Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:32 am
Ain't you got an appointment to keep, you darn girl?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:36 am
Shocked

<almost time to head over>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:37 am
(That was confusing..!)

She's resting, yep. Woke up too early, had several sips spread out over a long while (poor girl wanted so badly to just gulp, could see the effort she put into keeping it at a sip, had to take it away from her a few times mid-swallow), was obviously tired, fell back asleep on the couch, sleeping now.

I'm mentally resting -- futzing around on A2K -- got enough sleep I think, will go to bed early tonight.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:50 am
Just found out that sozlet's best friend woke up barfing yesterday morning, too, so maybe it's a virus after all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 11:51 am
... or a snack they had at preschool on Monday.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 02:40 pm
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about last night, Soz. Spending the night in the ER is never fun.

I hope today and tonight are easier on both of you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:15 pm
I was thinking about this on the ride home <couldn't read so had to think> - in particular, I was thinking about the fluids thing. Have you got lots of mini-popsicles on hand so sozlet can take in fluid in lil bits?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:19 pm
Sometimes life is one damn thing after another.

Once upon a time you used to be able to buy ice cube trays which made very thin ice cubes--50 slots to each side of the tray.

The thin ice cubes gave a sick child a chance to relish the melt with a constant, cooling trickle of moisture dripping down the throat.

Of course you can also crack ice or chip ice--some food processors can do this--and create your own ice for small ice cones. The cold of the ice discourages gulping.

Also the escaping carbon dioxide is supposed to be helpful in some way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:24 pm
She's been taking fluid in in little bits. We have popsicles that were administered by the lick yesterday, but absolutely ANYTHING would set her off.

Always been the story with her.

When we talked to the pediatrician on the phone last night, she said oh, you guys need "__________" (E.G. was the one on the phone and can't remember.) It's some prescription medication that settles the stomach and makes them sleepy, sort of like Benadryl. So we plan to get that and have it on hand for the future.

Good news is that she got lots of sleep, quite peppy when she woke up the second time, peed a fair amount and a good color (sorry again for graphic nature), and has gradually worked her way up to chicken broth, which she is enjoying a great deal.

Why couldn't you read? Hope your own health is good.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:53 pm
EhBeth is a woman of great talent, but reading and driving are incompatible activities.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 03:55 pm
Heh...!

I had the impression (bolstered by "ride" as opposed to "drive") that she took some sort of or combination of public transportation home, but I'm not certain.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:06 pm
hehehe

It's all sorta related.
I was at the opthamologist this afternoon.
Cheryl once again talked me out of getting bifocals because I've got one eye good for distance, and one eye good for close-up. She suggested I could watch the road with one eye, and read maps with the other.

Shocked

I couldn't read because of all of the happy pupil-dilating drops that were put in. Cheryl was entertained that the drops made the whites of my eyes the same colour as my livestrong bracelet and brilliant yellow top.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:13 pm
Oh my!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 09:01 am
Just found out that the super-sensitive-tummy thing is her genetic gift from E.G. He talked to his mom last night and she said that he was the only one of her four kids with that problem -- her other three kids could be managed with ice chips and other techniques, but there was just no stopping him. She also eventually found a prescription medication to use, that helped. Looks like the one we want is Zofran -- plan on getting that to have on hand.

Meanwhile, my gift is the tiny arm veins -- they just couldn't start an IV in her arm, had to go to her hand, and I've had the same problem my whole life. (Very difficult to find a vein to draw blood or start an IV.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 09:38 pm
And now just found out (seems to be a common sentence starter on this thread) that another kid from her preschool (who was also at a party last Saturday with sozlet and BF) was out on Wednesday due to vomiting all day Tuesday. I'm thinking either bad snack on Monday or virus exposure on Saturday.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:04 pm
Sozobe--

I remember being delighted to hear that other people's children were also barfing. Motherhood doesn't confer sainthood.

Will the snow complicate your weekend? I'll keep my fingers crossed.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:09 pm
Sorry to hear about the sozlet's barf train. I'm glad she's better now, but I do know how badly that sucks. I hope she's feeling well enough to enjoy your vacation, and to let you enjoy it too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:21 pm
I'm not actually happy that other kids were sick, but it's somehow a little comforting that it seems to have an outside, uncontrollable cause and not that I didn't de-phlegm her effectively enough, or whatever.

She's totally fine now, just in her bored, bouncing off the walls, post-sick phase.

I plan to turn her loose in the snow tomorrow morning before we leave and let her go hog wild. We got about 4 inches so far I think, it's lovely. Supposed to stop by 6AM though, so should be fine by the time we hit the road.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:23 pm
How long is the drive?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 10:24 pm
Given what's been going in Chicago tonight, you might want to take a serious look at the road conditions between you and Chicago.
0 Replies