'Israel should dismantle nuclear weapons' US Army War Colleg

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:28 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:
Sorry Moishe, I'm not really picky, I'm just struggling to follow the arguments here.

I appreciate your and everybody else's restatements, clarifications and corrections......

I apologize. I wrongly assumed that you were being sarcastic.
Confused
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:02 pm
Moishe wrote:
For approximately the last 100 years the Palestinians, which is what the Jews were called before they became citizens of the State of Israel, living in what is today called the State of Israel, have been attacked.

Since the beginning of that hundred year time span to which you refer, to the time even before the creation of Israel, nearer the turn of the last century, what had been attacked was the imposition of an externally imposed, ethnically bigoted state in the land we now call Israel and Palestine, itself informed by the racism and ethnocentricity of nineteenth century European Nationalism. That nationalistic movement was, and is, Zionism. Ironically, Nazism was itself informed by that very same ideology as Zionism. This attack to which you refer was, and largely is, a Middle Eastern reaction to that ideology and its product, the state of Israel. I believe the slur "savage tribes" was also used by your Zionist predecessors in describing the goyim of those lands, moishe. It's illustrative of the intolerant, racially myopic mentality of the times. You are a living anachronism.

Moishe further wrote:
Under Oslo, the PA came into existence; Israel and the world financed the PA; Israel armed and trained the PA; and Israel committed itself and indeed did, negotiate with the moral and actual equivalent of Osama bin Laden, Arafat the Rotting (y'mach shmo).

Your inane comparison aside, I also think Arafat had become a liability, and hinderance to the peace process, but at the same time, so did the Israeli right also become a hinderance thereto, seizing upon the terrorism perpetrated by the Israeli extreme-right, the assassination of Rabin, as an opportunity to circumvent the progress that he had made through Oslo.

What's more, Moishe wrote:
There is no government; no ruling faction or clan; no law; no order, at all in Gaza or the West Bank. It is chaos and anarchy and death created, not by Israel, but by those that live there.

This is the fault of both the Palestinians and Israel as well as the world community as a whole.

Being rhetorical, Moishe wrote:
And the suggestions are that Israel simply give up?

The suggestions are that, most ideally, Israel and Palestine become a single nation and mandates for the maintenance of a bigoted, ethnocentric state be repealed, or that a Palestinian state be created along the pre-'67 War boundaries with East Jerusalem as its capital, and the Right of Return enacted in the state of Israel.

Continuing the rhetoric, Moishe wrote:
Tear down the fence?

The fence should have been erected along the pre-'67 boundaries.

Moishe the anachronism wrote:
Give the savage tribes more money?

See the last sentence of the first paragraph here for a response to this racist drivel.

In a fit of sneering cynicism, Moishe the Misanthrope wrote:
My suggestion is that you all go over and help your helpless friends. Maybe your money and lives will feed the poor Arabs known as Palestinians. Try it!

It is raving haters like you who are in positions of power in this conflict that are largely to blame for why this conflict has festered like an open, gangrenous sore, waiting to be treated. To be fair, there are mirror images of youself on the other side of the coin.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:05 am
Moishe3rd wrote:
Galilite wrote:
If you look back at last 15 years...
If you look back at the last 75 years, you'll see that with no exceptions, Israel has been under constant attack.
Moishe - perhaps I wasn't clear in that posting, but my message was exactly that - Israel has to resort to the current measures because other measures failed...

InfraBlue - is it all personal???

To clarify a bit about the background, I suggest an interesting read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Arab-Israeli_War
(the background chapter is quite enough yet not too long)
and about this character:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amin_al-Husayni

Wikipedia people here did a great job; I don't think any of the sides can blaim them of being biased. As you all probably know, everyone can express a doubt on their "Talks" page and if it is more or less serious, the article will be marked as "disputed".
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:05 am
InfraBlue wrote:
Since the beginning of that hundred year time span to which you refer, to the time even before the creation of Israel, nearer the turn of the last century, what had been attacked was the imposition of an externally imposed, ethnically bigoted state in the land we now call Israel and Palestine, itself informed by the racism and ethnocentricity of nineteenth century European Nationalism. That nationalistic movement was, and is, Zionism. Ironically, Nazism was itself informed by that very same ideology as Zionism. This attack to which you refer was, and largely is, a Middle Eastern reaction to that ideology and its product, the state of Israel.

The notion that the Jews might return to their homeland is neither racist nor bigoted. And it is the exact opposite of Nazism.

InfraBlue wrote:

The suggestions are that, most ideally, Israel and Palestine become a single nation and mandates for the maintenance of a bigoted, ethnocentric state be repealed, or that a Palestinian state be created along the pre-'67 War boundaries with East Jerusalem as its capital, and the Right of Return enacted in the state of Israel.

The second suggestion is a non-starter. The Right of Return is incompatible with a two-state solution.

That said, Barak did offer them just that. However, the Palestinians toppled him with their Intifada. Now they have to contend with Sharon drawing the borders of their state unilaterally.

InfraBlue wrote:
Tear down the fence?

The wall is being erected on the future border between Israel and the Palestinian state.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:58 am
Galilite wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:
Galilite wrote:
If you look back at last 15 years...
If you look back at the last 75 years, you'll see that with no exceptions, Israel has been under constant attack.
Moishe - perhaps I wasn't clear in that posting, but my message was exactly that - Israel has to resort to the current measures because other measures failed...

Oops Embarrassed
Yes, indeed

Quote:

Maybe it has something to do with where he lives... That could make anyone cranky...
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:33 am
InfraBlue wrote:
Moishe wrote:
For approximately the last 100 years the Palestinians, which is what the Jews were called before they became citizens of the State of Israel, living in what is today called the State of Israel, have been attacked.

Since the beginning of that hundred year time span to which you refer, to the time even before the creation of Israel, nearer the turn of the last century, what had been attacked was the imposition of an externally imposed, ethnically bigoted state in the land we now call Israel and Palestine, itself informed by the racism and ethnocentricity of nineteenth century European Nationalism. That nationalistic movement was, and is, Zionism. Ironically, Nazism was itself informed by that very same ideology as Zionism. This attack to which you refer was, and largely is, a Middle Eastern reaction to that ideology and its product, the state of Israel. I believe the slur "savage tribes" was also used by your Zionist predecessors in describing the goyim of those lands, moishe. It's illustrative of the intolerant, racially myopic mentality of the times. You are a living anachronism.

Laughing
I love it when you talk obtuse to me...
Mmmmm.... Well, okay, just for fun, let's clarify:
The "externally imposed" that we call Israel and Palestine? Great. You want to turn back the clock and call it the Ottoman Empire. Nice. But, don't you think that's a bit anachronistic?
Really, Infra, in your rant above, aren't you merely bemoaning the passage of time and longing for the "good old days" when the Arabs could murder each other daily without the interference of the Jews who should have all (the survivors, anyway) been kept in their European ghettos?
As upset as you are, perhaps you might want to take a different tack than simply longing for the past... Anachronism?

Quote:
Moishe further wrote:
Under Oslo, the PA came into existence; Israel and the world financed the PA; Israel armed and trained the PA; and Israel committed itself and indeed did, negotiate with the moral and actual equivalent of Osama bin Laden, Arafat the Rotting (y'mach shmo).

Your inane comparison aside, I also think Arafat had become a liability, and hinderance to the peace process, but at the same time, so did the Israeli right also become a hinderance thereto, seizing upon the terrorism perpetrated by the Israeli extreme-right, the assassination of Rabin, as an opportunity to circumvent the progress that he had made through Oslo.

The progress at Oslo? Arafat the Rotting a liability? You are so euphemistic. Oslo was a disaster because Arafat the Rotting was either: already insane; or, simply the power mad terrorist he always was who managed to play everybody in the world in some bizarre zero sum game where he stole all the money! He deliberately turned the different tribes; factions; clans; groups against each other to murder each other in order to maintain power! He betrayed every trust and agreement he ever made! He sinlgle-handedly led the Arab and Israeli fools who trusted in him into death, destruction, and despair.
Okay, yeah, I guess he was a "liability"... Rolling Eyes
Quote:
What's more, Moishe wrote:
There is no government; no ruling faction or clan; no law; no order, at all in Gaza or the West Bank. It is chaos and anarchy and death created, not by Israel, but by those that live there.

This is the fault of both the Palestinians and Israel as well as the world community as a whole.

Laughing Laughing Laughing And the solution? Maybe invade Gaza and impose Law and Order? Laughing Laughing Laughing
You are so odd.

Quote:

Naw. I don't think so. But, you are certainly welcome to surrender wherever you live to the Mexicans; or perhaps the Commanche, the Kiowa, or the Wichita... You have a lot of folk that you could invite to live with you.

Quote:
Tear down the fence?

Why? No other Arab people ever recognized the "pre-'67 boundaries" as borders. Hell, they didn't even recognize the "pre-Israel boundaries" as borders. It's really a very simple idea, Infra.
You try and kill me. I hit you over the head. I offer you terms. You say no. Then you try and kill me again. I hit you again. Now, my terms are not as generous. You say no. And it goes on until, finally, you have nothing...
Quote:
Moishe the anachronism wrote:
Give the savage tribes more money?

See the last sentence of the first paragraph here for a response to this racist drivel.

Well, perhaps you are uncomfortable with the adjective "savage?"
It seems an apt descriptor of someone who consistently murders their own children. Child Murderers is a little too wordy.
And tribes? You have an argument with tribes? You really should visit Gaza. You might find it enlightening. The entire Muslim world is a world of tribes and clans. That's the fac' Jac'

Quote:
In a fit of sneering cynicism, Moishe the Misanthrope wrote:
My suggestion is that you all go over and help your helpless friends. Maybe your money and lives will feed the poor Arabs known as Palestinians. Try it!

It is raving haters like you who are in positions of power in this conflict that are largely to blame for why this conflict has festered like an open, gangrenous sore, waiting to be treated. To be fair, there are mirror images of youself on the other side of the coin

Now, Infra, be honest. Read your first paragraph. Objectively speaking, I suspect that most would find it far more of a "rave" than anything I wrote.
My "raving hatred" quotient operates in direct proportion to those who wish to surrender the reins of civilization to people who promise; vow; state unequivocably; and act upon their pledges, of wishing to destroy, murder and obliterate, not just Israel, but anyone whom they dislike.
Folks like you, who believe it's no big deal to turn over the civilized world to hateful, murderous, maniacs.... puzzle me.
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:44 am
Excuse me but who cares about pre- or post- 1967 borders when it comes to nuclear weapons??

Earlier on this thread I posted a link to a USAF study estimating them at over 200, so I'll stay with that number, and my question is:

How can 200+ nukes be used defensively when the territory of Israel is so small?? Fallout is sure to affect either the Mediterranean or other neighboring portions of Eurasia or of course both. One or two weapons could be considered "defensive" like, say, France or England have, (proportionally to extent of respective territories) but 200+ .... HOW can they not be viewed as a massive OFFENSIVE capability??

Any (polite, please) reply greatly appreciated!!
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:09 am
Louise_R_Heller wrote:
Excuse me but who cares about pre- or post- 1967 borders when it comes to nuclear weapons??

Earlier on this thread I posted a link to a USAF study estimating them at over 200, so I'll stay with that number, and my question is:

How can 200+ nukes be used defensively when the territory of Israel is so small?? Fallout is sure to affect either the Mediterranean or other neighboring portions of Eurasia or of course both. One or two weapons could be considered "defensive" like, say, France or England have, (proportionally to extent of respective territories) but 200+ .... HOW can they not be viewed as a massive OFFENSIVE capability??

If indeed Israel has had nukes since approximately 1967 or so, then Israel has obviously not used them in any offensive capacity when it was either being attacked as in '73 and '91 or when it has responded to other military situations such as Lebanon; Syria; and in the West Bank and Gaza.

The principal behind nuclear weapons when Israel developed them was MAD - Mutual Assured Destruction. The idea being that if one country attacked another country in such a way as to obliterate it (nuclear weapons were the WMD's of choice at that time), then the country that was attacked would be sure to wipe out the attacking country.
This idea was supposed to promote the idea that no sane country would attack another country in that fashion because they themselves would be destroyed.

As the discussion on the table has to do with Iran developing nuclear weapons, there is now a flaw in the MAD argument. Various Iranian leaders have pledged or encouraged the use of nuclear weapons against Israel. Their religious reasoning is that even if Israel destroys Iran, there are still another billion Muslims in the world, more or less, and if Iran wiped out Israel, it would have committed a "holy act."
RAFSANJANI SAYS MUSLIMS SHOULD USE NUCLEAR WEAPON AGAINST ISRAEL

In other words MAD doesn't work if they are crazy.

Nonetheless, it is still a deterrent to those that are not crazy. Which is, I suppose an argument for the sanity of Saddam Hussein. He did not use chemical weapons in his scuds when he attacked Israel in '91. Israel would most likely have nuked Iraq if there was massive death as the result of that (completely unprovoked, mindless) attack on Israel.
So, perhaps Israel's nuclear deterrent is working.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 09:25 am
Moishe3rd, oralloy,Galilite
The basic premise of our "friends" on the other side of the argument is that as they and the Arabs believe. Israel has no right to exist therefore, anything that weakens Israel and leads to it's destruction is welcome. For centuries the Jews have been the patsies and scapegoats of the world and have gone to their deaths like sheep to slaughter. I say never again. Anything and every thing needed to keep Israel safe and secure is IMO acceptable.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:16 am
Louise_R_Heller wrote:

I am unsure what the geographic size of a country, or the number of weapons, has to do with anything.

Nuclear weapons tend to be offensive weapons, but they can always be employed in a defensive war (against a country that has attacked you).

I'd say Israel's nukes represent a moderate offensive capability. For examples of a massive offensive capability, look to the US or Russia.

During the Cold War a single Ohio class submarine would carry the equivalent of Israel's entire arsenal.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:40 am
I can't help but wonder if the people calling for the dismantling of Israel's nukes based upon the fantasy, that if Israel didn't have them none of their enemies would try to develop or want them. If the same thinking persists for the US. If we dismantled ours everyone else would.
Or is it "do as I say not as I do".

I wonder if the people in the Army college had a hand in the planning for Iraq? Rolling Eyes Embarrassed
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 03:39 pm
Galilite wrote:

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking that do I take it all personally? If so, then no, I don't take it personally. Are you asking if it affects me personally? If so, then it, the Israel/Palestine Conflict does not affect me personally in that I don't have any personal connections to that region. Being a US citizen, it affects me indirectly in the way that the US goes about dealing with the issue.

Rather, I'm just calling it the way it is, Galilite. Do you take my posts personally?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 03:47 pm
oralloy wrote:
The notion that the Jews might return to their homeland is neither racist nor bigoted. And it is the exact opposite of Nazism.

I didn't say that Zionism is racist. I said that Zionism is ethnocentric. The notion that "the Jews might return to their homeland" is ethnocentric and bigoted because it ignores the reality of the existence of the Eastern and Central European Jews, the Ashkenazim, that is, their origins as a mix of peoples that came from Palestine with peoples that originated in those parts of Europe. Zionism slights the other, European origin of the Ashkenazim. Zionism is ethnocentric and bigoted precisely because it is centered around ethnocentric goals, ideologies, and perceived ethnocentric rights.

The details of Zionism and Nazism differ. This fact doesn't negate the fact that they are both informed by the nationalist philosophies and ideologies, which generally was racist, ethnocentric and therefore bigoted, that suffused Europe during the nineteenth century.

oralloy wrote:
The second suggestion is a non-starter. The Right of Return is incompatible with a two-state solution.

The Right of Return is incompatible with the ideology of an ethnocentrically motivated state. The two state solution also serves the ethnocentric motivations of Zionism. This illustrates the ethnocentricity of Zionism.

oralloy wrote:
That said, Barak did offer them just that. However, the Palestinians toppled him with their Intifada. Now they have to contend with Sharon drawing the borders of their state unilaterally.

Barak offered a patchwork prison state to the Palestinians. That is what they rejected in the Oslo Accords. Sharon is using that as a pretext for his unilateral moves.

oralloy wrote:
The wall is being erected on the future border between Israel and the Palestinian state.

Your contention that the wall is being erected on the future border between Israel and the Palestinian state belies what the government of Israel had publicly stated. That the Israeli government plans to encroach on the '67 boundaries further dims expectations of peace in the region. They are effectively planing and doing their part to thwart peace.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 04:06 pm
Moishe wrote:
As upset as you are, perhaps you might want to take a different tack than simply longing for the past...

I am not upset (talk about projection), nor am I longing for the past. I am pointing to the fact that the imposition of the ethnocentric Zionist state in Palestine is the cause of the conflict in Israel/Palestine, and the crux of the conflict between the Middle East and the West.

Moishe wrote:
Arafat the Rotting a liability? . . . Okay, yeah, I guess he was a "liability"...

Feel free to use whatever descriptives you wish.

Moishe wrote:
He sinlgle-handedly led the Arab and Israeli fools who trusted in him into death, destruction, and despair.

With Israel's help, of course.

Moishe redundantly wrote:
And the solution? Maybe invade Gaza and impose Law and Order?

I've already outlined the solutions in my previous post.

In yet another sneering fit, Moishe wrote:
Naw. I don't think so. But, you are certainly welcome to surrender wherever you live to the Mexicans; or perhaps the Commanche, the Kiowa, or the Wichita... You have a lot of folk that you could invite to live with you.

This is a straw-man argument, and a red herring, Moishe. I've already described how those of your ilk are liabilities to the peace process.

Cluelessly, Moishe wrote:
Why? No other Arab people ever recognized the "pre-'67 boundaries" as borders. Hell, they didn't even recognize the "pre-Israel boundaries" as borders. It's really a very simple idea, Infra.
You try and kill me. I hit you over the head. I offer you terms. You say no. Then you try and kill me again. I hit you again. Now, my terms are not as generous. You say no. And it goes on until, finally, you have nothing...

The "might makes right" mentality is also a liability to the peace process.

In drooling spite, Moishe wrote:
Well, perhaps you are uncomfortable with the adjective "savage?"
It seems an apt descriptor of someone who consistently murders their own children. Child Murderers is a little too wordy.
And tribes? You have an argument with tribes? You really should visit Gaza. You might find it enlightening. The entire Muslim world is a world of tribes and clans. That's the fac' Jac'

Correct, the Arabs are generally a tribal people. Its a part of their Semitism. However, you, Moishe, do not have to go to Palestine to see a savage, to do that you merely have to step before your nearest mirror.

Revealing the depth of his pathological bigotry as expressed by his utter bewilderment, Moishe wrote:
Now, Infra, be honest. Read your first paragraph. Objectively speaking, I suspect that most would find it far more of a "rave" than anything I wrote.
My "raving hatred" quotient operates in direct proportion to those who wish to surrender the reins of civilization to people who promise; vow; state unequivocably; and act upon their pledges, of wishing to destroy, murder and obliterate, not just Israel, but anyone whom they dislike.
Folks like you, who believe it's no big deal to turn over the civilized world to hateful, murderous, maniacs.... puzzle me.

My first paragraph is an objective view of the situation in Israel/Palestine. I'm merely pointing out the facts. Ethnocentrism is not civilized, no matter how you try to rationalize it. Your myopic bigotry blinds you from the reality of the situation there. Unfortunately, too many people in the position of power share your deficiencies.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 06:27 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
I didn't say that Zionism is racist. I said that Zionism is ethnocentric. The notion that "the Jews might return to their homeland" is ethnocentric and bigoted because it ignores the reality of the existence of the Eastern and Central European Jews, the Ashkenazim, that is, their origins as a mix of peoples that came from Palestine with peoples that originated in those parts of Europe. Zionism slights the other, European origin of the Ashkenazim. Zionism is ethnocentric and bigoted precisely because it is centered around ethnocentric goals, ideologies, and perceived ethnocentric rights.

The details of Zionism and Nazism differ. This fact doesn't negate the fact that they are both informed by the nationalist philosophies and ideologies, which generally was racist, ethnocentric and therefore bigoted, that suffused Europe during the nineteenth century.

Things can be nationalist and still quite different. For instance, I am quite pro-American, but am nothing like a Nazi.

The trait of the Nazis which most stands out is genocide. So long as Israel isn't trying to commit genocide, they can't be anything like the Nazis.

InfraBlue wrote:
Barak offered a patchwork prison state to the Palestinians.

That is incorrect. Barak offered them 95% of the West Bank, in one contiguous block, a capital in Jerusalem, and a limited Right of Return.

Here is a map of what Barak offered in the West Bank (the Palestinians would have got everything that is grey; the Israelis would have kept what is in Blue):

http://www.fmep.org/maps/map_data/redeployment/final_status_map_taba.gif

High resolution: http://www.fmep.org/maps/map_data/redeployment/final_status_map_taba.pdf

InfraBlue wrote:
Your contention that the wall is being erected on the future border between Israel and the Palestinian state belies what the government of Israel had publicly stated.

True, but I can read between the lines there.

InfraBlue wrote:
That the Israeli government plans to encroach on the '67 boundaries further dims expectations of peace in the region. They are effectively planing and doing their part to thwart peace.

The peace process is already dead. It didn't survive Barak being voted out of office during the Intifada.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 07:38 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Galilite wrote:
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking that do I take it all personally? If so, then no, I don't take it personally. Are you asking if it affects me personally? If so, then it, the Israel/Palestine Conflict does not affect me personally in that I don't have any personal connections to that region. Being a US citizen, it affects me indirectly in the way that the US goes about dealing with the issue.
I meant those additions like "misanthrope" and "anachronism".
InfraBlue wrote:
Rather, I'm just calling it the way it is, Galilite. Do you take my posts personally?
Yours - no... At least, not yet.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:23 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:

Louise - a very interesting document indeed. But I have another question:

I am no expert in nuclear weapons, but - what about testing? I understand that, unlike chemical or biological warfare, it is an extremely difficult process.

The USAF study many times mentions that Israeli weapons didn't require any tests as it used French test results (??) and quotes two possible tests: one in south Indian Ocean, "believed to be a South Africa-Israel joint nuclear test" and another - accusation by a member of the Knesset. I tracked the source of the latter (why I am not surprised?):
Quote:
Abdel Wahab Darawhsheh, from the United Arab List, said in parliament that Israel had "exploded a neutron bomb which caused the quake," but he did not give the source of his information.
Knesset members, especially from small parties which come and go (no, not necessarily Arab ones), sometimes tend to come up with amazing discoveries from undisclosed sources. Personally, I wouldn't bet much on their credibility. In 90s, Israeli Arabs voted for mainstream parties like Avoda (Labour) or even Likud; this United Arab List was backed up by small amount of blue collar voters. I find it even harder to believe that someone would disclose such information to a villager like Darawhsheh - there are much more influential figures there that would gladly make it public.

With regards to the first probable nuclear test - there are some discrepancies as well. Vanunu's photographs mentioned in the same USAF report, show airborne nuclear devices. A report quoted again in this USAF report, says an artillery nuclear shell was tested. How come??? And how one sneaks nuclear equipment to Indian Ocean past Arab countries?

There is (and I'm basing it on anecdotal evidence - college friends living in Dimona...) definitely some radiation there in Dimona, but nowhere as high as, for example, in Semipalatinsk (former Soviet nuclear polygon) - where humans and animals have hereditary diseases...

As Moishe cited, Israeli nukes (if they exist!) are not meant to be used - because it is plain suicidal. They are meant to be a scarecrow. My personal opinion - a scarecrow doesn't have to be fully armed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:01 pm
au1929 wrote:
I can't help but wonder if the people calling for the dismantling of Israel's nukes based upon the fantasy, that if Israel didn't have them none of their enemies would try to develop or want them. If the same thinking persists for the US. If we dismantled ours everyone else would.

I've found that anti-weapons people tend to oppose nukes no matter who has them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 10:40 pm
Galilite wrote:
I am no expert in nuclear weapons, but - what about testing? I understand that, unlike chemical or biological warfare, it is an extremely difficult process.

The USAF study many times mentions that Israeli weapons didn't require any tests as it used French test results (??) and quotes two possible tests: one in south Indian Ocean, "believed to be a South Africa-Israel joint nuclear test"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vela_Incident

Probably a test of an Israeli copy of an American W79-1 (atomic artillery shell).

Galilite wrote:
With regards to the first probable nuclear test - there are some discrepancies as well. Vanunu's photographs mentioned in the same USAF report, show airborne nuclear devices. A report quoted again in this USAF report, says an artillery nuclear shell was tested. How come??? And how one sneaks nuclear equipment to Indian Ocean past Arab countries?

What discrepancies are you talking about?

They tested the artillery shell to verify that the design worked.

I don't think the Arab countries are in any position to monitor Israeli shipping.

Galilite wrote:
As Moishe cited, Israeli nukes (if they exist!) are not meant to be used - because it is plain suicidal. They are meant to be a scarecrow. My personal opinion - a scarecrow doesn't have to be fully armed.

I'm not sure that it is necessarily suicidal. That would depend on the enemy's ability to hit back.

However, it is true that Israel would not annihilate all the Arabs unless it was their last act before being destroyed.

They might be inclined to hit an invading army with tactical nukes before reaching that point, however.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 03:38 am
oralloy wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vela_Incident

Probably a test of an Israeli copy of an American W79-1 (atomic artillery shell).
Thanks, a very insightful piece of info!

However, the article itself casts doubt whether it was a real nuclear blast or a glitch in Vela.

It sounds like you know this stuff in depth. Is it possible, in your opinion, to develop an array of nuclear weapons with 1 or 2 tests over 30-40 years?
oralloy wrote:
What discrepancies are you talking about?

They tested the artillery shell to verify that the design worked.
That's what I'm saying:
[url=http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/israel/nuke/farr.htm]USAF[/url] wrote:
Mordechai Vanunu provided the best look at the Israeli nuclear arsenal in 1985 complete with photographs.[93] ... His data shows a sophisticated nuclear program, over 200 bombs, with boosted devices, neutron bombs, F-16 deliverable warheads, and Jericho warheads.[94]
No mention of artillery shells. It could be omitted, of course, but - this does not match.
oralloy wrote:
I don't think the Arab countries are in any position to monitor Israeli shipping.
They have coast guards, and an Israeli (or South African) ship would have to go through Red Sea. By air it is probably even more difficult (even civilian planes flying from Israel are not allowed to fly over most Arab states). The same article says: "... it is questioned whether they [Israel] had the capability to mount a covert test thousands of kilometers away."
oralloy wrote:
Galilite wrote:
I'm not sure that it is necessarily suicidal. That would depend on the enemy's ability to hit back.
But what about the geographic proximity? Damascus is just 40 km away from the Israeli border...
0 Replies