Right behind you, kickycan

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:29 pm
My question:

What if you give notice, they say "WHY???" you give them a version of the "what I'm worth" line, and they come up with a bunch of incentives? Higher pay, more power, whatever? Is there anything that would make you want to stay, or are you outta there, period?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:37 pm
Outstanding news.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:39 pm
Oooh, now there's a question. First, let me say that I really don't expect that. I gave them the schpiel about me not being ranked/paid appropriately and was told "I'll see what I can do" more than once. Nothing after that.

But if that DID happen, wow, not sure. Moving is a big deal and I'm not looking forward to uprooting the kids, but in the long run I think there's more for them there, culturally. So we would probably move eventually anyway. Most importantly though, this company and I don't really fit. Even if they could make things ok temporarily, they're too clunky and slow to respond to change. There's weird heirarchical-political stuff going on all the time that doesn't work for me. Humor and creativity are not "desired core values" and the bullshit is waste deep. And there's just no room to grow. Promotions and advancements are not merit-based and their criteria for evaluating the worth of employees is such that it promotes mediocrity and worse -- incompetence. (Witness my excessive time on A2K from work.) In spite of that, I have learned a lot here, but I think it's time to go.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:46 pm
: applause :

print that and hand it in with your 2 week notice...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:51 pm
Thanks, roger.

Tee hee, shewolf. I imagine that I will say something very similar to that. But you're right, as long as I have it all typed out I might as well recycle. Maybe I'll just send them a link to the thread. Bwa ha ha ha ha. That's a killer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:50 pm
Congratulations, FreeDuck! What good news!

I hope you'll like Atlanta. I wouldn't worry about finding housing...they're always building more there. And travel is very easy since it's a major hub.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest taking a week off between jobs. Just to clear your head. Besides, you're going to have a lot to do, with the move and the kids and all.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
Thanks for the good wishes and advice, Eva. I'm leaning that way. I hate to give up back pay, but a reduction in stress might just be worth it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:58 pm
Do you have medical coverage at your current job, FD?

Always a consideration when switching jobs here - don't want the gap between coverages to be too long.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 03:04 pm
Yes, I have it here and will get it there by the first of October. I believe my current coverage has to last through the month since I've already paid the premium, so that's ok. Plus, we've gone long spells without insurance and have figured out how to do without it if we have to. But thanks for the advice.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 03:22 pm
Congrats on the new job!

Atlanta's a cool place.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 03:40 pm
Atlanta is only 6 hours from Raleigh. Drop in on the Bears anytime.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 03:53 pm
pretty neat - but the week I spent there is was humid as hell
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:02 pm
Wow! Well done FreeDuck!!!

I hope the whole move is fantastic for you and yours!

Heehee - take this job and...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:08 pm
Duck flying South for the winter eh? ......

Well done on the new job!

I sincerely hope that your boss's sphincter goes into spasm during your farewell speech. I also hope that his/her boss is also present, to add to the unease.

Take the third week. Money is important, but nothing compared to your own wellbeing. I hope you find a lovely house in a nice area.

Good luck.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:20 pm
duck is free! yeehaw! a job well done! smooth sailing to you. atlanta will be grand. i can feel it. my sixth sense tells me so.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 04:31 pm
Re: Right behind you, kickycan
FreeDuck wrote:
Ok, here's the news. I got a new job. I just accepted it this morning and I'm so excited. The even bigger news is that it's not in my city so there will be a very big move coming soon.

Way to go! Cool

I'm still procrastinating about a similar step myself (move to America, preferrably smaller company, preferrably out of the IT industry). So I have some perspective what a big deal it must be for you. Good for you that you had the courage to jump, and all the best for your new job!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:07 pm
Rather you than me Thomas.My procrastination on that issue wouldn't last a pico second.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:13 pm
FreeDuck--

Wonderful news for a good person--hold your dominion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:14 pm
Whatcha waiting for, Thoooooomas?

Make it a trifecta.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:20 pm
Tico
Ticomaya wrote:
Well, good luck in Phoenix.

When did Phoenix move to the South? I'm confused and have misplaced my world globe.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies