Ear infection?

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:50 am
I'm tired - lethargic. There's no pain.

(I'm with the kids, so I'm distracted a bit)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:00 am
No pain sounds encouraging.

I dunno, I like hamburger's idea of putting your ear on the scanner (heh), barring that I really recommend getting to a doctor. But I seem to remember that your insurance situation makes just going to the doctor complicated. Not sure about that. If it's feasible to get to a doc, git.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:02 am
kris, could still be a middle ear infection. any leakage? not just congested feeling, but actual leakage? i know doctors say no to q-tips for healthy ears, but i have been instructed to clean my ears (carefully!) with a bit of a cotton on something long and thin - thinner than q-tip - to remove the mucus from around the timpany. you don't want it sitting around there. it can granulate and you will turn into me - with a chronic middle ear infection. you may well need antibiotics, otherwise it can turn ugly and haunt you for life. take it from the one who made that mistake ten years ago... i have ear troubles all the time since then. see a doctor, puhleeeeeze!!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:04 am
i rarly have pains with middle ear infections. or just temporary ones. if you feel anything weird in your ear, get thyself checked out stat. it's no fun being messed up inside your head. all sorts of nasty complications could come along.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:06 am
oh, and my middle ear infection turned into a chronic one after about ten days of not doing anything about it. if it's been bothering you for a few days now, i really would not postpone a visit to the doctor. if you want, i'll call laura myself. i feel very strongly about it...can you tell?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:56 am
littlek wrote:
Woke with totally clear ears (had taken a full dose of decongestants at 9:30pm - they were to last 4-6 hours) and a hacking cough. As the cough cleared, my ears started to fill up again. Very strange.

sounds very much like that mess I had in the spring.

Get to a doc.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:37 pm
I had my ears cracked today by a chirpractor. It was odd and not terribly helpful. But it did provide some temp relief.

There's no leakage, no pain, I can kind of taste infection down the back of my throat (I think that's the taste). Sorry to be graphic.

I'll wait until tomorrow and see if there's any improvement.

Thanks all.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:10 pm
"I had my ears cracked today by a chirpractor" ???

did he look into your ear, nose and throat ?
if you can't get to a doctor, i would strongly suggest you at least talk to a pharmacist !!!

speaking from experience (mrs h, ehbeth - and lately myself), i'd say don't fool around with an earinfection - if you have a bad infection it could damaga your balance system - and could cause lots of pain in the long run !
get well ! hbg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:58 pm
littlek, feel better!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:06 pm
So far, today, I am feeling much better. I'm drinking liquids, taking my multi vitamins and watching my symptoms. The plugged feeling only returned mildly to my ears. There is still no pain, my balance seems ok. I'm still tired and there is still some stuffiness in the ears.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:07 pm
Bella, my problems seems so silly compared to your ailments. I've been reading along with your posts - how frustrated you must be!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:00 pm
Shoot, I have a low fever and the ears are starting to fill up again (despite having taken decongestants). If I seem to be hesitating, someone please quote me tomorrow.

I will see the doc on thursday.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:06 pm
Tomorrow is Thursday.

Remember a year and a half ago? I was self-medicating with decongestants. You whacked me to go to the doc. I went.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:29 pm
I know, but no one wants to go to the doc too soon. Today would have been too soon. tomorrow it is. I have the first half of the day off. I sound like a 12 year old boy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:01 pm
Glad you're going to the doc.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:58 am
is today tomorrow yet? remember, you are asking for a chronic middle ear infection. and if that happens, i'll have the right to forever repeat: "i told you so!" and that won't be pretty. i can be very annoying very quickly... go go go go!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:20 am
What time's your appointment???
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:24 am
11am.

Dag, I am so not even close to as bad as you were on that road trip all those years ago.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
i know, but still. if i could turn time back 10 years ago, i wouldn't take any risks and run to the doctor the first day. it didn't start bad, it just turned ugly after a week or so. antibiotics would have prevented the ugly turn, as well as the infection turning chronic. and i wouldn't be resistant to over 20 different kinds of antibiotics as i am now... ugghg...what was i thinking..?!

aaanyhow. they will probably just give you some mild antibiotic drops and you'll be fine. i'm mui glad you are seeing a doctor though. low fever is not a good sign, even if your ear doesn't hurt.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:43 am
Dag, you were a kid, no? It's your parents who weren't thinking (in my opinion).
0 Replies