How Do We Win in Iraq?

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:24 am
I understand that people were bothered by the possibility that Saddam had WMD at his disposal.

I'm terrified that George Bush and the people who pull his strings definitely have them at their disposal.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:56 am
http://members.cox.net/sjrohde3/images/books_h/haber_atom_dellb104.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:55 am
I'm on good terms with my atoms, but I wouldn't call the friends.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:06 am
However, I'm still waiting to see whether or not Brandon is going to come back to this thread...

Hm.

Maybe not.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:07 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Some senior general said recently that the Iraqis will not be ready to take over security of their country for another five years.

i've heard the same thing. another said it would take 10 to put down the insurgency.

either way, america cannot afford to be involved in this for that long. and it appears that fewer and fewer are supporting anything beyond next year.

if the iraqis aren't ready by then, they'll never be.

Even if they do get ready, they're having big problems with the new constitution and the constant tribal disagreemnts between the Sunnis and Shia.

funny how the big brains in the bush administration and pnac failed to take into consideration thousands of years of historical fact regarding the middle east before launching this expedition, ain't it ??

Somebody also mentioned the fact that there's a possibility that Iran may get involved with Iraqi's politics when they become "independent."

yep. talibane recently visited iran, meeting with the new president. he also visited the grave of khomeini, where he layed flowers and prayed.

great...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:14 am
Frank brings up a good point: Bush is the most dangerous nut having the power to use nukes. If we add up all the incompetent actions of this administration, it only follows that this guy is the most dangerious man on this planet.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:20 pm
Jon Stewart had a great bit on The Daily Show either yesterday or the day before.

Quote from Bush that more Iraqi troops have been trained.

Quote from general reporting to Armed Services committee that Iraqi brigades at highest level of operational readiness are down from three to one over the last several months.

Quote from Cheney that the insurgency is on its last legs.

Quote from general reporting to the Armed Services committee that the insurgency is likely to last for years.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:04 pm
Five U.S. troops Die in New Iraq Offensive

Oct 4, 2005

Quote:
(CBS) HAQLANIYAH, Iraq Five U.S. troops, four soldiers and a Marine, have been killed in western Iraq as the military launched its second major operation in the region in four days. Operation "Iron Fist" was being conducted near the Syrian border and operation "River Gate" has been launched in the Euphrates River valley.

CBS 5

---------

Oct 1, 2005

"They were as good as our guys were," Lybarger said. "I wanted to kill them before they teach all the other guys how to do that."

This isn't good news, its kinda getting Scary.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:36 pm
US Policymakers Despair of Iraqi Army
By Martin Sieff
United Press International

Monday 03 October 2005

As Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, commented, "It doesn't feel like progress when we hear today that there is only one Iraqi battalion fully capable."
US politicians and policymakers' perceptions towards the Iraq war have reached another tipping point: There is now a widespread recognition shared among senior uniformed US military officers and Washington foreign policy analysts that plans to rapidly build up the Iraqi army as a new, independent effective fighting force have failed disastrously.

The Senate heard testimony last week from some of America's top generals that the war in Iraq is going worse than ever and that only 1 out of 119 Iraqi army and security battalions can operate by itself in combat situations without US military backup.

Top US generals admitted in testimony Thursday to the Senate Armed Services Committee that only a single Iraqi battalion was prepared to operate on its own without US military support. This was a stunning decrease from the three battalions that US generals had assured Congress in previous testimony were ready to operate independently.
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/100405B.shtml
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:41 pm
"They were as good as our guys were," Yeah but without helicopter gunships, 500 pound bombs, an Air Force or Navy, etc, etc. Bushie attacked a nearly defenseless nation and still mission aint accomplished.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 11:23 am
But he said "bring them on," and they came.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 01:36 pm
"You cannot stay the course if you do not set a course."

from a USMC fella' running for congress in PA
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 01:38 pm
That's a good one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 01:40 pm
"Stay the course" in this case means to continue the unplanned course. I'm afraid a plan will not be forthcoming until the next administration takes over in 3 1/4 more years.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:20 pm
C.I.
If this continues for another 3 I/4 more years. Based upon enlistment the US will not be able to field an adequate fighting force and the treasury will be depleted.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:30 pm
au1929 wrote:
C.I.
If this continues for another 3 I/4 more years. Based upon enlistment the US will not be able to field an adequate fighting force and the treasury will be depleted.

dernnitt, au !! don't you understand we're giving democracy to the grateful, liberated iraqi people ??

if that means sending every man, woman, child and household pet to iraq and bankrupting of the united states of america, it's well worth it.

Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:34 pm
After all, Bush is the president and commander in chief. Karl Rove, Rummie, and Bush are doing a bang up job, aren't they?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:37 pm
DontTreadOnMe
Next we will be bringing ice to the Eskimos
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:51 pm
The Army is having trouble getting cannon fodder (sorry, but that's all these kids are to them) see article:

Army Moves to Recruit More High School Dropouts
by Joseph Galloway

WASHINGTON - Army Secretary Noel Harvey and vice chief of staff Gen. Richard Cody said Monday that the Army was using looser Defense Department rules that permitted it to sign up more high school dropouts and people who score lower on mental-qualification tests, but they denied that this meant it was lowering standards.

Until Army recruiters began having trouble signing up enough recruits earlier this year, the Army had set minimum standards that were higher than those of the Defense Department.

The Army has a recruiting shortfall of 6,000 to 8,000 soldiers over the past 12 months. It hasn't fallen so short of its annual goal since 1979, several years after the Vietnam war.

(So, what's next America? The DRAFT?)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:51 pm
Maybe the Brits will help us with that too! LOL
0 Replies