Working Stiff - Countdown to Retirement

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:15 pm
I have a phobia about other people's spit. Don't even drink after mrs edgarblythe. The quickest way I can imagine to get me fighting mad is to spit on me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:23 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I have a phobia about other people's spit. Don't even drink after mrs edgarblythe. The quickest way I can imagine to get me fighting mad is to spit on me.

Laughing

Come to think of it, edgar, I'm not exactly keen to share other folks' (especially strangers') spit either!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:24 pm
"saliva" - does it sound better than "spit" ? - is very important to human health .
there is now medical research being done on the value of ...
"...SALIVA IS ONE OF NATURE'S LITTLE POWER-HOUSES. GLANDS IN THE MOUTH AND THE THROAT PUMP IT OUT AROUND THE CLOCK, WHETHER WE'RE AWAKE OR ASLEEP. SALIVA IS REALLY NOTHING MORE THAN A THIN, WATERY SUBSTANCE, WHICH IS NEITHER AN ACID NOR A BASE. MEANING IT'S NEUTRAL LIKE WATER. CREDIT SALIVA FOR THE HEALTHY MAINTENANCE OF YOUR MOUTH. IT HELPS TO PROTECT AGAINST GUM DISEASE AND TOOTH DECAY BY WASHING AWAY BITS OF FOOD. SALIVA ALSO HAS TRACE AMOUNTS OF CALCIUM IN IT. SO IT CAN ACTUALLY REPAIR MINUTE CAVITIES. SO BE THANKFUL FOR YOUR MOUTH FULL OF SPIT. "

...SPIT AND MEDICAL RESEARCH...

(note : i don't like being spit at/on either - yuck)
hbg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 06:44 pm
hamburger wrote:
... SO BE THANKFUL FOR YOUR MOUTH FULL OF SPIT.

I will, hamburger.
But I still prefer my own to that of most other folks. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:06 pm
Excitement on the job today. Texas Rangers, a state trooper and other forms of police were at the apartments. One had a very big rifle at the ready. They finally brought a man out of his home in handcuffs. My guess is, that will be a new vacancy very soon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:14 pm
Gosh, edgar. Shocked

Must have been a major, major criminal!
Osama B L, maybe?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:15 pm
He looked suspiciously like a mid westerner to me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:21 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
He looked suspiciously like a mid westerner to me.

Was it the rust around the collar that tipped you off?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:21 pm
Well they can be pretty dangerous, too, edgar! :wink:

Gosh, that was a lot of police for one man's arrest!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:27 pm
I lived in Kansas City, Mo. I know midwesterners at a glance. Legs, ears, nostrils, feet. There's no mistaking it when all these things are present.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:29 pm
edgar, I was surprised to learn you were afraid to drink from the same cup used by another person.

When we were young, all my brothers and I worked out on farms during the summer months to make money, and we always drank from the same cup as all the other workers. In those days, I guess, we didn't worry too much about germs.

Speed forward to now: I'm still not "afraid" to share the same cup or bottle, but it's not something I do that often.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:29 pm
Midwesterners are well-behaved and greatly admired. Must have been one of them Southeners.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:36 pm
CI
When I was very young, we drank from a common dipper. Never a thought about germs. I've seen a lot since then.

Gus
I was trying not to get into the man's personal statistics. Not right now. The management would frown to know I've posted this much. Factually, the man is from Ohio.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:38 pm
Ohio doesn't count as Midwest. They are their own separate beast. I think they call themselves Mideastnortherns.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:41 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Ohio doesn't count as Midwest. They are their own separate beast. I think they call themselves Mideastnortherns.

No they don't.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:49 pm
dyslexia wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

No they don't.

They should.

http://nrc.uchsc.edu/STATES/united-states-map.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:50 pm
I ain't never been there afore, but I bet they are mostly like you n me. Poor souls.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:50 pm
Indeed
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 09:24 am
Friday, July 11th.
8AM
no help today. The temp, as well as part time worker, didn't make it. Already had apt 111 set up for first thing shampoo. The make ready and cleaning missed several small jobs. Thirty minutes lost fixing them. Shampooed carpet. Left equipment outside door to service swimming pool.

9:15AM
Took trash cart around property for valet pick up service. Involves climbing numerous sets of stairs.

10AM
Sat in office to drink and cool down.

10:15AM
Put away shampooer, did small work orders.

11AM
Let Freddy in to take away defunct appliances. He made a haul today. Reason I give the stuff to him is that if I got a trailor and began haulig it for scrap metal, the company would eventuall learn about it and want the money. Hauling the stuff would then be part of my regular job. Not worth trying.

11:10
Watered parts of the grounds not adequately reached by sprinklers.

12N
Lunch, interrupted by vendors and contract workers.

1:30
Order supplies.

1:45
Inform assistant mgr, I am going to work slowly rest of day, heat too intense.

1:50
Dig up bad sprinkler heads, replace. One buried deep in tree roots, needs line dug up and new tee put in. Inteerupted by call to check air conditioner.

2:30
Air conditioner has too much freon. Get recovery equipment and withdraw two punds. Clean coils. Go upstairs. Clean evaporator coils. Thermostat not in synch with cut off temperature. Replace thermostat. A/C working great now.

3:30
Go to model for restroom break. Get stopped by residents who are always watching for me to pass their door.

3:45
Incoming appliances. Argue with the truck driver. "I ordered a left swing refrigerator." "You can change the hinges." "The salesman promised me a left swing." Same argument, every time. Finally, he changes the door swing. No way these things are getting installed today, even though the folks in 1010 need their new refrigerator now. Theirs is a 1983 model, is leaking oil at bottom, gaskets are poor and the evap coils are warm on one end, iced on the other. Just too much to expect me to carry new up stairs alone and bring old down, not with temp 98 dgrees after so much time spent already in the sun. They have no food in there anyway, because they have been putting up with the problem for weeks before informing me. Naturally, the resident has seen the truck and comes running. "Did my refrigerator arrive?" "No," I lie. "I called them and they said you would have it Monday."

4:30
I tell the assistant manager I am leaving 30 minutes early. She understands and sympathises. At that very moment a man rushes in to tell me his apartment is getting wet from the air conditioner. Simultaneously, the assistant manager discovers that the carpet layer has left without returning a set of keys. I get the equipment to the wet apartment, then rush up to the other door and drill the lock until it opens, replace the lock and hand the brand new resident a key. As I start work on the leaking air conditioner I discover the leak is from the upstairs apartment. I stand in the direct sun in the little cubbyhole of a landing, beating on the door. The resident is home, but doesn't respond. It has to be a hundred and ten in that location. Finally I get in and do the job. After promising the folks downstairs I will come back and take the pad out of the carpet, etc., I knock off for the day.

6:20
About five minutes down the road, the chills begin. It's too hot to drive with no air conditioning, the chills are too much with it going. Get home and fall into a chair for an hour. After a few hours, the chills and exhaustion subside.

Next morning
Only two years to go before retirement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 12:04 pm
I didn't realize at the time of the last posting that the official Tomball temp yesterday was 100 degrees.
0 Replies