Working Stiff - Countdown to Retirement

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 02:57 pm
A feather in your cap, Edgar!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 03:09 pm
I had intended to work for anohter few years when I had a stroke. When I realized i couldn't stay up long enough to make a pot of coffee witout taking a nap i was pretty much devistated by my incapacity, I'm not over that yet.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 03:58 pm
Dys
dyslexia wrote:
I had intended to work for anohter few years when I had a stroke. When I realized i couldn't stay up long enough to make a pot of coffee witout taking a nap i was pretty much devistated by my incapacity, I'm not over that yet.

Now you know how much mischief Diane, Osso Bucco and I get into while Dys is napping.

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 04:31 pm
I told them at that age, anything can happen. Too soon to make a plan. I must say, I was in good form today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 06:45 am
another day, another receding dollar
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:57 pm
Wot a time I had this week end and today. Beginning last week, an air conditioner was not working right. Being it was twenty three years old and iced over, I took advantage of the situation to replace the condensor and evaporator coil. At first, it worked perfectly. Later on, I saw the lines iced over. There were no leaks in the system, of that I was sure. The resident said that it ran all day long. After a few other tests, I determined that there was trash in the lines and proceeded to take out the freon. After blowing out the lines with nitrogen and closing it up, I left the unit running perfectly. Next morning, iced over again. In all of this, I made a crucial mistake. I reasoned that, since the thermostat had not been replaced, and appeared to be working normally, it had to be all right. So, what was wrong? Much later, my helper asked, "What would happen if the thermostat happened to be wired wrong?" "That could give us the solution to our problem, but there's no way that would have happened." Then, he hits me with the news: "I replaced that thermostat just before the trouble started." After all that and a weekend of trouble, work and worry, the problem was solved by ten minutes of work on the thermostst. I was so relieved, I could have kissed him, despite the fact that his wiring job caused it all to begin with. If I worked with air conditioning all the time, this would not have been allowed to happen, but, it's easy to go wrong for a maintenance man.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:28 pm
Edgar, you are indeed a handy man! :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 06:42 pm
We haven't yet found a replacement for the fired worker. Makes it hard, dude.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:13 am
Reyn wrote:
Edgar, you are indeed a handy man! :wink:

I have a few jobs here for you, edgar!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 05:39 am
Came home to an A/c not working. Replaced the thermostst. Speak of coincidences. With that new one on, the system refused to cycle down. After rigorous tests, I determined the new stat was faulty. Have to get a new one today.

Msolga
The neighbors used to pester me almost daily to work on their homes. I finally told them, "I don't want to work for the neighbors." Not being rude, but I am too old to do that, plus take care of my own place, and do my regular job.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 05:57 am
Very sensible, edgar. You'd never have a moment's peace, either!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 07:00 am
I have always kept coffee cups for my personal use in the office. Always put them in the same place, make sure they are distinctive enough nobody mistakes them. Occasionally, others grab one, mainly if there are none others readily available. Not my problem they don't have foresight. It makes me angry. I have to do without until I can get them home and sterilize them. No way I'm drinking after anybody else, even friends. The temps we get in here are the neediest individuals you can meet. Never enough lunch, no personal cups. Monday, one worked the office. It did not take long to recognize she drank from my cup [which I had only hours before taped a label with my name]. I don't mind that they use my tea, or even eat my fruit. I just wish my cups were recognized off limits.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:07 am
Give 'em hell, Edgar!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 09:38 am
Edgar
Edgar, if they don't leave your cups along, tell them they will be deported to Lebanon.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 10:52 am
edgar needs an army canteen with attached cup Smile !
it's called 'feldflasche' in german - it would also be good for storing other life-susstaining liquids Shocked
hbg

http://www.army-world.de/shop/images/33015.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:04 pm
Re: Edgar
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Edgar, if they don't leave your cups along, tell them they will be deported to Lebanon.

Better yet, tell that you have "something catching".
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 01:37 pm
perhaps you already know the story .
someone ordered a beer and before leaving for a few minutes left a note with his mug : "i spit in my beer !!!".
when he returned someone had added : "and so did i !!!". Mad
hbg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:14 pm
After fourteen years on a job, one gets territorial about these little things.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:30 pm
Just leave a little spit in each one. They'll learn.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 05:56 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
After fourteen years on a job, one gets territorial about these little things.

Not at all, edgar.
One's own personal cup is sacred!
0 Replies