Why does the Bible get misinterpreted so often????

djbt

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 01:25 pm
RexRed wrote:
djbt wrote:
Gestalt wrote:
Disasters happen because of sin. People die because sin was let into this world. Why do you think Hurricane Katrina happened? It's because of what we led sin onto this earth that disasters happen at all.

Let me get this straight:

1) Sin = defiance of God. (premise)
2) Hurricane Katrina is the result of sin. (premise)
3) Hurricanes Katrina is the result of the defiance of God. (from 1 and 2)
4) God kills people when he is defied (from 3)

RedRex - is that the good God or the bad God? It seems difficult to tell the difference...

God does not lift a finger people control the wind themselves and take the lives of the innocent with them...

God saves lives remember?

No, I don't remember God saving any lives. When did He do that?

And how, exactly, do people control the winds? Control is a pretty strong word...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 01:29 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Linkat wrote:
D. Bartlett: "Nobody I know, even the most conservative, is saying homosexuals should be executed.

Well I can think of one "body" that does say homosexuals should be killed for their activities....the god of the Bible.

The god of the Bible is rather straight forward about its feelings in that regard. The god of the Bible says quite plainly that anyone engaging in such acitivity ought to be put to death. The god of the Bible quite plainly says that such activity is an "abomination."

That is a pretty important "body" to Christians and Jews...wouldn't you say?

Correction Frank... the GodS of the Bible...

2Co 4:4
In whom the god [theos] of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Comment
You will never understand Frank until you realize there are TWO Gods in the Bible... and only one TRUE God...

You seem to not be interested in the two Gods just throwing around bigoted statements. Adulterers were stoned as homosexuals too... they received an equal measure of punishment.

Where was mercy where was liberty where was grace in the OT?

They were tied up by the sins of Adam and Eve and it was the LORD Jesus Christ that redeemed, sanctified, justified and made us righteous so the the true God could reign supreme spiritually...

And of course...you know when each god is talking...so you can tell which passages belong to which god.

How very convenient.

I've asked you several times to explain how you know which god is talking. You've never really answered.

Why not do it now.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1Co 12:10 - Show Context
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

comment
Those born of the spirit of the one true God are given these manifestations to operate toward the profit of a more abundant life...

Joh 10:10 - Show Context
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 01:38 pm
djbt wrote:
RexRed wrote:
djbt wrote:
Gestalt wrote:
Disasters happen because of sin. People die because sin was let into this world. Why do you think Hurricane Katrina happened? It's because of what we led sin onto this earth that disasters happen at all.

Let me get this straight:

1) Sin = defiance of God. (premise)
2) Hurricane Katrina is the result of sin. (premise)
3) Hurricanes Katrina is the result of the defiance of God. (from 1 and 2)
4) God kills people when he is defied (from 3)

RedRex - is that the good God or the bad God? It seems difficult to tell the difference...

God does not lift a finger people control the wind themselves and take the lives of the innocent with them...

God saves lives remember?

No, I don't remember God saving any lives. When did He do that?

And how, exactly, do people control the winds? Control is a pretty strong word...

People create their own hell... sometimes their hell spills out over on the life of the innocent...

Like a game of football... you may step out of bounds and the umpire may not see it but don't depend that the umpire will always be looking in the other direction...
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:10 pm
The criticism in the Bible of homosexuality appears to be aimed at temple homosexual practices, not homosexuality in general. That would make sense since the authors of Leviticus were trying to convert their people to a new type of religion.

http://www.worldpolicy.org/globalrights/sexorient/bible-gay.html
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:19 pm
Quote:
RexRed wrote:

And of course...you know when each god is talking...so you can tell which passages belong to which god.

How very convenient.

I've asked you several times to explain how you know which god is talking. You've never really answered.

Why not do it now.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1Co 12:10 - Show Context
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

comment
Those born of the spirit of the one true God are given these manifestations to operate toward the profit of a more abundant life...

Joh 10:10 - Show Context
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Well...I guess you are not ever going to tell us how you know when it is your god speaking...or the other one.

I didn't think you would!

Perhaps I can interest you in telling us how you know there are only two gods...and not three...or seven...or twenty-six?

And then...you can tell us how you know when a particular passage is coming from your god...and when it is coming from one of the others.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:21 pm
xingu wrote:
The criticism in the Bible of homosexuality appears to be aimed at temple homosexual practices, not homosexuality in general. That would make sense since the authors of Leviticus were trying to convert their people to a new type of religion.

http://www.worldpolicy.org/globalrights/sexorient/bible-gay.html

Great...IF you are one of the people who think the Bible is nothing more than ancient Hebrews putting their mores and sensibilities into the mouth of a god they invented for the purpose.

But I am asking the Christians about these passages...and the Christians don't think that way. They have to treat the passages as the Bible presents them...

...THE WORDS of god to Moses while everyone was still in the desert escaping from Egypt!
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 02:25 pm
I think Christians read into the Bible what they want and not what it meant to its audiences. The Bible wasn't written for us. That's why most all of "God's laws" are meaningless today.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:46 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:
why don't you do a comparison of how many lives XXXXX organizations have saved because of their ideology versus how many lives Christian organizations have saved because of their beliefs. I'm willing to do this with you. You identify the XXXXX-professing organizations (of course, they must truly profess XXXXX as the root of their benevolence), and I will do the same for Christian organizations. Then we'll get estimates of lives saved and compare. What do you say, are you game?

Well, well, I see the typical Christian vanity and pride emerging. I don't know how many times I've heard Christians brag about how they have a monopoly on morality, charity and saving souls and lives.

Where is this coming from? I never claimed Christians have a monopoly on morality, charity, or saving souls and lives. All I said was that Christians have had a much greater beneficial impact on human society than any other religion or ideology (acts which far outweigh the few errant so-called Christians that have killed, persecuted, or tortured other Christians). I am willing to concede the point if you give me solid evidence to the contrary.

xingu wrote:
No human can be happy until they find Christ.
No one can know morality, right from wrong, unless they are Christian.
No one cares about others unless they are believers in Christ.
All souls will be lost, wandering around in their misery and loneliness, until they find Christ.

I am a deist. I follow no religion. For me there is one God for all. It matters little to God what one's faith is. If it did he would not be any better than a prejudiced religious fanatic.

I don't understand how you call yourself a deist. What does or did your diety ever do for anyone? Did he create us? Does he perform miracles? Does he participate in our lives in any way, shape or fashion?

xingu (modifed by slkshock7) wrote:

I don't believe in the Bible because I don't believe in a God that kills and slaughters innocent people. Blah, blah, blah...

This thought is overdone on A2k so I won't respond. I have before in other threads if you're interested in my position.

xingu wrote:

God gives souls to all faiths and races. That's enough for me to see that God does not discriminate or play favorites. We are all equal in God's eyes and are treated equally, regardless of our faith or behavior. A lot of Christians, in their prideful beliefs, think they will be favored by God because of their faith. Perhaps they think they will be give a house by a street paved with gold and silver, hopefully not to close to one of the pearly gates as there will be a lot of traffic.

Nice sentiment, but entirely illogical. So God doesn't discriminate between a serial rapist and Mother Theresa?!!!?? Your God is not a God, he's a mushroom...totally irrelevant, not worthy of being called a deity.

xingu wrote:

You like to think that atheist and agnostics don't care about morality, saving or helping people. Click on the sites below. There you will see that they care about helping people as much as any prideful Christian.

http://www.atheists.org/

http://www.infidels.org/

I never said atheists or humanists didn't care about helping people. I'm talking about impact...Are you suggesting these organizations provide as much money, people and time to help others as Christian relief organizations do?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:34 pm
Quote:
Where is this coming from? I never claimed Christians have a monopoly on morality, charity, or saving souls and lives.

No but people of your ilk have. This we are so much better then you theme is one I have always run across and your comments reek of it.

Quote:
All I said was that Christians have had a much greater beneficial impact on human society than any other religion or ideology (acts which far outweigh the few errant so-called Christians that have killed, persecuted, or tortured other Christians).

Oh really. What beneficial impact?

Quote:
This thought is overdone on A2k so I won't respond. I have before in other threads if you're interested in my position.

I'm not familiar with the A2k you speak of or your comments on other threads.

Quote:
Nice sentiment, but entirely illogical. So God doesn't discriminate between a serial rapist and Mother Theresa?!!!?? Your God is not a God, he's a mushroom...totally irrelevant, not worthy of being called a deity.

So your God does discriminate? OK, which Christian God do you believe in. Some will send Mother Teresa to hell. There are so many Christian Gods out there it's difficult to speak to Christians because you don't know which God they created.

For me God is of pure love (and yes Frank, I know you don't buy this). What we do here on earth is something we will all have to relive when we return to God, regardless of what you have done or believed. The pain we give to others is the pain we will feel when we have our life review.

Hating someone and wanting to inflict torture and pain on them for whatever they have done here on earth is not a godly feeling but a human one, a feeling of hate, intolerance and vengeance. I know you love your barbaric, selfish, vengeful and jealous God but I expect something better then an angry human.

Quote:
What does or did your diety ever do for anyone? Did he create us? Does he perform miracles? Does he participate in our lives in any way, shape or fashion?

Oh boy; some more childish holier then thou stuff. My God did more then you God. Nya, nya, poo, poo.

Since my God doesn't write books bragging about how he slaughters people, put them on guilt trips then claims to have done so much for them by morphing itself into a human, I guess I'll have to answer that question with a I don't know what he has done or not done. It's not important. For me he just exists. I don't need cheap miracles, the Black Death, God's chosen slaughtering others or sending killer hurricanes to remind us of his power.

Walking on water is easy. It is what we do for a living. You just have to know where the rocks are. Step from rock to rock, and those on the shore will think you are performing a miracle.
― advice from professional prophets

"Indeed, Mr. Jefferson, what could be invented to debase the
ancient Christianism, which Greeks, Romans, Hebrews and Christian
factions, above all the Catholics, have not fraudulently imposed
upon the public? Miracles after miracles have rolled down in
torrents, wave succeeding wave in the Catholic church, from the
Council of Nice, and long before, to this day." --- John Adams,
to Jefferson, 3 December 1813

Quote:
...Are you suggesting these organizations provide as much money, people and time to help others as Christian relief organizations do?

Now this is really ridiculous. Do you know how many more Christians there are then atheist? Of course they're going to give more.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:44 pm
xingu wrote:
No but people of your ilk have. This we are so much better then you theme is one I have always run across and your comments reek of it.

xingu wrote:
I think you had better take a closer look at your fellow Christians. It is they that point out mistakes in belief and errors in interpretation of the Bible of other Christians more vehemently and scornfully then agnostics and atheists.

Look at the history of your religion. See how many Christians have been persecuted, tortured and killed by other Christians because their belief did not agree with another's.

Who's got the "holier than thou" attitude? I acknowledge that morality is not exclusive of Christians, but you paint all Christians with a wide brush of "misinterpretation" and mutual "persecution, torture, and killing" of fellow Christians. Kind of the kettle calling the pot black, don't you think?

xingu wrote:
What beneficial impact?

Shall I start with the 17,000,000 folks helped by the Salvation Army? Or the 70,000,000 helped each year by World Vision? Or the thousands helped by Mother Theresa's organization in India?

A2K = Able 2 Know -- This forum...other threads

xingu wrote:
So your God does discriminate? OK, which Christian God do you believe in. Some will send Mother Teresa to hell. There are so many Christian Gods out there it's difficult to speak to Christians because you don't know which God they created.

For me God is of pure love (and yes Frank, I know you don't buy this). What we do here on earth is something we will all have to relive when we return to God, regardless of what you have done or believed. The pain we give to others is the pain we will feel when we have our life review.

Hating someone and wanting to inflict torture and pain on them for whatever they have done here on earth is not a godly feeling but a human one, a feeling of hate, intolerance and vengeance. I know you love your barbaric, selfish, vengeful and jealous God but I expect something better then an angry human.

Of course, my God discriminates. If he didn't he would not be just. Does not a good judge discriminate between the innocent and guilty? What would this world be like without discrimination between innocent and guilty (good and evil)?

Your position seems somewhat self contradictory. You argue against a judging God, but readily admit that we will ourselves relive the pain we inflict on others while here on earth. Is this something we will voluntarily submit to and self-inflict?????
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:01 pm
Quote:
I acknowledge that morality is not exclusive of Christians, but you paint all Christians with a wide brush of "misinterpretation" and mutual "persecution, torture, and killing" of fellow Christians. Kind of the kettle calling the pot black, don't you think?

No, I don't paint all Christians of the same color. Just those who think they're better then others, like you. Your not better. Your religion is not better. Your Bible is not better. Your created God is not better.

Quote:
Shall I start with the 17,000,000 folks helped by the Salvation Army? Or the 70,000,000 helped each year by World Vision? Or the thousands helped by Mother Theresa's organization in India?

So your saying Hindus, Muslims and other non-Christian religions don't help others? My, but what ignorance and arrogance do we have here.

If all you know is the Christian religion then it makes sense that you would be ignorant of any other religion, their organizations and charities.

Again I see you taking the holier then thou position I see in many conservative Christians.

Quote:
Your position seems somewhat self contradictory. You argue against a judging God, but readily admit that we will ourselves relive the pain we inflict on others while here on earth. Is this something we will voluntarily submit to and self-inflict?????

Life is a learning experience for our souls. We learn by our mistakes. When we feel the pain we caused others we see our mistakes. We learn and when we return we remember.

That's why God does not discriminate. Casting a soul off into the wilderness, torturing it or killing it (depending on which Christian God you have created for yourself) does not teach it anything.

Love doesn't discriminate. Your God does.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:25 pm
xingu wrote:
So your saying Hindus, Muslims and other non-Christian religions don't help others? My, but what ignorance and arrogance do we have here.

If all you know is the Christian religion then it makes sense that you would be ignorant of any other religion, their organizations and charities.

Again I see you taking the holier then thou position I see in many conservative Christians.

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said that Hindus, Muslims, or other non-Christian religions don't help others. You questioned whether Christians had "beneficial impact". I answered your question by listing several Christian organizations that help millions of people annually. That's all...there was no holier than thou attitude expressed (other than your stereotype of me).

xingu wrote:
Life is a learning experience for our souls. We learn by our mistakes. When we feel the pain we caused others we see our mistakes. We learn and when we return we remember.

xingu wrote:
What we do here on earth is something we will all have to relive when we return to God, regardless of what you have done or believed. The pain we give to others is the pain we will feel when we have our life review.

So what is it? Do we relive pain during "our life review"? Or is it realtime in this life "when we feel the pain we caused others"? I can see why Frank disagrees with you. Your beliefs are incoherent. Maybe you should take a clue from us Christians and write a book. Might help to put your thoughts on paper. You might avoid some self-contradictions.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:37 pm
1John 4:7-8 Beloved, let us love one another for love is of God: and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Interesting, that phrase....every one that loveth is born of God...Jesus was born of God. Does that mean we become like Jesus when we love? Jesus was resurrected. Is that what it means to be born again?

Some Christians say that christianity is finding Jesus within ourselves and bringing him out in who we are. I have heard testimony of people's lives being changed by the fruit of the spirit as they turn to Jesus. They go from bitter, angry, bored, and depressed to joyful, peaceful, gentle, loving, contented, etc., all the attributes and qualities that Jesus embodies. (Gal.5:22) It seems like a good thing to eat the fruit of the spirit.

...Rom 13;8-10.. he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet, and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Most major religions contain some form of the golden rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (I listed some of those passages in my post on Al Quaida a while back.)

The bible says we are all sinners. This acknowledgement, I believe, is what makes christianity different than all those other religions that demand adherence to the law. All kinds of autrocities can be committed by people in the name of righteousness and then justified because, after all, they are "right". But if nobody is right, that is, no human being is right, then which one of us can stand in judgement of another? Who is justified to throw stones at another? There can be forgiveness for faults because we cannot judge others. How can we hold others accountable for the fact that they are sinners and not hold ourselves accountable to that same standard? By forgiving others we find forgiveness for ourselves. Matt6:14-15 Jesus forgives. With forgiveness we can have peace. Members of those religions that center on "rightness" can have no forgiveness, there can be no peace. They are either going to be constantly looking over their shoulder waiting for the axe to fall because they are not perfect or else they are going to be doling out their own sense of justice not realizing that they are just as guilty and just as deserving.

The bible says the meek will inherit the earth.

To understand christianity look first to Christ/Jesus. See the humble, not vengeful, person he was.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 11:25 pm
Re: Why does the Bible get misinterpreted so often????
Implicator wrote:

It does sound a bit silly to claim that an all-powerful god wants all people to know it, yet not all people know it.

Then again, maybe it is true that such a god exists, and that knowledge of it is one desire it has, yet it is not the *ultimate* desire it has.

Or, maybe all people *do* know this god, yet they claim they don't.

Lots of possibilities.

I

If God could be quantified, then He would not be Infinite, but finite.

If God could be empirically defined, catalogued and measured ( He = AxBxC ) then he would be no greater than any other thing in the universe.

However, all people have the knowledge of God available to them. The heavens and the earth show His handiwork and tell of His glory so that all are without excuse. But you are correct, Implicator, that they claim they don't know it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:36 am
The "heavens and the earth" show that physics works. Time, energy, mass, and chemistry are real, all else is at best a guess.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:14 am
Re: Why does the Bible get misinterpreted so often????
real life wrote:
Implicator wrote:

It does sound a bit silly to claim that an all-powerful god wants all people to know it, yet not all people know it.

Then again, maybe it is true that such a god exists, and that knowledge of it is one desire it has, yet it is not the *ultimate* desire it has.

Or, maybe all people *do* know this god, yet they claim they don't.

Lots of possibilities.

I

If God could be quantified, then He would not be Infinite, but finite.

If God could be empirically defined, catalogued and measured ( He = AxBxC ) then he would be no greater than any other thing in the universe.

However, all people have the knowledge of God available to them. The heavens and the earth show His handiwork and tell of His glory so that all are without excuse. But you are correct, Implicator, that they claim they don't know it.

And then again...maybe there is no god...and all this supposed "knowledge" of god is nothing more than people deluding themselves.

I find it hilarious that someone can assert they "know" god exists...and consider someone who is acknowledging that he/she does not know whether a god exists or not...is simply making a claim.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:32 am
Frank said.........Here is a passage from the Bible...it is the god of the Bible speaking to Moses:

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be
put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their
lives." Leviticus 20:13

I cannot speak for all agnostics and atheists...but most agnostics and atheists I know are of the opinion that this passage is clear and unambiguous. It indicates a facet of human behavior...identifies that behavior as repugnant to the god of the Bible...an "abominable deed"...and decrees that the penalty for such behavior should be death.

Frank you have to get over this thing you have about homosexuality and acting like it is the only sin God dislikes. He dislikes them all. The wages of sin (all of them) is death.
I took the following joke from the internet. Maybe it will help shed some perspective.

"The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362
admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't
love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision. (Lynn
Lavner)"
362!

The bible says we are all sinners. The bible says we need to confess our sin. We need to admit that we are sinners- not perfect- not in harmony with God.
I use the word imperfect, because that helps me understand how we should not be judgmental of others because we, like them, are imperfect too.
Okay so I know, Frank, you don't like that we are imperfect. If I recall correctly you said God shouldn't have made us imperfect. Well I don't know if he did make us imperfect. I heard a priest talking about this subject this morning and he used the words, in disharmony with God, and maybe that's better than saying we are imperfect- not so judgmental sounding. Maybe by saying we are imperfect it sounds like we somehow have to get perfect and that is impossible (in and of ourselves). Maybe what I need to say is we need to find harmony with God. The priest said that all christians are going to feel not right with God because of this disharmony (not just homosexuals).

Remember, Frank, I told you that the bible says love is the "fulfillment" of the law. It says love means no ill will towards others. In some ways acknowledgment that we are all sinners appears to accomplish just that. I feel that christianity isn't about being perfect, it isn't about being right. You have to let go of those things. Christianity is about growing in love and to do that you have to follow your conscience. I don't think God wants us living a lie. Be gentle, no ill will to others and no ill will toward yourself either. When I realized I could just let perfection go I can't tell you how wonderful that felt. I could just be human and so could others around me- no pious judgements. I could accept God's forgiveness. I feel love is letting go of those things that stand between you and God or you and others. As you grow in love and begin to find purpose for your life then those things that stand between you and God that seem so important or those things that seem like you can't possibly change will lose their importance and you will be able to just let them go. We don't have to beat ourselves or others up over them. Well that's what I feel. I'm no bible expert.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:31 am
auroreII wrote:
Frank said.........Here is a passage from the Bible...it is the god of the Bible speaking to Moses:

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be
put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their
lives." Leviticus 20:13

I cannot speak for all agnostics and atheists...but most agnostics and atheists I know are of the opinion that this passage is clear and unambiguous. It indicates a facet of human behavior...identifies that behavior as repugnant to the god of the Bible...an "abominable deed"...and decrees that the penalty for such behavior should be death.

Frank you have to get over this thing you have about homosexuality and acting like it is the only sin God dislikes. He dislikes them all. The wages of sin (all of them) is death.
I took the following joke from the internet. Maybe it will help shed some perspective.

"The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362
admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't
love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision. (Lynn
Lavner)"
362!

The bible says we are all sinners. The bible says we need to confess our sin. We need to admit that we are sinners- not perfect- not in harmony with God.
I use the word imperfect, because that helps me understand how we should not be judgmental of others because we, like them, are imperfect too.
Okay so I know, Frank, you don't like that we are imperfect. If I recall correctly you said God shouldn't have made us imperfect. Well I don't know if he did make us imperfect. I heard a priest talking about this subject this morning and he used the words, in disharmony with God, and maybe that's better than saying we are imperfect- not so judgmental sounding. Maybe by saying we are imperfect it sounds like we somehow have to get perfect and that is impossible (in and of ourselves). Maybe what I need to say is we need to find harmony with God. The priest said that all christians are going to feel not right with God because of this disharmony (not just homosexuals).

Remember, Frank, I told you that the bible says love is the "fulfillment" of the law. It says love means no ill will towards others. In some ways acknowledgment that we are all sinners appears to accomplish just that. I feel that christianity isn't about being perfect, it isn't about being right. You have to let go of those things. Christianity is about growing in love and to do that you have to follow your conscience. I don't think God wants us living a lie. Be gentle, no ill will to others and no ill will toward yourself either. When I realized I could just let perfection go I can't tell you how wonderful that felt. I could just be human and so could others around me- no pious judgements. I could accept God's forgiveness. I feel love is letting go of those things that stand between you and God or you and others. As you grow in love and begin to find purpose for your life then those things that stand between you and God that seem so important or those things that seem like you can't possibly change will lose their importance and you will be able to just let them go. We don't have to beat ourselves or others up over them. Well that's what I feel. I'm no bible expert.

In the interests of showing goodwill between us...allow me to enthusiastially agree with that last sentence.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:15 am
Aurorell - you state things very beautifully.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 02:03 pm
Quote:
All I said was that Christians have had a much greater beneficial impact on human society than any other religion or ideology (acts which far outweigh the few errant so-called Christians that have killed, persecuted, or tortured other Christians).
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said that Hindus, Muslims, or other non-Christian religions don't help others. You questioned whether Christians had "beneficial impact".

Read what you said;
Quote:
a much greater beneficial impact on human society than any other religion or ideology.

How do you know no other religion or ideology helps others as much as Christians. Do you have the statistics.

Here's a link that shows many Muslim countries pledged more for the tsunami victims, per capita, then America.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/dis_tsu_tot_aid_pac_cap

When the Katrina disaster unfolded Kuwait offered us $500,000,000; Bahrain $5,000,000 and Afghanistan, as poor as it is, offered us $100,000. Cuba and Venezuela offered us help and Bush turned them down.

The reason;
In a statement on Venezuela's and Cuba's offers of assistance, a scholar at a conservative Washington-based think tank, the Heritage Foundation, Stephen Johnson, warned that offers of aid from rogue regimes in the past have served as cover for drumming up support for leftist causes. Mr. Johnson warned not to "let in political opportunists eager to sow discord or probe the coastline for weaknesses in defense."

http://www.nysun.com/article/19761

Quote:
So what is it? Do we relive pain during "our life review"? Or is it realtime in this life "when we feel the pain we caused others"?

I thought I made it rather clear. I believe when we die we all go through a life review. We are shown the good and bad things we have done. We learn by feeling the pain form our errors and the joy from our benefits. We are here to learn. We will come back.

Life is not a test, not a one time right-wrong, go to heaven or go to hell situation as some fundamentalist Bible thumpers would want you to believe. It would be rather stupid of a God to put a soul in the infinite number of situations souls find themselves in when they are born and expect them to select the "correct" religion if they are expected to be saved. Yet that's what many Christians believe. You will be judged by your faith, not words and deeds.

Deism is one God for all. It matters not to God your faith or belief. If your God is so weak that it just can't stand not to be accepted or worshiped then it does not deserve any respect.
0 Replies