2000 DEAD

talk72000

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:51 pm
At this rate it comes to roughly 1,000 deaths per year and GWB says the US may be there for 10-12 years which means 10,000 or more dead GIs. Whose children will they be, Republican or Democrat?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:53 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It has nothiong to do with freedom in America. It has to do with the freedom in Iraq.

I disagree that it has anything to do with freedom in Iraq.

Based on your premise, however, would you die to bring freedom to Iraq? And leave your children?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:53 pm
Squeegee wrote:
Saddam is gone...you have been following along, haven't you?

Yes, that is why I used the past tense. If you have nothing to add, please stop interupting.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:55 pm
talk72000 wrote:
At this rate it comes to roughly 1,000 deaths per year and GWB says the US may be there for 10-12 years which means 10,000 or more dead GIs. Whose children will they be, Republican or Democrat?

Just Americans. Seems liberals have to try to drive wedges between people by putting them in categories, even after they are dead. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:57 pm
McGentrix wrote:
If you see 6 kids beating up a handicapped child, do you just sit and watch and wonder why the handicapped kid doesn't try to stop them?

I hope not. You intervene and help those that can't help themselves.

Many of you seem to be under the impression that Iraqi's enjoyed living under the tyranny Saddam provided and that they wanted it that way... The good old days, right?

There are/were worse monsters in the world than Saddam Hussein. Who do you suggest we invade next? Syria? The Sudan? Howabout we stop parents from murdering female babies in China? There's a cause I could get behind. Perhaps we should do some real good and spend that $200 billion on healthcare in Africa.

Your armor is tarnished with your hypocrisy, Sir Knight.
0 Replies

Squeegee

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:57 pm
I thought this was an open forum. Who am I interrupting?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
It has nothiong to do with freedom in America. It has to do with the freedom in Iraq.

Based on your premise, however, would you die to bring freedom to Iraq? And leave your children?

Is it oblivious day on A2K and no one told me?

That is not my premise at all. Many Iraqi's have died. Some people here seem to think that focusing on their deaths being pointless is a way to forward their own agenda. I say that many of those that have died have done so to insure a free life for thier children, their parents, their aunts, uncles, etc.

My premise is that Iraqi's have died for Iraqi freedom. How you come to your conclusion bewilders me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 12:59 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
talk72000 wrote:

Just Americans. Seems liberals have to try to drive wedges between people by putting them in categories, even after they are dead. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Let's calculate all the deaths, then, if you dislike categories. How many would that be, at this point? 150,000? I'm so glad to see America doing such good in the world.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:00 pm
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
If you see 6 kids beating up a handicapped child, do you just sit and watch and wonder why the handicapped kid doesn't try to stop them?

Many of you seem to be under the impression that Iraqi's enjoyed living under the tyranny Saddam provided and that they wanted it that way... The good old days, right?

There are/were worse monsters in the world than Saddam Hussein. Who do you suggest we invade next? Syria? The Sudan? Howabout we stop parents from murdering female babies in China? There's a cause I could get behind. Perhaps we should do some real good and spend that $200 billion on healthcare in Africa.

I didn't realize you were so gung-ho about the military being used. Perhaps you can suggest the next place and I will just concentrate on the conflicts we have now.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:02 pm
McGentrix wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

That is not my premise at all. Many Iraqi's have died. Some people here seem to think that focusing on their deaths being pointless is a way to forward their own agenda. I say that many of those that have died have done so to insure a free life for thier children, their parents, their aunts, uncles, etc.

My premise is that Iraqi's have died for Iraqi freedom. How you come to your conclusion bewilders me.

I think the thread started about American deaths. Then you tried to conflate dying for one's children with dying for freedom in Iraq.

Try again, McG.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:06 pm
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I think the thread started about American deaths. Then you tried to conflate dying for one's children with dying for freedom in Iraq.

Try again, McG.

Then why would you say "Based on your premise, however, would you die to bring freedom to Iraq? And leave your children?"?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:07 pm
DrewDad, why don't you try the novel approach of looking past the "my side right - your side wrong" hangup and focus on the point I was trying to make. Or maybe I failed somehow in making my point understandable.

So I will spell it out. Why ask such a ridiculous thing like whose children they will be? They will be Americans. Some republican, some democrat, some black, some white, some old, some young, etc. All volunteers. All Americans. Why this idiocy of putting labels on them I don't understand.

Or maybe I just don't get the point of the comment. Sometimes nonsensical comments like that just fly right past me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I didn't realize you were so gung-ho about the military being used. Perhaps you can suggest the next place and I will just concentrate on the conflicts we have now.

You used to make more sense, McG. You're the one that proposed a hypothetical situation, and is trying to justify the cost in lives and money of the adventure in Iraq.

OK.

You're the President. You have limited resources, but you want to make the world a better place, and to bring freedom to more people. (You being the one that suggested that this is why being in Iraq is a good thing.) Do you choose invading Iraq as your best option?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:11 pm
McGentrix wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Try again, McG.

Then why would you say "Based on your premise, however, would you die to bring freedom to Iraq? And leave your children?"?

I ask it because you conflated the two issues. You think others, even other Americans, should die to bring freedom to Iraq. If you think the cause is worthy, then hypothetically you should be willing to sacrifice yourself. You aren't though, are you? You think it's pretty cool to bring "freedom to Iraq" so long as someone else sacrifices himself.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:18 pm
CR, my point was that there was an irony in that you wanted to eliminate labels, yet labeled them as Americans. I was trying to point out that they are people, and that more people than just Americans are dying in Iraq.

I think this war is a mistake; I make no bones about it. I can even see the possibility of benefits from the war, I just think the price is too high, and the danger of negative effects too great. But I have no beef with folks who support the war, so long as they have done some soul-searching, and can back their position coherently.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:18 pm
We invaded Iraq for other reasons. we stayed in Iraq to ensure it did not fall into anarchy and to insure a free future for the country. You can differentiate between those two I assume.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:29 pm
DrewDad wrote:
CR, my point was that there was an irony in that you wanted to eliminate labels, yet labeled them as Americans. I was trying to point out that they are people, and that more people than just Americans are dying in Iraq.

I think this war is a mistake; I make no bones about it. I can even see the possibility of benefits from the war, I just think the price is too high, and the danger of negative effects too great. But I have no beef with folks who support the war, so long as they have done some soul-searching, and can back their position coherently.

I stand corrected that of course it is not and has not been just Americans dying. But my response was strictly a reaction to the other post about who will die, republicans or democrats. By that statement it was evident he was talking only of American involvement, which is why my response was worded like it was.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:31 pm
McGentrix wrote:
We invaded Iraq for other reasons. we stayed in Iraq to ensure it did not fall into anarchy and to insure a free future for the country. You can differentiate between those two I assume.
]
I seem to recall quite a bit of anarchy following the invasion. And it doesn't look good for a free Iraq, either. Quite a track record.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:32 pm
CR, certainly my response was a tad strident. My apologies.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:33 pm
No problem Drew. I may have gotten my dander up a bit in responding to your response, and if so, sorry. I should have explained things better.
0 Replies