PAINTED BLACK--CONSERVATIVE MEDIA KING INDICTED

goodfielder

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 02:04 am
Hah - he needs a new title - Lord Black of Crosshairs - he's been targeted.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 02:15 am
....or Lord Ellpus!

Wait a mo, that one's taken.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 03:12 am
Lord E I know you're a fair man, you'll wait until he's convicted before driving him out of the House of Lords with a whip. But when you do, can you please videotape it?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 04:19 am
Anyone who is found to bring dishonour upon the house, is rendered trouserless and forcefully positioned over the woolsack. The blaggard is then rodgered mercilessly by Peers who are that way inclined.

......As I am loathe to queue, I usually make a point of getting there very early in the morning, or make do with some photographs of the event.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 04:29 am
Conducted, no doubt Lord E, by the Peers of the Ream Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:10 am
The level of the humor here has reached almost as low as Conrad's scruples . . . but not quite . . .
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:14 am
Setanta wrote:
The level of the humor here has reached almost as low as Conrad's scruples . . . but not quite . . .

Which begs the question. How low do his scruples go?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:24 am
I suspect that Mr. Fitzgerald hopes to plumb those depths . . .
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:54 am
Sentanta
Setanta wrote:
I suspect that Mr. Fitzgerald hopes to plumb those depths . . .

Are Nixon's plumbers still available for assignment?

BBB
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 12:23 pm
the question of whether black would be expelled from the HOL if found guilty of an offence was posed earlier this week on CBC. apparently, lords are usually not asked to resign but may prefer not to show their face in the HOL. the commentator claimed that jeffrey archer (sp?) was not asked to resign after his misdeeds, but he apparently no longer makes an appearance in the HOL. so conrad may indeed may continue to wear his ermine robe - should come in handy in one of the federal instituions to keep him warm and entertain fellow attendees. hbg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 07:21 am
Found this piece via a link from Eric Alterman's MSNBC blog. The link was labelled "Schadenfreude, thou are sweet"

Quote:
Black's court date delayed for lawyer search

November 23, 2005

BY ERIC HERMAN Business Reporter Advertisement

Conrad Black -- who once controlled the company that owns the Chicago Sun-Times -- skipped his arraignment on criminal charges Tuesday, but plans to show up in court a week from today.

Prosecutors had not known if Black, a British citizen living in Canada, would fight the U.S. government's attempt to try him. But on Monday night they received a phone call from Black's Canadian lawyer telling them the former media mogul needed more time to select his U.S. legal team.

"Mr. Black does intend to appear before this court. He has asked for a short adjournment so his [legal] representation issues could be finalized," Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Kent said.

Kent told Judge Amy St. Eve the call came from Edward Greenspan, a Canadian lawyer advising Black. Greenspan and prosecutors tentatively agreed Black would appear Nov. 30, Kent said.

Black has also been getting advice from Williams & Connolly, a Washington, D.C., law firm known for criminal defense work. Last month, Williams & Connolly partner Gregory Craig filed a motion attacking the government's seizure of $9 million from Black, proceeds from selling his Manhattan apartment.

D.C. firm seeks 'exorbitant' fees

But sources close to the case said Williams & Connolly demanded a multimillion-dollar payment in advance of trial, and that Black had refused. One source called the sum "exorbitant." Craig, Greenspan and spokesmen for Black did not return calls seeking comment.

Black's apparent falling-out with Williams & Connolly and Craig's filing raise the question of whether Black has enough cash to fund a first-rate defense.

"Mr. Black sold his apartment in New York to compensate counsel," Craig wrote.

Black claims to have already racked up $6.8 million in legal fees from Williams & Connolly, according to a securities filing by Hollinger International, the company that owns the Sun-Times. Black wants Hollinger to pay the fees and has sued to collect. That case is pending.

Last week, prosecutors charged Black, 61, with stealing tens of millions of dollars from Hollinger International. If convicted on all counts of mail and wire fraud, he could face 40 years in prison. Greenspan said last week that Black asserted his innocence.

Lawyers said Tuesday that Black was smart to agree to face the U.S. charges because extradition would have been a tough fight to win.

Hearing next Wednesday

"If they have to arrest him in Canada and extradite him and bring him here, what he's risking is the likelihood he doesn't get bond," said Robert Loeb, a criminal defense lawyer in Chicago.

U.S. attorney's office spokesman Randall Samborn said delays of the kind granted Black were "not at all uncommon." Kent said the office would execute arrest warrants if Black and other defendants refused to appear.

Also Tuesday, lawyer Robert Tarun entered a not guilty plea on behalf of Ravelston Corp., a company once controlled by Black. Defendants Peter Atkinson and John Boultbee, former Black associates, are expected to be arraigned Nov. 30. Another defendant, former Hollinger International lawyer Mark Kipnis, will be arraigned Tuesday.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 07:45 am
Mr. Mountie is on the case now . . . it ain't looking good for Lord Black of Crosspurposes . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:05 am
Did you see that Mulroney has now sued Peter N. too?

On this Thanksgiving Day, let us note in thankful passing that Michael Jackson, Tonya Harding, Conrad and Babs Black, and Brian Mulroney are not the same person as me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:09 am
Amen . . . in a nonreligious sort of way . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:45 am
Ehmen.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:30 am
Or as Boom says, Ahem . . .

Eh? man . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 12:56 pm
statement issued by the RCMP :
" ...we stand on guard for thee... "

ridin' to the rescue ...

http://www.ocanadagear.com/graphics/stuffed-beaver-rcmp.jpg
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 03:08 pm
If they can extradite a bloke in Vancouver for exporting dope seed to the US then Black has to be a doddle.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:12 pm
Just heard on the CBC that Conrad is asking Ottawa to re-instate his Canajun citizenship. After all, what good is it to be Lord Black of Crosswordpuzzles if it won't help prevent your extradition.

I couldn't find a news article to link, but i'll post one as soon as i find one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:48 pm
It was in the subway paper this morning.
I just about spit.
I have to find out who I can call to say "I'm not voting for you if your party does ANYTHING to help Conrad Black stay in Canada".
0 Replies