Huh? Iraq Invaded Cause Saddam Killed 140 Villagers?

old europe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:07 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
As stated clearly by Bush any number of times, we invaded to resolve the question of whether Hussein had destroyed his WMD or simply hidden them better after years of evasion and deception by him. Had he succeeded in acquiring any of the really nasty sorts of WMD such as nukes or some bioweapons, just one of them could have been used to obliterate a western city and kill hundreds of thousands of people. How many ways and times do you need this explained?

Of course, this sets a precendent where any other nation could, based on your statement, invade the United States just in order to make sure that they aren't selling WMD to dangerous dictators. Given America's track record of doing so in the past (actually, giving away WMD for free), it would be paramount to the security of this any nation in order not to be bombed into oblivion with American WMD.

This is trivially false logic. That is like saying that because it is illegal for felons to own guns, a felon could reciprocate by demanding that non-felons disarm.

The United States has never said that no one can own WMD. We have only said that of the many entities who will seek WMD in the future, a small fraction of individuals who seem likely to wreak havoc with such weapons should be prevented. Saddam Hussein was a ruthless dictator, virtually the personification of evil, had attempted to annex neighbors and had friendly relations with terrorists.

The United States gave bioweapons to Saddam. By your logic the Kurds (provided they had the capability) could have invaded the US in order to "check out the place".

You liken Iraq or Saddam to a felon, and state that the US are a non-felon.

By what definition? What makes a nation a "felon"?

Proliferation of WMD? Cooperation with terrorists? Cooperation with dictatorships? Not abiding by the Geneva Conventions? Torture? Killing civilians? Disappearing people? Invading other countries?

Tell me, Brandon, what of the above does make Iraq a "felon"?

I shall now explain the trivially obvious to you. Iraq was ruled by a dictator, who tortured and mudered his own citizens, including gassing thousands of Kurdish civilians, attempted to use military force to add his neighbors to his own country, and paid the families of suicide bombers. Got it now?

Trivially obvious to whom? You think the USA are by definition the "good guy". But doesn't the good guy have to earn his reputation somehow?

What you're basically saying all the time is: We, the United States, were afraid that country X might have WMD. We were so powerful that no other nation on earth could stop us, so we invaded in order to check out country X.

Now, what if country Y is afraid that the United States are an evil empire and feels threatened by American WMD? Do they have the right to invade the States "just to make sure" that those WMD not programmed to hit their homeland?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:09 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
In addition, he is certainly guilty of torturing and murdering his own people for decades. This is certainly enough reason to be in jail.

His lawyers will probably say that this were just a few bad apples within the Iraqi military, and that investigations were already underway........
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:15 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Based on what was known at the moment of invasion, there was a reasonable probability that Hussein still had WMD and/or WMD programs. How is this not a threat?

If this was indeed the case, I'm amazed that more major powers didn't join the invasion forces.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:17 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
As stated clearly by Bush any number of times, we invaded to resolve the question of whether Hussein had destroyed his WMD or simply hidden them better after years of evasion and deception by him. Had he succeeded in acquiring any of the really nasty sorts of WMD such as nukes or some bioweapons, just one of them could have been used to obliterate a western city and kill hundreds of thousands of people. How many ways and times do you need this explained?

Of course, this sets a precendent where any other nation could, based on your statement, invade the United States just in order to make sure that they aren't selling WMD to dangerous dictators. Given America's track record of doing so in the past (actually, giving away WMD for free), it would be paramount to the security of this any nation in order not to be bombed into oblivion with American WMD.

This is trivially false logic. That is like saying that because it is illegal for felons to own guns, a felon could reciprocate by demanding that non-felons disarm.

The United States has never said that no one can own WMD. We have only said that of the many entities who will seek WMD in the future, a small fraction of individuals who seem likely to wreak havoc with such weapons should be prevented. Saddam Hussein was a ruthless dictator, virtually the personification of evil, had attempted to annex neighbors and had friendly relations with terrorists.

The United States gave bioweapons to Saddam. By your logic the Kurds (provided they had the capability) could have invaded the US in order to "check out the place".

You liken Iraq or Saddam to a felon, and state that the US are a non-felon.

By what definition? What makes a nation a "felon"?

Proliferation of WMD? Cooperation with terrorists? Cooperation with dictatorships? Not abiding by the Geneva Conventions? Torture? Killing civilians? Disappearing people? Invading other countries?

Tell me, Brandon, what of the above does make Iraq a "felon"?

I shall now explain the trivially obvious to you. Iraq was ruled by a dictator, who tortured and mudered his own citizens, including gassing thousands of Kurdish civilians, attempted to use military force to add his neighbors to his own country, and paid the families of suicide bombers. Got it now?

Trivially obvious to whom? You think the USA are by definition the "good guy". But doesn't the good guy have to earn his reputation somehow?

What you're basically saying all the time is: We, the United States, were afraid that country X might have WMD. We were so powerful that no other nation on earth could stop us, so we invaded in order to check out country X.

Now, what if country Y is afraid that the United States are an evil empire and feels threatened by American WMD? Do they have the right to invade the States "just to make sure" that those WMD not programmed to hit their homeland?

Anyone might be afraid of anything, but some things are realistic and some things are not. What you're basically saying is that there is no actual physical reality, and any time America tries to condemn a terrible dictator, it is just as easily condemnable as him. If I say that a criminal should be put his jail for his crimes, the criminal can say that I should be put in jail for my crimes. This is pretty feeble brained stuff.

In the future, many different entities will attempt to acquire WMD. Some of us are saying that the world should try to keep them out of the hands of a few of the worst dictators with histories of murder, torture, and annexing their neighbors. You actually disagree with this?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:19 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Based on what was known at the moment of invasion, there was a reasonable probability that Hussein still had WMD and/or WMD programs. How is this not a threat?

If this was indeed the case, I'm amazed that more major powers didn't join the invasion forces.

Lots of people prefer to look the other way and pretend that there is no danger. It happened before WW2, and I expect it to continue. Which specific part of my above quoted statement do you disagree with?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:30 pm
brandon wrote : "In the future, many different entities will attempt to acquire WMD. "

since the genie (the nuclear weapon) was let out of the bottle long ago, i doubt that much can be done to stop the proliferation. just look around the world and there are plenty of nations already with enough destructive power to blow up the world several times over - not a very cheerful thought, i have to admit.

watched andy rooney giving his short commentar and the end of "60 minutes". he mentioned that the united states alone holds enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world several times over- i forget how many times actually. his question was : " do the united states really need that many atomic weapons ?" his answer was a simple one : " only if you are an arms' manufacturer". hbg
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:31 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

France, Germany and Russia were more worried about their possible oil fields when sanctions ended that they wanted to keep out of it. By the way who did we find weapons made by during the war? That's right: French, German and Russia. No wonder they didn't want to help they didn't want to be shot by their own weapons.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:43 pm
Quote:
By the way who did we find weapons made by during the war? That's right: French, German and Russia.

Yeah, because all the anthrax from the States had already been used up during the war with Iran, and what was left after that on the Kurds.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:46 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Anyone might be afraid of anything, but some things are realistic and some things are not. What you're basically saying is that there is no actual physical reality, and any time America tries to condemn a terrible dictator, it is just as easily condemnable as him. If I say that a criminal should be put his jail for his crimes, the criminal can say that I should be put in jail for my crimes. This is pretty feeble brained stuff.

In the future, many different entities will attempt to acquire WMD. Some of us are saying that the world should try to keep them out of the hands of a few of the worst dictators with histories of muder, torture, and annexing their neighbors. You actually disagree with this?

No, what I'm saying is: If you condemn somebody for something, then you better see to it not to commit the very things you condemn the other one for.

If you accuse somebody of proliferation of WMD, you better don't have a track record of giving exactly the very same WMD to exactly the very same "criminal" you are accusing, for example.
If you accuse somebody of torturing civilians, you better crack down hard on any case that surfaces instead of signing directives that state that the Geneva Conventions are not applicable.
If you invade somebody because he cannot prove that he complied with an UN resolution, you'd better not do it without legitimation through an UN resolution.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:46 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
It happened before WW2, and I expect it to continue.

Is that why the U.S. joined in WW1 and 2 so late?

B and B - you are the boys the MSM loves.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:48 pm
oh, i forget : during president bush's interview today he spoke of ... "our german, french and british friends" ... who will help control the problems in the middle east (not his exact words).
this seems quite a change from earlier comments made. hbg
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 06:46 am
Baldimo wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

France, Germany and Russia were more worried about their possible oil fields when sanctions ended that they wanted to keep out of it. By the way who did we find weapons made by during the war? That's right: French, German and Russia. No wonder they didn't want to help they didn't want to be shot by their own weapons.

The US was just involved with the oil for food scandal as any other nation, so that tired argument is beyond debunked. Maybe we just got tired of the middle man and wanted the source ourselves. I don't really believe that but it is just as logical as saying the only reason other countries didn't support the war with Iraq was their involvement in the oil for food scandal.

http://www.newsdesk.org/archives/000202.php

Quote:
Other suspects include former French interior minister Charles Pasqua, the former head of the Russian presidential administration Alexander Voloshin, British lawmaker George Galloway, the son of U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, and American oil traders Ben Pollner of New York, and David Chalmers Jr. and Oscar S. Wyatt Jr., both from Houston.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:43 am
Regarding wmd and saddam's containment I read an interesting article this morning with a statement from David Kay that pretty well sums the whole argument of whether we should have went to war based on the uncertainty of the existence of weapons of mass destruction.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/wmd/interviews/blix.html
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 05:39 pm
revel wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

The US was just involved with the oil for food scandal as any other nation, so that tired argument is beyond debunked. Maybe we just got tired of the middle man and wanted the source ourselves. I don't really believe that but it is just as logical as saying the only reason other countries didn't support the war with Iraq was their involvement in the oil for food scandal.

http://www.newsdesk.org/archives/000202.php

Quote:
Other suspects include former French interior minister Charles Pasqua, the former head of the Russian presidential administration Alexander Voloshin, British lawmaker George Galloway, the son of U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, and American oil traders Ben Pollner of New York, and David Chalmers Jr. and Oscar S. Wyatt Jr., both from Houston.

I said nothing of the oil for food progam. I was talking about having the sanctions lifted and the oil that would come from that.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 06:07 am
Sorry, I read too fast and assumed you were talking about the oil for food scandal.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 02:22 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/11/AR2005081101091.html

Saddam Could Be Executed After First Trial

By BASSEM MROUE
The Associated Press
Thursday, August 11, 2005; 3:07 PM

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Saddam Hussein could be executed after his first trial if he is convicted and sentenced to death for his alleged role in a 1982 Shiite massacre, even though he faces other charges, an official close to the proceedings said Thursday.

The first trial, which involves the deposed Iraqi ruler's alleged role in the 1982 massacre of an estimated 150 Shiites in Dujail, north of Baghdad, is expected to begin by the fall, said the official. He briefed reporters on condition that his name would not be used for reasons of security and the sensitivity of the case.

Iraqi authorities also are building about a dozen other cases against Saddam that they intend to try separately. Those cases include the killing of rival politicians over 30 years, the 1987-88 Anfal campaign that left tens of thousands of Kurds dead or displaced and the crushing of a 1991 uprising by Shiites following the Gulf War.

If Saddam is sentenced to death in the Dujail case, authorities could "theoretically" carry out the sentence without waiting for the other trials to begin, the official said.

"If the sentence were to be the death penalty, I think that the court will have to make a decision based on international principles, Iraqi law, whether or not there is need for him in another case for the prosecution or another defendant," the official said.

"It's possible but it's going depend on the circumstances when it happens, what other cases are going on," he added.

A five-judge panel was expected to set a date for the Dujail trial "within the next few weeks," he said, pledging the proceedings will be fair and transparent.

If the court is allowed to work without political interference, "you can expect to see trials that are transparent, that are fair, that are up to international standards that are in compliance with international law," the official said.

Saddam, who ruled Iraq for 23 years with an iron fist, has been in U.S. custody since he was captured in December 2003 near his hometown of Tikrit. Saddam, 68, was removed from power in April 2003 by a U.S.-led invasion.

© 2005 The Associated Press
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 02:24 pm
Saddam still claims he's the president of Iraq.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:21 am
For those that still think the invasion of Iraq, a sovereign nation, was about WMD, Saddam being a Boogeyman, or to "free" the Iraqi's...

Quote:
Rice: After 9-11 "We Could Decide the Proximate Cause Was Al Qaeda"
This morning on NBC's Meet the Press, Condoleezza Rice explains why we invaded Iraq:

The fact of the matter is that when we were attacked on September 11, we had a choice to make. We could decide that the proximate cause was al Qaeda and the people who flew those planes into buildings and, therefore, we would go after al Qaeda…or we could take a bolder approach.

This may be news to the Secretary of State but the proximate cause of 9-11 was al-Qaeda. Nevertheless, the administration decided to invade Iraq instead of focusing our efforts on destroying al-Qaeda and capturing Bin Laden.

Source

Quote:
Condi Rice: Verifies what we all Thought

On Meet the Press today, Condi destroyed the premise to go to war with Iraq that the White House pushed on the American people.

Condi Rice said nothing that backs up President Bush's "last resort" war. This is a war of choice in keeping with PNAC's view of the middle east. They wanted to change the face of the middle east and 9/11 was their excuse. Thanks for clearing that up for us Condi.

Crooks and Liars Has the Video

Quote:

SEC'Y RICE: I'm quite certain, Tim, that when the American people see every day what they see on their screens, which is violence and, of course, the deaths of Americans and coalition forces, it's very difficult to take. We mourn every sacrifice. But the fact of the matter is that when we were attacked on September 11, we had a choice to make. We could decide that the proximate cause was al-Qaeda and the people who flew those planes into buildings and, therefore, we would go after al-Qaeda and perhaps after the Taliban and then our work would be done and we would try to defend ourselves.

Or we could take a bolder approach, which was to say that we had to go after the root causes of the kind of terrorism that was produced there, and that meant a different kind of Middle East. And there is no one who could have imagined a different kind of Middle East with Saddam Hussein still in power. I know it's difficult, but we have ahead of us the prospect, and I think the very good prospect of a foundation for a democratic and prosperous Iraq that can solve its differences by politics and compromise, that becomes an anchor for a Middle East that is changing.

From Actual MSNBC Transcript

Okay. Everybody got it now? It really was about forwarding the PNAC agenda, NOT Saddam being a bad guy or killing a bunch of people 12 yeaars earlier, or having WMD's.

Get it? You were lied to.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:36 am
Wow! a great post squinney, We've Been Duped! Sad

I can't get the sound up on the video Sad

did she actually say "The fact of the matter is that when we were attacked on September 11, we had a choice to make. We could decide that the proximate cause was al Qaeda and the people who flew those planes into buildings and, therefore, we would go after al Qaeda…or we could take a bolder approach.. this ?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:43 am
What? Duped about what? You guys must be reading a different post.

Condi says that 9/11 was caused by al queada and that the US responded by first attacking al Quaeda and the Taliban, and instead of just stopping there, we declared a war on terror and Muslim extremism.

What does this have to do with the reasons we attacked Iraq?
0 Replies