O oh oh, what a jolly party the Republican Party is

nimh

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:26 am
They're out for the Christians, now ... what do you mean, people's religious values/feelings deserve respect?

Quote:
Ads in Va. Governor Race Mention Hitler

RICHMOND, Va. - The Republican candidate for governor is drawing fire for campaign ads that suggest his Democratic opponent is so averse to the death penalty he would have spared Adolf Hitler from execution.

The radio and TV ads feature victims' relatives who tearfully recount the crimes that killed their loved ones and say they don't trust Democrat Tim Kaine to administer the state's death penalty.

Kaine, who says his moral objections to capital punishment are rooted in his Roman Catholic faith, responded with an ad pledging to carry out death sentences "because it's the law."

One of the ads supporting Jerry Kilgore, Virginia's attorney general, cites a Richmond Times-Dispatch column that said Kaine had "suggested he would not favor sending even Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin or Idi Amin to the gallows."

A commercial featuring death penalty proponent Stanley Rosenbluth has him looking into the camera and saying: "Tim Kaine says Adolf Hitler doesn't qualify for the death penalty. This was one of the worst mass murderers in modern times."

Some Jewish leaders said Friday that the commercials trivialize the Holocaust and should be withdrawn.

Kilgore spokesman Tim Murtaugh defended the ads and said that Rosenbluth spoke from his heart.

Kaine, the lieutenant governor, is seeking to succeed Gov. Mark R. Warner, a fellow Democrat who is barred by the state constitution from seeking a second consecutive term this fall.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,663 • Replies: 96
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:29 am
They played a snippet of that commercial on Air America last night. Quite amusing.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:35 am
They need to get over themselves.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:41 am
heehee.....biiiig loss.

Who mentioned theh nazis first?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:54 am
One more reason to thank god for Godwin's Law.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:57 am
Can't I just thank Godwin?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:00 am
I wonder who was thrown up before Hitler?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:03 am
dlowan wrote:

Same guy. 'God' is actually Godwin's nickname.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:12 am
I'm sure that all the conservatives who went into apoplectic fits when Sen. Dick Durbin compared military interrogation techniques to the Soviet gulag will, with the same self-righteous indignation, condemn this ad campaign.

<crickets chirping>

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:19 am
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Same guy. 'God' is actually Godwin's nickname.

I declare that a beastly canard, and raise you a "Bush is short for Bushwhacked."

ha!
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:48 am
revel wrote:
I wonder who was thrown up before Hitler?

From what I've read of pre WWII writings, they used Napolean.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 01:04 pm
Following up... in evidence that Virginians are no hateful idiots, there's signs that Kilgore's attack backfired:

Quote:
Death Penalty, Bush Loom in Va. Race

[..] DEATH PENALTY:

Kaine is a Roman Catholic who opposes the death penalty. That puts him at odds with most Americans (two-thirds support capital punishment for murderers), and poses even greater peril in a conservative Southern state that favored Bush by 9 percentage points last year.

Kilgore, a former state attorney general, tried to take advantage of the issue by airing ads featuring the families of murder victims.

"Tim Kaine says that Adolf Hitler doesn't qualify for the death penalty," says a relative of one victim.

Kaine responded with an ad calling Kilgore's spot "a vile attempt" to make political gains from an emotional issue. Kaine pledged to enforce the death penalty "because that's the law."

In a telephone interview, Kilgore said voters won't believe that Kaine has changed his stripes after representing death row inmates. "It goes to the issue of trust," he said.

Kaine said it's a matter of values. In a separate telephone interview, the Democrat said voters tell him they disagree with his position but respect him for sticking to his principles.

"I'm not going to change my religious beliefs for one vote," Kaine said.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 06:48 pm
This seems the right thread for the following...

Quote:
Dialing the Republicans

November 29, 2007 5:28
Time
Joe Klein

I attended Frank Luntz's dial group of 30 undecided--or sort of undecided--Republicans in St. Petersburg, Florida, last night...and it was a fairly astonishing evening.

Now, for the uninitiated: dials are little hand-held machines that enable a focus group member to register instantaneous approval or disapproval as the watch a candidate on TV. There are limitations to the technology: all a candidate has to do is mention, say, Abraham Lincoln and the dials go off into the stratosphere. Film of soaring eagles will have the same effect. But the technology does have its uses.

Last night, for example, it was apparent from the get-go that Rudy Giuliani was having a very bad night. Mitt Romney clearly got the better of him in the opening debate about illegal immigration. Romney's dial numbers hovered in the 60s (on a scale of 100) while Giuliani (40s) seemed defensive, members of the focus group later said... [..]

In the next segment--the debate between Romney and Mike Huckabee over Huckabee's college scholarships for the deserving children of illegal immigrants--I noticed something really distressing: When Huckabee said, "After all, these are children of God," the dials plummeted. And that happened time and again through the evening: Any time any candidate proposed doing anything nice for anyone poor, the dials plummeted (30s). These Republicans were hard.

But there was worse to come: When John McCain started talking about torture--specifically, about waterboarding--the dials plummeted again. Lower even than for the illegal Children of God. Down to the low 20s, which, given the natural averaging of a focus group, is about as low as you can go. Afterwards, Luntz asked the group why they seemed to be in favor of torture. "I don't have any problem pouring water on the face of a man who killed 3000 Americans on 9/11," said John Shevlin, a retired federal law enforcement officer. The group applauded, appallingly. [..]
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:03 pm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_n24_v12/ai_18400878

Harry Truman compared the 1948 Republican presidential candidate Thomas Dewey to Hitler.

http://www.newsbusters.org/node/14185

Sometime last July Democratic Congressman Keith Ellison compared the Bush Administration's reaction to 9-11 to the Nazis' reaction to the Reichstag fire in 1933.

http://www.illinoisfamily.org/informed/default.asp?s=751

The Gay Liberation Network has compared Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate Jim Oberweiss with Hitler.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:07 pm
flaja wrote:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_n24_v12/ai_18400878

Harry Truman compared the 1948 Republican presidential candidate Thomas Dewey to Hitler.

http://www.illinoisfamily.org/informed/default.asp?s=751

The Gay Liberation Network has compared Illinois Republican gubernatorial candidate Jim Oberweiss with Hitler.

Shame on them both. Well, one is long dead, but still.

Quote:
http://www.newsbusters.org/node/14185

Sometime last July Democratic Congressman Keith Ellison compared the Bush Administration's reaction to 9-11 to the Nazis' reaction to the Reichstag fire in 1933.

Something unlike the others here...

Comparing a politician to Hitler is distasteful. But should drawing any parallel or comparison to anything that happened in the Nazi era be taboo?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:23 pm
One thing you have to say about Hitler: he had Germany out of the depression by 34 or 35. FDR's ****ed up policies would have kept us in the depression till kingdom come had it not been for WW-II.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:35 pm
nimh wrote:
Comparing a politician to Hitler is distasteful. But should drawing any parallel or comparison to anything that happened in the Nazi era be taboo?

Should such comparisons be used merely for political purposes- when the comparisons have no real basis in fact?

Why does politics have to a blood sport? Why must politicians always place their own political power over the wishes and needs of the people they are supposed to be governing?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:41 pm
flaja wrote:
Should such comparisons be used merely for political purposes- when the comparisons have no real basis in fact?

Well, thats a judgement call though, isnt it. Whether the comparison in question did or did not have a basis in fact.

But for sure, people should be very careful about making comparisons with anything of the Nazi era. It's easy to de facto be relativating the evil of that time by comparing current affairs with it. Same with people who call, say, Hillary, a communist. Thats trivialising those totalitarian ideologies.

Still I thought there was some difference between the Ellison example and the other two. Not well-judged either perhaps, but different from actually comparing an opponent with Hitler.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:59 pm
nimh wrote:
Well, thats a judgement call though, isnt it. Whether the comparison in question did or did not have a basis in fact.

No it is not a judgment call. We have ample and reliable records and eyewitness accounts telling us what Hitler did. Unless you can provide reliable records and eyewitness accounts that show a modern politician has done something that Hitler did, you cannot legitimately make the comparison.

Such comparisons do not have any basis in fact. They are made solely to induce an emotional response in voters solely for the purpose of gaining a political advantage.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 04:13 am
I havent seen the ad, and I am not familiar with either of the candidates, but lets think about what was said in the ad.

One candidate said the other one was so against the death penalty he wouldnt have executed Hitler.

To me, saying that could be a good thing.
It says that the candidate opposed to the death penalty will stand by his principles, no matter who the criminal is.

IMHO,standing by your principles is ALWAYS a good thing.
If the candidate opposed to the death penalty is that willing to stand by his principles, even when he is wrong, he would get my vote.
0 Replies