'Israel should dismantle nuclear weapons' US Army War Colleg

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:40 pm
Galilite wrote:
And how would a compassionate person assess their chances?

A compassionate person would asses their chances as close to one hundred percent as possible, as Gandhi did.

Quote:
InfraBlue, I was born in USSR and lived there for the first 15 years of my life. I never heard of Americans there, surely it'ld make a lot of noise and a great showcase for Soviet propaganda! Russian Ashkenazi nationalism in Stalin's epoch. People were afraid to emit a sound, let alone - come up with an idea not approved by the Commies.

Your experiences in the USSR noted, according to the Jewish Autonomous Oblast's website it was through Soviet propaganda that American Jews and Zionists in Palestine migrated there. The Wikipedia page also states that the idea was brought up by Ashkenazi "Commies." I doubt either site is joking.

Quote:
And how did the Ashkenazi nationalism look like? I'm trying to imagine but can't come up with ideas.

The Ashkenazi nationalism, Zionism, looked a lot like the other European Nationalisms of the times.

Quote:
They probably preached those racist Hungarian ideas.

They were inspired by the selfsame ideas that inspired those Hungarian nationalists which tended to view ethnicity in racial terms.

Quote:
Actually, I assumed you know all this stuff since you have such strong opinions about the subject - and you didn't even hear about Uganda then?

I did know about "Uganda" and Argentina, for that matter, as alternative lands for a Zionist state as proposed by a few Zionists prior to your reference, thank you very much.

Quote:
Borrowing your favourite expression, you have created a straw-man argument. But thank you for showing that I am consistent in what I state.

If you wouldn't commit so many straw-man fallacies, I wouldn't have to point it out so much.

Quote:
And..?

If they "weren't looking for any spot", were they able to "take proposals seriously"? Did I say "all Zionists"?

And you misrepresent the aim of Zionism--the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine. A minority of Zionists took seriously the proposal fro a Jewish homeland anywhere else. You said "the Zionists," not "some Zionists." You misrepresent what your source states, as well as the facts.

Quote:
A strange interpretation. Like you caught me on something. The Jewish Territorialist Organization at the time of the proposal were Zionists as well, weren't they?

The Jewish Territorialist Organization was a small minority of Zionists. They weren't "the Zionists," they were "some" Zionists. They were a minority of Zionists.

Quote:
And - if these proposals were investigated on the Zionist congresses, there weren't so insignificant, right?

The proposals--only proposed to the sixth Zionist Congress by Herzl as
Quote:
temporary, emergency measures
--were significant and controversial enough to prove "very divisive, and widespread opposition to the plan was fueled by a walkout led by the Russian Jewish delegation to the Congress," as the Wikipedia page states.

Quote:
Hey, I didn't mean Earth.

I've been caught using superlatives by some of the sharp posters here on A2K, and since have tried to avoid their use. Having said that, I continue to hold to the belief that the Israel/Palestine Conflict is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West.

Quote:
Even in the Middle East it is nothing special.

"It is a crux because it is a crux". Sounds like you have no idea how to prove it.

Moishe wrote:
Could you expand on that statement - "it is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West."
This seems to be the crux of your beliefs and I do not understand why.

The Israel/Palestine Conflict is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West because, as I have already said, it imposed a bigoted, ethnocetric state in the Middle East. This state was imposed externally by Westerners. As such it is a colony of the West in the Middle East. As Alan Dershowitz alluded to in a talk he gave at UCLA on his book, The Case for Israel, "By the way, I meet a lot of Europeans who are more critical of Israel in public than they are in private. There are Europeans, center left and center right, who privately are glad that Israel is there keeping democracy alive and radical Islam in check. But they are not ready to say that in public."

http://www.international.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=5071

Now, I take issue with the idea of Israel being "democratic" per se. Israel itself doesn't say it is "democratic." Israel says it is a "Jewish Democracy." That is tantamount to the US declaring itself a "Protestant/Anglo Democracy." The idea of an ethnocentic designation along with the word "democracy" in a country that is multi-ethnic is an oxymoron and absurd. And I also take issue with the idea that Israel is there keeping radical Islam in check. I think what is closer to the truth is that the presence of Israel, a Western bigoted, ethnocentric state, in the Middle East is an inciter of Islamic radicalism against the West.

The point to referring to what Dershowitz says is that the West sees Israel as a front against the Middle East.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:48 pm
au wrote:
Based on that learned statement I guess the installation of the Shah in Iran by the US and his subsequent removal and the embassy hostages was the result of the Jewish State. Or the marines being killed in Beirut was or Saddam coming to power was or Saddam"s killing and torture was or The Russians invading Afghanistan was or the Iraq/Iran war or the civil war in Lebanon was or, or or. Iam sure you get the picture and I am just as sure you will not see it thru the fog of your bias.

The instalation of the Shah in Iran by the US and his subsequent removal and the embassy hostages was the result of direct US meddling in Middle Eastern affairs. The Marines being killed in Beirut was an attempt to get the US out of Lebanon. Saddam coming to power and his killing and torture was a pretext for the US invasion and occupation of Iraq. The US invasion has been very successful in radicalizing Iraqis and other Middle Easterners. In that it is close to the Israel/Palestine Conflict as a major cause of Middle Eastern radicalization. The Russians invaded Afghanistan which is not in the Middle East; it is in Central Asia. The Iraq/Iran war was instigated by Saddam over a territorial dispute with Iran. The West, the US in particular, meddled in the war. The Lebanon Civil War had its origins in its colonial, that is Western colonial, period.

Quote:
The conflict stems from a clash of cultures and religion.

The conflict stems from a clash of cultures whereby one culture is imposed upon another. In the cases involving the Middle East that you mentioned, the conflicts stemmed and stem around Western meddling and outright occupation. In the case of Israel/Palestine the conflict stems from the imposition of a bigoted Western state in the Middle East.

Quote:
JIHADI TERRORISM: RIDICULOUS EXPLANATIONS, COMPLEX SOLUTIONS

http://www.middleeastinfo.org/commentary.php?id=2133

Dr. Babu Suseelan wrote:
Communists, Nazis, and Fascists resorted to terrorism. They differed from Islamic terrorism in that they were motivated by political agenda.

In your website, Dr. Babu Suseelan leaves out the fact that Zionists also resorted to terrorism.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 10:45 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
I've been caught using superlatives by some of the sharp posters here on A2K, and since have tried to avoid their use. Having said that, I continue to hold to the belief that the Israel/Palestine Conflict is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West.

Quote:
Even in the Middle East it is nothing special.

"It is a crux because it is a crux". Sounds like you have no idea how to prove it.

Moishe wrote:
Could you expand on that statement - "it is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West."
This seems to be the crux of your beliefs and I do not understand why.

The Israel/Palestine Conflict is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West because, as I have already said, it imposed a bigoted, ethnocetric state in the Middle East.

Accepting that Israel is a "bigoted, ethnocentric state," how is it different from the rest of the "bigoted, ethnocentric states" in the Middle East and beyond. The Arab / racial mix is the same - either Sephardi Jew or Muslims. However, in the event that you are targeting those that are of European dissent as the "crux," do you have the same problem with other large immigrant populations in other countries in the Middle East? Do you have the same problem with other large scale immigrant populations to any other country in the world? Is is a "crux" of conflicts in Greece or Turkey; in France; England; Pakistan; India; the United States? The European Jewish immigration to Israel is far smaller both proportionally and in fact than the Twentieth Century immigrant population to all of those countries. And, although I do not know this, I suspect it is smaller than almost any immigration to almost any country.
But perhaps your "crux" is one of religion.
The same would apply. Even more so, as the majority of the Jews in the State of Israel are not religious.
What would be helpful is to somehow quantify this "bigoted, ethocentricity" in a way that could be understood as a causitive effect.
Comparisons would do this.
Comparative incidents of "bigoted, ethnocentricity" with the surrounding countries, including the Arabs called Palestinians would be useful.
Otherwise, you are simply stating your opinion that you don't like Israel by tacking a couple of prejorative adjectives in front of it. Big whoop. We already know that you don't like Israel.

This state was imposed externally by Westerners. As such it is a colony of the West in the Middle East.

I wish you would inform Europe of this belief. They don't seem to hold it with the same fervor as you do.
Again. Comparisons. What other states in the region were "imposed externally by Westerners?"
And are they too colonies of the West?
If not, why not?

As Alan Dershowitz alluded to in a talk he gave at UCLA on his book, The Case for Israel, "By the way, I meet a lot of Europeans who are more critical of Israel in public than they are in private. There are Europeans, center left and center right, who privately are glad that Israel is there keeping democracy alive and radical Islam in check. But they are not ready to say that in public."

http://www.international.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=5071

Now, I take issue with the idea of Israel being "democratic" per se. Israel itself doesn't say it is "democratic." Israel says it is a "Jewish Democracy." That is tantamount to the US declaring itself a "Protestant/Anglo Democracy." The idea of an ethnocentic designation along with the word "democracy" in a country that is multi-ethnic is an oxymoron and absurd. And I also take issue with the idea that Israel is there keeping radical Islam in check.

I have no real disagreement with what you or Mr. Dershowitz have written above. I would say both points of view are valid.

I think what is closer to the truth is that the presence of Israel, a Western bigoted, ethnocentric state, in the Middle East is an inciter of Islamic radicalism against the West.

Yes. We know that's what you think. I still do not understand why you think this. Again, the adjectives do not make a case. They simply say that you hate Israel.
Nonetheless, "incitement" is a rather loaded term. And it is quite different than "crux." OBL the Putrefying was "incited" by the US being on Saudi Arabian soil - which, according to both Sharia and Hadith, is totally innocuous and without cause for hatred. But, he was "incited." Or do you believe that incitement and crux and synonomous?

The point to referring to what Dershowitz says is that the West sees Israel as a front against the Middle East.

Yes, I suspect that those in the West who see a problem with radical Islamist fascist Jihad do see Israel as a front against this sort of thing.

But, as hard as I try, I cannot read anything into the above that demonstrates in any way whatsoever that the "Israel/Palestine Conflict is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West."
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 12:20 am
InfraBlue wrote:
Galilite wrote:
And how would a compassionate person assess their chances?
A compassionate person would asses their chances as close to one hundred percent as possible, as Gandhi did.
I rest my case. Maybe you should tell this to Chechens and all the other small peoples - just another 1000-2000 years, and they have an independent state.
InfraBlue wrote:
Your experiences in the USSR noted, according to the Jewish Autonomous Oblast's website it was through Soviet propaganda that American Jews and Zionists in Palestine migrated there.
I didn't find it in Wikipedia, but after a thorough search in Google I found some text mentioning some Americans that settled there and were repressed later during the 1930s. I suppose that was the reason they didn't want to spread this information.
InfraBlue wrote:
The Wikipedia page also states that the idea was brought up by Ashkenazi "Commies." I doubt either site is joking.
Not according to Wikipedia unless you believe Stalin was Jewish:
Wikipedia wrote:
It was the result of Stalin's nationality policy... it was also a response to two supposed threats to the Soviet state: Judaism, which ran counter to official state policy of atheism; and Zionism, which countered Soviet views of nationalism... Another important goal of the Birobidzhan project was to increase settlement in the remote Soviet Far East, especially along the vulnerable border with China.

InfraBlue wrote:
The Ashkenazi nationalism, Zionism, looked a lot like the other European Nationalisms of the times.
And we're talking about 1920-1930s here. Look, I understand that you are very far from this stuff. But then, why insist on something you don't really know?
InfraBlue wrote:
Quote:
And..?

If they "weren't looking for any spot", were they able to "take proposals seriously"? Did I say "all Zionists"?
And you misrepresent the aim of Zionism--the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine. A minority of Zionists took seriously the proposal fro a Jewish homeland anywhere else.
Again, I never said they were majority either.
InfraBlue wrote:
The proposals--only proposed to the sixth Zionist Congress by Herzl as
Quote:
temporary, emergency measures
--were significant and controversial enough to prove "very divisive, and widespread opposition to the plan was fueled by a walkout led by the Russian Jewish delegation to the Congress," as the Wikipedia page states.
Exactly, "very divisive". And, well, if Herzl himself backed these proposals, you can't say the affair was negligible.
InfraBlue wrote:
Having said that, I continue to hold to the belief that the Israel/Palestine Conflict is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West.
Thank you for at last answering my question. But we (I at least) are talking about the Middle Eastern point of view, not the Western one.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:42 am
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The trait of the Nazis which most stands out is genocide. So long as Israel isn't trying to commit genocide, they can't be anything like the Nazis.

That Israel isn't trying to commit genocide doesn't negate the fact that both Nazism and Zionism are both informed by 19th century European nationalism. In that they are something like the Nazis.

The Nazis breathed oxygen. So do you and I.

I don't think it is fair to say that someone is "something like the Nazis" unless they are committing genocide or are trying to commit genocide.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
That is incorrect. Barak offered them 95% of the West Bank, in one contiguous block, a capital in Jerusalem, and a limited Right of Return.

Here is a map of what Barak offered in the West Bank (the Palestinians would have got everything that is grey; the Israelis would have kept what is in Blue):

http://www.fmep.org/maps/map_data/redeployment/final_status_map_taba.gif

High resolution: http://www.fmep.org/maps/map_data/redeployment/final_status_map_taba.pdf

As the map illustrates, the territory offered wasn't exactly contiguous, it was broken into a patchwork of areas specifically designated "Palestinian Autonomous Areas" within the area described as "Palestinian Sovereignty." The reason for that distinction is that Israel planned to effectively control those areas designated "Palestinian Sovereignty" because of the Zionist settlements in those areas that Israel never intended to dismantle.

That is incorrect. The Palestinian Autonomous Areas are the places the Palestinians already control.

"Palestinian Sovereignty" is the area that would have been turned over to them had they accepted the offer. All the settlements in a gray area would have been dismantled.

That would have given them 95% of the West Bank, in one contiguous block.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 06:49 pm
"The crux"
Just one more about "the crux". Let's take a look at the following:

Iraq - is even one of the fighting factions somehow connected to Israel / Palestinians?
Syria - what bothers them more, problems in Lebanon or Israel?
Lebanon - what bothers them more, Syrian presence or Israel?
Egypt - are they more bothered by Muslim Brothers and economical problems or Israel, who, by the way, is their major trade partner?
Sudan - what is their first immediate problem, the slaughter in the south or Israel?
Were the Gulf states and Saudi Arabia threatened more by Israel or Iraq?
Algeria - are they more bothered by territorial disputes with Morocco, extremists or Israel?
Morocco - are they more bother by territorial disputes or Israel?

Where is the crux? Is there a crux at all? It is a bit like "center of the universe". Of course, if the Middle East is perceived as one fat dot on the map, then it makes sense. From CNN coverages, indeed, Middle East and Israel may seem nearly synonymous.
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:50 pm
Hello and sorry for the delay in replying --- has the question been answered, if not I'll come back with links next week. Meanwhile I wish a very happy 2006 to everyone here.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:52 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:
Hello and sorry for the delay in replying --- has the question been answered, if not I'll come back with links next week. Meanwhile I wish a very happy 2006 to everyone here.
Yep, all fine with me, thanks Louise.

Happy 2006 to you, too!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:32 am
Moishe wrote:
Accepting that Israel is a "bigoted, ethnocentric state," how is it different from the rest of the "bigoted, ethnocentric states" in the Middle East and beyond.

It was imposed by the West for Westerners.

Quote:
Do you have the same problem with other large scale immigrant populations to any other country in the world? Is is a "crux" of conflicts in Greece or Turkey; in France; England; Pakistan; India; the United States? The European Jewish immigration to Israel is far smaller both proportionally and in fact than the Twentieth Century immigrant population to all of those countries. And, although I do not know this, I suspect it is smaller than almost any immigration to almost any country.

The issue isn't immigration, the issue is the creation of a Western ethnocentically bigoted state in the Middle East.

Quote:
What would be helpful is to somehow quantify this "bigoted, ethocentricity" in a way that could be understood as a causitive effect.

Maybe you can run a poll as to how many Israelis would support the granting the Right of Return to the Palestinians, or, run a poll as to how many Israelis would support abandoning Israel's directive to maintain a "Jewish character." You can further quantify the responses along ethnic lines.

Quote:
Comparative incidents of "bigoted, ethnocentricity" with the surrounding countries, including the Arabs called Palestinians would be useful.

A comparison would be an argumentum ad populum fallacy as well as a red-herring, because while the surrounding countries may be as, or more, bigoted and, or ethnocentric does not negate the fact that Israel is bigoted and ethnocentric, and that its bigotry and ethnocentrism are a European construct, and that it was imposed by Westerners, and that this is the reason that it is the crux of the conflict between the West and the Middle East.

Quote:
I wish you would inform Europe of this belief. They don't seem to hold it with the same fervor as you do.
Again. Comparisons. What other states in the region were "imposed externally by Westerners?"
If not, why not?

The states in the region were created by Westerners to further Western interests. The other states are not colonies of the West because their populations were and are, by and large, made up of peoples from the area. Israel was created expressly for Westerners, Ashkenazi Westerners.

Quote:
Yes. We know that's what you think. I still do not understand why you think this. Again, the adjectives do not make a case. They simply say that you hate Israel.

Describing what Israel is is not a statement of hatred. It is a statement of fact. Israel is Western, bigoted and ethnocentric.

Quote:
Nonetheless, "incitement" is a rather loaded term. And it is quite different than "crux." OBL the Putrefying was "incited" by the US being on Saudi Arabian soil - which, according to both Sharia and Hadith, is totally innocuous and without cause for hatred. But, he was "incited." Or do you believe that incitement and crux and synonomous?

Peoples interpret their religions to suit their ends.

I do not believe that the words "incitement" and "crux" are synonomous.

Quote:
But, as hard as I try, I cannot read anything into the above that demonstrates in any way whatsoever that the "Israel/Palestine Conflict is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West."

I'm at a loss of trying to explain it to you.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 01:02 am
Galilite wrote:
Maybe you should tell this to Chechens and all the other small peoples - just another 1000-2000 years, and they have an independent state.

Yeah, they should follow Gandhi's example, as should the Palestinians.

Galilite wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Your experiences in the USSR noted, according to the Jewish Autonomous Oblast's website it was through Soviet propaganda that American Jews and Zionists in Palestine migrated there.
I didn't find it in Wikipedia, but after a thorough search in Google I found some text mentioning some Americans that settled there and were repressed later during the 1930s. I suppose that was the reason they didn't want to spread this information.

Pardon me, specifically, the information about Jewish American immigration to the Oblast was from the Jewish Autonomous Oblast webpage: http://www.able2know.com/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=1755834

The JAO in its webpage wrote:
The fact of revival of a sovereign Jewish territory, though far away from the actual ancestral Motherland and as an autonomy, actuated afflux of immigrants abroad. They sincerely believed that the Soviet Union was a democratic people's state. With such ideas almost 700 people from Argentina, Lithuania, France, Latvia, Germany, Belgium, the USA, Poland and even from Palestine arrived there.

Both that webpage and the Wikipedia webpage ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Autonomous_Oblast ) mention immigration by Zionist Palestinians.

Wikipedia wrote:
Thus Birobidzhan was important for propaganda purposes as an argument against Zionism which was a rival ideology to Marxism among left-wing Jews. The propaganda impact was so effective that several thousand Jews immigrated to Birobidzhan from outside of the Soviet Union, including several hundred from Palestine who had become disillusioned with the Zionist experience.

Galilite wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
The Wikipedia page also states that the idea was brought up by Ashkenazi "Commies." I doubt either site is joking.
Galilite wrote:
Not according to Wikipedia unless you believe Stalin was Jewish:

Wikipedia wrote:
It was the result of Stalin's nationality policy... it was also a response to two supposed threats to the Soviet state: Judaism, which ran counter to official state policy of atheism; and Zionism, which countered Soviet views of nationalism... Another important goal of the Birobidzhan project was to increase settlement in the remote Soviet Far East, especially along the vulnerable border with China.

Wikipedia wrote:
Stalin's theory on the National Question held that a group could only be a nation if they had a territory, and since there was no Jewish territory, per se, the Jews were not a nation and did not have national rights. Jewish Communists argued that the way to solve this ideological dilemma was by creating a Jewish territory, hence the ideological motivation for the Jewish Autonomous Oblast. Politically, it was also considered desirable to create a Soviet Jewish homeland as an ideological alternative to Zionism and the theory put forward by Socialist Zionists such as Ber Borochov that the Jewish Question could be resolved by creating a Jewish territory in Palestine.

Galilite wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
And we're talking about 1920-1930s here. Look, I understand that you are very far from this stuff. But then, why insist on something you don't really know?

What are you talking about? Zionism was very much a product of Nineteenth Century European nationalism as much as any other European nationalist group was, and they proceeded together accordingly.

Galilite wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Having said that, I continue to hold to the belief that the Israel/Palestine Conflict is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West.
Thank you for at last answering my question. But we (I at least) are talking about the Middle Eastern point of view, not the Western one.

The reason I quoted Dershowitz quoting Europeans was to confirm the Middle Eastern point of view that Israel is a Western colony because that is how Westerners see Israel.

Galilite wrote:
Just one more about "the crux". Let's take a look at the following:

Iraq - is even one of the fighting factions somehow connected to Israel / Palestinians?
Syria - what bothers them more, problems in Lebanon or Israel?
Lebanon - what bothers them more, Syrian presence or Israel?
Egypt - are they more bothered by Muslim Brothers and economical problems or Israel, who, by the way, is their major trade partner?
Sudan - what is their first immediate problem, the slaughter in the south or Israel?
Were the Gulf states and Saudi Arabia threatened more by Israel or Iraq?
Algeria - are they more bothered by territorial disputes with Morocco, extremists or Israel?
Morocco - are they more bother by territorial disputes or Israel?

Where is the crux? Is there a crux at all? It is a bit like "center of the universe". Of course, if the Middle East is perceived as one fat dot on the map, then it makes sense. From CNN coverages, indeed, Middle East and Israel may seem nearly synonymous.

Just for you, Galilite, I will repeat my statement. Be sure to read it all. Don't drop off after the word crux, otherwise, you'll miss the gist of the statement when you do that. I'll even write the pertinent words that you continually leave out in your question in bold, OK?

The imposition of the ethnocentric Zionist state in Palestine is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West.

It isn't the center of the universe; it is the center of the conflict between the Middle East and the West.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 01:23 am
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The trait of the Nazis which most stands out is genocide. So long as Israel isn't trying to commit genocide, they can't be anything like the Nazis.

That Israel isn't trying to commit genocide doesn't negate the fact that both Nazism and Zionism are both informed by 19th century European nationalism. In that they are something like the Nazis.

The Nazis breathed oxygen. So do you and I.

I don't think it is fair to say that someone is "something like the Nazis" unless they are committing genocide or are trying to commit genocide.

I don't think that it would be fair to say that someone is something like the Nazis if it was unqualified.

I clearly qualified my comparison.

The Nazis breathed oxygen, the Zionists breathe oxygen, I breathe oxygen, you breathe oxygen. In that we are alike.

The Nazis were informed by nineteenth century European nationalism, and so were the Zionists. In that they are alike. Your nationalism isn't informed by nineteenth century European nationalism. I am not a nationalist. In that neither you or I are like the Nazis and the Zionists.

The Nazis and the Zionists are alike in that they aimed to establish bigoted, ethnocentric states.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Here is a map of what Barak offered in the West Bank (the Palestinians would have got everything that is grey; the Israelis would have kept what is in Blue):

http://www.fmep.org/maps/map_data/redeployment/final_status_map_taba.gif

High resolution: http://www.fmep.org/maps/map_data/redeployment/final_status_map_taba.pdf

As the map illustrates, the territory offered wasn't exactly contiguous, it was broken into a patchwork of areas specifically designated "Palestinian Autonomous Areas" within the area described as "Palestinian Sovereignty." The reason for that distinction is that Israel planned to effectively control those areas designated "Palestinian Sovereignty" because of the Zionist settlements in those areas that Israel never intended to dismantle.

That is incorrect. The Palestinian Autonomous Areas are the places the Palestinians already control.

"Palestinian Sovereignty" is the area that would have been turned over to them had they accepted the offer. All the settlements in a gray area would have been dismantled.

That would have given them 95% of the West Bank, in one contiguous block.

Your claim is incorrect. The Israelis weren't going to dismantle all of the settlements. Barak had intended to dismantle 15 of the 42 settlements established in the West Bank. After pressure from the Council of Jewish Settlements he reduced the number to be dismantled to 12. Israel intended to retain control of the remaining settlements by the maintenance of bypass roads and military checkpoints.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Peace/barakot.html
http://gush-shalom.org/archives/offers.doc
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:49 am
InfraBlue wrote:
Pardon me, specifically, the information about Jewish American immigration to the Oblast was from the Jewish Autonomous Oblast webpage: http://www.able2know.com/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=1755834
Try using your link... But I don't have reasons to doubt your words here.

InfraBlue wrote:
Galilite wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
What are you talking about? Zionism was very much a product of Nineteenth Century European nationalism as much as any other European nationalist group was, and they proceeded together accordingly.
I'm talking about Ashkenazi Zionists of the Communist era in USSR (late 1920s - 1930s), who, I believe were virtually non-existent. I never heard of any noticeable group with points of view alternative to Communists, and Soviet Jews in particular were, on one hand, afraid as everybody else, and on the other hand, somewhat grateful to the Soviets for granting equality.
InfraBlue wrote:
The reason I quoted Dershowitz quoting Europeans was to confirm the Middle Eastern point of view that Israel is a Western colony because that is how Westerners see Israel.
I don't see how a Westerner's (Dershowitz's or European) point of view becomes Middle Eastern point of view.

InfraBlue wrote:
Galilite wrote:
Just one more about "the crux". Let's take a look at the following...

Where is the crux? ..
Just for you, Galilite, I will repeat my statement...

The imposition of the ethnocentric Zionist state in Palestine is the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West.

It isn't the center of the universe; it is the center of the conflict between the Middle East and the West.
Yep, OK, my mistake. However, if you look into each one of the listed conflicts (except Sudan) you'll see that the roots are in colonian policy of European states - especially territorial disputes. Ever wondered why the borders of the Arab states are so geometrically perfect?

By the way, in your reply to Oralloy you quote a source from 1999, I believe he was talking about 2000 - 2001 offers...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:01 am
InfraBlue wrote:
I don't think that it would be fair to say that someone is something like the Nazis if it was unqualified.

I clearly qualified my comparison.

I don't think such qualified comparisons are fair.

Even qualified comparisons strike me as attempts to smear the target of the comparison with the odium of being associated with the people who carried out the Holocaust.

InfraBlue wrote:
Your claim is incorrect. The Israelis weren't going to dismantle all of the settlements. Barak had intended to dismantle 15 of the 42 settlements established in the West Bank. After pressure from the Council of Jewish Settlements he reduced the number to be dismantled to 12. Israel intended to retain control of the remaining settlements by the maintenance of bypass roads and military checkpoints.

The graphic shows the settlements that were to be removed (they are triangles in the gray area) and the settlements that were to be kept (they are areas of darker blue in the light blue area).

I didn't count them, but I think there are more than 42 total.

There are certainly more than 15 that would have been dismantled.

Those links are not related to what Barak offered at Taba.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:43 am
InfraBlue wrote:
Moishe wrote:
Accepting that Israel is a "bigoted, ethnocentric state," how is it different from the rest of the "bigoted, ethnocentric states" in the Middle East and beyond.

It was imposed by the West for Westerners.

Oh.
Great.
Would you care to be any more obscure?
"the West" would be? Cowboys? Greece? Brazil? The United States? England? All of them combined? Your theory is that the "Western World," which would include most of the planet, from Australia to the Soviet Union, imposed Israel on the Middle East for Ecuadoreans and Icelanders to live in?
Is there some particular reason that in your very erroneous theory that you are reluctant to even write that "the West imposed Israel on the Middle East for the Jews to live in?"
So, your first statement is totally incorrect in both fact and intention.
"Westerners" did not impose Israel upon the Middle East for Westerners to live in.
The Palestinian Mandate was finally voted upon by a world body called the United Nations, and what was left of the former British Palestinian Mandate was divided up into two sections - one for a Jewish State and one for an Arab State.
Great Britain, which controlled British Palestine, did not not "impose" Israel as a Western State for Westerners. They didn't even "impose" a Western State for Jews.
What Great Britain did do was to impose a blockade to prevent the few hundred thousand remants of European Jewry from emigrating to Israel immediately after these few survivors were liberated from the death camps. Those that did manage to get past the British blockade, which rammed the immigrant ships and turned them back and made them disembark in such places as the former Nazi Germany, what they did do, if these Jews managed to get to British Palestine, was to put them into concentration camps in either old Crusader fortresses or in Cyprus. What Great Britain did do, as it tried to "impose" the Jewish State onto the Middle East was to arrest all the leaders of the Yishuv, the Jewish Agency in British Palestine, most of whom had lived there longer than the British had ruled there, and put them in prison.
Your ignorance is astounding.
Great Britain, the Western power that owned British Palestine, after turning over the decision of what to do with British Palestine to the newly formed United Nations, refused to implement the agreed upon Partition Plan and withdrew its forces from the Mandate, turning every single fotress and remaining armaments over to the Arabs, who pledged to wipe out the Jews who had been living there, legally, for the last fifty years, under both British and Ottoman rule.
Hell of an "imposition."
Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have the same problem with other large scale immigrant populations to any other country in the world? Is is a "crux" of conflicts in Greece or Turkey; in France; England; Pakistan; India; the United States? The European Jewish immigration to Israel is far smaller both proportionally and in fact than the Twentieth Century immigrant population to all of those countries. And, although I do not know this, I suspect it is smaller than almost any immigration to almost any country.

The issue isn't immigration, the issue is the creation of a Western ethnocentically bigoted state in the Middle East.

Okay, since that didn't happen, I'll just have to assume that you only have a problem with Jewish immigration.
Just to be clear.

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe you can run a poll as to how many Israelis would support the granting the Right of Return to the Palestinians, or, run a poll as to how many Israelis would support abandoning Israel's directive to maintain a "Jewish character." You can further quantify the responses along ethnic lines.

Ah. Good. Finally a cogent point.
I would suspect that just as many Israelis favor granting the Right of Return to Arabs as do Yemenis; Iranians; Iraqis; Syrians; Lebanese; Libyans; Moroccans; or Algerians do, or... Germans; Poles; Hungarians; and other Eastern Europeans did, favor granting the Right of Return for Jews.
Or, for that matter, any Arab country in the Middle East, with the exception of Jordan, favors giving the "Right of Return" for the Arabs called Palestinians to any Arab country.
Or, for that matter, any Middle Eastern country such as Turkey or Egypt or Sudan favors giving any "Right of Return" for any peoples such as Greeks; Armenians; Kurds; Libyans; or any other tribal African peoples.
I'd say about the same percentage in all cases.
And, to further quantify along ethnic and religious lines, I would say that a considerably higher percentage of Israelis would support abandoning Israel's directive to maintain a "Jewish character," than would any other surrounding Arab States support abandoning their directive to maintain an "Islamic character."
You're just playing here aren't you? You're not really that uninformed, are you?
I suggest you study Saudi Arabia a bit, if you'd like to understand what a bigoted, ethnocentric State is that kills people for violating its "Islamic character."

Quote:
Quote:

A comparison would be an argumentum ad populum fallacy as well as a red-herring, because while the surrounding countries may be as, or more, bigoted and, or ethnocentric does not negate the fact that Israel is bigoted and ethnocentric, and that its bigotry and ethnocentrism are a European construct, and that it was imposed by Westerners, and that this is the reason that it is the crux of the conflict between the West and the Middle East.

Ummm... No.
You are back to Point A, which is a total falsehood.
Care to try again?

Quote:
Quote:
If not, why not?

The states in the region were created by Westerners to further Western interests.

Well, with the exception of Israel, I actually think you are correct. How about that?
Quote:
The other states are not colonies of the West because their populations were and are, by and large, made up of peoples from the area.

Oh? "The area" means? The Middle East? North Africa? Asia? Could you be a bit more specific? (After all your "West" apparently includes the entire planet.) The "areas" surrounding Israel are all different. The two "areas" that have the largest influx of peoples from outside of their immediate "area," besides Israel, are Lebanon and Egypt. Many of the "areas" surrounding Israel were, at one point, most emphatically "colonies of the West."
Quote:
Israel was created expressly for Westerners, Ashkenazi Westerners

Back to Point A - same falsehood. Repeating it over and over again does not make it true. Of course, it might be difficult for some people to grasp what the heck it is you are writing about anyway as you seem to really have a problem with the word Jewish. But maybe I am ignorant. Tell me about these Westerners, that the West created Israel for. These, Ashkenazis? Help me understand.
Quote:
Quote:

Describing what Israel is is not a statement of hatred. It is a statement of fact. Israel is Western, bigoted and ethnocentric.

Repitition. Try again.

Quote:
Quote:

Peoples interpret their religions to suit their ends.

I do not believe that the words "incitement" and "crux" are synonomous.

Quote:

I'm at a loss of trying to explain it to you

Yes, you are.
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:11 pm
Moishe

You appear to be an educated and thoughtful person so I also must join others here in expressing utmost astonishment at the fact you cannot see self-evident (not to say blindingly obvious) facts:

Sadly my erudition on matters of judaism is quasi-nil but I also will try to explain the problem to you following the most elementary rules of logic:

Isabella of Spain, assorted Czars of All Russias, any number of other European potentates over the millenia have all said "the Jews must leave this area" --- remember the Roman Empire?? it said the same thing on its own controlled lands and those particular lands weren't even in Europe!!

So: if that was racist, and maybe (probably) it was, how is the converse, to wit establishment of a "Jewish state" NOT RACIST?????

Kindly understand I mean no offense, simply presenting a perfect mirror image logically speaking .......Thank you for disregarding for a moment whatever religious intolerance may be afflicting your sight and trying to view this from a standpoint of pure mathematical logic Smile
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:50 am
Heller
You seem to forget or at least ignore the fact that approximately 20% of the population of Israel is Palestinian. They as you seem to indicate are notbeing expelled. In addition as you have bee so kind to point out the Jews have been expelled through the centuries from nation after nation. And that was when they were not being murdered out right. And why? Because they did not have a land they could call their own.
The state of Israel is now that land and haven from the whims of our oppressors. And hopefully it will remain so into perpetuity. Never again should we turn the other cheek and go to our deaths like sheep to slaughter.
Whatever it takes to assure the ongoing sovereignty of Israel is fair game. And I do mean no matter what it takes.
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:22 pm
au1929 wrote:
Heller
You seem to forget or at least ignore the fact that approximately 20% of the population of Israel is Palestinian. They as you seem to indicate are notbeing expelled. In addition as you have bee so kind to point out the Jews have been expelled through the centuries from nation after nation. And that was when they were not being murdered out right. And why? Because they did not have a land they could call their own.
The state of Israel is now that land and haven from the whims of our oppressors. And hopefully it will remain so into perpetuity. Never again should we turn the other cheek and go to our deaths like sheep to slaughter.
Whatever it takes to assure the ongoing sovereignty of Israel is fair game. And I do mean no matter what it takes.

Well DUH you think anyone in the US or in Europe cares if you nuke all Arab lands, think again, EU is sick and tired of its own Islamic invaders to begin with and it only has 20 million of them. China will be happy if you nuke 500 million Moslems, it's too far away to be bothered by fallout.

But get this, Mr. AU, sitting safely in your Brooklyn home while urging Israelis to go out and nuke everyone downwind:

On the day these Israelis nukes start exploding every single nuclear power on earth will decide the Romans were right and the Zionist experiment HAS FAILED.

Think about it Smile
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:55 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:
Moishe

You appear to be an educated and thoughtful person so I also must join others here in expressing utmost astonishment at the fact you cannot see self-evident (not to say blindingly obvious) facts:

Sadly my erudition on matters of judaism is quasi-nil but I also will try to explain the problem to you following the most elementary rules of logic:

Isabella of Spain, assorted Czars of All Russias, any number of other European potentates over the millenia have all said "the Jews must leave this area" --- remember the Roman Empire?? it said the same thing on its own controlled lands and those particular lands weren't even in Europe!!

So: if that was racist, and maybe (probably) it was, how is the converse, to wit establishment of a "Jewish state" NOT RACIST?????

Kindly understand I mean no offense, simply presenting a perfect mirror image logically speaking .......Thank you for disregarding for a moment whatever religious intolerance may be afflicting your sight and trying to view this from a standpoint of pure mathematical logic Smile

No problemo.
Although, your response to Au was a tad nasty. And, as I happen to believe in the G-d of History, also untrue. The world has never supported "Zionist experiment" or any other Jewish "venture." History says that the Jews survive and prosper anyway. Unfortunately, History also says that the Jews tend to be slaughtered without mercy even as they try and survive and prosper. It's weird, but true.
Now, onto your query.
Your question seems to be, and correct me if I am wrong, if the expulsion and murder of Jews is racist, why isn't the establishment of a Jewish State racist?
Perhaps it is.
The problem with your question is that it seems to make the two things equal.
2,000 years of Murder; Expulsion; Discrimination; Degradation; etc. equals / is the exact same thing as: the establishment of the State of Israel.
I do not find this a useful, mathematical piece of logic.
How so?
What you are attempting to equate as equal is the idea of national or religious or ideological aspirations with the idea that this is the same as murder.
It's not.
Now, then again, it would certainly seem that our current Islamist friends believe and preach this equality, namely that your death is equal to their aspirations. But I reject this notion.
National, religious, ideological, etcetera, aspirations may indeed be evil and the cause of predjudice and murder, but that does not invalidate them. That doesn't change the fact that we, as humans, aspire to create a group or nation that is akin to what we happen to believe in. That's what humans do.
So, by equating this aspiration with evil, you equally condemn every religion; every nationality; every ethnic group; every peoples; everybody on the planet who aspires to create a commonality amongst themselves.
I happen to believe this is an extremely human condition and not a "racist" condition.
I also do not believe that you need to murder others in order to attempt to fullfill this aspiration.
So, therefore, I reject your analogy.
Mathematically speaking... :wink:
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 03:55 am
Galilite wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Try using your link... But I don't have reasons to doubt your words here.

Pardon me, here's the correct link:

http://www.eao.ru/eng/?p=361

Apparently, Stalin saw Zionism as a threat to the USSR as much as he did Judaism.

Quote:
I don't see how a Westerner's (Dershowitz's or European) point of view becomes Middle Eastern point of view.

The Westerners' point of view confirms the Middle Eastern point of view, in this case that Israel is a colony of the West.

Quote:
However, if you look into each one of the listed conflicts (except Sudan) you'll see that the roots are in colonian policy of European states - especially territorial disputes. Ever wondered why the borders of the Arab states are so geometrically perfect?

Oh yeah, I completely agree. The states in the Middle East were created to suit Western ends. Israel was created exactly for these purposes. The difference is that it created an ethnocentric Western state for Westerners, Ashkenazi Westerners, in the Middle East.

Quote:
By the way, in your reply to Oralloy you quote a source from 1999, I believe he was talking about 2000 - 2001 offers...

You're right.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 04:07 am
oralloy wrote:
I don't think such qualified comparisons are fair.

Even qualified comparisons strike me as attempts to smear the target of the comparison with the odium of being associated with the people who carried out the Holocaust.

To smear something or someone implies vilification by malicious imputation, the laying of responsibility or blame falsely or unjustly.

What is not false is that both Zionism and Nazism share a common informational origin, that of nineteenth century European nationalism. What is not false and hence not a vilification is that through this nationalistic ideology, which was specifically ethnocentric, the Nazis as well as the Zionists attempted to establish bigoted, ethnocentric states. What is odious is that the Nazis attempted to ethnically cleanse areas of Europe under its control through the systematic destruction of various peoples it deemed "not Aryan," or detrimental to Nazi ends. What is also odious is that Zionism attempted to ethnically cleanse the state it was erecting in Palestine by pursuing a policy of "transfer"--the massacre of goyim in the lands it controlled to terrorize and drive them out during its War of Independence--to create a "manageable minority" of goyim in that selfsame state. It is ironic, at best, that the Zionists point to the Nazis and their attempts to create an ethnocentric state as a rationalization for their own creation of an ethnocentric state. What is not false that this contradiction is a blatant hypocrisy. What is just is to point out this contradiction.

Needless to say, I do not agree that such qualified comparisons are not fair.

You are right, those links don't reflect what was put on the table at Taba. According to the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs Barak's main three positions were:

1. Israel will never allow the right of Palestinian refugees to return to inside the State of Israel.

2. Prime Minister Barak will not sign any document which transfers sovereignty over the Temple Mount to the Palestinians.

3. Israel insists that in any settlement, 80% of the Jewish residents of Judea, Samaria and Gaza will be in settlement blocs under Israeli sovereignty.

Concerning Jerusalem, at the Camp David meetings in July 2000 the Palestinians accepted the idea of Israeli control over the Wailing Wall, the Jewish Quarter of the Old City, and Jewish neighborhoods of East Jerusalem that were not part of Israel before the '67 war, and that all of Arab East Jerusalem come under Palestinian control.

Concerning the Right of Return, the Palestinians put forth a set of principles rather than proposals on how to deal with the issue. They insisted on the need to recognize the refugees' right of return. They recognized Israel's ethnocentric demographic interests in keeping an overwhelming Jewish majority there. Before Camp David Arafat had petitioned Clinton in helping to draw up proposals to deal with the conflicting imperatives in a way that would not seem like a sell out to the vast Palestinian refugee constituency which makes up about half of the Palestinian population. At Camp David some of the Palestinian negotiators had proposed annual quotas of Palestinian returnees.

The Palestinians insisted that Israel accept responsibility in creating the refugee problem.

The Palestinians, for their part, accepted the idea of Israel annexing portions of the West Bank to acaccommodatehe sesettlementlocks to which Israel intended to relocate the 80% of Jewish residents in the West Bank on condition for a one-to-one swap of equitable land. They also argued that the annexed territory should neither affect the contiguity of their own land nor lead to the incorporation of Palestinians into Israel.

At the Camp David meetings, President Clinton proposed a 9 to 1 percent deal between Israel and the Palestinians. The proposal would have entailed the inincorporation ofens of thousands of Palestinians into Israeli territory near the annexed settlements, and the settlements themselves would have encroached deep into Palestinian territory. Later, in December of that year he proposed a 4 or 6 to 1 or 3 percent ratio of land swap. In January of 2001 the Palestinians themselves proposed a 3.1 percent swap of land to Israel with the same percentage swapped to them in Israeli areas bordering the West Bank and Gaza.

What happened at the end is that Israel was as stubborn in reneging coconcessionsn the major positions of the Palestinians as the Palestinians were in regard to Israel's. Arafat dragged his feet, Barak continued building and expanding settlements, Sharon incited the Palestinians, the second intifada commenced and the peace efforts fell by the wayside.
0 Replies