Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 03:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
At 6:30 (am) - that's in about 8 hours - Hamburg will get a flood 5.30 meters above mean sea level (1962 it was 5.70 meters).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 03:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
- Hamburg will get a flood 5.30 meters above mean sea level .
A typo, my bad! It's 5.60 meters = only a bit lower than in 1962.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 07:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
thanks , Walter !

i'm quite familiar with it .

the shows from " Spiegel TV " are actually the shows I like best - particularly " Davids-Wache ... Wink ...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 12:16 am
@hamburgboy,
There has been really high water everywhere on the coast. But due too the good works at the dykes, all went -more or less- very well.

View from an apartment house in Hamburg this morning
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps5dfc5a05.jpg

One semi-official comment from the interior minister of one of the northern states: "We had had 50 years to be prepared for such an event."
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 01:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25253080

Norfolk seems to have borne the brunt of the floods.

Keep calm and wear dry socks.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 05:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
walter ,

it looks to me like a " big one " ( ein dicker pott ) is in port . a/t the port register neither the QE nor QM are in hamburg right now - QE in January , I believe .

perhaps one of the queen's is in drydock ?
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:14 am
greetings from the " Hamburg Fish Market Halls " - fish were allowed to swim into the vendors' market stalls .

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71571000/jpg/_71571694_gerhamfloodedafp.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:30 am
@hamburgboy,
It has been the second highest flood ever recorded in Hamburg this morning - the terrible 1962 flood (with 350 dead) had been 40 cm lower. (The 1976 flood being the highest, 35 cm more than today.)
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 07:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
We've had the 'most serious' tidal surge for 60 years, apparently, although there have been no reports of death/injury as far as I am aware.

Great Yarmouth and Boston have had it bad, and it has been the case that hundreds of households were evacuated, but so far so good. Apart from property damage, things are a lot better than anticipated.

Keep calm and always wear clean underwear.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 11:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
It's pretty damn cold here in Silicon Valley.
Quote:
SUNNYVALE, CA (94087)
Weather Updated: Dec 06 9:49AM PDT

Fair 33º
Feels like 33º
Eva

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm not feeling very sympathetic, c.i.

It's 21 F here in Tulsa at 6:00pm. We've had snow and ice today. It's supposed to get down to 3 F tonight.

Brrr. I'm not leaving the house.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:42 pm
@Eva,
17 F here now at 5:40 pm. I try not to rev up my furnace much (it's like hearing money flow out, sort of like fung shui concepts), but I'm such a sissy these days. I have to admit it has been pretty here this week, both the days of warm-like sun, and these snowy ones. In the last half hour I've comforted m'self by making a double batch of oatmeal raisin cocoa cinnamon almond cookies. I'll pass them around if there is interest.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:43 pm
@Eva,
I know, but this is about the worst it gets in these parts. We usually expect "moderate" climate here in Silicon Valley, and freezing doesn't happen here that often.
Eva

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sorry. I know you're not used to really cold weather out there. Right now, a high of 33 F sounds reasonable to me.

Part of the reason I don't take cold weather well has to do with the extreme fluctuations here. We had highs in the 60s just a few days ago. A lot of people get sick because of this.

Yes, pass some of those cookies around, Osso! They sound delicious!
roger

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 06:53 pm
@Eva,
Of course you have snow and ice. It's Tulsa. My best recollecton is that the lack of snow and ice means a forcast of thunderstorms and tornados.
Eva

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 07:06 pm
@roger,
That, or 100 degrees and drought.

Nobody can accuse us of not having four distinct seasons. The problem is, we often have two at a time.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 07:19 pm
@Eva,
I lied - turns out it's 29 here, and that's more like it (I haven't been outside in the last bunch of hours). Supposed to get to 16, which is reasonable.
Back in what I call north north, we rarely had frost by the coast, and I only saw snow inland, but a few times a year it might get to the low 20's. Summer highs were 65, with odd occurrences a few degrees upward. I got to like the place - took me a while. I'm still waiting on Albuquerque, but I don't hate it, like the people.
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 10:03 am
@ossobuco,
Dummying up about our weather in Sarasota/Tampa Bay area.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 12:15 pm
@Eva,
Eva, When I did cruises in October and November of this year on the Rhine, Mosel and Danube (total of 25 days), it was "very" cold for me. I layered my clothes enough to keep a little warm. I don't mind visiting cold places, but can't tolerate much where we live. Mr. Green
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 12:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Actually, it had been rather warm for this time of the year, even by late afternoon Wink

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps20237e08.jpg

0 Replies