O oh oh, what a jolly party the Republican Party is

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:25 pm
flaja wrote:
As Vogt points out there is no definite proof that the Nazis set the fire, but the incredible speed with which Hitler exploited the fire gives credence to the rumors that circulated in Germany at the time that the S.A., acting under Goering's orders, set the fire.

According to that logic, one could argue that George W. Bush was behind the 9/11 attacks as well. Welcome to the loony conspiracy fringe, flaja. You can pick up your tinfoil hat at the door.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:37 pm
This boy is more fun than a barrel full of Communist-Nazi-Republican-Jihadist monkeys typing historical tracts on manual typewriters.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:41 pm
Well, at least this time he quoted two sources, even if they're both over 40 years old.. :wink:

(Flaja: there's been a lot of findings since.)
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:15 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
According to that logic, one could argue that George W. Bush was behind the 9/11 attacks as well.

How so? Is there a tunnel leading from the White House to the World Trade Center, or did GWB have to have the tunnel extended to Crawford?

I cannot vouch right off for Vogt, but Shirer was a highly competent and still highly respected historian of Nazi Germany. I know of no respectable scholar, journalist or pundit who honestly believes GWB is responsible for 9-11.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:17 pm
nimh wrote:
Well, at least this time he quoted two sources, even if they're both over 40 years old.. :wink:

(Flaja: there's been a lot of findings since.)

Can you give two reputable, non-internet sources that say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Nazis did not burn the Reichstag?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 09:26 am
flaja wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
According to that logic, one could argue that George W. Bush was behind the 9/11 attacks as well.

How so? Is there a tunnel leading from the White House to the World Trade Center, or did GWB have to have the tunnel extended to Crawford?

Let's review what you said:

flaja wrote:
As Vogt points out there is no definite proof that the Nazis set the fire, but the incredible speed with which Hitler exploited the fire gives credence to the rumors that circulated in Germany at the time that the S.A., acting under Goering's orders, set the fire.

If you only use the two criteria that you actually used -- incredible speed in exploiting a situation, and rumors that the leadership was involved in creating the situation -- then it's clear that Bush after 9/11 fits those criteria just as much as Hitler after the Reichstag fire. Now, if you want to add a proviso that tunnels linking the leader with the situation are also needed in order to make the analogy work, I suggest you should have laid that out explicitly.

flaja wrote:
I cannot vouch right off for Vogt, but Shirer was a highly competent and still highly respected historian of Nazi Germany. I know of no respectable scholar, journalist or pundit who honestly believes GWB is responsible for 9-11.

Neither do I, but then that wasn't my point. I was commenting on your logic, not on your historical sources.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 12:05 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
If you only use the two criteria that you actually used -- incredible speed in exploiting a situation, and rumors that the leadership was involved in creating the situation -- then it's clear that Bush after 9/11 fits those criteria just as much as Hitler after the Reichstag fire.

Except the fact that Bush didn't have a history of using violence in a decade-long quest for power and he didn't have a pliable other branch of government with which he could complete his power grab.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 01:39 pm
flaja wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
If you only use the two criteria that you actually used -- incredible speed in exploiting a situation, and rumors that the leadership was involved in creating the situation -- then it's clear that Bush after 9/11 fits those criteria just as much as Hitler after the Reichstag fire.

Except the fact that Bush didn't have a history of using violence in a decade-long quest for power and he didn't have a pliable other branch of government with which he could complete his power grab.

Once again, you're injecting another element into the equation that wasn't there before. As I pointed out, using the logic that you actually used, you could make the same argument about Bush in the aftermath of 9/11. If you now want to refine your argument now by adding additional facts, go right ahead. That doesn't affect my original assertion. Furthermore, I'm not going to be dragged into your increasingly trivial, antiquarian debate over who caused the Reichstag fire. As to that, I just couldn't care less.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:21 pm
Presently, at the top of my screen is an advertisement to recieve in my email the thoughts of Ann Coulter.

And on the right side of the screen, a similar offer for Newt Gingrich.

I feel dirty.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:22 pm
blatham wrote:
Presently, at the top of my screen is an advertisement to recieve in my email the thoughts of Ann Coulter.

And on the right side of the screen, a similar offer for Newt Gingrich.

I feel dirty.

You popped a boner?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:46 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Once again, you're injecting another element into the equation that wasn't there before. As I pointed out, using the logic that you actually used, you could make the same argument about Bush in the aftermath of 9/11.

I did not introduce anything new. There is no legitimate evidence upon which to base any claim or rumor that GWB was behind 9-11. There is such evidence to back up a claim that the Nazis burned the Reichstag.

By your reasoning if someone says Hillary Clinton runs a brothel on the moon she must really run a brothel on the moon because that's what rumor says.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:42 pm
flaja wrote:
By your reasoning if someone says Hillary Clinton runs a brothel on the moon she must really run a brothel on the moon because that's what rumor says.

Comprehension seems to dawn on you. Now read what you posted before as evidence that the Nazis started the Reichstag fire:

flaja wrote:

By your reasoning, if someone says that the Nazis started the Reichstag fire they must really have started the fire because that's what the rumor says.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 05:54 pm
I am an avid read.
I am a strong supporter of Non-vilonce and decency.
Posting thread is an easy job.
Cut and paste is not that easy if you wish to project your decent culture.
here is one cut and paste f

The current administration's reluctance to grant this protection isn't because there aren't animals that need it; 279 species are well qualified. And not only are many species still waiting for a spot in the safe house, others are getting kicked out. The administration has stripped, or is in the process of stripping, protections from the gray wolf, the Yellowstone population of grizzly bear, the Florida manatee, and the marbled murrelet.

It's not only the science on wildlife that's been fudged. The Bush administration has tampered with the science regarding such issues as public health, the environment, pollution and contamination, and national security. The interference is so extensive, the UCS published an "A - Z Guide to Political Interference in Science" on its website, and more than 12,000 U.S. scientists, including 52 Nobel Laureates, have signed a statement which denounces the administration's meddling and rightfully demands that "the distortion of scientific knowledge for partisan political ends must cease if the public is to be properly informed about issues central to its well being, and the nation is to benefit fully from its heavy investment in scientific research and education."
http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/3431/when_protectors_become_predators/
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 05:56 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
I am an avid read.
I am a strong supporter of Non-vilonce and decency.
Posting thread is an easy job.
Cut and paste is not that easy if you wish to project your decent culture.
here is one cut and paste f

f?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:12 pm
old Europe
English is not my language but decency is imbibed in my blood.
Would you mind to elaborate my cut and paste reation to t he subject of this thread?
Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:55 pm
old europe wrote:
flaja wrote:

Comprehension seems to dawn on you. Now read what you posted before as evidence that the Nazis started the Reichstag fire:

flaja wrote:

By your reasoning, if someone says that the Nazis started the Reichstag fire they must really have started the fire because that's what the rumor says.

How do you make this conclusion? It is a common tactic on the left to make outlandish charges that must be true simply because they are outlandish. My position is that such charges demonstrate that the person making them is a fool when there is no evidence to support the veracity of the charges.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 07:45 pm
flaja wrote:
How do you make this conclusion?

Let's break this down.

You asserted, "anyone who thinks the Nazis didn't start the Reichstag fire is a fool", and, "By any reputable account [the fire] was started by the Nazis".

To substantiate these claims, you bring two sources (both over 40 years old).

But one of the sources you quote, Hannah Vogt, in the very quote you posted, actually wrote: "there is no definite proof that the Nazis set the fire". At the most, the subsequent events "give credence to the rumors that circulated in Germany at the time" that it was the Nazis.

Rumors that events made seem credible, but no definite proof. That's a far cry from 'by any reputable account' and 'only a fool would deny it'. And that's just the source you brought yourself to argue your case!

That's what Old Europe is talking about.

flaja wrote:
It is a common tactic on the left to make outlandish charges that must be true simply because they are outlandish.

Ironically, the hypothesis that it was the Nazis who set the fire is one that was especially encouraged by the left that you so disdain. But historians have moved on.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 08:05 pm
The Reichstag Burns

Quote:
By a weird coincidence, there was also in Berlin a deranged Communist conducting a one-man uprising. An arsonist named Marinus van der Lubbe, 24, from Holland, had been wandering around Berlin for a week attempting to burn government buildings to protest capitalism and start a revolt. On February 27, he decided to burn the Reichstag building.

Carrying incendiary devices, he spent all day lurking around the building, before breaking in around 9 p.m. He took off his shirt, lit it on fire, then went to work using it as his torch.

The exact sequence of events will never be known, but Nazi storm troopers under the direction of Göring were also involved in torching the place. They had befriended the arsonist and may have known or even encouraged him to burn the Reichstag that night. The storm troopers, led by SA leader Karl Ernst, used the underground tunnel that connected Göring's residence with the cellar in the Reichstag. They entered the building, scattered gasoline and incendiaries, then hurried back through the tunnel.

About this Web Site

Quote:
The History Place is a private, independent, Internet-only publication based in the Boston area that is not affiliated with any political group or organization. The Web site presents a fact-based, common sense approach in the presentation of the history of humanity, with great care given to accuracy.

The site was founded and is owned and published by Philip Gavin, who has earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Northeastern University and a Master of Science degree from Boston University. Except where noted, the articles and text appearing throughout The History Place Web site were written by Mr. Gavin.

The History Place (where noted) also includes materials from other writers. Some, such as those listed in Points of View, have PhDs in their fields of study, and in a few cases, are well known celebrities. Other writers, such as Michael Tougias, may not necessarily have an advanced degree, but have proven knowledge resulting from extensive research on a particular historical topic.

The History Place is advertiser supported, although Mr. Gavin has chosen to keep over fifty percent of the Web site commercial free. Mr. Gavin established The History Place on July 4, 1996, utilizing the wonderful technology of the newly emerging World Wide Web to communicate the history of humanity to a global audience.

The History Place contains many examples of man's inhumanity to man as well as notable examples of humans rising to the occasion to fight tyranny and preserve freedom, and overall, reaffirms, in the words of the American Declaration of Independence, that all human beings have "certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

Seems like a good source. You guys should write to him and explain to him that he wrong.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 08:26 pm
nimh wrote:
To substantiate these claims, you bring two sources (both over 40 years old).

Shirer's book was still in print at least up to just a few years ago when I last saw it in local book stores.

BTW: No one here has offered any documentation for any evidence to indicate that the Nazis did not start the fire just as no one here has offered any evidence to indicate that GWB is behind 9-11. But the Left never cares about observed facts and legitimate evidence for its claims.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:25 pm
flaja wrote:
I did not introduce anything new.

Yes you did.

flaja wrote:
There is no legitimate evidence upon which to base any claim or rumor that GWB was behind 9-11.

I never said there was.

flaja wrote:
There is such evidence to back up a claim that the Nazis burned the Reichstag.

I never said there wasn't.

flaja wrote:

I will adopt old europe's response to this nonsense. It is much better than the one I would have written.
0 Replies