Right behind you, kickycan

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:44 pm
I chose "News". Thanks soz, I suck at these things.

Just held my breath and hit send. I have a strong desire to go hide in the bathroom.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:47 pm
This is a good thing!!!

<patting FreeDuck on the back>

I do remember the feeling, though.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:49 pm
There is a slight sense of relief at not having the secret anymore. There's also a sense of dread of the whole process of people finding out and having to explain again and again, etc...

It'll all be fine, I know, just nervous I guess.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:11 pm
Good job, especially for your courage to hit that "Send" button. Unless the company is totally rotten (or one of those cheesy little here now, gone-tomorrow startups), they will invite you to some form of exit interview before you leave.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:12 pm
Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, it's that exit interview that I'm looking forward to.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:40 pm
Is the exit interview conducted by your manager or the Personnel department? Depending on the size of the company, if it's conducted by Personnel in a large company, they really don't want to hear it, nor do they tend to do anything with the info. Your grapes are considered to be sour and they're thrown in the trash. In these places the Personnel staff are the frontmen for Management.

On the other hand, in a smaller company that cares about it's people, they will certainly want to hear what you have to say. Particularly if you've been a long term valued employee.

In either case I don't think you'll be burning any bridges. It's just a matter of whether the interview is a formality or if they want to make changes with the input of their staff.

Have you heard anything yet?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:40 pm
If they were a smaller company that cared about its people I wouldn't have been job hunting. And anyway, I've got two weeks to complain to anyone who will listen. :wink:

But no, I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm kind of relieved about that too.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:34 pm
I am so happy and so excited for you, FreeDuck! It takes a lot of guts and courage to do what you just did. Awesome, girl! It sounds like the perfect time actually and the perfect circumstances. And you'll be close to some family and that is always a bonus! Wishing you great success and years and years of happiness in your town and new job and new home! Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 12:35 pm
Thanks Lady J.

The director just called me into his office and asked me about my decision to leave. He was very nice and I was very honest. I almost feel bad about it now, but in the end, he thanked me for my honesty. I feel like I just took a major dump.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 12:57 pm
So..
spill the beans..
what did you say?

;-)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:03 pm
Oh god, everything. I told him about everything I didn't like about the company. Very non-personal, and I was complimentary about my current manager, but wasn't afraid to name names when enumerating incompetencies (hell, if competency can be a noun in corporate speak, might as well pluralize it). First manager when I started -- incompetent. He indicates that he knows, and I believe him because he had him bumped down. Second manager, invisible. He's surprised to hear it and writes it down. My pay, inadequate. He knows and they were trying to fix it but, alas, I quit. My rank, too low. Same response. Beef about others coming in at higher rank and lack of communication and lack of recognition and inability to react to employee needs, etc....

He asked that I give them the chance to counter offer. I said go ahead, out of a sense of guilt, I think.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:06 pm
I'm very proud of you Duckie. I'd be shaking from the adrenaline rush.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:08 pm
Oh, how did you know. I had to go get a coffee because I had the chills. I'm still kind of shaky.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:36 pm
High five!!!
Right on.. felx those corporate balls girl-friend..
Laughing

really.. i am proud of you.
I would never EVER be able to do that and I can only imagine how you feel right now.
Probally still looking over your shoulder..
Are they gonna hit me with a baton yet???
Shaking -
I cant believe i said that!!
Daring -
what ELSE can I dump on them?
and elated..
good job!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:46 pm
I've only ever done that once in my life......and I still remember every word, and still get all worked up when I play it through in my mind on rare occasions.
It is something that is both VERY stressful, yet SO satisfying when it is all over.

A bit like a honeymoon, really.

You should be proud of yourself....and if/when he comes with the "counter" offer, have your look of derision rehearsed thoroughly.

ENJOY THE DAY! You will re-live it in the wee small hours, for years to come.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:49 pm
it is funny how stressful situations where you are required to stand up for yourself beyond your comfort zone, makes such a lasting impression.
So much so that even as LE said... a few years later, it still gives you an endorphine high.. Very Happy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:00 pm
Yeah, what the others said.

Plus, you helped fix the company for those you'll leave behind, and you've opened up another opportunity for yourself. Good for you!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:04 pm
Ellpus, you hit the nail on the head. Actually, you all did. Shewolf, it sounds like you were there in my head. And Thomas, you're right. Truthfully, I'm glad they asked because if they hadn't, I would have thought there was no fixing it. I'm glad they want to fix it and I hope they do. I mean that. But I also feel good about doing what I needed to do.

I'm going to go practice my look of derision. What do you think, amused with raised eyebrows?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:09 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm going to go practice my look of derision. What do you think, amused with raised eyebrows?

And slightly flared nostrils, if possible.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:15 pm
Oh, that's fresh.
0 Replies