Wilma?? What the heck??

Piffka

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 09:55 am
realjohnboy wrote:
I agree, Merry Andrew. In a similar situation I would close up the house,.....

but have any of yall ever spent anytime in a shelter?

Not me, but I was once evacuated from the oceanfront and moved to higher ground. We spent the night in someone's living room. My bags were fully packed and I was the only one to walk out the door with all my stuff, 'cause we had to hurry. I was also twelve years old and on vacation with a friend and her family. That was for the giant tsunami from the Alaska earthquake... a tsunami which did not hit as hard as expected.

Did anyone catch the long letter that Senator Grassley of Iowa read this morning in the US Senate on C-Span? Astounding stuff, it was the journal of a bus driver who helped for both Katrina and Rita. If you can find a copy -- nothing is available yet, it will make you fume at the wasted resources and wonder whether FEMA and the other administrative folks will ever figure out how to actually HELP people.

This is the latest news ... from Brisbane 34 minutes ago:

Quote:
Killer Wilma builds power
Noel Randewich in Cancun, Mexico
22oct05

DEADLY Hurricane Wilma was headed last night for a direct hit on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula as the tourist cities of Cozumel and Cancun faced devastation.

The category-four storm was packing winds of up to 240km/h and forecasters were warning it could strengthen to category five with winds of 250km/h and storm surges of 3m.

Thousands of tourists bunkered down in Mexican shelters to escape Wilma, which churned in the Caribbean on a path which could eventually take it to Florida.

Heavy rain was coming down in diagonal sheets and howling winds were buckling sturdy trees.

Last night Wilma was 165km southeast of Cozumel and slowly moving northwest.

Forecasters said it would strike densely populated southern Florida late on Sunday.

Tourists were evacuated from luxury beachfront hotels all along Mexico's "Maya Riviera" coast. The normally calm, turquoise Caribbean seas heaved and Wilma dumped rain on streets patrolled by soldiers ordering people to take cover.

Described by forecasters as extremely dangerous, Wilma killed 10 people in mudslides in Haiti earlier in the week.

Cuba evacuated 220,000 people, and residents of southern Florida stocked up on drinking water and petrol to prepare for Wilma, which hammered the coasts of Mexico and Belize with winds of around 240km/h.

Mexican authorities said close to 22,000 tourists and residents had been evacuated from low-lying coastal areas.

In one gymnasium shelter in Cancun, 1600 people spent the night on mattresses on the floor. One local entrepreneur sold T-shirts, perhaps prematurely, with the words "I survived Hurricane Wilma" for $US10 ($13).

About 100 bored-looking foreign tourists stood talking in groups under chandeliers in the cavernous marble lobby of the Hotel Royal Porto Real, near the seafront in Playa del Carmen, another resort just south of Cancun.

"It was meant to be the fortnight holiday of a lifetime," said 28-year-old Simon Hayes, one of four friends on holiday from Britain. "This is not how I envisaged it working out."

Conditions were far tougher for hundreds of migrant construction workers, mostly from the impoverished southern state of Chiapas, who were evacuated from outdoor camps and building sites.

In a kindergarten near Playa del Carmen's beachfront, 50 men sat on the concrete floor of a classroom, too cramped for them to lie down, digging into cans of donated tuna fish with their hands.

"This sucks," said Juan Cruz Perez, a 21-year-old migrant metal worker from the Gulf state of Tabasco.

Wilma became the strongest Atlantic storm on record in terms of barometric pressure yesterday. It weakened to a category-four hurricane, then picked up again as it headed for Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, where it was expected to hit early this morning.

The hurricane season has six weeks left, and has already spawned three of the most intense storms on record. Hurricane experts say the Atlantic has entered a period of heightened storm activity that could last 20 more years.

Wilma was expected to miss Gulf of Mexico oil and petrol facilities battered by hurricanes Katrina and Rita in August and September, but Florida's orange groves were at risk.

Reuters

Not the ORANGE GROVES?!!!!!!!! Letty, please be safe. You too, Phoenix and Mr. Panzade. We'll want to hear from you and how you handled it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 10:11 am
Enhanced radar picture of Wilma: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/IR4/20.jpg

3-day cone (e. g. a cone-shaped path that forecasters think the hurricane might go in: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4%2Bshtml/145344.shtml?3day?large

One piece of good news, according to the Weather Channel:

Quote:
Over the weekend, Wilma is expected to come under the influence of stronger westerly winds aloft blowing across the Gulf, shifting the hurricane toward southern Florida by Monday. The interaction with land as the hurricane brushes past the Yucatan Peninsula plus the increasing influence of westerly shear and even some mid-level dry air intrusion could weaken Wilma considerably before it directly affects Florida.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:56 pm
It seems to doing a job on the Yucatan Peninsula right now, including one of my favorite places -- CancĂșn, Mexico. I understand the coastal villages have been pretty well evacuated. Let's hope that it will spend itself before making another landfall elsewhere.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:27 pm
Oh dear! I only read how powerful Wilma is yesterday.

Thinking of everyone anywhere near its path.

Is the season nearly over?

or don't we know any more, with the critical sea temperatures having gone up?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:35 pm
Deb, it won't be over until November, Aussie.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:46 pm
Normally late November, or early?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:05 pm
Well, Aussie, through the entire month of November, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 09:44 pm
By the time it gets anywhere near you, Letty, it should be down to a cat-1 or -2 storm. Not too hard to take, really. <crosses his eyes, along with the toes and fingers, tucks his thumb into the palm of his hand Latvian-style, and breathes a silent prayer>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:37 am
Andy, thank you for your concern, Latvian sign and all. <smile> Not to worry, all. I'm going to get a grip and get ready today.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 04:45 am
It looks like I bought a whole lot of food that I normally don't eat, in expectation of Wilma for naught. Now they are saying that it is going to be a Category 1 hurricane when it comes through Florida on Monday. Nothing to sneeze at, but none of the "gloom and doom" that would accompany a Cat 4.

I think that the only people who need to be concerned are those in the areas around Fort Myers, Naples, etc.

Letty, I don't want to start crowing yet, but I think that we are pretty much in the clear. That is not to say that my husband's patch job on the roof won't be put to the test!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 05:04 am
Well, Phoenix, you can always use the extra stuff, I reckon. Wilma doesn't seemed to have deterred the bikers here. I think the riders of the purple hawgs are akin to the postmen.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 06:19 am
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwDtAtka3IxXMFPzLIvADEMoGWVa2W*F4kmTn!aMfIDTh60GBEfu9CAGPQbiREHVfo3EJfENDc4uHu!4YtNBLMwPTZTQrYTfJzO4Zl0XrtUoT4uB87p73APTapV!S4z7/Wilma.jpg

Letty- Here is the proposed risk as of this morning. I don't think that we have too much to worry about!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 06:28 am
Oh, Lord, Phoenix. I hope you are right. More importantly, I hope the prognosticators are right.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:16 am
Are you in the green area? (My familiarity with Florida = limited)

What about Misti & Rae?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:21 am
Yes, Piffka. Phoenix and I are in the green area. I lost a lot of my email addresses when my old pc went down. Misti is still in Cocoa Beach, and I think Rae is in Cape Canaveral.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:25 am
Piffka- On the west coast of Florida, in the green area, there is a little outcropping that looks like an, er, oh, nevermind. That is Pinellas county (St. Petersburg.) If you go to the bottom tip of it, go east across the water, (that's Tampa Bay), and go a little ways in, that's where I am.

Misti and Rae are on the east coast, well in the green area too!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:44 am
Ahhh. It does look like "something" doesn't it?

Glad to see you're all in the green. Panzade too, right?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:08 am
I am not sure, but Panzade may be in the yellow area. Sad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:25 am
In a way it would be interesting to ride out a hurricane... I think wind and heavy rain is cool (as long as I'm safe and snug inside or wearing a good rainsuit).

Hope Panzade is okay. He did say he brought in the outdoor furniture.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:27 am
Phoenix
phoenix, my son was preparing, too, in Brandon (Tampa Bay area) for his first real experience with the brunt of a hurricane. I hope he sells his home and gets moved to Albuquerque before another hurricane comes along and whacks the Tampa area.

Hope everyone is Southern Florida is safe.

BBB
0 Replies