Ear infection?

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:52 pm
I think I have an ear infection. It only hurts sporadically, but I can hear very little through my right ear (the good one! Wah!). I wanted to ask our experts how to handle it over night tonight (I'll go to the doc tomorrow if it's still a problem). I remember hearing of using a compress, but can't remember if it should be warm or cold (warm I imagine). Warm liquids, too, then? Long, steamy showers? Would decongestants help? I took some earlier this afternoon and didn't get much of a response. So, just advil/tylenol if I end up with more pain?

Thanks for any guidance......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,585 • Replies: 92
No top replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:53 pm
warm I think
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:55 pm
would make sense with what I know of treating other infections.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:00 pm
Warm dry compress.

I'd avoid a shower unless you've got a shower cap and ear plugs so you don't get any water in your ear.

Have you been swimming in any inland water bodies lately?

<where's hamburger? he's the font of ear infection wisdom from his years with mrs. hamburger and me>

Decongestants should help a bit in the early stages - less so as the infection develops (that's my experience with the buggers).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:10 pm
how does one make a dry warm compress? Oh, heating pad?

I swam over 2 weeks ago.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:12 pm
I'd try a heating pad on low - or a hot damp cloth wrapped in plastic and then inside a towel. You don't want to add any moisture to the area.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:18 pm
i found a microwavable herbal wrap thingie.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:20 pm
Are you running a fever? Any other aches or pains (that can't be attributed to your recent hiking event)?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:23 pm
no to both, mac...... actually, I'll take my temp.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:25 pm
I had a sore throat all weekend. The temp is a hair above normal.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:27 pm
Oh, right, you thought you were coming down with a cold right before the hike, I forgot.

How much advil/tylenol have you had today?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:29 pm
none today, but I did have a regular dose of decongestant/cough medicine earlier. didn't do anthing at all.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:29 pm
be careful with HEAT ! you could have an infection that has formed a cyst, heat might burst it. if it pretty painful, i would try and get to a hospital emergency room or evening/night clinic.
any pharmacy you can get to ? pharmacists are often pretty good to give advice on temporary pain relief.
is it pain from pressure/allergy (sinus congestion kind) ? - if so, some VOSOL(check google for VOSOL) eardrops might work. vosol is essentially acetic acid = refined VINEGAR . hope you can get help quickly = tonight !!! it'll likely get worse when you try to lie down ! ACT NOW ! hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:32 pm
littlek : read your last post. since decongestant did not work, it's likely not caused by allergy(hayfever). so it's difficult to guess what it might be.
i'd be pretty careful ! hbg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:32 pm
Thanks Hamburger! It isn't painful, really, unless I turn a certain way (I think certain pressure inside my throat pushes the fluid against my ear drum.....maybe?). I'll be ok until tomorrow.... I think. If not, I'll go to the 24-hour cvs.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:43 pm
littlek : sounds like a problem i have (particularly in the fall - hayfever/allergy). my medication of choice to reduce swelling of membranes is TAVIST/CLEMASTINE (can't get it in canada any more and have to go to watertown/ny every few weeks to pick up a supply. i phoned the drug-company trying to find out why thay no longer sell it in canada. answer : WE DON'T SELL IT IN CANADA ANYMORE ! (?)).
hope you sleep well ! hbg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:45 pm
HB - I have no stuffiness in my nose - no itchy eyes..... <sigh> But, still, your guess is as good as mine

My ear just popped! A little teeny pop.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:48 pm
littlek might remember Tavist. At the Salem get-together I had to rush off to a pharmacy to get TAVIST !!!

It's on my NYC shopping list already.

~~~~~~~~~~

o.k. - Cleo's a dog - but when she had her ear infection in the spring - the routine was something to dry her ear, something to treat the infection, and keeping it warm and dry and away from drafts.

I suspect l'k won't want to wear a hood all night, but some gentle warmth might take the edge off of the discomfort.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:51 pm
I can sleep on that ear (unless that's a bad idea). Keeping it dry might be an issue, as I love my showers. I will dry my ear thoroughly (but gently!) with a qtip when I get out.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:52 pm
Does Cleo know she's a dog? I'm guessing not...
0 Replies