How Do We Win in Iraq?

Bob Lablob

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:58 pm
We should just leave Iraq. Seriously. Just give Tehran the keys to Baghdad and split. You know that's what's gonna happen anyways. Why not just expedite the inevitable and get our folks home so they can be unemployed and ruin the economy?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:59 pm
I don't think humans have evolved at all. we still have wars and an insatiable need, or something, to kill one another. even animals don't kill one of their own species, do they?
Unless America wants to be paying for a war forever they should cut their losses, like they EVENTUALLY did in Vietnam and get out of Iraq. Iraq is a 4,000 year old country. Who is America to tell them how to live? Is America perfect? Don't think so. The republic died in America after the Civil War, when fed gov't became centralized. Democracy is not practiced in America, where your rights are being taken away daily. The right to peacefully protest, like Cindy Sheehan was doing, what happened to that? Under the guise of protecting Americans, you are losing your rights. How many of you have actually read the Patriot Act? Check it out online. The founding fathers would turn over in their graves if they read it. Iraq's business is THEIR business. Americans should mind their own business, fix the problems in their own country (Soc. Sec., health care, etc) quit ripping off resources from other countries and learn to live with less, like most of the planet. The 'no limits' Reagen era is part of the problem. There ARE limits to everything. Killing innocent people to get their oil so people can drive their 2-3 cars per family sucks. If that is part of the American Dream, then that 'dream' needs to drastically change. And if it is not initiated by America joining the Kyoto Accord and getting onboard with reducing greenhouse gases, then nature will do it. And is doing it (Katrina, Rita). Do you know how much fuel a humvee that they use in Iraq uses? Guess it should have been 'build levees, not humvees'. If Georgie can't do it, then he should be impeached and someone put in as commander in chief. I mean, come on America, you were ready to impeach Clinton!! Isn't this more important!!?? And while some of you are mumbling about 'but there COULD have been WMD's' in Iraq' ask yourself why Israel gets to have WMD's. You don't go to war with a country based upon what ifs. Anyway, the Army isn't finding anymore cannon fodder for their stupid war. Lowest recruitment since 1979. Now they want to take high school dropouts and kids with just a GED. And if that doesn't work- then the draft......Can you guys really take 3+ years of Bushie and his cabal?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 04:12 pm
good post ms englishpersonette

the problem as I see it is that Bush and co have decided that whilst they cant stop the oil running out, they are determined the United States will be the last to suffer shortages.

I've said this before elsewhere, but there is an awesome (awful) symmetry to the worlds problems.

Short term its terrorism
Long term its climate change
And medium term and fuelling both is our addiction to cheap and plentiful hydrocarbons
0 Replies

Bob Lablob

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 05:02 pm
Damn right, cheap plentiful hydrocarbons. ANWAR, baby.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:27 pm
Except for insects like the black widow.
0 Replies

tonyf

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 11:11 pm
animals
englishmajor wrote:
I don't think humans have evolved at all. we still have wars and an insatiable need, or something, to kill one another. even animals don't kill one of their own species, do they?

Within some animal colonies, say a pride of lions, there is always a struggle to be the predominant male - often resulting in a fight between competing males with the loser suffering serious injury or subsequent death. The same occurs with baboons & other primates.

I'd generally go along with all the other issues you raised + the questions most people seem to be blithely ignoring
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 11:24 pm
well, let them ignore away.....
the losers will be the americans, in more ways than one.
america didn't win vietnam and they won't win iraq.
just ain't happening, man.
would be nice to see more 1960's activism!
there is about, what - 250 million americans? how many are protesting the war? actively? yes, i realize one can get arrested for peacefully protesting in the 'land of the free' but what kind of future do you want for your kids and grandkids? I see Brave New World coming up.........or 1984.
Old Robert E. Lee said ' if you don't stand up for something, you'll fall for anything'.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 11:26 pm
oh, forgot to address your reply about the animal world. i guess this puts humans in the primate kingdom, eh? always thought gorillas, chimps, etc were smarter than people. but at least they are fighting for survival of the fittest. what's man's excuse?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:05 am
englishmajor, The US population now sits at about 300,000,000.

The administration we now have is responsible for many ills in this world today. We have lost many of our allies, and most Arab countries now hate us.

This administration is spending like a drunken sailor with no end in sight that resulted in the largest federal deficit in our country and the world.
To rebuild the destrucdtion from the hurricanes, president Bush said this will be the biggest reconstructdion project in our country - without raising taxes, and playing games to reduce other spending. Our great, great, great, great, grandchildren will be paying on this debt, and inflation will be in our near future.

Although the majority of Americans now seem to understand the quagmire created in Iraq by this administration, they only give lip service in polls.

More Americans are now riding their bikes, because a gallon of gas is now over US$3.00 - a price most countries have been paying for decades.

This administration is also responsible for the killing of 100,000 innocent Iraqis as a consequence of this war. Most Americans ignore these numbers, and some don't seem to mind the 2,000 lost of our own men and women - plus the $5 billion every month this war is costing us, because they still support this stupid war.

Our country is going down in a hand-basket, and most Americans are too stupid to understand the politics and economics of how incompetent this administration is.

The democrats are a dead jackass; all they do is complain without offering any solutions.

When our housing bubble bursts, many Americans are going to be living in the streets of America.

It's scary.
0 Replies

tonyf

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:22 am
quick response
englishmajor wrote:
oh, forgot to address your reply about the animal world. i guess this puts humans in the primate kingdom, eh? always thought gorillas, chimps, etc were smarter than people. but at least they are fighting for survival of the fittest. what's man's excuse?

Very Happy I guess if you have a country being 'governed' by a cadre not so far up the evolutionary scale, they're going behave in the same way. I often thought that Bush saw getting elected as a way of screwing $ out of the electorate without having to bear the consequences of his mis-actions. He didn't want to govern in the real sense of the word - to proactively produce policies and laws that benefit society and well-being of the nation - he simply wanted to maintain a status quo, get richer, have a good time and let everything around him bumble along in the way it has for years. Tackle the serious issues of inequality? bad housing? an appalling health system based on ability to pay, not health needs? inequitable tax laws? these are fundamentals that live below the horizon of bush's view of the world. He is seriously not up to the job, he lied to congress and america about the existence of weapons of mass destruction (greater crime than the sexual pleasures of the previuos incumbent) why isn't there a movement to impeach the man?
0 Replies

Bob Lablob

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 06:58 am
What truly frightens me is a member known as "englishmajor" doesn't know the first thing about proper capitalization or grammar.

Was she out sick the day they taught English at the university?

She must have attended one of those darned new age colleges where learning is only for extra credit.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 09:11 am
Bob
If you want to be a teacher, apply at a school or other institutions of learning. Capitalization and grammer are not a prerequsite for posting on this site. If you dont like this, move to a site that pleases you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 11:10 am
bl, I must agree with rabel22; grammar is not what is important on a2k. The majority of posters are not English majors or skilled in the English grammar, and will make our share of mistakes. Many posters on a2k live in countries where English is a second or third language. What matters is that we understand what the poster is trying to communicate - not perfect English grammar. That's my .02c for today.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:09 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
bl, I must agree with rabel22; grammar is not what is important on a2k. The majority of posters are not English majors or skilled in the English grammar, and will make our share of mistakes. Many posters on a2k live in countries where English is a second or third language. What matters is that we understand what the poster is trying to communicate - not perfect English grammar. That's my .02c for today.

And in this case, the poster in question lives in Canada. Point taken. http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/crudesmoke.gif
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:34 pm
BL as a fellow Californian should know better. Our state is a conglomeration of many races and cultures.
0 Replies

Bob Lablob

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:37 pm
Well, I should know better but I'm an idiot.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 01:53 pm
BL, Nobody called you an idiot. No need to self-deprecate. Just pointing out the obvious.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:00 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
BL, Nobody called you an idiot. No need to self-deprecate. Just pointing out the obvious.

So you're saying it's obvious that BL is an idiot?

I'm just seeking clarification ... not trying to stir things up. Honest.
0 Replies

Bob Lablob

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:12 pm
No, I am an idiot. My mother would never lie to me. Well, she lied about Uncle Carl but that's because she was banging him.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:14 pm
Nice try, tico. LOL
0 Replies