I f*cking quit!

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:59 pm
Thanks for those excellent ideas, Farmerman. Lobsterman doesn't sound bad. I don't know if it's me, but it doesn't sound too bad. I like the physical, outdoors aspect of it.

Now let's see...Green Witch, I appreciate your help, even though I don't hold out much hope. I really don't think I am going to find anything I like to do that will pay me enough to live on. Also, I have to admit, right now I'm thinking I don't really want to think about this stuff for the next couple days, and I am not feeling like my heart is really in this exercise.

Maybe later I'll come back and give this a real shot, but for now, here's my half-hearted beginning.

I like:

Reading. Writing. Listening to music. Live events, the bigger the better. Crowds. I have great respect for stand-up comedians.

Dichotomy: I like being creative in my personal life, but I hate the pressure that it brings when it becomes a job. I like being praised for good work, but I never feel like it is sincere, therefore I hate jobs where others can give objective input and opinions on my job.

Things I hate: Quick deadlines. Juggling multiple tasks. Being strapped down to a certain schedule everyday.

I'll come back with more later.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:00 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Stop me if I start to rant, OK? I have a great job. Really, I do. I just work with people who all hate each other. It's starting to get to me. Why do people have to be such ****?

I feel your pain. People suck, don't they?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:28 pm
I was going to respect your request to lay low on the topic, but then you posted a list, so here is my suggestion:

Start an open mic. coffee house in a college town. Encourage new talent like poets and stand-up wannabees to come and do their thing. You could have Garage Band Night so the local teenagers can come and try out their songs. You can M.C. the shows (great way to get the attention of wimmin folks). Don't bother with alcohol, it's too much time, money and trouble - just caffeine and desserts.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:33 pm
I forgot to add that you could also sell used books in your coffee house.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:43 pm
You know, I think Green Witch is on to something. Be your own boss, kicky!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:48 pm
Ha, the only problem with that is the fact that when I went on a little road trip a couple weeks ago, the one thing I realized was that I really don't think I can handle living in any city that isn't at least as big as Rochester. But I guess I could do something like that in Rochester, now that you mention it. I guess it doesn't matter where you do something like that. It's a good idea. Except without booze it just doesn't sound that exciting to me. I just think the idea of a musician hang-out bar is waay cooler to me. I've actually thought about opening a bar before.

The real problem is not having any clue how to run a business, let alone such a risky business as a bar, and not having the balls to risk trying something like that without any experience. I'd need a partner, I think. Someone who knows the ins and outs of running a business like that. I do know a guy who just opened a bar/restaurant a couple years ago in Rochester, and I think he's doing alright. Maybe when I get there I can talk to him and see what his thoughts might be on something like that.

But bars are so risky. Maybe I could just get a Karaoke business going. I could probably get him to let me do a karaoke night at his bar without a problem.

I like the books angle too, actually. Even for a bar. In fact, there already are a couple low-key bars that I've seen in NYC with books for people to read. Cool, although I think the idea is probably a little too hip for anywhere outside New York. Maybe a college town though, like you mentioned at first.

Okay, so I hope you aren't pissed that I've totally taken your idea and changed it into something completely different. And I'm too scared to take a risk like that anyway, so I don't know why I'm thinking it through with such enthusiastic detail.

Anyway, I'm sad, and I'm going to start drinking now.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:14 pm
I flattered you even gave it some thought. Actually, that's the whole point of "brain storming" - just throw out ideas and see what you can make of them.

If you want to learn a business- find someone who is already successful in that business and go work for them.

I think Rochester, Syracuse or Binghamton would be perfect for that type of business. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Buffalo.
0 Replies