Wilma?? What the heck??

Piffka

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:19 am
I wonder if we're burnt out by all the other disasters of the last month 'cause I just checked and there are only three mentions of "Wilma" on a2k as I open this thread. (Good on ya, Letty!!!)

Meanwhile....

Wilma grows to strongest Atlantic hurricane on record
Mail & Guardian Online, South Africa - 5 minutes ago

Hurricane Wilma, which swelled into an "extremely dangerous" category-five storm on Wednesday, threatening Mexico and the Caribbean, is the strongest hurricane ...

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=254178&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/

175-mile per hour winds.... why aren't more people evacuating?
Wilma's recorded drop in pressure to 882 millibars is unprecedented.

Eeeeek.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,868 • Replies: 108
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:21 am
I've heard Naples is in the path. I just missed the one in New Orleans and I was supposed to be in Naples yesterday, but the trip was canceled last week.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:22 am
There probably is an exhaustion factor this hurricane season.
Wilma sounds like she's got potential to be hugely nasty.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:30 am
Wow either I really am too young to remember or I dunno... but I don;t ever remember having this many hurricanes in a row
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:32 am
I think I saw somewhere yesterday that Wilma ties the record for most in a season -- but I also think that Katrina and Rita together broke some kind of record for strength in a single season.

Hope Wilma weakens...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:34 am
After Wilma (I keep picturing Fred Flintstone yelling.....WILMAAAAA...) they start using the Greek alphabet. Wonder if it will be necessary.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:38 am
BBB
My son and Phoenix may be in Wilma's path in the Tampa Bay area.

The hope is that the water in the Gulf is cooling and won't provide as much fuel for hurricane Wilma.

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:41 am
No XYZ?

"X" might be tough, but still possible, but Y and Z are easy enough...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:41 am
I'm too young to remember that, too, CrazieLady.

Gus, it looks like Chicago had better be careful if you're planning a visit there. Very Happy

ehBeth... What a pickle... it went from a category one to the strongest hurricane on record (based on its millibar reading) in the last couple of hours. THis is what the Independent Online Edition said when I got up this morning:
Quote:
.. Wilma threatens US in record hurricane season
By Andrew Buncombe in Washington
Published: 19 October 2005
The southern coast of the US is bracing itself for another hurricane at the end of a storm season as busy as any on record.

Wilma, which yesterday strengthened from a tropical storm to a category 1 hurricane, with winds of around 75mph, was moving east through the Caribbean between Mexico's Yucatan peninsula and western Cuba. Prediction models suggested it would strike Florida's Gulf coast as a category 3 hurricane this week.

Wilma is the Atlantic hurricane season's 12th hurricane and its 21st named storm, tying the record set in 1933, and last equalled in 1969.

It has also exhausted the available list of storm name letters, since q, u, x, y and z are not used. If any more storms form this season letters from the Greek alphabet would be used. That has never happened in the 60 years that Atlantic storms have been named. ...

The problem with the name seemed funny yesterday... not so much, now.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:42 am
Piffka, I swear, it almost seems like some sort of retribution on mother earth. (no, I won't go that route). Not leaving here, however.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:07 am
Letty wrote:
Piffka, I swear, it almost seems like some sort of retribution on mother earth. (no, I won't go that route). Not leaving here, however.

Shocked We can't freak out here, Letty, it's just a storm. Very Happy

(But it is also the biggest, baddest, scariest storm the professional weather forecasters have ever seen!!!!!) Cool

Be safe, sweet Letty, in your Florida home, and same to Panzade. Maybe it will dissipate as quickly as it came up? I hope so.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:27 am
A meteorology student I know from online says that the drop in pressure is amazing, it isn't supposed to be able to happen that way. Wilma was supposed to become a cat 3 and was still at the cat 2 stage at the 11 PM report last night from the NOAA, and then it was at cat 5 stage at the 2 AM report from the NOAA this morning.

See: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=usa&wwa=hurricane%20local%20statement for what the NOAA is currently saying about Wilma.

PS Hurricanes don't get names that start with Q, U, X, Y or Z. It's just easier, and they need to have a pool of names for six years. The names are rotated until they are retired. Andew, Camille and Katrina are retired; I suppose there are others that are retired but I know of those 3 for sure. Beyond W, they go to Greek letters. They have never had to do that before in the over 150 years that storms have been tracked, but this might be the year. And, this year ties the record for the most storms in a season, set in the 30s. The Atlantic hurricane season is officially from the first of June to the 30th of November, so there's another, gulp, 6 weeks in which we could very well have at least 1 more named storm.

How hurricanes get their names: http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/20050601hurricanenames.html

PPS From that link, more retired names:

Charley
Floyd
Frances
Ivan
Jeanne
Lenny

PPS If you want to get a jump on things and really see how hurricanes form, they start with waves from western Africa, so check out the Africa satellite page at www.weather.com , which is: http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm24/africasatellite_large.html
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:05 pm
Panzade is tired of hurricanes...as he trudges about putting up shutters...just a routine
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 01:17 pm
Letty is tired, period.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 01:34 pm
Quote:

I have lots and lots of tuna fish, and I will deal with it the best way that I can. Sad I will fill my huge bathtub, which I have used three times in 11 years, with water, so I can flush my toilet. I have lots of lanterns with those great big batteries.

I am also in serious denial. Wilma won't DARE come my way, or I will put my curse on her! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:31 pm
sozobe wrote:
No XYZ?

"X" might be tough, but still possible, but Y and Z are easy enough...

Xanthippe, Xerxes, Xavier just off the top of my head,

Thay just aren't trying....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:52 pm
Deb, when I was a kid, I thought Xavier was pronounced X avier. The only word that has the sound of X, I think, is Xray. Not, that it matters, a hurricane by any other name would not smell sweet, I don't care what the Bard says. Razz
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:53 pm
I forget sozobe why they don't use XYZ, I thought there was some sort of other reason besides it is difficult, but I could be wrong.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 04:02 pm
Getting really tired of bad weather, ill-health and all the other bad crap that's going on in the world - sorry had to say that.

did I mention how much I hate hospitals?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 04:38 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

I have lots and lots of tuna fish, and I will deal with it the best way that I can. Sad I will fill my huge bathtub, which I have used three times in 11 years, with water, so I can flush my toilet. I have lots of lanterns with those great big batteries.

I am also in serious denial. Wilma won't DARE come my way, or I will put my curse on her! Evil or Very Mad

Hey Phoenix, stay safe. Uhhh, you need some tuna fish recipes???

I admit, I filled my car with gas today with half a thought on the semi-shortages and price-hikes after Katrina.
0 Replies