I f*cking quit!

kickycan

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:37 pm
Thanks, kids!

As for what I'm gonna do now...since I love New York AND I would love to live in the warmth and sunshine of Florida at some point, I have decided to put myself in the hands of fate. I am going to give myself two months in New York to try to make a miracle happen--that being to find a new job that pays as much or more than what I was making at JPMorgan.

I don't actually expect that to happen, but I'm going to give it a shot.

What I expect to happen is that I won't find a job in those two months, and then I will move to Rochester (where all my immediate family lives) for the holidays, get my CDL license, and then after the New Year, move to Florida...probably somewhere in the Tampa area...and look for a job. I figure that if I can't find anything in graphics right off the bat, I'll get a truck driving job to get me some income to start. Then I'll just see what happens.

I know it's not the most iron-clad plan in the world, but hey, I moved to New York seven years ago with absolutely NO plan, and that turned out to be one of the best moves I ever made.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 10:53 pm
Hats off to you son. I am tipping a gin and tonic in your honor.

Remember, There's always work at the bus station.

I look forward to updates.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:11 pm
Miracles can happen, Kickycan. Trust me! Things are going to get better now.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 12:13 am
Thanks for the tip of the gin and tonic, LionTamer. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Stray Cat. I do have a feeling that things are going to get better, just like you said. I admit, I am a little bit scared of the unknown, but oddly enough, I am also feeling a sense of calm, like it's all going to be alright. I already feel like a giant sack of **** has been lifted off my shoulders.

Two more weeks of this place and I'm gone. Wow. I almost don't believe I really did this. Wow.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:13 am
I'd donata a foot for you - but I need it.

I am thinking Rabbits' Footses for you, though!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 08:31 am
The calm is good.

Great that you did something instead of letting it eat away at you. You're free as a bird -- no LTR, no kids -- might as well act like it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 08:37 am
Amen.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:04 am
Kicky
My son moved to Brandon, Florida this year, which is near New Tampa. The following site has job listing in the New Tampa area:

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobs/FL/Tampa/Internet-New-Media-jobs

BBB
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:49 am
Thanks for the footses thoughts,dlowan! Soz and Freeduck, thanks for the support. Soz, I know you were all for me having more of a plan than this, so I was worried that you might come in here and yell at me! By the way, I must be slow today, because for the life of me, I can't figure out what the hell LTR is.

Thanks, BBB, I will definitely check that link out. Much appreciation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:50 am
I'm a seat-of-the-pants type myself, re these kind of decisions, and most of them have worked out for the better.
I think it is neat to be able to get that load off your shoulders, or elephant off of your foot, as you have the backup to do it. Enjoy your exploration...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:04 am

While you are looking Kicky, you can check this out:

http://classified.tampatrib.com/
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:04 am
Yeah, Osso, I am more of a seat-of-the-pants type too. I was so stressed out over this because I forgot that. I finally realized that I have a very good chunk of money to back me up, and a not-so-horrible backup plan if all goes to ****. And then I went back in time to seven years ago, right before I came to New York. It was there that I realized where I'd left my balls. I have now retrieved them and am all ready for this next adventure.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:05 am
Phoenix, thanks! I actually have been looking in that paper for the past few weeks, along with the Lakeland Ledger and a couple others. This is going to be fun.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:06 am
The St. Petersburg Times has a Tampa edition, too.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:08 am
Thanks again, Phoenix. I'll keep that in mind.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:13 am
Hmmmmmm,

I have a girlfriend who lives around Tampa who's single, beautiful and independant.........
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:28 am
kicky, is that Rochester, as in Noo Yawk? If so, I have a friend ... she's single ....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:29 am
I'm not Soz, but I think "LTR" means Long Term Relationship. In other words, you have nothing to tie you down there, so go ahead and fly!

I'm VERY happy to hear your news! It's been coming for a long, long time. I hope the next two weeks pass in a blur and you're out of there before you know it. Those kinds of jobs can take years off your life.

Driving a truck around Tampa would be a definite improvement.

It isn't the money so much...it's the peace of mind.

Sounds like you're feeling alive again. Good for you!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:32 am
Mmmm, do try not to tell anyone off... or make any other maneuvers that would mess up a reference too badly - she says, cautioningly.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:35 am
Kicky
ossobuco wrote:
Mmmm, do try not to tell anyone off... or make any other maneuvers that would mess up a reference too badly - she says, cautioningly.

In simple words, don't burn your bridges behind you. Always good advice even if it makes you yuk.

BBB
0 Replies