Our house, in the middle of our street.....

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 01:44 pm
This is a partial view of the "Mo Gallery". It is a long skinny hallway and therefore impossible to photograph. For many reasons this is one of my favorite places in my house:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/t8.jpg
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:12 pm
I've said it before, but I'll say it again...That kid is going to break some hearts...What a doll!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:43 pm
Isn't he just too, too pretty?

He's starting to get tired of having his photo taken but I can still usually coax him into it (or trick him into it).

Where are your photos, Swimpy?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:03 pm
In a couple of days. I don't have a camera at home right now. I promise, though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:10 pm
I'm looking forward to it.

I really hope others will post some photos of their house too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 06:22 pm
I've been plotting. I have three exposures left and want to make good use of them. (I tend to take pictures pretty slowly and if I start a new roll it'd be another month or so until they're developed, probably.) I want to take a few in places that have gorgeous light when it's sunny, but it's been overcast.

If it doesn't let up soon, will just go for it.

And Mo is absolutely beautiful. I want to do the gallery thing. We had one in Naperville, but for some reason (no good reason) we haven't gotten to the putting-pictures-up stage here yet. I have a closet full of framed photos, prints, posters, etc., and then one poster up in the kitchen that was a Major Undertaking. Ridiculous. I think we're both a bit leery of pockmarking our walls and want to get furniture in a more-or-less final configuration first. Like, I just moved my desk (LOVE the new set-up!!!). But I think we're close.

We have a long narrow hallway that I have earmarked for the gallery, too, not really good for anything else and a nice white background.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:32 pm
I can't wait, soz!

Mr. B has that pockmarked wall thing too but after 20 years with me he's finally relaxing a bit.

The scruffiness of our house is one of the reasons I finally feel content here. It's also one of the reasons that I'm so weird about pristine things and prefer things I don't have to worry about. (Our new sofa is already starting to look more a part of the place than it did two days ago.)

The Mo gallery is one of the few white spaces we have left and I think it will be changing this winter. I usually save my "projects" for when my mom comes to visit. She lives with my sister in a more pristine environment and loves to come muck it up with me. I have my eye on some cool grass cloth wallpaper for that wall that is tan with shots of green and red (the predominate colors in my house).

But I also have that copper backdrop I made for the old studio that I think might just about cover that wall.....

Hmmmm.......

Which to pick?

Mr. B insists that we will have to completely repaint everything white if we ever want to sell this place. He's probably right but doing so will surely break my heart.

I like things a bit distressed and imperfect.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 07:41 pm
So do I.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:00 pm
Mo's picture gallery is indeed precious. He's one photogenic
child and so expressive. I like seeing walls in other colors
than white, and you've chosen very warm colors boomer -
you'd sell it in a heartbeat (without any changes).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:04 pm
Green and red predominate here too!

I just love red. Have to have red. And green seems to be a good foil for it.

It's all very seasonal this time of year, though that's incidental.

This is the first house we've owned and I think we're both still a little bit "careful, don't break it!" We pocked up previous (rented) houses happily.

Right now almost all of our walls are white (well, cream, not WHITE white) and it's driving me absolutely batshit. But we've had so many more pressing things to take care of -- things are almost settling down to the point where we might get to that phase, but still probably not until summer.

The people who lived here before us were super neutral. Neutral walls, neutral furniture, cream and tan predominating. I bought a bunch of mostly red (very nice, wool) oriental rugs at IKEA before we left and tossed them all over first thing, just so I could breathe a bit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:39 pm
Are your walls plaster or sheetrock, Soz?

If they are plaster and there is any crown molding, there are ways... or one can put a 1x board up at the ceiling. Hang things via fishline from above. Or... put up picture molding across the wall at x height. The molding in our house in venice had dado'd ridges in it, and one could lean pictures against the wall and they'd stay because of the ridge. (Hard to explain.) Maybe I should google for a photo to show what I'm talking about.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:11 pm
boomerang wrote:
This is a partial view of the "Mo Gallery". It is a long skinny hallway and therefore impossible to photograph. For many reasons this is one of my favorite places in my house:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/t8.jpg

very cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:29 pm
I couldn't find any photos so far to show what I am talking about re the craftsman type picture shelf. Oh, well..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:36 pm
I think I know what you mean, though. Sort of like a plate rack, or whatever. We had one in one of our houses, I think, it's a bit fuzzy, but I know what you mean.

The walls stand up to nails fine and can bear weight (maybe we'll find a stud for the heaviest stuff, but there isn't much), we just want to avoid putting in a nail, then deciding the picture should go elsewhere (because of furniture rearrangement, especially), then nailing more nails, and leaving old nails sitting or taking them out and leaving holes, repeatedly. (I made diagrams and stuff with scale drawings before we moved in and some stuff was put there by movers and has stayed exactly there, other things are still migrating around trying to find their permanent home.)

Mostly, it's just something we didn't do right away, and then we've got used to it. For our limited time for projects, that's too far down the list to have gotten attention yet. I do have lots of things propped up on various surfaces, and there were a few nails in the walls already that I've hung stuff on. But we have a lot (!) further to go.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 09:54 pm
And, even if I found a photo, that doesn't at all go with every house, or even every room in an old craftsman house.
Have fun..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:02 am
It is interesting to me that people find white/off white neutral. I find it impossible to work with. All that contrast feels very cold to me. I think my house's walls are much more neutral.

I do like white/light colored walls in the right kind of house. My house has really no architectural interest though and white (everything was hospital white when we moved in) just makes it plain, plain, plain.

osso said something earlier about the color of the walls in her gallery. Art galleries are a wonderful place to find wall color inspiration.

You know, I think my house would sell like it is too, CJane. Most of the people who visit really like all of the color (or say they do). Mr. B talks about moving once in a while. I talk about building a new kitchen instead.

Thanks husker!
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:34 am
This is an interesting thread.
Boomerang, you have a great taste. I like the colors you have chosen for your rooms.
I am a white person- very dull compared to all of you. My flat is white.
Right now I am in the middle of renovating.
This is part of my livingroom- Not cleaned up for a nice picture.

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/1713/13wt1.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:38 am
Ooooh, look at all those books! <drool>

And those are some impressive... trees! Wow.

Lovely parquet (?) floor, too.

I do like the wood floor/ cream walls/ lots of windows/ nice wood furniture combination. Part of why I've been loath to paint sozlet's room is that it positively glows for most of the day (cream paint, lots of windows, tons of light).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:45 am
Wow! What a great room, ul!

Thanks for sharing.

What I wouldn't give for all of that bookshelf space. I just got rid of about half of my books because I ran out of space. Books make a place feel homey to me immediately. When I walk into someone's house and there are books about I know I'll like the person.

Your house does have architectural interest. All my color makes up for the lack of an otherwise uninteresting space.

I love all the light you get from those windows.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:55 am
I am living in house that was built 1904.
The ceilings are more than 3 meters high.
This livingroom has 4 windows and 4 doors. It is large, roughly 50 square meters, but difficult to furnish ( is this the right word?).
Books- sigh- we love to read- no room here without shelves and I do need more.
0 Replies