PAINTED BLACK--CONSERVATIVE MEDIA KING INDICTED

hamburger

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:08 pm
his lordship was being interviewed plenty; reporters gave him a good platform ...
he was at his napoleonic best (as one reporter said : "like napoleon, he is at his best when fighting on more than one front" - he'll probably have some of these scoundrels for b'fast, lunch and dinner - prepared by his wife , barbara amiel, personally).
wouldn't have taken much more and steam would have been coming out of his ears - what a performer !!! hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:33 pm
It's really quite marvellous how the media could find him at the book launch last night to take photos - but his lawyer couldn't find him when it was time to go to Chicago.

ptoooooooooey
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:33 pm
windy city ? no thanks, not right now, much nicer in the spring !
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:52 am
Quote:
Black plays Canadian card to ease possible jail term

Edward Helmore in New York
Sunday November 27, 2005
The Observer
Four years ago Conrad Black renounced his Canadian citizenship as 'an impediment to his progress in a more amenable jurisdiction' - the United Kingdom. Now the beleaguered former newspaper tycoon is desperate to ditch his British citizenship for rather the same reasons.
Then it was to take up a seat in the House of Lords, which was being blocked by the Canadian Prime Minister, Jean Chretien. Now Black, facing trial in the United States on charges of defrauding the Hollinger newspaper group of more than $50 million, wants his old citizenship back. His former countrymen assume it is so that, if he is convicted, he can serve his time more pleasantly in a Canadian jail.

Canadian authorities have not said if Black is eligible for repatriation. Neither is it clear that the Canadian government will make an effort to accept him back, saying it was up to the case officer assigned to process his application.

Greg Scott, a spokesman for the Citizenship and Immigration Department, quoted in the Edmonton Sun, said people who have renounced their citizenship can apply for 'resumption'. But they must stand in line with other would-be immigrants, and criminal charges can scuttle the process.
more
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:10 am
Yup - that's what Set and I were posting about on Friday.
It's still making me angry.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:23 am
I am just guessing here, but I tend to think that the idea of granting your Canadian citizenship after you give it up was made mainly for women who married men from other countries, and after the divorce wanted to come back home.

I would think a case of giving it up because you wanted to become a Lord in a different country would not be met so sympathetically.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:52 am
His lordship of Crossedwires will need to make sure that he donates generously to assure the success of his petition . . . but he has a problem there--the liberals have the largest parliamentary contingent, but not a majority. The Tories certainly would love to love him, but they'd have to drag the BQ with them (ouf . . . ca pue . . . ) and the New Democrats.

Good Luck, Lord Black of Crosstownbus, yer gonna need it . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:50 pm
here is hoping that set will be generous enough to buy a pencil (or two ?) from his lordship when he sets up a stand in front of the toronto stock exchange.
"brother can you spare a dime?" - make it an american dime, will ya ?
hbg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:02 pm
These days, though, that American dime is only worth eleven and a half cents Canajun, he's gonna need to sell a lot of pencils . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:38 pm
keep buying, set, keep buying ! hbg
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:12 pm
I remember the press rancour when Black renounced his citizenship, but never bothered to review the case until now. Thought others might be interested, too:

Black v. Chretien and the Attorney General of Canada

I'll be following his efforts to resume Canadian citizenship with interest.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:46 am
Arraignment held over until thursday.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:07 am
By popular demand?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:52 am
I wonder if Conrad might end up in the same seats made sacred by Jerry Rubin?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:22 am
It sure would be cool if they chained him into his seat.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:09 pm
i wonder if conrad black will appear in court dressed as Cardinal Richelieui ? should give him protection by the catholic church, shouldn't it ?
(tried to find a picture of him from the costume ball - no luck). hbg
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:33 pm
His heart is named Black.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 05:40 am
There was a good piece in the G and M yesterday on Black's lawyer for this venue. He sounds a very interesting fellow indeed. We are going to have to get joefromchicago doing some courtroom reporting for us.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 06:30 am
No bail revocation for Lord Black of Crossharbour.

Quote:
A U.S. judge has turned down a request to revoke the $20-million-US bond of Conrad Black, the Canadian-born media baron charged with misappropriating millions of dollars from Hollinger International.

District Judge Amy St. Eve handed down the ruling in a Chicago courtroom on Monday, deciding not to revoke the bond and send Black to jail.

St. Eve said she would decide at a later date whether to increase the bond for Black, the former head of the Hollinger media empire that controlled more than 60 per cent of Canadian newspaper titles in the 1990s as well as hundreds of dailies in the United States, England, Australia and Israel.

Trial's set for March 2007.

cbc link
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:18 am
thanks for update, joeb
0 Replies