Right behind you, kickycan

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:23 pm
You guys crack me up. Thanks for all the good wishes and the even better advice. I've always loved Atlanta (so has hubby, he had a say too) and I think it's the best of all worlds for us. We are both warm climate people, and though Atlanta is hot hot hot, there are lots of trees for shade.

Thomas, come on over, the water's fine. Out of the IT industry, eh. I had the opportunity to make that move but it would've meant starting over for me. And in the end, I'm pretty good at this and it's a good living so I shouldn't be too choosy. But maybe I could live vicariously through you.

Bear, I would love to drop in on you'ns (now you know where I've been living). Maybe we can take a little vacation after we get moved -- show the new company what an excellent slacker I am.

Dag, I think your 6th sense is right so I'm going with it. Thanks again everyone for the very nice wishes. You're all making me feel really good about the move.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:25 pm
Excellent news, Duckie! Take that third week. It will definitely make the transition much easier.

Atlanta will be lots cooler now that you'll be there. Cool
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:25 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:28 pm
Congratulations on your move, freeduck. Next time I'm in Atlanta I'll stop in and we'll get drunk together.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:32 pm
That sounds great, gus. I'll lock up the animals.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:36 pm
How could I miss this thread? Congratulations, Freeduck! I love when people tell their old companies to go to hell. Free yourself, baby!!!!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:37 pm
Ah, my inspiration has arrived.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:37 pm
By the way, I'm planning a road trip that might take me to that area...you wouldn't mind letting me and whichever hooker I can find in town that night stay at your place, would you?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:39 pm
Just call ahead. I'll have my husband put his hooker out to make room for yours.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:40 pm
Excellent. Thanks. You're a peach. Gotta go now. It's chicken wing night tonight! Oooh, yeah...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:24 pm
I won??? Cool!

Atlanta's supposedly a pretty nice place to live FreeDuck. I hope everything works out just the way you want it to.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:19 am
ehBeth wrote:
Whatcha waiting for, Thoooooomas?

Oh, nuthin really. The only things that hold me back are laziness, lack of initiative, and inflexibility. (And maybe it would help if I scratched those characteristics off my cover letters. Whatcha think?) If I had any good reason it wouldn't be procrastinating. Unlike FreeDuck, who has two children and a husband to uproot, I don't have any good reason.

All the better for you, FreeDuck! I'd love to see your face when you have your last technical talk with Mr. Fresh-Out-of-College-Genius.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:52 am
Tee hee. I just gave him a good schooling too. God that feels so good it should it be a sin. He's over there feeling a little foolish. I should feel sorry for him, but I don't. Ah the freedom to let loose.

Yeah, J_B, I love Atlanta. I'm hoping we'll stay for a long time. There are lots of great things there for the kids -- including extended family and an awesome children's museum.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:09 pm
Ok, I need some help. I'm about to send my resignation email (won't do it in writing because my manager is non-local) and I need some help writing it. I don't want to tell them all of the gorey details about why right away. Something short and sweet. I've gotten as far as:

Dear <manager>,

I would like to inform you that

And that's it. I don't know if I should say "I will be leaving" or "I found another opportunity" or "I quit". Anybody have any thoughts on what makes a good resignation letter?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:16 pm
FreeDuck
FreeDuck wrote:
Ok, I need some help. I'm about to send my resignation email (won't do it in writing because my manager is non-local) and I need some help writing it. I don't want to tell them all of the gorey details about why right away. Something short and sweet. I've gotten as far as:

Dear <manager>,

I would like to inform you that

And that's it. I don't know if I should say "I will be leaving" or "I found another opportunity" or "I quit". Anybody have any thoughts on what makes a good resignation letter?

How about: I'm Outta here!

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:20 pm
Depends somewhat on your goals. Like, if you already have another job lined up you don't have to be as careful as if you will be requiring on him for a letter of recommendation -- but burning bridges is never a good idea. Short and sweet sounds good to me.

Maybe something like:

Dear Manager, I recently accepted an offer for an exciting job opportunity in Atlanta, Georgia. I very much appreciated my time here and [something personal about him/ how he helped you/ whatever]. My last day here will be [two weeks from now]. [Something else generally complimentary.] Take care [or "sincerely"], FreeDuck
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:25 pm
That sounds good, soz. I will omit the nice/personal thing because I don't know him and part of my beef with this company is the fact that they give you a new manager every 3 months and it's almost always someone who knows nothing about you. But the rest sounds nicer than what I have typed out. I think I'll borrow it.

I decided I would take half of the last week instead of the whole thing. It seemed like a good compromise.

Any suggestions on a subject line? Right now I have "resignation" so if he doesn't want to he doesn't even have to read it. Is that too obvious?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:31 pm
Hmm. Certainly to-the-point. Depends somewhat on the culture there. At my old job, that would be considered a slap in the face, but from what you've said and the fact that this sounds like it's mostly a formality (no particular personal relationship with the manager), that's probably fine.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:33 pm
Well, I'm not known for my social grace. Do you have a suggestion for something that might be nicer? I know I can burn the bridge if I want to, but I don't really want to. I do want to give them what for if they ask, but not here and now. So all suggestions are welcome.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:36 pm
Ummmm...

Not coming up with anything much better. "Hello" is how I think I headlined mine. :-) (And that struck fear into my supervisor's heart because usually it was something specific...) "News" maybe.
0 Replies