Huh? Iraq Invaded Cause Saddam Killed 140 Villagers?

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 01:52 pm
So I'm reading this article about Saddam taking a billion dollars out of the bank before we invaded and thinking that's probably what anyone in that situation would have done and then I get to the bottom and read this :

Quote:
The trial of Saddam is not expected to begin until next year when the country's new constitution should be in place. That will determine what sort of sentence he will face if found guilty.

He is facing a charge of ordering the massacre of at least 140 villagers after a failed assassination attempt in Dujail, north of Bagdad.

Source

That's all we got? We invaded Iraq because this guy is such a horrible terrible meany man who ordered 140 be killed? What happened to hundreds of thousands in mass graves? What happened to charges of him using chemical weapons against his own people? What happened to not following UN resolutions? What happened to charges of him having maimed and raped and all sorts of bad things that led us to invade and save the people of Iraq from this tyrrant?

Is this all we have on him? Is this why 1800+ American and hundreds of coalition soldiers have died?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,511 • Replies: 139
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:10 pm
No, it is not the only reason.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:12 pm
I meant besides the oil, Coastalrat.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:13 pm
My prediciton

Saddam will end up living in exile on some beach, with millions of dollars getting his knob polished when this is over.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:16 pm
Bush explained this over and over and over. What's so difficult to understand? We invaded Iraq because after a dozen years, Saddam Hussein had not furnished the proof he was required to by treaty that all WMD and WMD development programs had been destroyed. There was some change he had destroyed them yet mysteriously refused to provide convincing proof, but also some chance that he has simply hidden them better. A serious WMD arsenal in the hands of someone like Saddam Hussein could have been a tragedy for the world. Just one nuke or bioweapon in an American city could kill hundreds of thousands of people. We simply had to finally, at long last, go in and resolve the issue. Had he been continuing to develop these weapons, there might have been a finite window of opportunity before it was too late.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:18 pm
No one buys your BS, Brandon, i'm surprised that you still attempt to peddle it . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
No one buys your BS, Brandon, i'm surprised that you still attempt to peddle it . . .

This is a non-argument. I could write the same sentence about any post made by anyone, including "Bush lied and thousands died." If you want to argue with my thesis, dispute my logic, but I don't think you do, and I don't think you can. And just for the record, it isn't "no one." Millions of people agree that this reasoning justified the invasion.

Furthermore, as you apparently fail to perceive, the only argument being made by me above is that this was Bush's stated reason for the invasion, and this most certainly is his stated reason.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:31 pm
I thought juniors stated reason was that Iraq had missiles that could reach our shores within an hour, had purchased yellowcake and were an imminent nuclear threat.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:33 pm
Oh look! Another well structured, meaningful post by Setanta that deals with the topic and discusses the merits of another posters contributions. A real "meaty" post that one!

Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:35 pm
Oh look! Another well structured, meaningful post by McGentrix that deals with the topic and discusses the merits of another posters contributions. A real "meaty" post that one!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:35 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bush explained this over and over and over. What's so difficult to understand? We invaded Iraq because after a dozen years, Saddam Hussein had not furnished the proof he was required to by treaty that all WMD and WMD development programs had been destroyed.

This was not, in fact, a part of the Shrub's contention. He secured his war powers based upon a contention that Hussein had recently attempted to obtain materials from which fissionable material could be made. The entire Wilson/Plame affair revolves around precisely that contention on his part. You are tarting up the Shrub's lie with your own language about Hussein's alleged failure to cooperate.

Quote:
There was some change he had destroyed them yet mysteriously refused to provide convincing proof, but also some chance that he has simply hidden them better. A serious WMD arsenal in the hands of someone like Saddam Hussein could have been a tragedy for the world. Just one nuke or bioweapon in an American city could kill hundreds of thousands of people. We simply had to finally, at long last, go in and resolve the issue. Had he been continuing to develop these weapons, there might have been a finite window of opportunity before it was too late.

Here you have left the realm of anything remotely related to the Shrub's contentions at the time he sought war powers. That his spin doctors may have trotted out something similar after the fact does not justify your specious contention that these were the reasons for the invasion at the time the invasion was launched. Then, we were repeatedly told that Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, and that lying gobshite Cheney came out with sneering remarks to the effect that we knew under which palm tree they had hidden them. You've injected your irrational paranoias into the bare statements of the Shrub (who can't handle sentences that long) to create this myth of what the Shrub said that you now attempt to peddle.

You make outrageous claims, and then try to suggest that i have to disprove them. Nonsense, those who make extraordinary claims have the burden of proof.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:38 pm
Oh yeah, I'm feeling the patriotic motivation to rise up and fight for my country....'s need to be completely sure that some guy in the middle east destroyed some weapons that some international body told him to destroy because if he didn't then maybe possibly he could be a threat to.... our allies. Yeah, I'd die for that cause.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:38 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I thought juniors stated reason was that Iraq had missiles that could reach our shores within an hour, had purchased yellowcake and were an imminent nuclear threat.

1. He certainly didn't say that Iraq had missiles that could reach the US. Indeed, the most likely form of delivery would be a suitcase bomb walked or shipped into the target country in pieces.

2. Not true. Bush said that he wouldn't wait until the danger was imminent. Had Hussein merely pushed his nuclear program further underground, he might have had a working nuke within a small number of years, particularly so if he attempted to buy the fissionable material rather than make it. No one who understands the dynamics disputes this. Such estimates are inherently imprecise, and you really wouldn't want to let Hussein get very close to the position North Korea now enjoys. Then, there is the whole other issue of bioweapons.

3. Your beloved yellowcake story is one of thousands of bits of information leading to the conclusion made at the time of invasion that Iraq might well have retained WMD and/or programs. Indeed, just the superficially obvious history of Iraq's WMD activities would permit that conclusion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:42 pm
The following has had the extra attack language by Setanta removed to keep the discussion going.

Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bush explained this over and over and over. What's so difficult to understand? We invaded Iraq because after a dozen years, Saddam Hussein had not furnished the proof he was required to by treaty that all WMD and WMD development programs had been destroyed.

This was not, in fact, a part of the Shrub's contention. He secured his war powers based upon a contention that Hussein had recently attempted to obtain materials from which fissionable material could be made. The entire Wilson/Plame affair revolves around precisely that contention on his part.

Quote:
There was some change he had destroyed them yet mysteriously refused to provide convincing proof, but also some chance that he has simply hidden them better. A serious WMD arsenal in the hands of someone like Saddam Hussein could have been a tragedy for the world. Just one nuke or bioweapon in an American city could kill hundreds of thousands of people. We simply had to finally, at long last, go in and resolve the issue. Had he been continuing to develop these weapons, there might have been a finite window of opportunity before it was too late.

You are suggesting that the only reason Bush gave to garner war powers was the yellow cake report? I believe Powell went before the entire world and spelled out the Bush administration case for war with Iraq. There was far more involved than Wilson's bogus report on yellow cake and you know it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:44 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
1. He certainly didn't say that Iraq had missiles that could reach the US. Indeed, the most likely form of delivery would be a suitcase bomb walked or shipped into the target country in pieces.

This is correct--it was Poodle Blair who stampeded Parliament with the contention that the Iraqis had missle-born weapons which could be deployed within 45 minutes.

Quote:
2. Not true. Bush said that he wouldn't wait until the danger was imminent. Had Hussein merely pushed his nuclear program further underground, he might have had a working nuke within a small number of years, particularly so if he attempted to buy the fissionable material rather than make it. No one who understands the dynamics disputes this. Such estimates are inherently imprecise, and you really wouldn't want to let Hussein get very close to the position North Korea now enjoys. Then, there is the whole other issue of bioweapons.

This rationalization on your part formed no part of the contentions upon which the Shrub sought and received war powers.

Quote:
3. Your beloved yellowcake story is one of thousands of bits of information leading to the conclusion made at the time of invasion that Iraq might well have retained WMD and/or programs. Indeed, just the superficially obvious history of Iraq's WMD activities would permit that conclusion.

This is utterly false. The "yellow cake" story is the only piece of evidence which the administration was subsequently able to trot out to support its contentions about a nuclear program in Iraq. Were there thousands, or even hundreds, or even just dozens of pieces of information, we'd have had them splashed all over the media long ago. The yellow cake story was the only thing they had to offer, and it was false. Once again, you are injecting your paranoid fantasies into the actual record of the evidence the Shrub and his Forty Theives of Baghdad offered to obtain war powers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:47 pm
McG has removed the portions of my response which point out that Brandon is gilding the lily with his own contentions about Hussein which were not a part of the Shrub's rationale for war powers. The Powell presentation at the United Nations was not identical to the "evidence" presented to obtain war powers, and it recieved a sceptical reception then at the United Nations. To put it bluntly, most UN members thought it was flimsy and a tissue of lies.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:48 pm
But, if any of this was true, why isn't he being charged with a crime?

If he wasn't supposed to buy yellow cake, and he attempted to do so, then he and the one selling it to him should be in some kinda trouble.

If he had contact with Al Qaeda operatives and provided in some way that contributed to 9/11, then why isn't he being charged?

If he didn't provide proof of demolishing what weapons he may have had as required by UN resolutions, why isn't he being charged with something related to that like obstruction or something under international law?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:52 pm
Miss Squinney, the Iraqis are trying Hussein, not us. They don't give a rat's ass about yellow cake or the putative range of al Samud missiles. Therefore, your questions are meaningless in a context of discussion of the Shrub's lies used to obtain war powers.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:54 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

This was not, in fact, a part of the Shrub's contention. He secured his war powers based upon a contention that Hussein had recently attempted to obtain materials from which fissionable material could be made. The entire Wilson/Plame affair revolves around precisely that contention on his part. You are tarting up the Shrub's lie with your own language about Hussein's alleged failure to cooperate.

From Bush's Speech to the UN:

Quote:
In 1991, the Iraqi regime agreed to destroy and stop developing all weapons of mass destruction and long-range missiles, and to prove to the world it has done so by complying with rigorous inspections. Iraq has broken every aspect of this fundamental pledge.

From 1991 to 1995, the Iraqi regime said it had no biological weapons. After a senior official in its weapons program defected and exposed this lie, the regime admitted to producing tens of thousands of liters of anthrax and other deadly biological agents for use with Scud warheads, aerial bombs, and aircraft spray tanks. U.N. inspectors believe Iraq has produced two to four times the amount of biological agents it declared, and has failed to account for more than three metric tons of material that could be used to produce biological weapons. Right now, Iraq is expanding and improving facilities that were used for the production of biological weapons.

United Nations' inspections also revealed that Iraq likely maintains stockpiles of VX, mustard and other chemical agents, and that the regime is rebuilding and expanding facilities capable of producing chemical weapons.

And in 1995, after four years of deception, Iraq finally admitted it had a crash nuclear weapons program prior to the Gulf War. We know now, were it not for that war, the regime in Iraq would likely have possessed a nuclear weapon no later than 1993.

Today, Iraq continues to withhold important information about its nuclear program -- weapons design, procurement logs, experiment data, an accounting of nuclear materials and documentation of foreign assistance. Iraq employs capable nuclear scientists and technicians. It retains physical infrastructure needed to build a nuclear weapon. Iraq has made several attempts to buy high-strength aluminum tubes used to enrich uranium for a nuclear weapon. Should Iraq acquire fissile material, it would be able to build a nuclear weapon within a year.

Source

Brandon9000 wrote:

Setanta wrote:
Here you have left the realm of anything remotely related to the Shrub's contentions at the time he sought war powers. That his spin doctors may have trotted out something similar after the fact does not justify your specious contention that these were the reasons for the invasion at the time the invasion was launched. Then, we were repeatedly told that Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, and that lying gobshite Cheney came out with sneering remarks to the effect that we knew under which palm tree they had hidden them. You've injected your irrational paranoias into the bare statements of the Shrub (who can't handle sentences that long) to create this myth of what the Shrub said that you now attempt to peddle.

From President Bush's 2002 State of the Union address:

Quote:
States like these, and their terrorist allies, constitute an axis of evil, arming to threaten the peace of the world. By seeking weapons of mass destruction, these regimes pose a grave and growing danger. They could provide these arms to terrorists, giving them the means to match their hatred. They could attack our allies or attempt to blackmail the United States. In any of these cases, the price of indifference would be catastrophic.

We will work closely with our coalition to deny terrorists and their state sponsors the materials, technology, and expertise to make and deliver weapons of mass destruction. We will develop and deploy effective missile defenses to protect America and our allies from sudden attack. (Applause.) And all nations should know: America will do what is necessary to ensure our nation's security.

We'll be deliberate, yet time is not on our side. I will not wait on events, while dangers gather. I will not stand by, as peril draws closer and closer. The United States of America will not permit the world's most dangerous regimes to threaten us with the world's most destructive weapons.

Source

Setanta wrote:
You make outrageous claims, and then try to suggest that i have to disprove them. Nonsense, those who make extraordinary claims have the burden of proof.

No, I suggest that you have to disprove them because you state without argument that they are false. This is a fundamental rule of debate, although I'm sure you'd like to dispense with the tiresome necessity of providing arguement along with your claims that my arguments are false.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:00 pm
Anyone remember Chretien's thoughts about proof?

They make more sense every day.

Scary.
0 Replies