Pat Robertson Again! Gosh You Can't Make This Stuff Up!

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:20 pm
littlek wrote:
Unfortunately, it seems that many US christians respect him.

Pity. I don't know if folks from Canada follow this guy or not. We only seem to hear about him in the news.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:22 pm
Intrepid wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Intrepid, you are seeing everything as an attack.

This wasn't.

My point was that nuts like Robertson BELIEVE they know what god wants, and, in my experience, such damaged and primitive egos see in their god the worrying workings of their own minds.

Oddly enough, it wasn't an attack on all christians.

Would you agree that this accurately delineates Robertson's personality?

dlowan,
I did not see this as an attack on Christians. I saw it as a negative comment on God. I do agree with you about Robertson. I have forced myself to look at some of his television broadcasts so that I could form my own opinion. He may call himself a man of God, but I think he is a man of his own dilusions and tries to fit God into his own feeble thoughts.

As long as it is not viewed that all Christians follow in this manner.

Believe me, no god entered into this picture.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:23 pm
Intrepid wrote:
littlek wrote:

Pity. I don't know if folks from Canada follow this guy or not. We only seem to hear about him in the news.

Any figures on how many followers this person has, Little k?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:24 pm
I dunno if I'd call them followers. And I don't have numbers.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:30 pm
Watch out, Pat, God's getting just a little tired of you and your big mouth and your thinking you speak for him. and he's getting ready to put the whammy on Virginia Beach to show you you'd better shut up NOW. Those traffic accidents? The boils and the acne people have been getting? That slightly liberal Democratic government y'all just elected? (God fixed the election, by the way). Those are just the start, to get your notice, before the big stuff happens. It ain't Dover, PA, that's in God's sights, Pat, it's Virginia Beach, VA, and you and the 700 Club. Better repent now, while you still can.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:32 pm
"I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you. This is not a message of hate; this is a message of redemption. But a condition like this will bring about the destruction of your nation. It'll bring about terrorist bombs; it'll bring earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor."
- Pat Robertson, speaking of organizers putting rainbow flags up around Orlando to support sexual diversity, Washington Post, 06-10-98. For the record, Orlando remains undestroyed by meteors.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:34 pm
I really like that "possibly a meteor" part. It was as if he were trying to scare the people, but he thought they might still be unalarmed about the earthquakes and tornadoes, so he thought he'd better toss in a rogue meteor.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:48 pm
Hey ... it could still happen. And won't you feel silly if it does.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:50 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Hey ... it could still happen. And won't you feel silly if it does.

Last time Robertson threatened Florida with hurricanes, they had a drought. It seems God doesn't really have the ear of Robertson.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:10 am
A meteor, by definition, misses.

If it hits, it is a meteorite.

Seems like Pat is having a little trouble tuning into THe Voice of God.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:13 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Kansas is having a rough time, isn't it?

First the BTK killer, now Intelligent Design in the schools. Just keeps getting worse and worse for the heartland. Crying or Very sad

Ticomaya wrote:

No. I believed KW was making a stupid point saying Kansas is having a rough time, then tying BTK with the School Board issue. It was particularly inane considering the only recent BTK happenings was his arrest, plea, and sentencing.

Oh, those are the ONLY recent BTK happenings? Rolling Eyes

The identity of the killer was not dug up by some detective on a Cold Case TV episode. Rather, the killer decided to become active in the press again. This led to the belief, for a time, that he was going to become active murdering people again. The community had to relive the fear of BTK's murdering spree. Hardly a pleasant thought.

BTK's apprehension and conviction was of course welcome, but the process re-opened all the wounds of the past. Victims of an attack are glad to see their attackers convicted, nevertheless the trial is a painful process for them. So too, did this process dig up all the horror of BTK's heyday. Sure, Kansans will take the result. But it was hardly a pleasant experience!

Moreover, Kansas' reputation as an idyllic place-remember the oft-used expression, "You're not in Kansas anymore", when life's nasty side reveals itself-took a hit. Kansas became famous not for an idealized, safe life, but as the breeding ground for a genuine, homegrown sadistic killer.

Similarly, the school board issue made things rough for Kansas since it made the state, once more, the laughingstock of the advanced world.

So yes, I meant it that the reputation of Kansas has had a rough time lately. What a pair of issues to be in the spotlight for-home turf for a vicious killer and the implementation of Intelligent Design in your school curriculum. Crying or Very sad

Does that clear it all up for you?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:22 am
"Active in the press"?

???????????
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:23 am
Ticomaya wrote:
.....tying BTK with the School Board....

Certainly an apt coupling.

One kills people. The other tries to kill science.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:35 am
dlowan wrote:
"Active in the press"?

???????????

BTK sent a letter to a newspaper long after his last known victim was murdered and he had been forgotten by the public. He revived interest in hmself.

Quote:
On March 19, 2004, over 30 years after the first murder, the Wichita Eagle received a strange letter. Postmarked March 17, 2004, the letter with a return address of Bill Thomas Killman (i.e. BTK), contained startling evidence. Inside the envelope was a copy of Vicki Wegerle's driver's license and three photograph copies of her body.

Source.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:56 am
Aaargghhh...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 08:34 am
Quote:
"Founded in 1960, CBN was the first Christian television network established in the United States. Today CBN is one of the world's largest television ministries and produces programming seen in 180 nations and heard in 71 languages including Russian, Arabic, Spanish, French and Chinese. CBN's flagship program, The 700 Club, which Mr. Robertson hosts, is one of the longest running religious television shows and reaches an average of one million American viewers daily....

"Robertson is past president of the prestigious Council on National Policy. In 1982 he served on President Ronald Reagan's Task Force on Victims of Crime. He is currently a member of the Board of the Virginia Economic Development Partnership, and previously served on the Governor's Council of Economic Advisors in the State of Virginia."

In 1988 Pat Robertson ran for President in the Republican Primaries and beat sitting Vice President George Bush Sr. in the Iowa Republican caucuses. [3] (http://www.theocracywatch.org/taking_over.htm)
"

Lots more here... http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Pat_Robertson
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:05 am
Will this kindergarden class please come to order.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:35 am
dlowan wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
littlek wrote:

Any figures on how many followers this person has, Little k?

Here's a list of awards and recognitions Pat Robertson has received (man of the year, humanitarian of the year, top 100 cultural elite!) pat robertson

He's founder of the Christian Coalition, the Regent University, the Christian Broadcast Network and more.

Haven't found numbers yet.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:48 am
He, said after his run for president (1988) that hundreds of thousands of americans share his goals

He devised a plan after he failed to gain the presidential seat.

The 700 Club, his show, has more regular viewers than CNN. Here's a bit from an article at the The Guardian Unlimited.

Quote:
The 700 Club has been operating under the radar of traditional journalistic scrutiny for over two decades. Anchored by Pat Robertson, he initially created it as a vehicle to promote his personal political ambitions. After his failed presidential bid in 1988, Robertson founded the Christian Coalition and embarked on an ambitious plan to influence the mainstream political agenda from the inside out.

He used The 700 Club as the marketing and political advocacy tool of this plan. The broadcast's focus is instructing viewers on how they could best lobby elected officials to enact the Christian right's agenda.

Quote:
Goal number one was to take over Congress, and Robertson can honestly take credit for the Republican revolution of 1994. Of the 52 freshman Republican congressman, who ended four decades of Democratic rule that year, 44 owed their election to the Christian coalition which endorsed them on The 700 Club.

Goal number two was the presidency. George Bush made it to the White House and is there today, because of the lockstep support of The 700 Club's faithful, who make up the bedrock of the "values voter".

Goal number three is yet to be achieved: taking over the legislature.

Quote:
Up to now arcane Senate rules have impeded the appointment of jurists friendly to the Robertson agenda. So Robertson is using his television pulpit to change them.

all quotes from this page: The Guardian Unlimited
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:01 am
One more from The Register-Guard

Quote:
He claims his "700 Club" broadcast reaches an average of 1 million American viewers daily. He also is the founder and former president of the Christian Coalition, which has anywhere from 400,000 to 2 million members in 30 state chapters, depending on who's counting. In addition, he created the Christian Broadcasting Network, the American Center for Law and Justice and Regent University, which awards graduate and law degrees. Robertson's organizations are capable of raising millions of dollars every year.
0 Replies