Texas Traditional Marriage Amendment vote coming up...

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 09:37 pm
Well, there are times I ain't proud to be Texan, or American for that matter. This is one of 'em. Why the supreme court doesn't rule for everybody's civil rights is beyond me.
0 Replies

bluesgirl

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:08 pm
Yes Edgar, it makes us look bad.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:26 pm
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
littlek wrote:
Tico - why are you obssessed with proving that twin peaks has been here under a different name?

I'm not obsessed with it, littlek. I've proved her to be a liar, so I've moved on.

All you have proved is that you have no respect for people's privacy and copyrights. Please delete my copyrighted material immediately.

Thank you.

Yeah, I'll get right on that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:29 pm
J_B wrote:
It really bothers me to see small kids at rallies holding signs that talk about God hating (I can't even bring myself to type it) and Popes in Hell. I'm sure those kids are there because they want to be. Rolling Eyes

littlek, this group says God hates America and is attacking us through natural disasters because we 'allow' gays to live here. Rolling Eyes They are very much against gays.

That's what I thought, but I figured anyone that interested in protecting family values wouldn't have their child carrying a sign with butt-sex on it (as you pointed out). And, geez, the pope is in hell? What's up with that one?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:29 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Wonder if they are the folks from Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka. Fred Phelps and his followers will picket anything, often the funeral of someone who died from AIDS.

Oh my lord. I would go completely balistic if I saw that in person.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:32 pm
That is something to get arrested over.

I can't comprehend what would motivate a humsan being to hurt people at a funeral.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:34 pm
I'd be motivated to hurt people at a funeral if they were protesting.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:38 pm
I think they picketed Matthew Shepard's funeral. Pathetic.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:39 pm
Lash wrote:
I can't comprehend what would motivate a humsan being to hurt people at a funeral.

Fervently held beliefs motivate these people.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:45 pm
It's what the fervent beliefs ARE.

The only belief that compels people to say things like God hates fags or yell hideous statements at the mourners at a funerals is hate.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:46 pm
We all have our own fervent beliefs.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:14 am
I tend to think of Pat Robertson as our Mullah Omar, but maybe it's really Fred Phelps. Robertson has more power than Phelps but the Taliban started small too. Fred bears more watching.

Edgar, as far as I know any case that has gone to the SC of any state has been found in favor of same-sex marriage. This is a States issue and the way around passing laws that get thrown out by the SC is to have a Constitutional Amendment. The SC can only rule on laws as they relate to the Constitution so by putting it into the Constitution via an Amendment they skirt the possibility of it being overturned by the SC. Did I explain that right, Tico?

Texas became the 12th state to pass a Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. The other 11 did so last November.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:42 pm
Lash wrote:
We all have our own fervent beliefs.

To the point of motivation to hurt people at a funeral?

I beg to differ.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:58 pm
Lash wrote:

The only belief that compels people to say things like God hates fags or yell hideous statements at the mourners at a funerals is hate.

No need to beg. Reading would suffice.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 02:48 am
Lash wrote:
Lash wrote:

No need to beg. Reading would suffice.

So, everyone has beliefs on the level of those that believe in hate to the point of motivation to hurt people at a funeral, that is fervent, but not necessarily hate itself? For example, a fervent reactionary belief like that of littlek's?

I'm not convinced by your generalization. I think a minority of people are driven by their beliefs to those points.
0 Replies

bluesgirl

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:29 pm
Although most people have fervent beliefs (not all) very few (Thank God!) harbor the hate that these losers possess.

Maybe he can clarify it, but this sounds like a rationalization on Lash's part.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:35 pm
Infra--

You are attaching something to my statement that isn't there.

You merely said that fervent beliefs are to blame for the hate-filled people at the gay funerals. That is a swipe against religion, IMO.

I am trying to make the point that many people with fervent beliefs--in God--or science--or U2--don't have the desire to yell awful things at funerals.

You blamed it on fevent beliefs-- I think you were wrong.

It's just hate--and that comes in all shapes, sizes, beliefs and races.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:30 pm
Lash wrote:
Infra--

You are attaching something to my statement that isn't there.

You merely said that fervent beliefs are to blame for the hate-filled people at the gay funerals. That is a swipe against religion, IMO.

I am trying to make the point that many people with fervent beliefs--in God--or science--or U2--don't have the desire to yell awful things at funerals.

You blamed it on fevent beliefs-- I think you were wrong.

It's just hate--and that comes in all shapes, sizes, beliefs and races.

OK, I think I'm understanding your position now, Lash.

When I said that fervent beliefs are to blame for the hate-filled people at the gay funerals, I wasn't swiping at religion, per se, I was swiping at religion held to the point of motivation for this kind of behavior. I think littlek's example is one of fervent beliefs that isn't necessarily religious. Or like the example of U2, some people are motivated to stalk band members, or to follow bands around the country while they tour and attend as many concerts as they can. Hatred isn't the only thing that can be fervently held.

What I was saying is that fervor motivates people to go out of their way to do something so unusual that they otherwise probably wouldn't do, and that I don't think too many people, let alone everyone, hold beliefs to that point.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 08:09 pm
Good.

Agreed.
0 Replies