Why does the Bible get misinterpreted so often????

Magginkat

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:11 pm
talk72000 wrote:
Guess you have been resurrected.

0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:12 pm
talk72000 wrote:
Guess you have been resurrected.

Dys is just jealous! How would you like to have to wake up and look at THAT face every morning. No wonder he's always grouchy.

Anon
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:13 pm
Oh brother
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:16 pm
Why don't Christians live what they preach?
The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience
Why don't Christians live what they preach?

In spite of the renewal movement's proud claims to miraculous transformation, the polls showed that members of the movement divorced their spouses just as often as their secular neighbors. They beat their wives as often as their neighbors. They were almost as materialistic and even more racist than their pagan friends. The hard-core skeptics smiled in cynical amusement at this blatant hypocrisy. The general population was puzzled and disgusted. Many of the renewal movement's leaders simply stepped up the tempo of their now enormously successful, highly sophisticated promotional programs. Others wept.
This, alas, is roughly the situation of Western or at least American evangelicalism today.

"Scandalous behavior is rapidly destroying American Christianity. By their daily activity, most "Christians" regularly commit treason. With their mouths they claim that Jesus is Lord, but with their actions they demonstrate allegiance to money, sex, and self-fulfillment.

The findings in numerous national polls conducted by highly respected pollsters like The Gallup Organization and The Barna Group are simply shocking. "Gallup and Barna," laments evangelical theologian Michael Horton, "hand us survey after survey demonstrating that evangelical Christians are as likely to embrace lifestyles every bit as hedonistic, materialistic, self-centered, and sexually immoral as the world in general."! Divorce is more common among "born-again" Christians than in the general American population. Only 6 percent of evangelicals tithe. White evangelicals are the most likely people to object to neighbors of another race. Josh McDowell has pointed out that the sexual promiscuity of evangelical youth is only a little less outrageous than that of their nonevangelical peers.

Alan Wolfe, famous contemporary scholar and director of the Boisi Center for Religion and American Public Life, has just published a penetrating study of American religious life. Evangelicals figure prominently in his book. His evaluation? Today's evangelicalism, Wolfe says, exhibits "so strong a desire to copy the culture of hotel chains and popular music that it loses what religious distinctiveness it once had.". Wolfe argues, "The truth is there is increasingly little difference between an essentially secular activity like the popular entertainment industry and the bring-'em-in-at-any-cost efforts of evangelical megachurches."

It is not surprising that George Barna concludes, "Every day, the church is becoming more like the world it allegedly seeks to change.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/bc/2005/001/3.8.html
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:19 pm
Is that the reason that the Bible gets misinterpreted so often?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:19 pm
Oh yeah, her friend, Sam Harris.

[quote]"....without lying to ourselves about the nature of reality"[/quote]

Wise advice, too bad you don't take it Magginkat.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:23 pm
Oh, Sam Harris of the Sam Harris is no friend of religion fame. In The End of Faith, he openly mocks god-belief as primitive superstition and condemns it as a threat to human survival. Harris argues that the great modern religions belong on the scrap heap of mythology, and his zero-tolerance policy applies to religious fundamentalists and moderates alike. One of the great authors of our time Laughing :-D Is this guy for real?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:26 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Oh yeah, her friend, Sam Harris.

[quote]"....without lying to ourselves about the nature of reality"

Wise advice, too bad you don't take it Magginkat.[/b][/color][/quote]

Gee whiz Ms. Angel...... weren't you on another thread saying you didn't want to argue with me??? And here you are apparently wanting to argue about reality.

Ooops never mind... I completely forgot that grand old hypocrisy!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:41 pm
I don't want to argue with you. You seem pretty enamored with Sam Harris; thus your friend.

I happen to think his reality is not reality. Just made the statement to that effect.

You can make your letters bigger. Don't care if you call me a hypocrite. We are all hypocrites, sweetie. There is not a single person in the world who has never commited a hypocritical act. Big deal. It's called being human. It's called making mistakes.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:43 pm
Are the tiny letters a ploy to make us think we are going blind? Laughing
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:43 pm
People here are crazy but they are friendly so Maggi keep on posting.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 11:50 pm
I just know I had to get my bifocals out! Very Happy
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:03 am
Ah come on now Intrepid.... don't go getting all paranoid on me. I was playing with the letters to see if I could read smaller ones if they are in bold print. I can't! BUT The bold print is definitely easier on these old eyes!

Ms. Angel.... don't go getting your undies in a wad. The size of my letters had nothing to do with you. As for Sam, I'm not enamored with him. The guy just happens to turn up some good material to use when engaging fundamentalists in a debate.

I can't help but notice that you had nothing to say about the article from Christianity Today.

Talk 72000.... so everyone is crazy here? Great! I like crazy friendly people.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:27 am
Magginkat,

What did I think of that article? Interesting enough. But, I'd sure like to know how many were polled. Yeah, gotta agree with ya, them Christians, what can I say?

Let's see, just reading my schedule for tomorrow, hang on a sec, ok?

Let's see:

7:00 - 8:00 a.m. - Go next door and tell my New Orleans Katrina evacuee Afro-American neighbors that they gotta move because I just can't tolerate different races in my neighborhood.

8:00 - 9:00 - Meet the married neighbor I am carrying on an affair with.

9:00 - 10:00 - Run down to the courthouse and carry a No Same Sex Marriages sign.

10:00 - 12:00 - Go have lunch at the Chinese restaurant and make sure I let all the little Chinese waitresses and waiters they need to learn how to speak English if they are going to live in this country.

12:00 - 3:00 - Can't miss my soaps! Love all that sex and lie stuff!

3:00 - 5:00 - Do a bit of housework while I think of who's rights I can take away by voting not to have something God says is a sin from being made a law.

5:00 - 6:00 - Cook supper for my hubby!

6:00 - 8:00 - Me and my husband usually go out and slay at least a dozen people in the name of God about this time. It's very good for bonding.

8:00 - 12:00 - Have a wild orgy with the couple down the street. I do hope Bob and Joe are a nice couple.

Are you kidding me, Magginkat? Nothing like a little spin doctoring is there? I am sure I can dig up as many articles as you can showing that Christians are not the way that article says they are.

I am sure there are just as many Christians doing those things as non-Christians. Only thing is, non-Christians don't get called on it. I mean, afterall, they don't believe, right? So, it must be okay for them. :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 03:30 am
Intrepid wrote:
Is that the reason that the Bible gets misinterpreted so often?

No, the ridiculous interpretations of the Bible are the reason that articles like that get written.

Momma Al wrote:
What did I think of that article? Interesting enough. But, I'd sure like to know how many were polled.[/b]

In as much as the article was from the online version of the magazine published by Christianity Today International (founded by Billy Graham), the article safely may be considered not at all likely to have been biased in anti-Christian manner, and in as much as the polls cited were conducted by the Gallup Organization (largest and oldest independent polling firm existing) and the Barna Group (the premier Christian-oriented pollster) it is quite proper to assume the statistical sampling was representative of the subject universe - thats the way both those outfits work, and thats why they get big bucks and big headlines. Whether you like it or not, the conclusions drawn in the article have a statistical probability of accuracy in the vicinity of beyond-reasonable-doubt.

Quote:
I am sure I can dig up as many articles as you can showing that Christians are not the way that article says they are.

Perhaps you can, after all, folks will write just about anything, if it suits their purpose, and certainly so on the internet. However, I submit you will not be able to refute the article, its conclusions, or the polls forming the basis for those conclusions; the problem you will run into is locating credible, academically valid, scientifically accurate counter evidence as opposed to opinion. Its tough to beat real evidence.

Quote:
I am sure there are just as many Christians doing those things as non-Christians. Only thing is, non-Christians don't get called on it. I mean, afterall, they don't believe, right? So, it must be okay for them. :wink:

Straw man fallacy in support of a proposition foundationally dependent upon petitio in principii fallacy - see a lot of that coming from Christian Apologists - gotta wonder what else, if anything, they've got.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 06:46 am
timber-

Is there a poll on divorce among Catholics?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:10 am
At the risk of causing you to raise your hackles again, I suspect that in the case of a lot of these so-called Christians, what you wrote is a lot more truthful than you or they would like to admit.

Thanks for the confession! That was much more colorful than the article I posted. So you are going to call America's favourite evangalist a liar?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:16 am
From the Barna study:

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/baptist_divorce.html

Quote:
The study shows that Catholics have a lower than average rate of divorce, 21 percent.

Some people speculated that Catholics don't divorce as much as other Christians because their church has held the line against divorce, forbidding it absolutely.

But Dr. Ammerman demurs. "There are huge numbers of Catholics in recent years who've had marriages annulled," she said, noting that they would never call themselves divorced because "they've gone to great trouble to stay in good standing with the church."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 02:32 pm
spendi, Yes, the catholic divorce rate is 21 percent. Here's a chart by different christian groups:

Denomination (in order of decreasing divorce rate) % who have been divorced
Non-denominational (small conservative groups; independents) 34%
Baptists 29%
Mainline Protestants 25%
Mormons 24%
Catholics 21%
Lutherans 21%
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 06:21 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Magginkat,

What did I think of that article? Interesting enough. But, I'd sure like to know how many were polled. Yeah, gotta agree with ya, them Christians, what can I say?

Let's see, just reading my schedule for tomorrow, hang on a sec, ok?

Let's see:

7:00 - 8:00 a.m. - Go next door and tell my New Orleans Katrina evacuee Afro-American neighbors that they gotta move because I just can't tolerate different races in my neighborhood.

8:00 - 9:00 - Meet the married neighbor I am carrying on an affair with.

9:00 - 10:00 - Run down to the courthouse and carry a No Same Sex Marriages sign.

10:00 - 12:00 - Go have lunch at the Chinese restaurant and make sure I let all the little Chinese waitresses and waiters they need to learn how to speak English if they are going to live in this country.

12:00 - 3:00 - Can't miss my soaps! Love all that sex and lie stuff!

3:00 - 5:00 - Do a bit of housework while I think of who's rights I can take away by voting not to have something God says is a sin from being made a law.

5:00 - 6:00 - Cook supper for my hubby!

6:00 - 8:00 - Me and my husband usually go out and slay at least a dozen people in the name of God about this time. It's very good for bonding.

8:00 - 12:00 - Have a wild orgy with the couple down the street. I do hope Bob and Joe are a nice couple.

Are you kidding me, Magginkat? Nothing like a little spin doctoring is there? I am sure I can dig up as many articles as you can showing that Christians are not the way that article says they are.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I was just thinking the other day when someone asked my what I had been up to, about telling them apparantly I musta been slaughtering a bunch of innocent people. Laughing
0 Replies