How Do We Win in Iraq?

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:31 am
kuvasz wrote:
C.I., dont play a suckers [sic] game. you will be forced to document every single item and he is unwilling do the same for his position, and even then, as this weirdo just did to you, your documentation will be cast a side with a "so what?"

best force your adversary explain his definition of "winning" in iraq, how it relates to what was purported [sic] the reason bush invaded, have him define the measurement for "winning" and provide relavent [sic] benchmarks that are quantifyable [sic]. if he can't do that, then any claim of "winning" in iraq is just so much smoke being blown up your a$$ .

i just think the guy is intellectually incapable of admitting he was snookered, you [sic] are wasting your breath and time on the likes of such. a lot of ego is riding on this for him and to admit he is wrong is simply too much for such a fragile mind.

give it up. you wil [sic] get more objectivity from your dog.

Since the stated reason for the invasion was to resolve the Iraq WMD issue with certainty, we have suceeded. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to see other things happen too. Success, to me, would be for American troops to leave Iraq in a sufficiently stable condition to maintain its democracy by itself, with only the ordinary difficulties that democracy normally brings. This would include either the destruction of the insurgency or its reduction to a level where it was merely a small anoyance, easily controllable by indigenous forces.

If you can't understand that as a criterion for success, then so be it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:41 am
Brandon wrote
Quote:
Success, to me, would be for American troops to leave Iraq in a sufficiently stable condition to maintain its democracy by itself, with only the ordinary difficulties that democracy normally brings. This would include either the destruction of the insurgency or its reduction to a level where it was merely a small anoyance, easily controllable by indigenous forces.

Yes that would be a win for our side. The problem of course as things now stand there is not a snowballs chance in hell that those aims will be achieved. We are more likely to leave Iraq with our tail between our legs.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:45 am
au1929 wrote:
Brandon wrote
Quote:
Success, to me, would be for American troops to leave Iraq in a sufficiently stable condition to maintain its democracy by itself, with only the ordinary difficulties that democracy normally brings. This would include either the destruction of the insurgency or its reduction to a level where it was merely a small anoyance, easily controllable by indigenous forces.

Yes that would be a win for our side. The problem of course as things now stand there is not a snowballs chance in hell that those aims will be achieved. We are more likely to leave Iraq with our tail between our legs.

I think we ought to try.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:49 am
kuvasz wrote:
C.I., dont play a suckers game. you will be forced to document every single item and he is unwilling do the same for his position, and even then, as this weirdo just did to you, your documentation will be cast a side with a "so what?"

best force your adversary explain his definition of "winning" in iraq, how it relates to what was purported the reason bush invaded, have him define the measurement for "winning" and provide relavent benchmarks that are quantifyable. if he can't do that, then any claim of "winning" in iraq is just so much smoke being blown up your a$$ .

i just think the guy is intellectually incapable of admitting he was snookered, you are wasting your breath and time on the likes of such. a lot of ego is riding on this for him and to admit he is wrong is simply too much for such a fragile mind.

give it up. you wil get more objectivity from your dog.

Well said, Kuvasz. Well said!

I like one line so much...I've gotta repeat it and extend it:

[...I just think the guy is intellectually incapable of admitting he was snookered...[/quote]

I think that is the position so many people who initially supported this horrible misadventure are in.

Too bad that!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 09:03 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
C.I., dont play a suckers game. you will be forced to document every single item and he is unwilling do the same for his position, and even then, as this weirdo just did to you, your documentation will be cast a side with a "so what?"

best force your adversary explain his definition of "winning" in iraq, how it relates to what was purported the reason bush invaded, have him define the measurement for "winning" and provide relavent benchmarks that are quantifyable. if he can't do that, then any claim of "winning" in iraq is just so much smoke being blown up your a$$ .

i just think the guy is intellectually incapable of admitting he was snookered, you are wasting your breath and time on the likes of such. a lot of ego is riding on this for him and to admit he is wrong is simply too much for such a fragile mind.

kuvasz wrote:
...I just think the guy is intellectually incapable of admitting he was snookered...

I think that is the position so many people who initially supported this horrible misadventure are in.

Too bad that!

Speaking of intellectual capabilities, check out my correction of his deplorable English, which, apparently, your sensibilities were too course to notice in your first reading.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 09:29 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
This would include either the destruction of the insurgency or its reduction to a level where it was merely a small anoyance, easily controllable by indigenous forces.

That would be impossible, they will always find more recruits.

The U.S. forces have failed to defeat the insurgency, rather than hunting down insurgents they should be focusing on security and opportunity for the Iraqi people, thereby denying insurgents the support they need. and that will take years, and hundreds of billions of dollars and ofcourse us casualty. Are the American people/soldiers willing to pay that price? and is it worth it ?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 09:39 am
From the figures recently quoted there are approximately 30,000 insurgents with only about 3% from out of country. That IMO would make it a civil war. Not a few insurgence trying to upset the apple cart.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 10:27 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Success, to me, would be for American troops to leave Iraq in a sufficiently stable condition to maintain its democracy by itself. with only the ordinary difficulties that democracy normally brings. This would include either the destruction of the insurgency or its reduction to a level where it was merely a small anoyance

I think they maybe working on other plans, you nearly got it right.

Iraq must not be seen as a failure : Guardian Unlimited

Quote:
Diplomats in the Foreign Office are working frantically in private on what they refer to as the "exit ticket" from Iraq.

In contrast to the official line that British forces will remain until the job is done, the Foreign Office wants to engineer a set of circumstances in which both Britain and the US can begin to reduce troops next year. But the speed with which unrest and violence is growing is making this harder.

Quote:
Ambitions for Iraq are being drastically scaled down in private. A Foreign Office source said the goal of the US administration to turn Iraq into a beacon of democracy in the Middle East had long ago been shelved. "We will settle for leaving behind an Iraqi democracy that is creaking along," the source said.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 10:50 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

kuvasz wrote:
...I just think the guy is intellectually incapable of admitting he was snookered...

Too bad that!

Speaking of intellectual capabilities, check out my correction of his deplorable English, which, apparently, your sensibilities were too course to notice in your first reading.

If you would like me to see that you are low enough to actually handle a post like that by "correction of his deplorable English"...I am willing to do so.

Please furnish a link to the posting.

I could not find it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 11:01 am
kuvasz and et al, Thanks for your support and head's up on what this guy does - all personal opinion without one shred of evidence to support it. I'll be talking to my dog from now on. LOL
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 11:52 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
kuvasz wrote:

kuvasz wrote:

Too bad that!

If you would like me to see that you are low enough to actually handle a post like that by "correction of his deplorable English"...I am willing to do so.

Please furnish a link to the posting.

I could not find it.

Normally I wouldn't be low enough, but since both of you gratuitously insulted my intellectual abilities, I thought it fair to respond in kind. Odd that you two would do something to me, and then call me "low" for doing the same thing back. It's the first post on the previous page.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:05 pm
Wow...that was a very fast edit, Brandon. You can save time by editing your comments before you post them...rather than posting them and then editing them.

(For those of you wondering about the above comment, Brandon originally posted:

Quote:
Normally I wouldn't be low enough, but since both of you gratuitously insulted my intellectual abilities, I thought it fair to respond in kind. Odd that you two would be something to me, and then call me "low" for doing the same thing back. It's the first post on the previous page.

As you can see, before I had a chance to post my response, it was changed to:

Quote:
Normally I wouldn't be low enough, but since both of you gratuitously insulted my intellectual abilities, I thought it fair to respond in kind. Odd that you two would do something to me, and then call me "low" for doing the same thing back. It's the first post on the previous page.

No big thing...I just wanted to acknowledge Brandon for being on his toes.)

In any case, I see that you apparently were referring to the several (sic)'s you entered into his comments.

Yup...he made some mistakes.

Yup...it is low to mention them

Thanks for directing me to the lowness.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:11 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Wow...that was a very fast edit, Brandon. You can save time by editing your comments before you post them...rather than posting them and then editing them.

(For those of you wondering about the above comment, Brandon originally posted:

Quote:
Normally I wouldn't be low enough, but since both of you gratuitously insulted my intellectual abilities, I thought it fair to respond in kind. Odd that you two would be something to me, and then call me "low" for doing the same thing back. It's the first post on the previous page.

As you can see, before I had a chance to post my response, it was changed to:

Quote:

No big thing...I just wanted to acknowledge Brandon for being on his toes.)

In any case, I see that you apparently were referring to the several (sic)'s you entered into his comments.

Yup...he made some mistakes.

Yup...it is low to mention them

Thanks for directing me to the lowness.

Explain to me, please, how it is inappropriate to respond to a post in which a person specifically and explicitly insults my intellect by insulting his?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:25 pm
I'll do it by telling you a story...a parable if you will.

There was a guy who exited his subway stop each morning with a friend of his...and each morning, the guy would stop to buy a newspaper at a kiosk just up from the subway landing.

The fellow who ran the kiosk was a surly man...never had a smile of a kind word for anyone who bought a paper, magazine or the stuff sold in those kiosks.

Yet each morning...the guy would thank the kiosk proprietor for his change...and say, "Have a good day."

His friend...after seeing this go on for a long while finally said, "What is it with you? Why do you buy your newpaper here...and why are you so nice to that guy when he is so nasty to you?"

And the first guy said, "I buy the paper here because it is the most convenient newspaper kiosk on the way to the office. And I am nice to him because I am not going to allow someone else to decide how I am going to conduct myself."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:28 pm
Clicked the wrong button...and submitted before editing. Here is the way the post should have come up:

There was a guy who exited his subway stop each morning with a friend of his...and each morning, the guy would stop to buy a newspaper at a kiosk just up from the subway landing.

The fellow who ran the kiosk was a surly man...never had a smile or a kind word for anyone who bought a paper, magazine or any of the stuff sold in those kiosks.

Yet each morning...the guy buying the newspaper would graciously thank the kiosk proprietor for his change...and say, "Have a good day."

His friend...after seeing this go on for a long while finally said, "What is it with you? Why do you buy your newpaper here...and why are you so nice to that guy when he is so nasty to you?"

And the first guy said, "I buy the paper here because it is the most convenient newspaper kiosk on the way to the office. And I am nice to him because I am not going to allow someone else to decide how I am going to conduct myself."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 01:14 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Clicked the wrong button...and submitted before editing. Here is the way the post should have come up:

The fellow who ran the kiosk was a surly man...never had a smile or a kind word for anyone who bought a paper, magazine or any of the stuff sold in those kiosks.

Yet each morning...the guy buying the newspaper would graciously thank the kiosk proprietor for his change...and say, "Have a good day."

Your point is valid, and I agree with it completely, but I have not succeeded in implementing these truths globally throughout my entire life yet, although I do think about them. I have a thread around here somewhere on this subject....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 01:16 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Explain to me, please, how it is inappropriate to respond to a post in which a person specifically and explicitly insults my intellect by insulting his?

Ummm... "Well he did it first" is the kind of excuse I'd expect from a third-grader. Grow up Brandon.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 01:16 pm
Frank, I thought this an interesting discussion of the idea you raise, but it aroused more misunderstanding than interest:

Thread
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 01:17 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Ummm... "Well he did it first" is the kind of excuse I'd expect from a third-grader. Grow up Brandon.

I regard you as a completely dishonest and loathsome person, and will certainly not take anything you post seriously. You are not in a position to correct anyone about behavior.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 01:46 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Frank, I thought this an interesting discussion of the idea you raise, but it aroused more misunderstanding than interest:

Thread

It is amazing how quickly things get off track, isn't it, Brandon.

You made a valient effort in that thread...but obviously there were some buttons pushed.

Frankly, I'm not sure which I would choose as getting the best cooperation...and I wish "strengths of character" were the defining cause of cooperation. But sometimes it is something as innocuous and inconsequential as which teacher is the better dresser...or which teacher is more likely to like a particular kind of music.

I guess it is possible to think of the world as screwed-up.

I happen to be one of those lucky people who think life is great...spectacular even. I do so many interesting and enjoyable things every day....I wish there were more hours available.

Glad you saw the message in my little story.

Use it some day if the occasion arises.
0 Replies