Katrina-Bush and the political questions begin

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:26 pm
Setanta wrote:
I see that after this thread was locked, my response was deleted. Calling in your conservative moderator buddies, Tico? That won't discourage me. Your beliefs are a matter of complete indifference to me. I don't use blogs, i don't use op-eds, i don't regurgitate anyone else's opinions. I have my own reasons to criticize the Shrub, and i do so. What you think on the subject is irrelevant.

Laughing What are "conservative moderator buddies"? The moderators here do a fine job, and obviously felt your post was deserving of the treatment it received ... I had nothing to do with it, I assure you. In fact, I have no idea what you said in your prior post, it was so forgettable.

Setanta wrote:
Quote:
I have not demonstrated that any members involved in this discussion have blamed Bush for the hurricane. I've not even tried. What on earth lead you to think I had? If you would pay attention to what you are responding to, perhaps engage your brain before your fingers, you might have understood the question I was asking BBB ... or perhaps not and just jumped in anyway, blathering away as if you knew what you were talking about, when you clearly did not.

You wrote: "Do you Blame bush for the hurricane, or don't you?" Whether or not you like it (and i've no doubt you don't like being contradicted), i've the right to comment on anything posted here. So i pointed out that you can't accuse anyone here of claiming that the Shrub is responsible for the storms. As one can see above, you acknowledge that you cannot. Your comments about what i do or do not know are just more personal vituperation, something in which you always indulge when people don't roll over and play dead in response to your attempt at rebuttal.

I really don't think of you as unintelligent, Set, but I got to tell you, I do question your ability to read a sentence and comprehend meaning at times. Very often when it involves reading what I type. But in this case, I don't think you were fully aware of the context (in another thread, BBB accused Bush of being responsible for the deaths of all dogs that died in the aftermath of the hurricane, for the simple reason that his dogs were in Air Force One or the White House, and had not become victims themselves Confused ; I then remarked about how some anti-Bushies were implying that Bush was responsible for the hurricane; BBB then accused me of lying; I then posted the article from Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., who did imply Bush was responsible for the hurricane; BBB then posted some nonsense about Bush ordering Arks like Noah built Rolling Eyes; then in this thread, BBB seemed to be aligning herself with the thought that global warming increases frequency and intensity of hurricanes, and so I tried to pin BBB down as to whether she blamed Bush for the hurricane or not; that's when you came in; I never got an answer from her), but that didn't stop you, and you just jumped in, believing I had come from left field and accused your Aunt Bee of blaming Bush for causing the hurricane.

But the sad part is, I've already explained this context to you, but your pride simply won't allow you to let go. And you didn't tell me I couldn't accuse anybody here of claiming Bush was responsible for the hurricane. You said: "No, Bush is not being blamed for the hurricanes, so that sort of attempt at a dodge doesn't even get a nice try." So I corrected you, just like I corrected BBB. I don't think you like being corrected, do you?

Setanta wrote:
Quote:
You ooze rancorous contempt in your postings on a regular basis, apparently trying to bully other posters, usually dragging entire threads down to where your blackened heart dwells. Don't even claim the high road in that regard. You simply don't care for when others push back at you.

There is no long-lasting, bitter resentment which i cherish toward you, which is the meaning of rancor. On the contrary, i find you often hilarious, indulging in personal invective and diversionary discussions of semantics and writing rather than the topic at hand. You are often an endless source of comic relief, such as with purple prose like "blackened heart." And it certainly is not an exercise in attempting to take a high road to stand at street level and observe your residence in the gutter.

Rancor means "bitter deep-seated ill will." Perhaps you're right ... maybe your bitterness isn't deep-seated. I'll give you that. Let me rephrase: You ooze bitter contempt in your postings on a regular basis." Hell, you ought to agree with that much, I'd think.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:41 pm
Just reading Cyclop's link...

What the hell?

Is that well credentialled as a source?

I am just trying to figure out what on earth made those things happen as I am ruling out deliberate malice.

Still haven't read much.

Aaah! Mods must be doing a good job, as we hear both sides complaining.

Well done, Mod Squad.

Edit: I know you aren't complaining Tico. I was referring to moans from your side by others.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:52 pm
NYT: Battling the Storm

Police in Suburbs Blocked Evacuees, Witnesses Report
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 11:51 pm
Tico
Tico wrote: "I don't think you were fully aware of the context (in another thread, BBB accused Bush of being responsible for the deaths of all dogs that died in the aftermath of the hurricane, for the simple reason that his dogs were in Air Force One or the White House, and had not become victims themselves."

Tico, once again you have posted a statement you say I said, which is totally false. If you are going to quote me, put my exact statement in quotation marks rather than your distortion of my statements to suit your own agenda. I did not say what you claim I said. Shame on you!

BBB
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 11:55 pm
Re: Tico
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Tico wrote: "I don't think you were fully aware of the context (in another thread, BBB accused Bush of being responsible for the deaths of all dogs that died in the aftermath of the hurricane, for the simple reason that his dogs were in Air Force One or the White House, and had not become victims themselves."

Tico, once again you have posted a statement you say I said, which is totally false. If you are going to quote me, put my exact statement in quotation marks rather than your distortion of my statements to suit your own agenda. I did not say what you claim I said. Shame on you!

BBB

Okay ... here you go:

Ticomaya wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
you sentimental old thing

all those dogs on car roofs were told the US govt. had pledged $60bn. They died happy I'm sure.

Are you really blaming Bush because dogs died on car roofs?

Tico, why not? Bush's Barney was safe on Airforce One and in the Whitehouse.

BBB

An interesting insight into how your mind works, BBB: Since Bush's dog was not a victim of the hurricane -- a force of nature that Bush did not create, regardless of how many anti-Bushies imply that he did -- Bush is to blame because animals that were in the path of the storm died.

Sage.

LINK

Which part of what I attributed to you is "totally false"?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:28 am
Tico
Tico, because as you often do, you took my post out of context and distorted what I said, which was in jest given the banter of the discussion at issue between three people. If you want to quote someone, you should at least post the actual quotation in the context in which it was made.

I must admit that you've demonstrated that you are very clever at doing this on a rather consistent basis. But it's not a trait I admire.

BBB
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:41 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Tico, because as you often do, you took my post out of context and distorted what I said, which was in jest given the banter of the discussion at issue between three people. If you want to quote someone, you should at least post the actual quotation in the context in which it was made.

BBB

Oh, so I didn't misquote you, what I said was not "totally false," and I did not distort what you said. You simply claim to not have meant what you said.

What "banter" are you talking about? What contextual clues indicate you were "jesting"? Was I supposed to glean your jocular intent from the lack of a laughing emoticon? Was it your use of profanity in your diatribe against Bush ("the most fu*ked organization I have seen in my long lifetime") just two posts earlier? Or was it your comment about being so angry and sad because of "all the human suffering and property damage" or the "plight of the pets" in your immediately prior post?

No, you certainly appeared to be in the same sour, cranky mood you've been posting in for a while now.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 12:57 am
Tico
Tico, well forgive me for being in a cranky mood at all the dying and suffering going on right now. Sorry I can't be all perky and joyous as you desire because I'm angry that people---and animals---are suffering so much. Aren't you?

I will not get into a pissing match with you because it would never end because you love the verbal sparing for the sport of it, and therefore is pointless---and is extremely boring for the other posters.

BBB
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 01:11 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Tico, well forgive me for being in a cranky mood at all the dying and suffering going on right now. Sorry I can be all perky and joyous as you desire because I'm angry that people---and animals---are suffering so much. Aren't you?

BBB

Don't you really think the dieing and suffering is really wound down? This comment doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic or empathetic to the people and conditions in the south.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:30 am
Lawers are good at pissing matches. And at obfuscating- what we call "moving the goalposts".
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 04:44 am
Anyone familiar with Stephen King's "The Stand"? That's what McTags post on page 43 reminded me of. Would our government do any better handling a biological attack?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 07:55 am
Squinney
squinney wrote:
Anyone familiar with Stephen King's "The Stand"? That's what McTags post on page 43 reminded me of. Would our government do any better handling a biological attack?

Squinney, I've not read any of Stephen King's books as I mostly read non-fiction, but I have seen a couple of films based on his books. What is The Stand about?

The piece that McTag posted just breaks your heart, doesn't it?

One of my neighbors, who has become a friend, came by on his electric scooter yesterday. He told me that he and his wife have been approved to take in two Katrina children evacuees until their parents can be found. They are both under four years old and will enjoy playing with my friend's son. We were both crying as he told me the news. They are such wonderful people. I wish I was young enough to help out, too. The people of Albuquerque have taken in several hundred evacuees. This city has a big heart.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 08:12 am
Chip Johnson's column in the Chronicle, adds some background re the paramedics' tale

I haven't read the NYT yet on the subject.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 08:51 am
Advance Men in Charge
September 9, 2005
Advance Men in Charge
New York Times

The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced this week that it didn't want the news media taking photographs of the dead in New Orleans. A FEMA spokeswoman talked unconvincingly about the dignity of the dead. But the bizarre demand, a creepy echo of the ban on news media coverage of the coffins returning from Iraq, is simply the latest spasm of a gutted federal agency.

It's not really all that surprising that the officials who run FEMA are stressing that all-important emergency response function: the public relations campaign. As it turns out, that's all they really have experience at doing.

Michael Brown was made the director after he was asked to resign from the International Arabian Horse Association, and the other top officials at FEMA don't exactly have impressive résumés in emergency management either. The Chicago Tribune reported on Wednesday that neither the acting deputy director, Patrick Rhode, nor the acting deputy chief of staff, Brooks Altshuler, came to FEMA with any previous experience in disaster management. Ditto for Scott Morris, the third in command until May.

Mr. Altshuler and Mr. Rhode had worked in the White House's Office of National Advance Operations. Those are the people who decide where the president will stand on stage and which loyal supporters will be permitted into the audience - and how many firefighters will be diverted from rescue duty to surround the president as he patrols the New Orleans airport trying to look busy. Mr. Morris was a press handler with the Bush presidential campaign. Previously, he worked for the company that produced Bush campaign commercials.

So when Mr. Brown finally got around to asking Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff for extra people for Katrina, it wasn't much of a departure for Mr. Brown to say that one of the things he wanted them to do was to "convey a positive image of disaster operations to government officials, community organizations and the general public." We'd like them to stay focused on conveying food, water and medical help to victims.

Political patronage has always been a hallmark of Washington life. But President Bill Clinton appointed political pals at FEMA who actually knew something about disaster management. The former FEMA director James Lee Witt, whose tenure is widely considered a major success, was a friend of Mr. Clinton's when he took office in 1993, but he had run the Arkansas Office of Emergency Services. His top staff came from regional FEMA offices.

Surely there are loyal Republicans among the 50 directors of state emergency services. But President Bush chose to make FEMA a dumping ground for unqualified cronies - a sure sign that he wanted to hasten the degradation of an agency that conservative Republicans have long considered an evil of big government. Katrina has proved that federal disaster help is vital, and that Mr. Brown and his team of advance men can't do the job. What America needs are federal disaster relief people who actually know something about disaster relief.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:09 am
Quote:
German plane with Katrina aid turned back from US

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press, THE JERUSALEM POST Sep. 10, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A German military plane, which was carrying 15 tons of emergency rations to survivors of Hurricane Katrina, was turned away by US authorities, officials said Saturday.

The plane was turned back on Thursday because it didn't have the required authorization, a German government spokesman said.

The government spokesman, speaking on customary condition of anonymity, declined to comment on a report in the German news magazine Der Spiegel that that US authorities refused the delivery by arguing that the NATO military rations could carry mad cow disease.

The spokesman said US authorities had since given a green light for any further aid deliveries. He said it was unclear whether there would be more flights from Germany.

A US Embassy official, who asked not to be named, cited temporary technical and logistical problems.

German military planes have flown several loads of rations to the Gulf Coast region. Berlin is also sending teams equipped with high-capacity pumps to help clear floodwaters.
Source

According to the news on radio, a second plane was send back just now.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
Hey, anyone know when those guys from FEMA are supposed to get there?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:15 am
Walter
World class idiots, wouldn't you say? No wonder they screwed up the evacuation so badly.

BBB Mad
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:24 am
Re: Squinney
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
squinney wrote:

Squinney, I've not read any of Stephen King's books as I mostly read non-fiction, but I have seen a couple of films based on his books. What is The Stand about?

The piece that McTag posted just breaks your heart, doesn't it?

One of my neighbors, who has become a friend, came by on his electric scooter yesterday. He told me that he and his wife have been approved to take in two Katrina children evacuees until their parents can be found. They are both under four years old and will enjoy playing with my friend's son. We were both crying as he told me the news. They are such wonderful people. I wish I was young enough to help out, too. The people of Albuquerque have taken in several hundred evacuees. This city has a big heart.

BBB

The Stand is a wonderful novel by Stephen King that pertains to the topic of the end of society by the medium of a Superflu, engineered in a lab in New Mexico (I think) and released by accident. The infection rate and death rate for Humanity is 99.8%.

The remaining people in the country watch things totally demolish around them in a period of just a few weeks. Eventually a larger plot develops around the struggle for the souls of those who remain, icons of good and evil.

The descriptions of the shutdown of society are eerily reminiscent to the things we have seen in the last few weeks; a breakdown...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:29 am
Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn, thank you so much for making up for my lack of knowledge about Stephen King Novels. The Stand sounds like it would raise the hairs on the back of my neck just as the events of today do.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:39 am
Good grief, re the German planes.
0 Replies