I f*cking quit!

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:37 am
Would someone direct me to a thread page which explains the motivation/frustration behind Kicky's quitting?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:41 am
Don't worry, Osso. I already have my boss' commitment to a letter of recommendation. He told me to write it, and he'd sign it. Once I get that piece of paper, all bets are off though...hehehe, just kidding. I don't have anything against my boss, and I feel like, for the next two weeks, nothing they give me to do will be able to get to me now. It's over, baby! F*ck 'em!...he says, menacingly.

Eva, thanks for the explanation of LTR. I should have known that! I'm about as sharp as a tennis ball sometimes. Rolling Eyes

Jespah, I think you mentioned your friend before. If things go that way, I'll definitely be PMing you for the number.

Chai Tea, I would love to meet your friend, if I end up going there, which looks like the strongest possibility right now. I'll be bugging you for a picture in late October if things don't work out in New York! I'm not kidding!

Wow, now I have two possible dates lined up. ****, I should have quit this stupid lousy job a long time ago!

I am getting very excited about things.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:42 am
BBB
Was it the commute to work?

A poluted water cooler?

A chair too low for his desk? he kept bumping his chin.

A world-class arse hole for a boss?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:46 am
Mapleleaf, this may give you some insight into my situation.

Gotta go out now.

Later!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:52 am
kickycan wrote:
... I have two possible dates lined up.... I am getting very excited about things.

A little too much info, yanno? :wink:
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:53 am
kicky finally got a date - are we going to see you on the tv reality show Hooking-Up?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 11:12 am
Kickycan, this whole thing sounds like big fun. I love it when people are planning adventures. I agree with Eva, even driving a truck in Florida sounds better than the hellhole you were in!

You can just be on "cruise control" the next two weeks. You've given them enough of your blood, sweat and tears. Just do whatever you "have" to do, but don't let them stress you out. The next two weeks will be over before you know it.

And you'll neeeever have to go back there again! Isn't that great!!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 11:16 am
kickycan wrote:
Don't worry, Osso. I already have my boss' commitment to a letter of recommendation. He told me to write it, and he'd sign it. Once I get that piece of paper, all bets are off though...hehehe, just kidding. I don't have anything against my boss, and I feel like, for the next two weeks, nothing they give me to do will be able to get to me now. It's over, baby! F*ck 'em!...he says, menacingly.

Eva, thanks for the explanation of LTR. I should have known that! I'm about as sharp as a tennis ball sometimes. Rolling Eyes

Jespah, I think you mentioned your friend before. If things go that way, I'll definitely be PMing you for the number.

Chai Tea, I would love to meet your friend, if I end up going there, which looks like the strongest possibility right now. I'll be bugging you for a picture in late October if things don't work out in New York! I'm not kidding!

Wow, now I have two possible dates lined up. ****, I should have quit this stupid lousy job a long time ago!

I am getting very excited about things.

wait, what age bracket are you interest in? She a comely 64.

no, no she's not at all, I just don't want to flair something up and have you say, "eeewwwu, whe OLD, at LEAST 23"
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:57 am
I'm going to be 40 next month, so actually I might be the one who is too old for her.

Stray Cat,

Cruise through the next two weeks doing only what I need to do? Yeah, I think I can do that. This is going to be great.

I went out last night to Smith and Wollensky's for a celebration dinner with a friend of mine. They have the BEST STEAK EVER! Mmmmmmmmmm...

But I woke up today without that same feeling of unbridled joy that I have had for the past twenty-four hours. Not that I'm unhappy about quitting, it's just that I don't have that same feeling of walking on air like I had friday and yesterday. I guess it's because I know I still have to go through the motions for the next two weeks at that dump. I don't think it's going to really sink in until I walk out that door for the last time. That is going to be the greatest feeling.

Hmmmm...I take that back. The greatest feeling is having someone wake you up with a blowjob. Nothing beats that.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:06 am
kickycan wrote:
I'm going to be 40 next month,

Shocked

for your birthday , i will send you a case of Metamucil....
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:21 am
Quote:
I'm going to be 40 next month

Eva has a great idea about birthdays. She calls 'em "Personal Indulgence Days" meaning you can do whatever you want, eat your favorite foods, and not do anything you don't want to do. For my next birthday, I'm going to have my own PID.

Quote:
I went out last night to Smith and Wollensky's for a celebration dinner with a friend of mine. They have the BEST STEAK EVER

No, Peter Luger's in Brooklyn has the BEST STEAK EVER...but, o.k., as long as you enjoyed it.

Quote:
I still have to go through the motions for the next two weeks at that dump. I don't think it's going to really sink in until I walk out that door for the last time

Aw, it'll be over before you know it. Hey! I wonder if they're going to give you a little goodbye party or luncheon? That should at least help to kill some time! Then, on your last day, you'll have another reason to celebrate!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:43 am
I always do that on my birthday! Coincidentally, I was actually talking about Peter Luger's last night while we were at Smith and Wollensky's. I want to go there at some point before I leave too. Everyone raves about that place. It's on my list of things to do.

I doubt there will be any party at work. I didn't even tell anyone I'm quitting, and I don't plan to. I think I've probably made myself into a pariah in my department with my tantrums and bad attitude over the past few months, and I hate phony niceties. I want to just walk out and not have any fuss be made about it. But I am such a big mouth though that I'll probably let the cat out of the bag at some point anyway. And I do like booze, so maybe a happy hour might not be the worst idea in the world...

Shewolf, one day YOU'LL be an old f*cker too!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:23 pm
Quote:
I was actually talking about Peter Luger's last night while we were at Smith and Wollensky's. I want to go there at some point before I leave too.

Oh, definately. If you like steak -- and who doesn't? -- you'd love it there. Peter Luger's has been around for over a 100 years and it has this nice old fashioned atmosphere. I love restaurants like that. And if you like booze, they've got a great bar there too.

Quote:
a happy hour might not be the worst idea in the world...

Sure, why not let them at least buy you a damn drink? Sounds like they owe you that much.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 01:17 pm
kicky, you sweet dawg! You have given us some of the happiest news that I have heard in a very long time! You have no idea how thrilled I am for you!! If I were there, I'd be hugging on you big time! Smile Smile

No doubt there is some bit of coming down as you mentioned not having that same high as you did on Friday and Saturday. That is perfectly normal. But when you get to work tomorrow, you will see it in a whole new light. You now officially get to claim "short timers attitude" and there will be nothing that will phase you as far as the work goes. You'll do just as much as you need to get by and you can actually start delegating your tasks to others in your department and that's an awesome feeling!!

I just love that you finally did this!! Happy, happy times for you ahead, my dear friend. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:38 pm
Hey, fabulous man! Sweet! Go get 'em, have some fun. And hey never get youself into an office nightmare like that again, 'k?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 11:06 am
kickycan wrote:
I'm going to be 40 next month, so actually I might be the one who is too old for her.

Oh Cool! I'm not sure of the exact age, but it's got to be between 39 and 45!

She's a honey!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 11:41 am
Congratulations, Kicky! I'm glad you're finally getting out of there.

But why now? I can't remember if you were waiting for a particular reason to give notice.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:04 pm
Finally yanked your balls out of your stomach and made it happen.

Now you have all the time you want to sit in peep show booths all day.

But seriously, congrats...that's awesome.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm
Florida!!, so are you now a made man?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:38 pm
Kicky, I had a slight momentary urge to yell, but it passed.

Seriously, it sounds like you researched your options before making the move and that you have some reasonable plans/ possibilities. And lord knows you had to get out of that job.

(Thanks for filling him in on LTR, Eva.)

My bias here is that you remind me of my dad in some ways (hee hee, seeing as how you're so oooooooold), in that he thought being a mailman would be a good honest job where he could get out and DO stuff and not have to deal with office politics yadda yadda and he absolutely hated it the whole time he did it. You still have to deal with supervisors (he had several epic feuds with superiors), you still have to deal with peers in one way or another (the generally conservative/ Republican slant of his co-workers made him batty), and the current benefit of just *doing*, not having to think too much, becomes a liability fast (he complained all the time about how deeply boring it was).

So I'm skeptical of the truck driving idea, I think you'd like it for maybe 2 months and then it would start to be a horror. I think you need something with a little bit more of an intellectual component. Maybe if you do both, truck driving and freelance graphic design?

Anyway, you do have a lot of skills and you're flexible and you WANT a change and you're free as a bird, it'll work out.
0 Replies