There's a white spot on my cervix

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:49 pm
Today I went for a PAP smear/pelvic exam, which I haven't done (very bad me) in, well, about 5 years? It cost $160 and we have no health insurance.

The Nurse Practitioner who did the exam said there was a white spot on the outside of my cervix. She said, "I've never seen anything like it."

After looking on the internet, I found LOTS of pictures of white spots on cervixes, all of them basically cancer. Now I'm almost sorry I looked! Gads, it was scary.

I have an appointment with a gynecologist in 7 days (the referral sheet said ASAP). The PAP smear results should be back by that time.

I've had, I think, 2 other pelvic exams in my lifetime, and I'm about to turn 44.

Some of you already know I was severely sexually abused as a child, from which I got Herpes (at about 4 years of age). I asked the Nurse Practitioner if this could be a scar from sexual abuse, and she said someone else probably would have seen it by now if that's what it was. With only 2 previous pelvic exams, this is possible, but maybe it's just a false hope. Or maybe a Herpes sore? I haven't had ANY symptoms of Herpes, believe it or not, since I was about 9 years old.

I've no pain and appear to be perfectly healthy. I mean, my BP is 120/70 & my heart rate is 60. I eat lots of fresh veggies and spoil myself with nummy health foods when I can afford it. Even my weight is just about perfect for my height.

My big flaw: I smoke. I figure, if this doesn't get me to quit smoking, nothing will! I already read on the internet a study where the size of such "cervical lesions" reduced when women stopped smoking.

Just wanted to share, as of course I'm worried. Even worse, my husband (with whom I get along very well) will be going out of town for a week for his parents' 50th wedding anniversary, 2 days after my gyn appointment. Wah!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 36,835 • Replies: 92
No top replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
BK, i will be thinking good thoughts for you. i surely hope it isn't anything bad. big hugs...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:02 pm
Geez, I'm sorry to hear about all of that. I don't have any advice except what you are already doing so I'll just say I'm here to listen and please keep us posted. You must be very worried.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:08 pm
Please keep us posted. We'll be waiting with you.
Sending you hugs, girl.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
Aw gee, thanks, my friends.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
BK - Another shoulder for support. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.

I thought cervical cancer was caused by the hepolovirus (sp?) that causes genital warts. Never heard of it being related to herpes, but I'm not really up on all that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 03:51 pm
Oh dear.

I hope it is nothing at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:14 pm
Papilloma virus, I think you mean, Squinney.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 04:58 pm
Boris Kitten--

Seven days is ASAP? Ugh. People with vivid imaginations and research talents shouldn't have to wait for 24 hours, let alone seven days.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:13 pm
Hi Squinney, hope Bear is well these days...

I mentioned the Herpes since I was thinking it might be a Herpes sore? Faint hope. Frankly I've never heard of anyone who has Herpes with virtually no symptoms, but also I guess there are few people who caught it so young.

Been looking at my herbal books, and 2 herbs for the dreaded C-word grow on my property. I've even used them both before: White Lily root, (Nymphaea odorata, a specific for uterine cancer), and Pokeweed root (with great care for dosage, it's not an herb for beginners.)

Will do a bit of harvesting tomorrow, which always cheers me up. I always apologize & explain what I'm doing to the plants. I'm not sure why, really.

Love ya, Bunny, Osso, Freeduck, Squinney, Dragon.... and all my other pals here. You're such Good Folk.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:19 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Boris Kitten--

Seven days is ASAP? Ugh. People with vivid imaginations and research talents shouldn't have to wait for 24 hours, let alone seven days.

Hold your dominion.

Hi Noddy!

You know, the people at the Dr's office were shocked and amazed that they got me in (to this Gyn Center) in seven days.... they said it's usually 2 months or more! They said they only got me in "so soon" because the place had a cancellation.

Cripes! I really dislike the US medical establishment. Even more so after reading here about stuff like Bear's experiences. Ugh, don't get me started!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:32 pm
Cripes indeed!

Hmmmm... No idea one way or the other, but one thing to keep in mind is that even if it IS cancer (knock on wood), if it's a mere spot it can prolly just be excised and that's that. My mom had cervical cancer discovered very early when she was pregnant with me, got the spot (or whatever it was) off, and no problems (knock on wood again) 34 years on.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:44 pm
BorrisKitty - this is scary! I know next to nothing about cervical irregularities or cancer, but I'm here and I'm listening..... I'm also sorry to learn of the abuse you suffered.

QUIT SMOKING NOW!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 05:54 pm
Yes, that's what I meant, Osso. Starts with Pap...Duh! I wasn't thinking clearly.

I'm horrid about going to the Gyn doc, too so while I understand not having regular paps I'm glad you kept your appointment, BK.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:37 pm
Soz, I've read some reassuring things to that effect, they just cut it out and voila! All gone. But of course she couldn't see inside the cervix.

I'll only be able to afford so many Tests, and the Gyn already knows I'm "Self-Pay". Luckily they can't MAKE me have tests unless I really think I need them. But the Gyn visit and probably a few tests will be necessary even to me.

Hey Squinney, get thee to a pelvic exam! Actually I had a much less painful & humiliating experience with a female examiner... all my other pelvics have been by males, and frankly, they just don't know how it feels. I told her I've had speculums so cold they were painful, and she said "Me too!" At least these nasty devices are plastic now, not metal.

Littlek, and here I thought you knew already! I don't talk about it much (the abuse), after talking about it to psychiatrists and therapists ad nauseum for, oh, almost 20 years altogether.

I have periods of 6 months or more in childhood that I don't recall at all, but I remember things much earlier than humans are supposed to be able to remember, like learning to walk, because they were so traumatic.

My last therapist I had for 7 or 8 years... he told me at the end I "Made it all up." Gads, can you imagine? I asked him why he thought I would make all of that up, and he replied, "Shitty therapy." Ha, look who's talking!

Actually he just believed what he read in the media, that all repressed memories were "false," and very unfortunately applied it to me, despite corroboration from 2 surviving siblings (I had 4 siblings once, 2 are dead, but not from cancer).

So I haven't seen a therapist since (about 10 years now). And I'm still really angry about all the False Memory claims, since many of them are made by parents who Really Did abuse their kids and are looking for an "out." Oh no, now you got me started! I'll just stop here!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:43 pm
Sorry to hear about your worries Boris Kitten. I also do not have health insurance. Are you and your husband actually married or just living together? It is better if you are not married because you will qualify for medical assistance as a single woman with low income. As a married couple they will combine your income and you will probably not qualify. In NY your income has to under $8,000 for a single person to qualify for medical aid. If you have any personal savings - hide it. Withdraw it and put it "in the mattress", even if it is just a few hundred dollars. You will be disqualifed if you have any savings or if you own property. If this turns into your worst fears you need to talk to the financial aid people at the hospital and let them know you are willing to pay for treatment - it just might be $50 a month for the rest of your natural life. Also - Be very careful with the poke root, it can cause liver damage. And yes, this is a good time to stop smoking, no matter what the outcome. Wishing you well...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:44 pm
BorisKitten--

Compared to vicious, ongoing sexual abuse, cancer of the cervix is a walk in the park--a muddy walk, but certainly not a Doomed Journey to the End of the World.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:51 pm
There are a bunch of cancer survivors here on awk, but they are usually a quiescent group unless it comes up in conversation. I am among them although a general loudmouth.

Money matters. Do not forego tests et al because of money.
Get the tests and the treatment, period, whatever it is.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:52 pm
Hi Green Witch! Yeah, we're actually married. Too bad for us! And we own our home (well, we pay the mortgage on it), but it's worth very little anyway, even with our 2.5 acres. Our 2 cars are worth a few hundred bucks each.

I think our local hospital has some program where if you can prove you're really poor, they'll waive many of their charges. But frankly I wouldn't go there for any kind of surgery, having worked there briefly as a CNA once. There's another hospital about 30+ miles away that's better. But I figure we'll worry about that disaster when it arrives, eh?

And you and LittleK are right about stopping smoking. Maybe not until after I see the Gyn next week, though.

I know that worrying will only cost me, and not help me. I've used meditation before to forget, even for a few moments, negative thoughts such as these. In fact, I think I'll go do that now. It really helps. But I won't have any Real relief until I know more, next week or probably even later.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:54 pm
BK ~

So sorry to hear about this. You're doing the right thing by getting it taken care of. I'm keeping positive thoughts that whatever it is can be easily removed and that will be the end of it.

Like Soz' mom, I had a cervical spot surgically removed about 6 years ago and haven't had an abnormal pap since. It was an in-office procedure, piece of cake, and then it was over with.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
0 Replies