Pat Robertson Again! Gosh You Can't Make This Stuff Up!

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:05 am
Got an investment tip for ya'll. I was watching the 700 Club and they was telling the sad, sad story of little Missy who had a website business selling knit hats but wasn't attracting any traffic. She was broke and disgusted.

Well, the nice voiced lady from the 700 Club explained, one day this sweet thing was watching the 700 Club and heard the call for tithing to the ministry. So she sent $20.00. She did. She was broke but she sent it anyway. And, wouldn't you know it, in the next ten minutes someone placed an order on the website for TWENTY dollars of knit hats.
Now I know what you are thinking, you Harvard Business School numbers crunchers, one dollar out for one dollar in doesn't feed the bulldog. No, it does not.

So there's more. So she upped her contribution to forty, yes, forty dollars and within a few hours over a hundred dollars in orders came in. Then, the excited young man came on to explain, Missy was watching when they had one of our dollar for dollar match challenges and she knew what she had to do. She up and made a pledge, a monthly pledge, of one hundred dollars. It was just like giving two hundred dollars, Missy said, because she knew it was going to be matched. Imagine, the young man said, the feeling of going from barely being able to give twenty dollars to the intense joy of delivering unto the ministry the sum of two hundred dollars a month.!! O yes.

So what's the investment return? Well, Missy's website is brimming with traffic and orders and her business now pays all her expenses and more, the result, and I am quoting here, of "God's promise. That what you sow, you shall reap. Send the money in and you'll get riches back from God.

All this time I have been researching whether to invest in LEDs or buy more Starbucks or Coach, what a dope.

Joe(I hope they put the address on the screen again.)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:15 am
kelticwizard wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:
Kansas is having a rough time, isn't it?

First the BTK killer, now Intelligent Design in the schools. Just keeps getting worse and worse for the heartland. Crying or Very sad

Ticomaya wrote:

No. I believed KW was making a stupid point saying Kansas is having a rough time, then tying BTK with the School Board issue. It was particularly inane considering the only recent BTK happenings was his arrest, plea, and sentencing.

Oh, those are the ONLY recent BTK happenings? Rolling Eyes

The identity of the killer was not dug up by some detective on a Cold Case TV episode. Rather, the killer decided to become active in the press again. This led to the belief, for a time, that he was going to become active murdering people again. The community had to relive the fear of BTK's murdering spree. Hardly a pleasant thought.

BTK's apprehension and conviction was of course welcome, but the process re-opened all the wounds of the past. Victims of an attack are glad to see their attackers convicted, nevertheless the trial is a painful process for them. So too, did this process dig up all the horror of BTK's heyday. Sure, Kansans will take the result. But it was hardly a pleasant experience!

Moreover, Kansas' reputation as an idyllic place-remember the oft-used expression, "You're not in Kansas anymore", when life's nasty side reveals itself-took a hit. Kansas became famous not for an idealized, safe life, but as the breeding ground for a genuine, homegrown sadistic killer.

Similarly, the school board issue made things rough for Kansas since it made the state, once more, the laughingstock of the advanced world.

So yes, I meant it that the reputation of Kansas has had a rough time lately. What a pair of issues to be in the spotlight for-home turf for a vicious killer and the implementation of Intelligent Design in your school curriculum. Crying or Very sad

Does that clear it all up for you?

Partly. What do you mean by, "... made the state, once more, the laughingstock of the advanced world." I understand your point about the State School Board, but what do you mean by "once more"?

Do you think the BTK killer made Kansas a laughingstock?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:15 am
kelticwizard wrote:
dlowan wrote:
"Active in the press"?

???????????

BTK sent a letter to a newspaper long after his last known victim was murdered and he had been forgotten by the public. He revived interest in hmself.

Quote:
On March 19, 2004, over 30 years after the first murder, the Wichita Eagle received a strange letter. Postmarked March 17, 2004, the letter with a return address of Bill Thomas Killman (i.e. BTK), contained startling evidence. Inside the envelope was a copy of Vicki Wegerle's driver's license and three photograph copies of her body.

Source.

A local lawyer started writing a book about BTK. He send correspondence to a local TV station and newspaper, including what KW mentioned, and eventually sent a floppy disk that was the clue the police needed to arrest Dennis Rader.
0 Replies

bluesgirl

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:23 am
Halftime score:

Texas 56 Kansas 0

Kansas = laughingstock Smile
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:59 am
bluesgirl wrote:
Halftime score:

Texas 56 Kansas 0

Kansas = laughingstock Smile

Ahem ... it is basketball season now, isn't it?

Laughing
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:35 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

A local lawyer started writing a book about BTK. He send correspondence to a local TV station and newspaper, including what KW mentioned, and eventually sent a floppy disk that was the clue the police needed to arrest Dennis Rader.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew that Rader, (BTK), had gotten back into the newspapers some time before being apprehended, raising fears he would strike again. I didn't know the exact details of how he got back into the papers.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:42 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

What do you mean by, "... made the state, once more, the laughingstock of the advanced world." I understand your point about the State School Board, but what do you mean by "once more"?

Do you think the BTK killer made Kansas a laughingstock?

No. I was referring to the first time a couple of years ago when the Kansas School Board instituted Intelligent Design, making the state a laughingstock back then. A new school board was elected and Intelligent Design was dropped. Now a newer version of the School Board has re-instituted Intelligent Design, so the state once again becomes a laughingstock.

This latest version of the curriculum, if anything, is even worse than the first, because in addition to the Intelligent Design part it also states that science can be based on things other than observable phenomena.

It looks like they are paving the way for religion and science to become intertwined all the way down the line, not just on matters of human origins, etc.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:55 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I knew that Rader, (BTK), had gotten back into the newspapers some time before being apprehended, raising fears he would strike again. I didn't know the exact details of how he got back into the papers.

I meant to clarify, but I think I confused things. I intended to say the attorney had been in the news for writing the book about BTK, and that prompted BTK to coorespond with the media, and eventually be caught.

I think you're right that some were concerned BTK would strike again, but since he was probably in his 60s, most had figured he'd just be in the media and not actively killing.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:56 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
No. I was referring to the first time a couple of years ago when the Kansas School Board instituted Intelligent Design, making the state a laughingstock back then. A new school board was elected and Intelligent Design was dropped. Now a newer version of the School Board has re-instituted Intelligent Design, so the state once again becomes a laughingstock.

Ah ... okay, thanks.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
kelticwizard,

Actually, Dennis Rader sent another letter to the newspapers. I guess he just couldn't stand the fact that he had all but been forgotten.

What a foolish man (IMO). He could have gotten away with it scott free but because of his ego he got caught.

Oh well, what goes around comes around!
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 03:32 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

I meant to clarify, but I think I confused things. I intended to say the attorney had been in the news for writing the book about BTK, and that prompted BTK to coorespond with the media, and eventually be caught.

Ah. Well, the important thing is that Rader had become actively communicating with the media, by whatever means. The stories in the papers were not just some retrospective, with no new developments in the case. Rader had become active again in seeking publicity.

Moving back to the School Board case, it is disturbing that the new school board seeks to play around with the basic concepts of science, something not done before.

USA Today wrote:
The Kansas standards don't overtly promote intelligent design, but they challenge Darwin and change the state's definition of "science," no longer limiting it to a search for natural explanations of phenomena.
Source
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 04:58 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Ah. Well, the important thing is that Rader had become actively communicating with the media, by whatever means. The stories in the papers were not just some retrospective, with no new developments in the case. Rader had become active again in seeking publicity.

Okay, but just so you know, the overwhelming feeling of the Wichitans I know was that the reemergence was a good thing, particularly when it led to his arrest, plea, and sentencing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:01 pm
You got that right, Tico! I lived in Wichita during BTK's reign. He had the entire city paralyzed with fear.

I, for one, am grateful that he had such a big ego and wanted everyone to know how "smart" he was.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:38 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
You got that right, Tico! I lived in Wichita during BTK's reign. He had the entire city paralyzed with fear.

I, for one, am grateful that he had such a big ego and wanted everyone to know how "smart" he was.

I didn't know you were a fellow Wichitan, MA. Were you here when the police released the audio of his call to police after the Nancy Fox murder?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:56 pm
I believe I was Tico. I used to own a bar (yes, I did.) right outside of McConnell Air Force Base. I remember how BTK was the topic for years.

I working at Boeing Military Airplane Company. You were in Wichita too, Tico? Wow!
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:58 pm
Was Jim? Bakker formerly head of the 700 Club?

I vaguely remember that 5,000 or 10,000 meters runner from Kansas being knocked out the race in the Olympics.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 06:00 pm
Jim Bakker was the head of the PTL Club. I don't think he was ever with the 700 Club, but I don't know that for 100%.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 07:18 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I believe I was Tico. I used to own a bar (yes, I did.) right outside of McConnell Air Force Base. I remember how BTK was the topic for years.

I working at Boeing Military Airplane Company. You were in Wichita too, Tico? Wow!

Yep. Been here all my life.

What a coincidence ... I've visited several bars just outside of the AFB.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 07:23 pm
Tico,

Do you remember The Playboy Lounge? It was a 3.2 bar.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 07:32 pm
Momma, YOU used to own a bar called The Playboy Lounge?!?!
0 Replies