This is NOT Working Out for Me

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:50 am
I've been taking my antithyroid medicine for 3 weeks now. I have responded very well to it and have been starting to feel better. However, the better I feel, the worse I look! My thyroid has most likely ceased function and the hormones in my body are rapidly being used up. (my dose is being adjusted in a week to slowing start my thyroid back up) I think that this week I've put on at least 3 lbs and have a ton of bloating. I look like a balloon. I've been eating better, trying to avoid high salt foods, fatty snacks and high calorie meals but apparently, no matter what I do, I am gaining weight. I can't start an exercise program yet because of my heart rate. I can do very minimal exercise (walking) and I do but it isn't helping.

I am not really looking for advice but for support. I've never had a problem controlling my weight and for those of you who have been battling it for a while, you know how hard and frustrating this is and how upsetting it can be. I am just having a very depressing day. I bought a new pair of jeans 2 weeks ago and now they are the only ones I can fit into. Crying or Very sad Nothing like having to wear the same pair of pants all week.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,808 • Replies: 63
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:54 am
Geez, I'm sorry bella. That must suck. I know that hormonal weight gain is almost impossible to lose while things are out of wack. How soon do you go in to have your medication adjusted?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:56 am
On the first I go back to the doctor but by then I will probably have gained 10 lbs. I am really unhappy about this. I am feeling better and I know that's what's important but it still sucks.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:59 am
I know it sucks and I wish I had some advice.

Would it help to embrace it? Call it voluptuous? Go shopping? Buy shoes? Get your hair done?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:01 am
It's not voluptuous...its lumpy. I don't carry weight well at all.

I think I might hook up with my MIL and go shopping this week. It's just hard to feel good about feeling better when I just keep gaining weight and not liking what I am seeing in the mirror.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:08 am
are you at least getting bigger boobs from it??
Laughing
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:08 am
Hang in there, Bella. I really do know how you feel and know it sucks.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:10 am
Antidepressants have caused me to gain weight before. But I think it's different for guys.

Keep reminding yourself that it's temporary.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:14 am
DrewDad wrote:

Keep reminding yourself that it's temporary.

That's what I am afraid of, that it ISN'T temporary.

Crying or Very sad

I have a new found respect for people who struggle with this all their lives.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:21 am
Not to crash your party,but you may be right on the money when y ou think it may NOT be temporary.
You have had an over active thyroid for a long time.It has caused your metabolisim to race all of your life instead of settle into a normal pattern.
you may be welcoming a new body here soon.

A natural % of body fat for women ( a HEALTHY % that is ) is 20%
Wich means, a little pooch in the belly, soft round hips, round-er thighs..
We as women are not naturally ment to be bean poles. Ironing board flat bellies are not natural, that is why people have to bust their asses to keep them.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:26 am
You may have to learn some new skills, adjust your diet, etc. but weight can be managed.

The bloating and "lumpiness" are most likely short-term problems that will alleviate when your meds are adjusted.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:32 am
{{{{{{Bella}}}}}}

I know the feeling, Bella. I was model thin throughout high school, put on a few pounds in college, but in general my metabolism was super-charged and I could eat with abandon, which is exactly what I did. One day, at age 40, I looked in the mirror and was shocked to see the person looking back at me. I wasn't fat, but I was bigger than I'd ever been and I didn't like it. For the first time in my life I needed to pay attention to what I was eating. Having never developed good eating habits I was clueless to what to do about it. My metabolism was changing and as I tried to make changes to what I was doing, my body was having a mind of its own. I spent many hours reading, searching, trying, succeeding, failing, trying something else, succeeding, failing.... it seemed to be a never ending battle. The tips I posted for you the other day are a result of being where you are and needing to learn on the fly how to develop different habits.

Your meds are doing to you what aging did to me. Screwing up everything I always knew to be normal. While you're in this adjustment period you can only do what you've started to do, pay attention, try to make changes, try to implement damage-control as best you can, and ride it out - you have no other option, really. Once things stabilize you can get on a recovery program and get back to your normal weight. It will take time and it may mean making changes to what used to be normal eating habits, but it won't be impossible and it won't take forever.

Lots of hugs and support to you, Bella. I know how you feel.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:38 am
" I wasn't fat, but I was bigger than I'd ever been and I didn't like it. "

Yes! This is just how I feel.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:49 am
I have a mental picture of my grandmother. She was a very large woman with significant weight associated health problems. My parents were also both overweight, but not to the extent as my grandmother. One day I was moaning about my weight gain to my neighbor. I described my grandmother as 'a mountain of a woman' and said I was afraid of becoming one as well if I couldn't turn my weight gain around.

The phrase haunted me. "A mountain of a woman", the more I thought about it the larger it loomed. I was becoming A MOUNTAIN OF A WOMAN. It actually started screaming at me. It was the shock I needed to get a grip and make changes. It's when I started weighing daily, eating on a schedule, changing the foods I ate.

Is there a visual you can use to keep you focused?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:49 am
Oh boy do I know how you feel. I gained 30 lbs. when I quit smoking but because I work from home and wear loose clothing, I didn't even notice it until one day it was time to get dressed and I couldn't fit into anything.
Since then, I've dropped most of the weight through excercise but there's a roll of fat around my waist that seems impossible to move. It's not exactly new, that's always been my problem spot but now that's the only thing keeping me out of my best fashions and it breaks my heart. I could be more diligent about it, stop drinking, excercise even more, but I think lipo is my only way out here. My husband is totally against that so...

Hopefully, once your medication has been adjusted, you'll be able to do something about your unfortunate weightgain but believe me, you're not alone and we feel your pain. Hang in there.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:09 am
The visual is me naked in the mirror every morning.

Ugh.
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 09:39 am
This is not working......
Crying or Very sad Bella,I certainly feel for you. My weight gain was simply due to overeating,and I was about 89 pounds over my best weight. Embarrassed I don't have health problems like yours.so I was able to get good results with a diet-plan free of sugars/sweeteners,and grains. I eat very few carbs,except for potatoes. In your case,check with your physician before you try any diet. Until your meds are stable,you might not even notice any weight loss you do accomplish. When the time comes,ask your MD for a referral to an exercise coach who can give you safe,good exercises that will help you feel better,but won't endanger your heart.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 09:43 am
Bella, you mentioned yoga -- is it just laziness keeping you from it? If so, DO it!!! Doing something nice and controllable will help you a ton (as in, even if you're eating better it's hard to know if you're eating better ENOUGH as you try to get a handle on things -- yoga will always, always be helpful), and it sounds like it's the only exercise you can do due to your heart rate.

So... DO it!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 01:25 pm
Bella,
I'm really glad that you're feeling better!
So, so, glad the medication is working well for you.

I've have been thin and athletic the majority of my life; so I know what you're talking about! There was one period in my life when I gained 40 lbs in about two months bc of medication I was on (and to top it off; the medication didn't work and I never should have gotten it!).
Anyways, I'd look in the mirror and feel so defeated. I take so much pride in my body. I love my body! But all of a sudden I was 'chubby'. WTF?! Not knowing what it was like to ever struggle with weight, I was really upset. It was a shift in body and mind: I had to conquer a few of those body image issues I never thought I had. Not saying that's the case with you, but I found it hard to enjoy myself the same way at that weight. I finally got to the point where I was so miserable I just said "**** it! I'm luscious and sexy, and I'm gonna carry this weight like a Renaissance beauty!" LOL.

Before that time, I was one of those bitches that ate and ate and had 0 sympathy for anyone struggling with weight. I'd be thinking "fat carp. It's your own fault you're fat". Harsh!
Now I 'get it' a lot better. Though I suppose you have to go through it fully to know what it's like: I got a taste of my own medicine.

Anyways, I'm sorry you've got this to deal with. You've got my support as much as I can.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 02:23 pm
Soz, it was just being so tired I could barely make it though the day that kept me from doing anything. Now, that I am feeling better, I think I will start doing it.
0 Replies