counting down the days for ya....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 05:07 pm
How many months, day, minutes & seconds to go now, edgar? :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 05:10 pm
Have to be 65 and ten mos. Will be 64 next mo.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 05:13 pm
You're on the home run! Very Happy
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 08:51 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Friday, July 11th.

3:45
Incoming appliances. Argue with the truck driver. "I ordered a left swing refrigerator." "You can change the hinges." "The salesman promised me a left swing." Same argument, every time. Finally, he changes the door swing. No way these things are getting installed today, even though the folks in 1010 need their new refrigerator now. Theirs is a 1983 model, is leaking oil at bottom, gaskets are poor and the evap coils are warm on one end, iced on the other. Just too much to expect me to carry new up stairs alone and bring old down, not with temp 98 dgrees after so much time spent already in the sun. They have no food in there anyway, because they have been putting up with the problem for weeks before informing me. Naturally, the resident has seen the truck and comes running. "Did my refrigerator arrive?" "No," I lie. "I called them and they said you would have it Monday."

The delivery guys don't bring it upstairs for you or take the old away? Hell I change the door swing before they ask if I think it is needed.

Hang in there Edgar.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 09:13 pm
If it makes you feel any better today I was cutting a hole in the floor to run new vent for a downdraft and went right through a piece of conduit. Some brainiac ran conduit between the sub floor and the hardwood. Well after cutting out the bad pice of conduit, putting in a junction box, pulling new wires, replacing the breaker, and tying everything back in we still had the vent to run and two stops to go. I punched out at about 7:15 today.

Only 34 more years to retirement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 09:16 pm
Funny thing about those delivery guys from Sears. The salesman chews them out and they are real good for a week or two, then they revert to the old ways. My final tactic when they get too stubborn is to say, "Put it back on the truck." They quit arguing right away.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 09:18 pm
I do exactly the same thing to customers that become belligerent. I tell my partner to put the stuff back on the truck and customer usually changes his tune.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 09:27 pm
Sounds like quality construction, all right.

One time I was building portable buildings for a guy that sold tires and wheels. A customer argued for lower prices. The guy held firm and told him no. The customer said, "Okay, put them on." After the tires and wheels were installed, he started to haggle again. Guy orders the merchandis off of the car. "Okay, I'll pay," the customer says. But the guy tells him, "I'm not selling to you. Go someplace else." That's the sort of thing you hate to do, but it's necessary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:14 pm
We decided the heat was just too brutal today. I clocked out at 3PM. Cool
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:59 pm
I figure I got 3 years, 9 months and some days.....

But I'll still have to work somewhere when I "retire" from service.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:03 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
We decided the heat was just too brutal today. I clocked out at 3PM. Cool

You need one of those air-conditioned suits like the astronauts wear.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:18 pm
Went to Six Flags the other day. While taking pictures with Daffy and Sylvester, I asked them how the hell they could stand it inside those furry suits in the 95+ heat.

Since they had to stay "in character", neither could answer...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:49 pm
They shut down Houston's theme park.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:00 pm
I hope I'm not interrupting the flow of this thread, and i certainly don't wish to bring any 'good tidings' that lie within it down..but..

[note: i'm GREATLY ENJOYING the tales Edgar], I had to stop myself from reading straight through...

I always get really sad when I see post retirement men and women working at little side jobs, and greeting people at the doors of Wally World and worst of all - cooking and working at fast food places.

I know that some retired persons find jobs because they just need to keep on doing something (though why they don't just join clubs, I'll never understand), but the fact that I know there are many that just can't afford to relax during their retirement makes me sad.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:03 pm
I'm one of those who needs the dough and so will keep on working. Only thing, I will work less hard next job.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:10 pm
Oh, me. 14 years on the job, less than two til retirement, now they want me to take 3 hour courses online, on the topics of Fair Housing, Harrassment, and more down the line. I'd like to know where they think I got the time. Thinking about skipping the lessons and going for the final quiz. How badly could I do? I have always bent over backward to avoid even an appearance of discrimination, predjudice, sexual or religious harrassment. Why shouldn't I ace it?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:28 pm
I say go for it. :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:43 am
Yeah, edgar, go for it!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:39 pm
The initial test, to determine the scope of my pre-course knowledge, demonstrated my need to study all of the material. It took three hours, but I did bag a 90%, 70% being a passing score.
0 Replies