Huh? Iraq Invaded Cause Saddam Killed 140 Villagers?

boomerang

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:01 pm
I'm bookmarking just in case anyone really address squinney's original question and added questions.

I think it was Tico who said that the charge of killing 140 villagers was the first of many anticipated charges.

Haven't we had time to work out those charges by now? It seems to me that we would have them ready.

And, wouldn't he be tried under the law in effect at the time of his arrest? How would the new constitution determine his sentence?

Maybe I'm being thick but I really don't know how this works.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:18 pm
I repeat......

blueveinedthrobber wrote:
My prediciton

Saddam will end up living in exile on some beach, with millions of dollars getting his knob polished when this is over.

anyone want tp dispute this dead serious predicition?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:45 pm
Quote:
Iraqi-run Tribunal Is Major Progress toward
Democratic Rule of Law

By Eric N. Ward and Matthew R. A. Heiman *
Christian Science Monitor
July 19, 2005

The first criminal charges against Saddam Hussein, filed Sunday by the Iraqi Special Tribunal, show that an important but not often heralded process is at work beneath that nation's turbulent surface.

More than just a court, the tribunal is a key player in progress being made in the establishment of rule of law in Iraq. Why? Because the tribunal, an ad hoc court under Iraqi law created to mete out justice to the ancien régime, will foster a rule-of-law culture; train a generation of Iraqi judges and lawyers in criminal prosecution; and set new standards for detentions, interrogations, and trials.

Despite its transformative potential, however, the tribunal has, since its inception in December 2003, come under fire from a variety of sources. Some argue that it is insufficient to safeguard the rights of the accused; others object to its power to apply the death penalty. Most critics would have preferred a UN tribunal. Whether the Iraqi Special Tribunal satisfies Western standards or not,these critics ignore the net benefits to Iraq of a locally run tribunal in aiding the establishment of democracy.

By any measure, Saddam Hussein's 24-year rule was brutal, and there is broad agreement in the new Iraqi government and in the international community that the former regime's disdain for its people should be laid bare in a court of law. There is a split in the international community, however, on how best to organize the trials. Critics, including the UN, contend that the trials can satisfy international standards of due process only if they are authorized by an international mandate and are presided over by eminent international jurists. For these critics, the appropriate model is a war-crimes tribunal similar to the one established by the Security Council for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague.

But Iraq is not Yugoslavia. The conditions that led the international community to institute the Yugoslavia Tribunal - principally, lack of political will, infrastructure, and adequate resources in Yugoslavia itself - are absent in Iraq's case. In fact, not only are Iraqis willing and able to conduct the trials, but their doing so within Iraq can play a key part in establishing the legitimacy of the new Iraqi government and promoting the rule of law.

The first case against Hussein is related to the 1982 massacre of Shiite villagers following a failed assassination attempt against him. By dragging into plain view this atrocity and others committed under Hussein's repressive rule, these trials will undermine any lingering nostalgia for the "good old days" of his regime and discredit his remaining supporters.

A key benefit to having the Iraqis conduct these trials is that they will be held locally and in Arabic, making them fully accessible to the Iraqi press and the Iraqi public. Like Germans after Nuremberg, Iraqis sympathetic to the Baathist regime won't be able to say, "it didn't happen."

Trials that reach the hearts and minds of Iraqis reinforce other important social and political messages. By establishing individual rather than collective responsibility for these crimes, they will place blame where it belongs: on the shoulders of Hussein and his cabal, and not on the Sunnis collectively or any particular village or clan.

Moreover, by avenging wrongs in an orderly and institutionalized manner rather than through blood feud and violent mob action, the trials will further buttress the transition to orderly self-rule and demonstrate the appropriate place of individual rights in a democratic society. It is an important lesson in a society formerly ruled by a despot that no individual is above the law and that even the accused are protected until proven guilty. By putting Iraqis in charge, they become responsible for upholding these principles.

The Iraqi Special Tribunal is poised to strengthen the atrophied Iraqi judicial system. Since Hussein's fall, its judges, prosecutors, and counsel have been instructed by international experts in human rights law, evidence collection and management, and courtroom administration. This education, and the actual experience of the trials, will be invaluable in raising the standards of Iraq's bench and bar.

Human rights groups contend that the tribunal may not adequately protect the accused because existing Iraqi law differs from what they perceive to be international standards of due process. This criticism presumes that only one set of procedures can satisfy due process, even though standards for arrest, detention, and trial vary significantly among Western nations. The question isn't whether the Iraqi system is identical to national or international systems, but whether the tribunal's procedures can deliver fair, impartial verdicts. Viewed this way, the criticisms leveled against the tribunal are less observations of actual shortcomings than they are exercises in comparative law.

There is a real risk, however, that undue political pressure will be brought to bear on the verdicts, and this situation should be monitored closely. Critics can take comfort, however, that Iraqi governing elites recognize that the legitimacy of the new government largely depends on these trials being viewed as real and not just for show.

Like all human institutions, the tribunal is not perfect. However, democracy and the rule of law aren't developed vicariously but rather through practice. The only way to establish the rule of law in Iraq is to give Iraqis the opportunity to do it themselves, and the tribunal is an important first step.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:47 pm
I repeat......

My prediciton

Saddam will end up living in exile on some beach, with millions of dollars getting his knob polished when this is over.

Um, yeah .... I predict Saddam will end up being sentenced to die before this is over.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:48 pm
I was going to read that article, Tico, but then I noticed it was from the Christian Science Monitor.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:49 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I was going to read that article, Tico, but then I noticed it was from the Christian Science Monitor.

Sorry, Gus. Didn't mean to try and expand your horizons on ya.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:52 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Actually, the article is also hosted by Global Policy Forum, so that might fall within your comfort zone.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:53 pm
Re: Huh? Iraq Invaded Cause Saddam Killed 140 Villagers?
squinney wrote:
So I'm reading this article about Saddam taking a billion dollars out of the bank before we invaded and thinking that's probably what anyone in that situation would have done and then I get to the bottom and read this :

Quote:
The trial of Saddam is not expected to begin until next year when the country's new constitution should be in place. That will determine what sort of sentence he will face if found guilty.

He is facing a charge of ordering the massacre of at least 140 villagers after a failed assassination attempt in Dujail, north of Bagdad.

Source

That's all we got? We invaded Iraq because this guy is such a horrible terrible meany man who ordered 140 be killed? What happened to hundreds of thousands in mass graves? What happened to charges of him using chemical weapons against his own people? What happened to not following UN resolutions? What happened to charges of him having maimed and raped and all sorts of bad things that led us to invade and save the people of Iraq from this tyrrant?

Is this all we have on him? Is this why 1800+ American and hundreds of coalition soldiers have died?

I guess this is the difference between the US charging him and the Iraqi govt charging him. I'm sure this is just the beginning with more to follow. We don't rule Iraq, the people of Iraq do. It is their job to charge him not ours.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 04:57 pm
Tico wrote:

Sorry, Gus. Didn't mean to try and expand your horizons on ya.

Do you have anything with pictures?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:22 pm
Tico and Gus - I've actually read some decent reporting from Christian Science Monitor. Not always as biased as one might assume. On a couple of occasions Buzzflash has directed me to an article there, and I've never been struck by lightening while reading it.

The above article makes sense as far as crimes by Iraqi's against Iraqi's, but what about Saddams threat to the US that made us have to go in and attack him, costing us billions of dollars and causing thousands of our children to be killed or maimed? What about not cooperating with the UN resolutions? Does he just get to walk away from the international court?

If he does, won't the result be that we sent thousands of our kids over there to kill thousands of Iraqi's so that Saddam could stand trial in an Iraqi court for the death of 140 villagers?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:27 pm
squinney wrote:
Tico and Gus - I've actually read some decent reporting from Christian Science Monitor. Not always as biased as one might assume. On a couple of occasions Buzzflash has directed me to an article there, and I've never been struck by lightening while reading it.

The above article makes sense as far as crimes by Iraqi's against Iraqi's, but what about Saddams threat to the US that made us have to go in and attack him, costing us billions of dollars and causing thousands of our children to be killed or maimed? What about not cooperating with the UN resolutions? Does he just get to walk away from the international court?

If he does, won't the result be that we sent thousands of our kids over there to kill thousands of Iraqi's so that Saddam could stand trial in an Iraqi court for the death of 140 villagers?

He is being punished as we speak. He is no longer in power. He can no longer kill or abuse people. He will remain this way for the rest of his hopefully short life.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:28 pm
Baldimo wrote:
squinney wrote:
So I'm reading this article about Saddam taking a billion dollars out of the bank before we invaded and thinking that's probably what anyone in that situation would have done and then I get to the bottom and read this :

Quote:
The trial of Saddam is not expected to begin until next year when the country's new constitution should be in place. That will determine what sort of sentence he will face if found guilty.

He is facing a charge of ordering the massacre of at least 140 villagers after a failed assassination attempt in Dujail, north of Bagdad.

Source

That's all we got? We invaded Iraq because this guy is such a horrible terrible meany man who ordered 140 be killed? What happened to hundreds of thousands in mass graves? What happened to charges of him using chemical weapons against his own people? What happened to not following UN resolutions? What happened to charges of him having maimed and raped and all sorts of bad things that led us to invade and save the people of Iraq from this tyrrant?

Is this all we have on him? Is this why 1800+ American and hundreds of coalition soldiers have died?

I guess this is the difference between the US charging him and the Iraqi govt charging him. I'm sure this is just the beginning with more to follow. We don't rule Iraq, the people of Iraq do. It is their job to charge him not ours.

It was so nice of the American government to spend billions of dollars to capture him so the Iraqi people can charge him. After all, it is their job.
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:33 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
squinney wrote:

Quote:

Source

It was so nice of the American government to spend billions of dollars to capture him so the Iraqi people can charge him. After all, it is their job.
Twisted Evil

Would you rather he be sent to the Hage(sp)? He would only sit there for years and years while nothing happened.

I happy his own people are judging him. Just as here in the states, we don't send people off to be tried by a court that isn't in the US. We deal with our own criminals just as they now have the ability and freedom to do so.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:35 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Anyone remember Chretien's thoughts about proof?

They make more sense every day.

Scary.

George Bush made Jean Chretien seem like a genius Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:52 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I repeat......

My prediciton

Um, yeah .... I predict Saddam will end up being sentenced to die before this is over.

Indeed.

Baldimo wrote:

Would you rather he be sent to the Hage(sp)? He would only sit there for years and years while nothing happened.

Can you substantiate your claim about the Hague with any reality?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 07:36 pm
Intrepid wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Anyone remember Chretien's thoughts about proof?

They make more sense every day.

Scary.

George Bush made Jean Chretien seem like a genius Very Happy

Turned out Chretien was right. There was no proof.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:36 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
I repeat......

My prediciton

Indeed.

Baldimo wrote:

Can you substantiate your claim about the Hague with any reality?

When was Milosevic sentenced? That's right he hasn't yet. How long ago was he captured? More then 5 years ago and is still either waiting trail or is already in trail. Either way it doesn't seem that the case against him is really going anywhere.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:01 pm
Yeah, and old Slobodan ain't goin' nowhere either . . .
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
Yeah, and old Slobodan ain't goin' nowhere either . . .

So the point about the Hague still holds.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:10 pm
That assumes that you've made a point. I see no evidence of that. Hussein has been on the run or in custody for over two years. He ain't goin' anywhere either . . . so just what is your point?
0 Replies