Huh? Iraq Invaded Cause Saddam Killed 140 Villagers?

squinney

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:53 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Saddam Hussein was a ruthless dictator, virtually the personification of evil, had attempted to annex neighbors and had friendly relations with terrorists.

But, evidently didn't break any laws. There are plenty of ruthless dictators. Do we invade them all? Then just turn them over to their countrymen to use as a legal learning tool?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:54 pm
No, we only invade the one's sitting atop the world's second largest proven petroleum reserves . . . why, looky there, all done . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:57 pm
squinney wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Saddam Hussein was a ruthless dictator, virtually the personification of evil, had attempted to annex neighbors and had friendly relations with terrorists.

But, evidently didn't break any laws. There are plenty of ruthless dictators. Do we invade them all? Then just turn them over to their countrymen to use as a legal learning tool?

It's like speaking to a child. No, we only invade the ones who are trying to perfect doomsday weapons that could inflict catastrophic injury on the U.S.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:00 pm
old europe wrote:
Yes, but the thing is that the US don't recognize the ICC. The States do recognize the UN, and accused Saddam of breaking UN resolutions, in order to invade subsequently without an UN resolution.

What international law are the States abiding by in order to try somebody else for failing to abide by it?

I dunno. Evidently we aren't abiding by any 'cause we aren't charging him with anything. Even "we" if expanded to mean the UN or any coalition forces, are not holding him accountable for breaking any laws, so I don't guess he broke any.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:03 pm
squinney wrote:
old europe wrote:
Yes, but the thing is that the US don't recognize the ICC. The States do recognize the UN, and accused Saddam of breaking UN resolutions, in order to invade subsequently without an UN resolution.

What international law are the States abiding by in order to try somebody else for failing to abide by it?

I dunno. Evidently we aren't abiding by any 'cause we aren't charging him with anything. Even "we" if expanded to mean the UN or any coalition forces, are not holding him accountable for breaking any laws, so I don't guess he broke any.

I certainly think he did commit crimes, but that's not at all the point. When a hideously evil dictator, who attempts to annex his neighbors is developing doomsday weapons so powerful that one could kill hundreds of thousands in a single shot, you need to stop him, whether he broke a law or not. Surely this is self-evident.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:06 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
squinney wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

It's like speaking to a child. No, we only invade the ones who are trying to perfect doomsday weapons that could inflict catastrophic injury on the U.S.

There is no need to be rude, Brandon. Squinney asked a fair question.

There was no supportable evidence of "trying to perfect doomsday weapons" in Iraq.

There was, and is, fact evidence of same in North Korea. Why not go after North Korea? If you're going to be afraid, be afraid of a real threat.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:12 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
squinney wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

There is no need to be rude, Brandon. Squinney asked a fair question.

There was no supportable evidence of "trying to perfect doomsday weapons" in Iraq.

There was, and is, fact evidence of same in North Korea. Why not go after North Korea? If you're going to be afraid, be afraid of a real threat.

You people have hurled every insult in the book at me, so don't be a hypocrite. Hussein is known to have possessed chemical weapons (which he actually used to kill people), bioweapons, and a nuclear program. That is not in doubt, the only question is how recently. As for why we don't go after North Korea, the answer is blindingly obvious. It's too late. North Korea is now nuclear. Should we attempt to invade them, the would have the option of using their nukes to kill a million people on the first day of the invasion. Now all we can do is whine impotently at them to play nice, no matter how absurd their demands. It was, among other reasons, to prevent Saddam Hussein from achieving this level of near invulnerability that we invaded.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:22 pm
Brandon - you are certainly not talking to a child on this end. You seem to be the one that doesn't get it.

We don't just invade countries that are a threat. It has been well publicized (finally) that it was known by this administration before the invasion that Saddam wasn't a threat and that evidence had to be faked in order to justify the invasion to the US citizens and the British.

Why is Saddam in jail? Because someone tried to assasinate him and in response he sent some of his soldiers to kill the people that tried to kill him. (That's the charges against him)

Remember GW saying "He tried to kill my Dad," and some claimed the invasion was just GW getting back at Saddam for that?

So, Saddam attempts to assasinate Bush Sr., and in response (10 years later) Jr sends his soldiers to get the person that tried to kill his Dad.

Saddam sits in jail.

GW sits in the White Hou... I mean Crawford.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:32 pm
squinney wrote:
Brandon - you are certainly not talking to a child on this end. You seem to be the one that doesn't get it.

We don't just invade countries that are a threat. It has been well publicized (finally) that it was known by this administration before the invasion that Saddam wasn't a threat and that evidence had to be faked in order to justify the invasion to the US citizens and the British.

Why is Saddam in jail? Because someone tried to assasinate him and in response he sent some of his soldiers to kill the people that tried to kill him. (That's the charges against him)

Remember GW saying "He tried to kill my Dad," and some claimed the invasion was just GW getting back at Saddam for that?

So, Saddam attempts to assasinate Bush Sr., and in response (10 years later) Jr sends his soldiers to get the person that tried to kill his Dad.

Saddam sits in jail.

GW sits in the White Hou... I mean Crawford.

So you would rather see Saddam go free? To rule the people of Iraq once again. I mean if he did nothing then he should be sent free? That's how it works in the US isn't it?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:38 pm
I don't believe anyone is saying he did nothing, he has done stuff in the past. However, he was contained at the time we invaded Iraq. There was evidence that shed some doubts on the piling on of Weapons of mass destruction even before the war so there was no reason to invade when we did.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:40 pm
I'd rather have him tried for whatever crime he committed against the world community / US. Without that, I find it difficult to justify an invasion and the deaths of so many thousands.

Think about that. The thousands upon thousands of soldiers and innocent Iraqi's that have been killed or maimed, for what? Because Saddam ordered that 140 be killed for having attempted to assisinate him?

(And those thousands I just mentioned don't even begin to include those being exposed to uranium enriched weapons in use over there.)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:42 pm
squinney wrote:

We don't just invade countries that are a threat.

Now this sentence is truly prize-winning. Any country that isn't willing, if other methods seem fruitless, to invade countries that pose lethal threats won't be around long.

squinney wrote:
It has been well publicized (finally) that it was known by this administration before the invasion that Saddam wasn't a threat and that evidence had to be faked in order to justify the invasion to the US citizens and the British.

Diametrically opposite to the truth. Hussein had lied to, impeded, and evaded the UN WMD inspectors. Either Hussein had destroyed his WMD and WMD development programs, yet mysteriously refused to prove it, or else he had not and had simply hidden them better. It was impossible to tell which. There was a reasonable probability of each. Had he merely hidden his WMD and WMD programs, he would have eventually had enough to act. One single one of those WMD might have eliminated New York City or London and killed hundreds of thousands of people. Or else he might have used them to coerce everyone into allowing him to dominate the region, for instance a re-invasion of Kuwait. You simply cannot show that there was not a reasonable chance that he still had WMD or programs, and if he had, he would have been a colossal threat to the whole world.

squinney wrote:
Why is Saddam in jail? Because someone tried to assasinate him and in response he sent some of his soldiers to kill the people that tried to kill him. (That's the charges against him).

Well, I guess that after torturing and murdering his his own citizens for decades, Hussein is kind of an innocent victim.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:45 pm
revel wrote:
I don't believe anyone is saying he did nothing, he has done stuff in the past. However, he was contained at the time we invaded Iraq. There was evidence that shed some doubts on the piling on of Weapons of mass destruction even before the war so there was no reason to invade when we did.

Exactly. And the things done in the past had been dealt with in the first Gulf War. If he were to be removed for crimes against humanity, invading a sovereign nation or for using chemical weapons on his own people it should have been done then. That's when those things happened.

The current invasion has nothing to do with any of that.

BTW, I did note the earlier use of "Annex his neighbor" by Brandon. Can't really call the Iraq / Kuwait thing an invasion of a sovereign nation and have that be a bad thing anymore, right?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:46 pm
revel wrote:

How do you contain someone who always has the option of smuggling a WMD into your country and striking a crippling blow against you? Kinda curious.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:48 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
As stated clearly by Bush any number of times, we invaded to resolve the question of whether Hussein had destroyed his WMD or simply hidden them better after years of evasion and deception by him. Had he succeeded in acquiring any of the really nasty sorts of WMD such as nukes or some bioweapons, just one of them could have been used to obliterate a western city and kill hundreds of thousands of people. How many ways and times do you need this explained?

Of course, this sets a precendent where any other nation could, based on your statement, invade the United States just in order to make sure that they aren't selling WMD to dangerous dictators. Given America's track record of doing so in the past (actually, giving away WMD for free), it would be paramount to the security of this any nation in order not to be bombed into oblivion with American WMD.

This is trivially false logic. That is like saying that because it is illegal for felons to own guns, a felon could reciprocate by demanding that non-felons disarm.

The United States has never said that no one can own WMD. We have only said that of the many entities who will seek WMD in the future, a small fraction of individuals who seem likely to wreak havoc with such weapons should be prevented. Saddam Hussein was a ruthless dictator, virtually the personification of evil, had attempted to annex neighbors and had friendly relations with terrorists.

The United States gave bioweapons to Saddam. By your logic the Kurds (provided they had the capability) could have invaded the US in order to "check out the place".

You liken Iraq or Saddam to a felon, and state that the US are a non-felon.

By what definition? What makes a nation a "felon"?

Proliferation of WMD? Cooperation with terrorists? Cooperation with dictatorships? Not abiding by the Geneva Conventions? Torture? Killing civilians? Disappearing people? Invading other countries?

Tell me, Brandon, what of the above does make Iraq a "felon"?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:50 pm
squinney wrote:

BTW, I did note the earlier use of "Annex his neighbor" by Brandon. Can't really call the Iraq / Kuwait thing an invasion of a sovereign nation and have that be a bad thing anymore, right?

Hussein declared that Kuwait was part of Iraq. That's annexing. We invaded Iraq to resolve the WMD issue, and are now helping them to create a constitutional democracy. As for Iraq being sovereign, Iraq was ruled by a group of thugs that maintained power by torturing or killing any citizen who tried to dissent.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:51 pm
squinney wrote:
I'd rather have him tried for whatever crime he committed against the world community / US. Without that, I find it difficult to justify an invasion and the deaths of so many thousands.

Think about that. The thousands upon thousands of soldiers and innocent Iraqi's that have been killed or maimed, for what? Because Saddam ordered that 140 be killed for having attempted to assisinate him?

(And those thousands I just mentioned don't even begin to include those being exposed to uranium enriched weapons in use over there.)

He committed more crimes against his people then he did anyone else. I say let them have him. There's a chance Saddam could get off with help from his friends in France, Germany and Russia. They would probably get him released from the IC and send him to some island where he would live in peace.

Why are you persistent that he goes to the IC?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:52 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
squinney wrote:

Now this sentence is truly prize-winning. Any country that isn't willing, if other methods seem fruitless, to invade countries that pose lethal threats won't be around long..

Sure, when taken out of context. I already explained that Iraq was not a threat. We invaded Iraq. Hence, we do not just invade countries that are a threat. We also invade countries that are NOT a threat.

squinney wrote:
Why is Saddam in jail? Because someone tried to assasinate him and in response he sent some of his soldiers to kill the people that tried to kill him. (That's the charges against him).

Well, I guess that after torturing and murdering his his own citizens for decades, Hussein is kind of an innocent victim.[/quote]

Didn't say he was nnocent or a victim. Just that what he is in jail for is as stated.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:55 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
As stated clearly by Bush any number of times, we invaded to resolve the question of whether Hussein had destroyed his WMD or simply hidden them better after years of evasion and deception by him. Had he succeeded in acquiring any of the really nasty sorts of WMD such as nukes or some bioweapons, just one of them could have been used to obliterate a western city and kill hundreds of thousands of people. How many ways and times do you need this explained?

Of course, this sets a precendent where any other nation could, based on your statement, invade the United States just in order to make sure that they aren't selling WMD to dangerous dictators. Given America's track record of doing so in the past (actually, giving away WMD for free), it would be paramount to the security of this any nation in order not to be bombed into oblivion with American WMD.

This is trivially false logic. That is like saying that because it is illegal for felons to own guns, a felon could reciprocate by demanding that non-felons disarm.

The United States has never said that no one can own WMD. We have only said that of the many entities who will seek WMD in the future, a small fraction of individuals who seem likely to wreak havoc with such weapons should be prevented. Saddam Hussein was a ruthless dictator, virtually the personification of evil, had attempted to annex neighbors and had friendly relations with terrorists.

The United States gave bioweapons to Saddam. By your logic the Kurds (provided they had the capability) could have invaded the US in order to "check out the place".

You liken Iraq or Saddam to a felon, and state that the US are a non-felon.

By what definition? What makes a nation a "felon"?

Proliferation of WMD? Cooperation with terrorists? Cooperation with dictatorships? Not abiding by the Geneva Conventions? Torture? Killing civilians? Disappearing people? Invading other countries?

Tell me, Brandon, what of the above does make Iraq a "felon"?

I shall now explain the trivially obvious to you. Iraq was ruled by a dictator, who tortured and mudered his own citizens, including gassing thousands of Kurdish civilians, attempted to use military force to add his neighbors to his own country, and paid the families of suicide bombers. Got it now?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:02 pm
squinney wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
squinney wrote:

Now this sentence is truly prize-winning. Any country that isn't willing, if other methods seem fruitless, to invade countries that pose lethal threats won't be around long..

Sure, when taken out of context. I already explained that Iraq was not a threat. We invaded Iraq. Hence, we do not just invade countries that are a threat. We also invade countries that are NOT a threat.

Based on what was known at the moment of invasion, there was a reasonable probability that Hussein still had WMD and/or WMD programs. How is this not a threat?

squinney wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
squinney wrote:

Well, I guess that after torturing and murdering his his own citizens for decades, Hussein is kind of an innocent victim.

Didn't say he was nnocent or a victim. Just that what he is in jail for is as stated.

He is charged with, among other things, gassing thousands of Kurdish civilians to death and annexing Kuwait. In addition, he is certainly guilty of torturing and murdering his own people for decades. This is certainly enough reason to be in jail.
0 Replies