Adele2473

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:55 am
Hi Everyone, never posted here and relatively new. I live in Queens New York and it is so hot and humid here. Honestly, i prefer the fall and spring than this heat.......
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 03:40 pm
hi, adele2473. Welcome to A2K and this normally sleepy thread. The exception to that was during last year's hurricane season.
So how hot and humid is it in Queens?
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 04:54 pm
Hello Adele and welcome to A2K. I hope you get as much fun out of this site as I have for the past few years. Where is Queens - in NYC? I have only been there once and my impression left me fearful to return. It is SO enormous, but are there still little tiny neighborhoods within a huge city where people actually know each other? I gather it was like that in the old days. I'm from North Florida & live on a barrier island, so I'm spared some of the worst heat that blasts like a furnace.
Originally I was born in upstate NY, then lived most of my younger life in a nice suburb south of Pittsburgh, PA called Bethel Park...but I have been in Florida ever since I graduated from Pitt in 1982 (pharmacy school) &
my 3 daughters & I moved down to Florida in 1983. Good grief, it's been 23 years next month! August was the month we arrived, I had to rush to
get the girls enrolled in schools, which are DISGUSTING. Florida is the place where people want to retire to when they get old and grey, yet Florida is the 59th WORST state in terms of standards of medical care. Medical malpractice & negligence are rampant here and I can personally testify to that. I was hospitalized 4 times last year, and 3 times this year and all are related to medical negligence. The weather here is sort of like living thru winters in Pennsylvania. You stay indoors in your heated home, go out in your heated car, etc. Here in Florida you stay indoors in your air conditioned home, go out in your air conditioned car etc etc. AND if you're smart you avoid exposing your skin to the sun between 11am and 3pm. This is a dermatologist's paradise. Skin cancer runs rampant. Wow - I don't know where all of THIS came from. This topic is about the weather, LOL. Just thought I'd tell you a bit about myself at the same time m'dear. Have a great day.
0 Replies

Misti26 II

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 12:07 am
Hi Babsatamelia, nice to see you here again:)

There are those of us in Florida who love the balmy breezes, the slow, inviting beaches, and the casual lifestyle ... me, for one!

I guess different strokes, huh?
0 Replies

Misti26 II

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 11:28 pm
Cocoa Beach, Florida, United States Local Weather

Latest Reported Weather Conditions
Observed at Cocoa Beach, FL
Updated 11:55 PM EDT SAT JUL 22 2006

Mostly Cloudy
79°F
26°C
Click here for hourly conditions and extremes during the past 48 hours.

Humidity: 89%
Wind: SW at 12 MPH
Barometer: 30.00 in.
Dewpoint: 75°F
Visibility: 7SM

It is hot in Florida, and that's ok with me ... I go out equipped for the weather with drink in thermos, cotton clothing, no makeup, and lots of sunscreen!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 10:01 am
A mere week after joining us here, Adele from the Queens has been subjected to a prolonged power outage in that part of NYC that is now into its 7th day. We hope she is doing okay and will report in when she can.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 01:47 pm
eastern lake ontario :
pretty nice summer weather - today a high of 26 C .
nights are to be below 20 C - pretty comfortable .
our berry crop - raspberries and red currants - was about two weeks early , the bushes are picked clean , bumper crop , the freezer is almost full .
will have some berries with frozen yoghurt and cake for tea this afternoon - thinking of you !
hbg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 01:54 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
A mere week after joining us here, Adele from the Queens has been subjected to a prolonged power outage in that part of NYC that is now into its 7th day. We hope she is doing okay and will report in when she can.

It's been a fiasco. Con Ed reported for the first three days that some 2000 people were out of service, turns out that that was supposed to be 2000 ADDRESSES, it also turns out that it should have been (get ready)
20,000 addresses out of service. That's more like 100,000 people without power for more then a week.

Heads are going to roll.

Joe
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 02:03 pm
That's absolutely horrible to have no power for 7 days in this smoldering
heat, especially for New Yorkers (Queens). My heart goes out to you.

I just wanted to rant about our record breaking temperatures and high
humidity in southern California (which we rarely have) but in the wake
of hearing that, I better be quiet.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 02:06 pm
joe wrote :
"Heads are going to roll. "

will those responsble to live without airconditioning next summer ?

(imo it might be pretty difficult to put the blame on any individuals .
looking at ontario , there has been a longtime neglect in long-term planning AND INVESTMENT for power production and distribution . as well serious conservation efforts are lacking . lot of talk about what to do . it takes decades to bring more power to customers and get citizens to become aware of conservation efforts . just about everyone wants power cheaply NOW and the heck with conservation Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad )
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 02:18 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
more like 100,000 people without power for more then a week.

What puzzles me is, why they can't get the electricity by generators. (Which isn't good either but better than nothing - we had close to us that situation in last winter: after three days and some nearly rolling heads they had generators around there to supply the whole state.)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 05:48 pm
walter :
i believe the supply of electrical power in north-america is somewhat different from the european situation .
just looking at ontario , there are not many power-stations ; everything depends on 'the grid' to supply electricity . very few municipalities have their own power station .
our city had planned to set up an independent (gas-fired) power staion about five years ago , but ontario hydro persuaded the ontario government to deny the city a license . our two local hospitals now have backup generators , but they only supply a very limited amount of emergency power .
it's quite astounding that only twenty years ago ontario was a large power exporter , but now can no longer produce enough electricity to satisfy local demend - power is imported from the united states - and much of that power comes from 'dirty' coal-burning plants .
the price of electricity has become an election issue in the last several years . each party promises to "try" and hold the price down , of course the price goes up anyway , but no party would dare say so before the election - or they'd be dead-as-a-doornail . unfortunately , the electorate still believes there should be 'cheap and unlimited power' .
it's really no different with gasoline prices ; people think that since canada is pretty well self-sufficient in oil and gasoline supplies , the price could - and should - be much lower in canada .
imo there will be a rude wake-up call before long Evil or Very Mad Exclamation
hbg

(the transmission lines in ontario are 29,000 kilometers long)

a link for anyone interested in ontario's power supply and demand (official site) :...ELECTRICITY - ONTARIO...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 05:26 pm
Everybody here is sweating on whether the Wednesday's temperature will reach a level which will go into the Guiness Book of Records and thus become a quiz question in 3669 AD when the pubs will have to have battery operated glasses to melt the beer for long enough for it to be swallowed without causing the hiccups and when us lot are as long gone as St Augustine.

Bets are being placed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 10:53 pm
The one week forecast for our weather looks promising; it's gonna be in the high seventies by Friday.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 09:14 am
I recently saw a long range forecast for the fall and winter for the US. There were no areas with below normal temps forecasted, most of the country is being shown as above normal, and two pockets - the midwest and the desert southwest - with 'extremely warm' fall and winter forecasts.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 10:19 am
weather or not its ****in hot

It must be me getting old, alternatively its ****ing hot
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 11:24 pm
http://i7.tinypic.com/2116xwl.jpg

Quote:
Meanwhile, on the Continent . . .

Across Europe, the heat has killed more than 60 people as rivers run dry, crops turn to a crisp, fires rage and electricity grids begin to falter.

In France, surgeons, anaesthetists and obstetricians were accused of betraying their Hippocratic oath by going ahead with a planned strike over fees and soaring insurance charges.

In Spain, authorities had to close a nuclear power station at Garoña, in the northern province of Burgos, on Monday after nuclear energy experts said that the waters of the Ebro river had become too warm to be used to cool the plant's reactors.

In some areas of Spain, coastal waters have risen to 79F (26C), prompting an invasion of poisonous jellyfish. On the Costa Brava alone, 700 bathers have been treated for stings in the past two weeks.

In Italy, where temperatures touched 104F (40C) last weekend and are set to rise again, farmers and fishermen believe the lack of rain could cost them as much as 3,680 million euros (£2.5million) in lost produce.

Authorities in Germany say that the number of people dying in pools, lakes and rivers as they try to cool off could top the record of 644 in 2003, with 250 already drowned by the end of June.

Sources: The Daily Telegraph, 26.07.2006, page 5

The Guardian: Fire, drought and a dangerous rise in pollution: welcome to tinderbox UK
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 05:42 pm
100 degrees in Virginia today, as the heat wave spreads across the US. Worse, I hear, in New England. I feel sorry for the poor folks in big cities who are baking.
The voice from behind the curtain says "This has nothing to do with global warming. It is a fluke. Don't worry about it. Everything is fine."
How hot is it where yall are?

Tropical storm Chris? Is anyone tracking him?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 06:57 pm
The water temperature in the Gulf is in the upper 80s. Not a good thing if tropical storms start gathering.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 07:03 pm
realjohnboy wrote:

Tropical storm Chris? Is anyone tracking him?

http://tribunewx.wunderground.com/data/images/at200603_5day.gif

ruh roh
0 Replies