blatham

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 08:55 am
You prefer it should come from behind?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 06:19 pm
eastern lake ontario :
SUNSHINE ! after some really dreary weather over the holidays we saw the sun this afternoon . fairly mild for january - temp arond the freezing mark , getting to about minus 10 C for the weekend - with sunshine , i hope.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:10 pm
Predictions for Friday night is 36F, extending over the weekend, a little bit warmer but not much.
0 Replies

Devrie

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:17 am
Hi everyone, I'm new, so excuse my barging in. I'm in Iceland, where, although the temperatures seldom go below freezing, the wind is a two-headed monster.

The temperature, as I write this, is freezing. This morning, the winds were 35kts stustained, with gusts of 45kts. Iew. It has been snowing on and off here, and while I like a few snow flurries, I hate the showery stuff that pelts ya in the face with 35kt winds.

So the winds have died down to about 15kts right now...but alas, they are forecasted to go back up to 25G35kts this evening. ARgh.

I'm from Florida, where I can do without winters. (Though there is an inner voice that tries to remind me of those days I drove to work in a car without an AC and how I burnt my hands just trying to buckle the seat belt).

Anyway, nice to meet you all. Have fun!!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 04:11 am
Hi Devrie, interesting to hear about the weather in Iceland. What on earth brought you there?

Weather in Balingen: sunny! But cold, cold, cold...
0 Replies

Devrie

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:05 am
Iceland
Hello Urs.

I'm here because my job sent me here. Smile Enjoy the sunny but cold weather!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:53 pm
eastern lake ontario :
woke up to beautiful sunshine and minus 10 C - but it quickly turned grey and damp, just a bit of snow.
wish we had some truly canadian winter(cold and sunny !) - i mean it . hbg
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:16 pm
The sun came out for the first time since 12/23. It was a wonderful day! Temps approaching 40F, blue sky for most of the day. That will need to last me for a while. Clouds return tomorrow with a chance of snow.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:15 pm
It is very cold here, about 52F midday and sunny (actually beautiful) and predicted to go into the 30's again tonight.

I woke up a few times last night to turn the electric blanket back on, there was my daring Paddy trying to get under the sheets to enjoy the warmth. The blankets and sheets were covering him and his little face peering out was a sight for sore eyes, he was so funny!

I don't mind cold weather for a change in Florida, it only lasts a couple of days, I can deal with that:)

Welcome Devrie, and yes, how many years have you been in Iceland? Do you plan on staying there?

Keep warm:)
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:58 am
That is pretty cold for Florida, Misti! I just checked the web cam at Best Western Cocoa Beach. The pier and beach look wonderful!

It was -7 °C this morning. My poor car is all frozen. Now I am waiting for the sun to get rid of the ice. Then I will drive it to the public car park so I won't have to sit in an ice cold car tomorrow morning...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:30 pm
eastern lake ontario :
just slightly above freezing and SUNSHINE !
freezing rain forecast for tonight, not looking forward to that.
forecast for the next ten days calls for above freezing highs every day, just slightly below overnight.
this is certainly very unusual for early january,
usually it's 10-20 C below overnight at this time of the year ... well, it'll keep the furnace-oil bill low. hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:20 pm
bright, cold and sunny at the west end of Lake Ontario

the snow will melt again soon Confused
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:09 pm
eastern lake ontario :
another almost springlike day (for our area anyway). birds are chirping ... i guess all the snow and cold temperatures have shifted to japan , china ... hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:56 pm
Quote:
DW staff (dc) | www.dw-world.de | © Deutsche Welle.

Europe | 20.01.2006

Russian Freeze to Spread Through Europe

The rest of Europe is about to get a taste of Russia's extreme cold
As the death toll in Russia's lethal deep freeze topped 70 on Friday, forecasters warned the cold snap would continue to spread through Europe. Germany is facing record cold temperatures starting next week.

The latest deaths due to the severe weather in Russia brought to at least 71 the number of those who have died across the country since the start of the cold snap late Monday, including 16 in the capital, Moscow.

Russian weather forecasts predicted the continuation of bitter cold temperatures as low as minus 38 Celsius (minus 36 Fahrenheit) well into next week, with the Siberian anti-cyclone spreading west into Europe.

Exports of Russian gas and electricity have been cut back to provide for increased domestic demand in what is Moscow's coldest spell in 26 years.

Germany facing record lows

The cold spell is already moving westwards, with Germany facing record minus temperatures at the start of next week.

"The trend points toward a pretty cold coming week in all of Germany," said Andreas Wagner of the meteorological service Meteomedia. "The cold air from Russia could spread throughout the whole country."

Parts of eastern Germany could experience temperatures as low as minus 20 Celsius starting on Sunday night.

Ukraine, Baltics suffering

On Friday, Ukraine was hit by arctic cold that sent people to hospital with frostbite, closed schools and mines, and was taxing the nation's electricity grid, officials said.

The Baltic countries were also feeling the icy effects, while Finland was facing a possible power shortage after Russia said the cold weather would force it to cut power deliveries to the Nordic country by 25 percent.

By late morning, power imports from Russia had dropped to 1,030 megawatts from the normal 1,300 megawatts, Fingrid, the company charge of Finland's national electricity system, said.

The Russian power cuts come at the worst possible time for Finland, where temperatures were forecast to drop to between minus 20 and minus 30 degrees Celsius on Friday and as low as minus 40 degrees Celsius in coming days.

Like many other European countries, Finland has already seen its gas supplies from Russia cut this week.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:02 pm
Still unseasonably warm here. Just around freezing.
On the upside, we expect at least 5 cm of snow by noon tomorrow.
Just north of here, they're expected to get 20 - 45 cm.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:09 pm
I got a new spark plug for the snowblower. Just in case. :-)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:15 pm
eastern lake ontario :
still unusually mild, daytime highs above freezing, up to plus 8 C, lows just below freezing,
cooling trend to start by end of next week,
no ice on lake ontario yet, usually there is an icecover heavy enough to walk on by this time(will lake not freeze over this year ?),
february and march can still be brutally cold - down to minus 30 C overnight, so we are not out of the woods yet.

i suspect the "siberian cold wave" will come across the north-pole within the next two weeks.
it's unusual to walk on green grass in january, that's for sure.
in the meantime the oiltank isn't being depleted. hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:27 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I got a new spark plug for the snowblower. Just in case. :-)

I'll make some baked beans for Setanta. <same thing :wink: >
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:30 pm
Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz

Gotta go out and check the wind so I am not downwind.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:45 pm
Well - I'm heading to Melbourne tomorrow, where the temperature is expected to reach 41C - that's about 105F in the old money! MsOlga and I have just been discussing food and adult beverages! You need a lot of beverages in that heat - but our apartment has a/c. Cuppla days of intensive tennis watching coming up (Australian Open - first of the grand slams for the year!) The Centre Court (Rod Laver Arena) at Melbourne Park has a retractable roof - they close it if it gets too hot for the players and/or spectators!

Sydney today is just magic - about 30C - around 80-ish, clear, cloudless, slight breeze, humidity not too bad - a great day to be out and about - wearing full cover-up, hat and sunblock, of course!
0 Replies