sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:25 pm
5 hours and 48 minutes of fun fun fun!

Heh.

We'll see.

The CD player I bought for her and she promptly dropped is now working again, not sure how temporarily. We're borrowing a DVD player from a friend. We'll sing a lot of Christmas songs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:27 pm
And yes, well aware of road conditions, have been since yesterday (in terms of forecasts). (Sorry, have been hearing that from every quarter. We don't plan to leave until noon or so, and the snow is pretty much over in Chicago and supposed to be over here by 6AM, plenty of time for roads to be in shape.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:29 pm
The coverage of the accident at Midway is still showing snow falling.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 07:35 am
I didn't quite mean out and out jubliation at other children being sick--just enormous relief that the microbe involved was generally inconvenient and not a personal attack on my sanity.

The snow just zipped through the Poconos--about 10". Our furnace is out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:29 am
Fer sure, Noddy.

Oh no about the furnace! (And also "not again".) Be well.

(Weather alerts for Chicago and Columbus were that the snow would stop at about midnight CST and 6AM EST, respectively, hence "pretty much". Looks good now.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:10 am
It's sunny, bright, mid-20s and lovely. Mr B is out shoveling and enjoying every minute of it. The roads will be fine by afternoon, most are fine now. Come on over!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:12 am
:-D
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:17 pm
hi soz : sorry to hear that things are a little out of whack .
is there any possibility of a psysical condition that might cause the barfing ? some people suffer from what i think is called "motility" problem . if the esophagus (sp?) is not working properly (muscle weakness/spasm) , i understand "barfing" could be one of the reults .
hope things will be better soon !!! all the best . hbg

ps. i'm not sure i should do this - but do it anyway : there is lots of stuff listed in google under : esophagus (if i spelled it right).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
Hmm. Will ask her doc. She doesn't barf constantly/ consistently, at all, it's just a frequent symptom when she's sick. (This latest episode seems to be directly attributable to whatever felled her other 3 classmates on the same day with the same symptoms.)

Got through Chicago trip with no health disasters! Whew!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 05:36 pm
"Got through Chicago trip with no health disasters! Whew! "

anyone who can go through a chicago trip without much of a problem must be in pretty good health !

(soz : i don't want to pretend that i know what is ailing your sozlet occasionally . it's probably something she'll grow out of . i was thinking back to all the ailments ehbeth had when she was about that age !!! she survived after all ! i hope you don't mind my comments).

all the best ! hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:44 am
Post nasal drip can trigger vomiting. So can infected tonsils.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:02 pm
Just went for the follow up at the ENT -- her ears are fine!! Whew. That's very good news, as we were at a very different place this time last year.

Her congestion cleared up completely when we were in Chicago (we arrived on Friday, she blew her nose one last time on Monday, we left on Tuesday, nothing since [knock on wood]), and the nurse (we didn't see the actual ENT, which was OK) said that while there isn't any congestion, sozlet's nose is a bit inflamed and looks kind of allergic. At this point it seems likely that she has some kind of minor allergies, quite possibly to the Ohio air. We have a sort of a resident canary in E.G. for the most typical allergies -- if the house were moldier or dustier or whatever than our house in Naperville, we would know because he'd have a reaction to it.

The nurse also said that sozlet has "big" tonsils -- evidently this might be something, but is probably nothing. She (nurse) asked if sozlet complains of a sore throat (no), sleeps well (yes), snores (no/ only when her nose is stuffed up) and seemed to think that was not a problem, then.

I asked about allergy testing, the nurse didn't seem to think it was necessary/ called for since sozlet is really doing just fine right now. She suggested we keep Nasonex on hand and use it if things get more stuffy/ inflamed.

Because of the tonsils and general possible allergy situation, we're going back in a few months to see where things stand then.

Tubes seem to be (for now, anyway) completely out of the picture, though. (Yay!) The nurse said that sozlet's eardrums look very good, no problems. As of now, her eardrums have undergone the same amount of punishment as if we'd gotten tubes when they were first suggested -- one perforation each since then, but just one. And the tubes would've been big and long-term as opposed to small and fast-healing.

We'll see. What I'm certain of is that I am in an infinitely better place mental-health and internal-resources -wise than I was this time last year; I still don't want anything to happen of course but am a bit less desperate about avoiding it than I was at the beginning of the winter. We had two doozy episodes (the quick and severe ear infections, then one day of bad vomiting + ER visit for IV fluids), but they were both brief. Not the endlessly repeating long, drawn-out horribleness of last year, where I was perpetually in full caretaker mode or trying to catch my breath after being in full caretaker mode.

So, knock on wood, salt over shoulder, hoping for the best.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:49 pm
Big tonsils?

Bigger when infected?

Big enough so infection can spread to the soft palate?

Check out:

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/zm2769.asp

The flap of the soft palate when swollen and infected can tickle the back of the throat and stimulate vomiting--also interfere with breathing and all sorts of yuk-making complications.

Back in the '40's my soft palate was clipped when my tonsils were removed. This procedure made vomiting much less frequent.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:55 pm
It's the first I've heard of it (the "big" tonsils), and she's had her throat checked every time we've had one of these visits (including during ear infections). But worth checking out.

This year, her only vomiting episodes were the one short one (a few hours) when she had an ear infection and the long one (all day) when several members of her class were also felled at the same time (as in, likely external cause). Last year it was much more frequent.

By the way we also got and filled a prescription for an anti-emetic plus sedative (suppository form) to have on hand in case this comes up again. (So to speak.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:52 pm
Soz--

May you be over-prepared with unnecessary meds.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:22 pm
Glad to hear the good news, Soz. Each year should get a little easier as she grows into those Eustachian tubes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:25 pm
Thanks Noddy!

My thinking exactly, Swimp. (How ya been?)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:30 pm
I've been good. Not a lot of time to post, but I try to keep up with all of my A2K friends. I miss you guys if I don't.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:25 am
Miss you too, Swimpy (even though you poke your head in now and then... would like to see a lot MORE of you...!)

So, now it's time to figure out if there is anything significant about an ~36-day interval. :-? Sozlet started back at preschool on Wednesday the 4th, and has been a teeny bit off since last Tuesday (the 10th); she woke up that day feeling shaky and not looking so good, but she got over it. Yesterday was a gorgeous day and we spent most of it outside, and wound up with a little performance nearby -- it was very cramped, lots of people in a small space, and she started looking not-good about halfway through and I got her out of there. We rested for a while, then walked home (a couple of blocks), and by the time we were home she looked AWFUL. She had several vague complaints, most centering on something being wrong with her leg. Gave her some Motrin. She perked up considerably. I said to E.G. before putting her to bed, "The way she looked when we came home I thought for sure we were on the edge of something, but she seems fine now."

Then, in the middle of the night (turned out to be about 3:00 AM), I felt a disturbance in the force and I got up to check on her, which I never do. (E.G., who was slumbering peacefully, is the ears in this family -- he wakes up at the slightest sound -- and I always wake her up when I check on her so if things are a bit iffy I try NOT to check on her since sleep is important.)

Terribly sad sight. She was laying there crying, with vomit everywhere (especially a big glop in her hair), and too tired to move or, evidently, cry louder to get E.G.'s attention. Burning up.

I immediately got the covers off of her, pajamas off, and started cleaning her up. By the time I took her temperature it was 102 -- not great, not scary-high.

Usual litany followed, gave her some ibuprofren (suppository form), more vomiting, etc. E.G. was given the task of reading the insert that came with the anti-emetic we'd gotten, and the potential side effects bothered him. We decided to wait and see. After a few starts and stops (maybe 8 discrete barfing episodes total, less each time), she fell into a deep sleep, and slept for a long time. (I sat with my back against her bed so I could feel any movement for most of that time, but got some sleep when the sun came up and I could see her better.)

She's now doing mostly OK, set up in the family room (on a lot of washable blankets) and watching TV. We'll see.

Anyway, the ~36-day thing; first episode was October 31st (fast-moving ear infection), second was December 6th (vomiting all day, ER for IV fluids), third was January 12th (though started being not-so-great on the 10th).

I'm fervently hoping that this will follow the pattern in being brief, though it would be nice if it's not as intense/ severe as the other episodes.

Her ears don't seem to be part of the equation -- she wasn't stuffy beforehand (she's been mostly clear since Chicago), and no complaints of pain or the ear-grabbing she does.

We'll see.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:28 am
(Hasn't barfed again since the last one since she fell asleep, probably about 4:30 AM. Had a dicey moment when she woke up for the day, had to talk her out of it/ distract her with a story made up on the spot about ninja horses with really sharp hooves. That's not the best sign, usually if she's completely over it she wakes up hungry and it's just a matter of getting her the right food.)
0 Replies