Texas Traditional Marriage Amendment vote coming up...

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:42 am
Found this flyer on my car after the UT/Texas Tech game:

Someone of questionable literacy wrote:
TEXANS

VOTE YOUR VALUES ON

TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE ONLY
(ONE MAN/ONE WOMAN)

NOVEMBER 8TH 2005

THE HOMOSEXUAL GROUPS WANT TO PASS,

THE SAME SEX MARRIAGE IN TEXAS

IF YOU CAN PROVE THAT YOU HAVE LIVED IN TEXAS FOR AT LEAST 30 DAYS
BEFORE THE ELECTION, YOU ARE ALLOWED TO VOTE

THE HOMOSEXUAL ACTIVISTS PLAN TO BUS IN HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE FROM
OTHER STATES A MONTH EARLY, IN ORDER TO VOTE AGAINST

the traditional marriage amendment

OUR WORST ENEMY?IF YOU BLOW THIS OFF AND NOT BOTHER TO VOTE

THE TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE
IS IN DANGER

PROTECT OUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN'S FUTURE

VOTE IN FAVOR OF

THE TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE AMENDMENT

NOVEMBER 8, 2005
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,961 • Replies: 98
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:51 am
Now, I've tried to reproduce the flyer as well as I can. All of the text is centered on the flyer, but I've reproduced punctuation, grammer, capitalization, etc. just as it is on the flyer.

Is it true that "the homosexual groups want to pass, the same sex marriage in Texas?" If so, what is "the same sex marriage?" Will we only be allowed to have one same-sex marriage in the state? Or is it a same sex-marriage? Or is it a replacement for The Yellow Rose of Texas?

Secondly, how do we "protect our children and grandchildren's future?" Do we have to choose between protecting our children and protecting granchildren's future? Who is this grandchildren?

Is there some form of traditional marriage that is not "one man/one woman?" I suppose there is; many cultures have polygamy. But if we have to tell Texans that traditional marriage is "one man/one woman" doesn't that put the question to what "traditional marriage" is?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:03 am
How is the world is the traditional marriage in danger, if gays are permitted to marry? Do Texans think that if gays were permitted lawful marriage, many of their kids and grandkids would be partnering up with folks of the same sex?

If the entire rationale for the poster were not so out of touch with reality, it would be hilarious! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:04 am
I got the same flier on my car at Barton Creek Mall the other day. Hilarious.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:22 am
It's nothing more than fear-mongering, Phoenix. But too many folks respond to fear.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:28 am
BESIDES

the terrible grammer

THAT IS IN THAT ADVERTISEMENT

ment for us texans to read

they have a small point just not worded well at all
( great laugh though!!!! Laughing )

The law they are talking about is , to my understanding , going to do away with alot of small legal loop holes that same sex relationships have fallen into to get certain rights... Like.. insurance for BOTH partners.
Being able to leave each other in their wills, having joint car insurance etc..
Now, i do NOT know all the details and I may be REALLY off the mark with what I have stated.
I remember my friend telling me about this. She has been in a relationship for 4 years and is really going to take a big set back when and if this law passes.
I know she said that they can not insure each other, they can not list each other on life insurance, can not be present or speak for each other during major medical decisions.
I think a better way to word that is.. they can not be ' power of attorney' for the other no matter what.

These simple things will be cut out of the common law outline, and that means that the same sex relationships can not benefit from those little loop holes.

most of these 'loop holes' should be left to the individual , seeing as how they are personal choice.

That is the stand point that the gay community is taking.

Again.. i could be wrong..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:38 am
I find it sad when legislation is used to take away rights and privileges, rather than bestow them.

Gay rights are here to stay; all of this rigamorole is akin to the Alabama governor standing in the school-house door.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:49 am
what is very strange about this law is that even though it is intended to effect gay rights,
it is taking away from heterosexual rights as well.
They are.. ( they being the gov) at this point, trying to f-n hard to get at the gay community that they are taking away basic rights from EVERYONE just so the gay couples dont have a chance.
I think this is hoirrid and completely out of line.

Every human, no matter who they sleep with, has the same rights as the next one. Noone is above or below anyone else .

this law, in my opinion, is just a show of power and an attempt at control in areas that it doesnt belong.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 12:47 pm
Yep.

The equal protection clause will come back to bite 'em in the butt, though. They'll have to do away with marriage for everyone in order to prevent gay marriage.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 12:56 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Do Texans think that if gays were permitted lawful marriage, many of their kids and grandkids would be partnering up with folks of the same sex?

Naw, not all :wink:
Just the 45% that agrue against evolution.

I however, am worried about my marriage. Does this mean that if the homosexuals "win", my marriage will self distruct?

HEY!!!! This is SO COOL, We've got 4 Austinites on this thread....

You know, that 45% number from Edgar thread? Do y'all feel that 45% of the people you know in Austin believe in Creationism?

I sure don't, but then again, I have a real live homosexual couple living RIGHT on my block. Probably more like 4 couples, but I only know about 25% of the people on my block.

Nice weather today, huh?!

Sorry Phoenix, you have to leave. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 01:02 pm
DOWN WITH GAYS! THEY ARE SIMPLY RUINING THE SCANCTITY OF MARRIAGE! Oh wait....that would be the STRAIGHTS.
IMO, we are doing a fine job of screwing up the traditional marriage. Let's let the gays in on the divorce rate and being utterly miserable for life! :wink:

I hate this sh*t. People are so dumb. I wish I lived in Texas so I could throw condoms filled with egg whites at the flyer makers' houses.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 01:03 pm
yes

and funny thing,
the mister and i were talking about IQ status / percentage etc

We looked it up and found about 70% of americans have an iq of 100-120. Wich is low average-middle average. 130 being considered genius

what was funnier,
that same number 70% is ALSO the amount of people in america that claim christianity..

Laughing

so in our sick and twisted minds, we concluded
the non thinkers are christians
and unfortunatly..
they outnumber the thinkers.

hmm.. aint so funny in print.
But oh well..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 01:34 pm
Er...

The only problem with that statistic is that by definition, an IQ of 100 is considered average. It is impossible for more than 50% of the population to have an IQ above 100.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:03 pm
i know.

that is why it wasnt so funny when i tried to relay our wierd thought process...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:56 pm
Maybe it was 80-120. That sounds about right; I think one standard deviation is 13 points.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:59 pm
you have to be kidding???
80? an average?
wow.. that seems a little wierd. but i wont argue that.
it is a possibility.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:09 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Maybe it was 80-120. That sounds about right; I think one standard deviation is 13 points.

80?

Shocked I am on the high end of "normal" so that's good. I think I tested at 121.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:13 pm
100 is exactly average. The range from 80-120 would contain about 70% of the population.

Let me go look up some documentation....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:14 pm
people have had iq's in the 20's and 30's ....
and were NOT mentally retarded
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:17 pm
Yeah, and some people with 140 id you'd swear were....
0 Replies